Bethlehem Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Bethlehem

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Pesky Sellers

by machomikemd Written Sep 27, 2013

like in any tourism centered area, Bethlehem has it's share of pesky sellers and touts, althought the street sellers here are not as haughty or agressive as the ones in Egypt, they still are pesky enough and they try to make you guilty of not buying their products by emotional blackmail like you are a christian on a pilgrimage and you are not charitable and so on.

you can just ignore them and if you are in one of the approved shops of the tour company, they have iron grills to keep out these pesky street sellers.

• Religious Travel

• Bethlehem

by catch22uk Updated Sep 23, 2007

Firstly, let me say that I am a regular traveller to Israel (Jerusalem & Tiberias) and Palestine (West Bank - Bethlehem & Jericho). Over the last 12 months I've been four times to some wonderful places there and the warning of danger in Bethlehem, Jericho as well as Jerusalem are all overcooked, overstated and sometimes border on downright tabloid news type propaganda. Bethlehem is as safe as New York and I have literally wandered around Bethlehem with Palestinians until we got lost together with my female partner who is Jewish and white. It was far safer on those streets than in a New York subway (been once in the sub-way and never again!). It would help if people on here really separate truth from fiction and instead of regurgitating the rubbish that News Media spew out - they should say it as they find it and leave it at that! For the record, I am a Christian who loves the State of Isreal and Jews dearly and I love Palestine and Palestinians. Bethlehem is a lovely town and so is Jericho, which is sadly often deserted because of the rubbish written about "lack of security" which in my experience - is wholly untrue.

• Business Travel

• Oana_bic's Profile Photo

Serious safety concerns

by Oana_bic Written May 5, 2007

The city feels surrealistic and out of civilised rationale world..despite the warm welcoming few locals that we have met, a marriage that we have assisted and the holly places that we have seen, the desertness of city, adds on the street and traces of bullets everywhere give u a distinct feeling that there are serious safety concerns and at any time if you are in the wrong place you might be caught in a violent thriller story..

• Religious Travel
    • Architecture

• antistar's Profile Photo

Travel Advisory

by antistar Updated Mar 25, 2007

Most governments warn their citizens not to go to Palestine right now. There is danger there. The day before I visited Bethlehem, Fatah and Hamas were exchanging bullets in the streets.

If you really want to go, then Bethlehem is probably the safest and most easily accessible town in Palestine, and the West Bank is a lot safer than Gaza. I found the locals to be friendly, and the atmosphere was not threatening.

However, I also had the distinct feeling that the place was virtually an anarchic state. There is little or no funding for available for the police, and I didn't feel that if anything should happen to me, that anything would be done about it.

That means if someone should take a dislike to you, or decide you are more valuable as a victim than as a visitor, then there's not a lot the vast majority of decent people in the country can do about stopping them.

If you stick to the Church of the Nativity and Manger Square, you should be fine, but be aware that the situation there is tense and difficult, and that you are taking a significant risk compared to other travel destinations.

• blanter's Profile Photo

Safety in Bethlehem

by blanter Updated May 17, 2005

When you visit West Bank, safety is always an issue. Opinions range from "never go there" to "it is perfectly safe". I believe that there are no general recommendations, and everybody must decide to him/herself whether to go or not. I must add though that during my trip (half a day) I did not feel myself unsafe (March and May 2005). Everything seems to be under control now. For the record, I think that Gaza is extremely unsafe and would not recommend travelling there. For Bethlehem, you need to monitor the situation and check just before you start the trip.

Instant Answers: Bethlehem

Comments

Bethlehem Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Bethlehem warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bethlehem sightseeing.