To Wadi Kelt Monastery on a Donkey
Since the road to the Wadi Kelt Monastery is very steep, the local people offers donkeys for 'rent'. You have to bargain, but be generous because the tourists are the main source for money for living. And besides, 10 USD are not a big amount of money, for us, right?
- Arts and Culture
To Qarantal Monastery by Cabin Lift
Again, the Qarantal monastery is about 20 minutes walk on a steep road. Have in mind that the weather may be very hot and that you are in an area that lies below the sea level. So, for people with heart problems, it is not advisable to have a walk there. Instead, there is a cabin lift from the ruins of the ancient Jericho. Unfortunately, you still have to walk a little, since the end station of the lift is not just next the door of the monastery.
- Road Trip
Transportation to Wadi Qelt
As of April 2005: In contrast to Jericho, which is governed by the Palestinian Authorities, which means Israeli citizens are prohibited from entry. and others must get through the checkpoint, access to Wadi Qelt is free, but there is no public transportation.
1) Take a taxi from East Jerusalem - it is smth like 20 km.
2) If you are driving, it is an easy detour from the road to the Dead Sea. Watch out for the sign Mitzpe Jericho - Wadi Qelt; it is North of the road (left if you are driving from Jerusalem), before the actual turn to Jericho. Take a paved road and follow about 8 km. First, you will find an observation point of the Wadi and the monastery (a huge cross to the left of the road), some 500 m further - the access point to the monastery, where you can also make a U-turn. Technically, you can drive even further (straight to Jericho and left downhill to the monastery), but you do not want to.
3) In principle, any bus will stop at the turn and you can walk 10 km each way, but usually, again, you do not want to. Hitchhiking could be an option, but not really recommended.
Cable Car to Mount of Temptation
for intrepedid tourists and christian pilgrims who want to go up the mount of temptation top and the Greek orthodox church on top, Jericho has it's cable cars that goes back and forth the mountain from Jericho Town and the ride is less than 5 minutes. The cost of a round trip ride is NIS 55. addres is: Ain as-Sultan St, Jericho.
Opens 8:00 am to 8:00 pm everyday
according to their website:
The center is comprised of a state of the art cable car linking Tel Jericho to the Mount of Temptation in less than five minutes. The cable is 1330 meters long from the base station to the top station in the mountain. There are 12 cabins and each cabin takes 8 persons with a carrying capacity of 625 persons per hour. Cabin number two takes the wheel chair.
- Mountain Climbing
- Road Trip
Directly across from the Tel is a huge tourist complex with shops and a restaurant where every tour bus stops. A new hotel is being constructed as well. Another new addition since the Palestinian takeover is a modern cable car that whisks visitors to the Mount of Temptation
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
- Official Site
- Travelocity Official Site