Doha Restaurants

• Smashing of dishes on the stage and dancing
    Smashing of dishes on the stage and...
  • The Night of Bouzouki at the Intercontinental
    The Night of Bouzouki at the...
    The Murgh Makhni Stew soup

Best Rated Restaurants in Doha

Al-Khayal Restaurant

by HORSCHECK Written Oct 21, 2012

Al-Khayal Restaurant: Falafel

On our very first night in Doha we were in need of something to eat, so we explored the area around our Hotel The Torch. At around 22:00 p.m. we finally ended in the food court of the Hyatt Plaza shopping mall.

For some reason we chose to order from the Al-Khayal fast food joint, which belongs to the Al-Khayal restaurant in the heart of Doha's city centre.

Al-Khayal offers food from the Lebanese and Arabic cuisine like Kofta (mince meat balls), Sharwama (grilled meat sandwiches) or Falafel (fried chickpeas and beans balls).

I ordered 6 Falafel balls with salad (12 QAR) and a mineral water (4 QAR). The meal came with two pita breads. It was very filling and almost too much. Still it was an interesting experience.

Al-Rifaa Cafe

by HORSCHECK Written Oct 21, 2012

Al-Rifaa Cafe

One evening a work mate and me took the chance to wander around the Souq Waqif area. We decided to have dinner at the Al-Rifaa Cafe, which looked kind of local to us.

The cafe consists of a small kitchen with a glass counter; seating is only available outside at several tables. We went inside and the guy behind the counter explained which dishes were available from the metal pots behind the counter. For me it looked like the menu was printed on the large boards outside of the kitchen, but of course everything was in Arabian only.

I opted for a mix of chicken and vegetables. It was served in an aluminium bowl with a plastic fork. To drink I took a soft drink.

We took a seat outside and enjoyed some people watching, while we ate our arabian delicacies. My meal was yummy and filling and cost only 16,50 QAR (ca. 3,70 Euro) including the drink.

Shater Abbas Restaurant and Cafe

by HORSCHECK Updated Oct 21, 2012

Shater Abbas: Lari Kabab

Shater Abbas is a Qatari chain restaurant, which was founded in in 1998. They have 5 branches in Doha; some are proper restaurants others are fast food joints in food courts of shopping malls.

Iranian and Gulf contemporary style food is their speciality, so the menu offers a variety of barbeque dishes and curries from the region.

We visited their branch in the Hyatt Plaza shopping mall. I opted for a Lari Kabab (35 QAR) and a large Pepsi Coke (5 QAR). The Lari Kabab consisted of two skewers with grilled mutton meat, a small salad and white rice.

The meal came on an aluminium plate and paper plates. It was really yummy and filling, just the right dish after a long working day in the heat of the summer.

Deja Vu

by HORSCHECK Updated Nov 5, 2012

Deja Vu Logo

Deja Vu seems to be a mix of a restaurant and a cafe. The menu offers a variety of small international dishes as well as a wide range of all kinds of non-alcoholic drinks. Shishas (waterpipes) are popular here as well.

The place has a large AC cooled outdoor seating area in the pedestrianised cobbled street. One late evening a work mate and me decided to have a drink here after our short explorations of the Souq Waqif area.

I ordered a fresh lemonade for 18 QAR (4 Euro), which was good but probably a bit overpriced. Service was extremly slow, but still we enjoyed the place due to its excellent location for people watching.

• ElCidRugger's Profile Photo

The Movenpick Hotel: The best Italian this side of Roma

by ElCidRugger Written Jun 17, 2004

Thursday nights at the Movenpick is Italian night and I wouldn't miss it for the world. They have an excellent buffet or you can order a meal for a reasonable price. The vino rosso is surprisingly outstanding, although I can't comment on the white wine as I haven't had any yet. My favorite is the lasagna, which is better than (dare I say it) some I had in Italy. Buon appetito!

Favorite Dish: The lasagna! Served in a large Iron skillet, the top layer is covered in cheese and it is roughly five layers thick. Great stuff!

Far East Restaurant: Thai Food

by mikoykoy Written Dec 7, 2006

Far East Restaurant

a) two-floor restaurant
    b) clean and quiet
    c) not crowded.
    d) lot of food variety (based on what is listed in the menu)
    e) service is fast

I am not so familiar with Thai foods. I don't even have the chance to eat even once when I was in Manila. They said Thai food are so spicy but I think they are not that spicy.

Favorite Dish: Tom Yang Soup - fresh flavors of the seafoods
    Beef with Thai Sauce

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Royal Istanbul Restaurant: Tasty Food, Fair Price but it can get noisy!

by greekcypriot Written Nov 10, 2012

The entrance of the Royal Istanbul Restaurant

It is a nice budget Turkish restaurant by the West bay Petrol Station.
    We dropped by the first day of our visit to Doha because the rest members of the family love Kebab while I love the Turkish spicy sauces.
    It is a comfortable place to sit but the day we visited it the restaurant was crowded and there were families with small children making much noise which was disturbing a lot.
    It seems a quite popular spot probably because the portions are big and everything is tasty but I denied returning again scared that it would be noisy again so we called them and everything was brought to our place instead. (It is a Take away restaurant by the way)!

What I did not like was that smoking is allowed in the restaurant and that bothered me a lot, and seeing families having their children standing on the tables made me want to leave immediately –although the tables are being cleaned the moment one sits.
    I have never seen so spoiled kids in my life with parents ignorant of what their children are doing. I guess they have learnt to live this way but the picture I get is that probably nobody cared to show them how they should behave! It is disappointing and this spoils the picture of the restaurant.

Anyway, we had hummus for Qr.8, and three other spicy and delicious dips all reasonably priced.
    Served in the plate Meat Kebab, Chicken Tikka, Meat Tikka cost Qr. 28, but if in a sandwich they cost Qr. 10.
    The Royal Istanbul Pizza costs 33 the large, 25 midium 18 the small one.
    Soft Drinks cost Qr. 2 and the large bottle of water costs Qr.4.

Shrimp BBQ is at Qr. 130 and the most expensive plate in the Restaurant seems to be the Royal Istanbul Mixed Grill for Qr. 130

The staff is very punctual and professionals. I would not return but my son loves coming here with his wife for a quick snack. The food is delicious and I enjoyed whatever I had.
    I recommend it to people who are on a budget. The food is good.
    The interior is dark and it is actually ideal to drop by, eat something quickly and leave.
    (Free Home Delivery)

"MYKONOS" in Doha: No End to the Delicious flavours -A ‘must Visit

by greekcypriot Written Nov 12, 2012

Grilled Tiger Prawns

What a nice surprise to come across a restaurant in Doha that shares the same name with the most beautiful island of the world! Yes, for us Greeks the island of Mykonos is the most beautiful island worldwide and I also urge through this review anyone who has never visited it to do so.
    Being a Greek I inevitably felt that we had to visit it as its name was a challenge. We made reservations for dinner but we had to change it to lunch because we had to catch a very late flight back home later that evening. Of course when we found out that the real programme with music, dancing and singing…even with plates thrown in the air is on every single night (just as in Greece) I felt disappointed because we were going to miss all this.

The restaurant which is part of the Intercontinental Hotel was almost full the moment we arrived but we preferred to sit inside to avoid noise and heat. The hotel is located approximately 2.6 km from the city centre of Doha.

It is obvious that the owner of the Intercontinental who was enjoying his lunch only a few metres away from us by the pool has bonds with Mykonos and the Greek Mediterranean cuisine. This probably explains the name of the restaurant!
    What a relaxing and friendly atmosphere! Pity that it was our last day in Doha otherwise we would have surely be back another night to have dinner here.

I was curious to see what the signature dishes here are and they are mainly three.
    The Confit of lamb shank Qr. 110, the Beef stew “giouvetsi” Qr. 85 and the Hammour fillet Qr.90.
    Side orders cost Qr. 25 and these are -the Greek salad, Rocca salad, Mashed potato, Grilled vegetables, Potato wedges, or White rice.

For the curious ones who want to know the price of the Traditional Greek Mousaka it is Qr. 75, and the most expensive dish in the catalogue is of course the Lobster Linguini. It is served in light tomato sauce, basil and extra virgin olive oil and it costs Qr. 135.

Not long while we were looking at the catalogue the chef comes out to welcome us as he heard that we are Greeks. That was another surprise for me. Mr. Panos told us that several products like wines, olive oils and different other delicacies come from Greece and he even asked if we wanted to have some ouzo. Amazing! Being in Doha and in a Greek restaurant!!
    I urge people visiting Doha not to miss this restaurant with the myriad Mediterranean tastes. The catalogue is long and the chef guaranteed that everything offered is of the best quality with fresh ingredients.
    We got acquainted with the chef and the Greek people there and when asked what we wanted to have I explained that we preferred something light that day. I decided to rely completely on the chef for our menu.
    We did not have to wait long for the food to be brought to us. We accompanied everything with some fine pink ‘rose’ wine and this time Mr. Tsiknas was the one who decided for this.

Now as to what we had …We had the Traditional Greek Spinach pie for Qr.40, the Mykonos Greek salad for Qr. 65, the Zucchini Patties for Qr,50, the Staffed wine leaves “Dolmadakia” for Qr.45, the Marinated Octopus Salad for Qr. 75. All these were actually ‘mezzedes’.
    The main dish we had was Grilled Tiger Prawns which were mixed with green leaves, tomato and caper vinaigrette. Qr.126.

I did not regret that I let the people of Mykonos decide for our menu. Everything was exceptional, fresh and so tasty. If we ever go back and I think we will be back in Doha soon we shall come here for dinner for sure. You will get a complete different picture compared to other restaurants, with guests getting excited with the bouzouki music, the singing and dancing.

I highly recommend Mykonos by all means – A ‘must visit’ before going anywhere else!

Subway: Sandwich

by mikoykoy Updated Aug 10, 2006

Store Front

I think this is ideal for weight watchers. For me a 6" sandwich is already enough. Similar to their other stores, there is a choice for the bread -> Honey oat, wheat or sesame

For QR11, for a 6"sandwich. Add QR4 for soda and chips plus a choice of give away ->car sunshade, coffee mug or cap.

Favorite Dish: 6" Turkey Sandwich (number 10) on wheat bread - everything on it except onions.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

The Hub - The Encore Ramada Hotel Restaurant: Trendy, Quality Ingredients, Surprising Flavors!

by greekcypriot Written Nov 11, 2012

The Avocado and Shrimp Cocktail

We had dinner at the Hub restaurant one of the nights of our stay in Doha.
    This brand new restaurant is situated in the new Ramada Encore Hotel.
    It is only one k.m. from Souq Waqif, but if you want to come from the International Airport which is only 4 km. away you should take the exit from the arrival terminal on the C Ring road and drive for 400 meters till you reach intersection with an overhead bridge. You have to turn left on Ras Abu Aboud Street and drive straight for about 3.5 km till you see a green colored Woqod Petrol Station on your right. The Ramada is exactly behind the station with one way entry around the petrol station.

The Hub has a pleasant casual design and it seems it is the hotel’s hip, -a vibrant eating and meeting place ideal for an enjoyable lunch or dinner outing and also for business meetings and gatherings. It is situated on the first floor above the lobby. It might not have the luxury of other hotel restaurants but have in mind that the Ramada Encore is a small hotel in a contemporary style. Being centrally located it attracts businessmen as well and in fact there were several dining along next to us that night.

Service and presentation are impeccable and I noticed that everything was fresh with quality ingredients. Dishes were classic I can say but at the same time had an innovate twist.
    Out of 4 different starters one was the Greek salad that cost Qr.38 and the Caesar’s at Qr.45, we tried the Oriental Mezzeh Platter that contained cold hummus, moutabel and fattoush with hot kebbeh served with cheese and spinach fatayer. (Qr,45) and we had the Avocado and Shrimps Cocktail for Qr.50. Both dishes were amazing, so delicious and so nicely presented that exceeded my expectations.

If you are after soups there are three kinds to choose from at the Hub. It is the Minestrone, the Cream of Chicken soup and the 18th Century French Onion Soup. All cost Qr. 38 and we tried the latter which was superb.

There are 7 different main course dishes and price varies. Chicken Tikka Massala and Stuffed Chicken Breast cost Qr 60 with the Grilled Beef Tenderloin the most expensive dish which is at Qr.95. There is the Arabic Mixed Grill for Qr.75 but I picked the Grilled Fish served with boiled potatoes, leek confit and lemon butter sauce. This costs Qr. 70. I have to admit that the fish was delicious, the presentation fine but the sliced potatoes quite hard. They needed to be softer to match with the fish.

My husband had the Stuffed Chicken Breast and although the chicken and sauce were really good again here the sautee potatoes that accompanied the dish were hard. Potatoes were what we left in both our plates but that does not matter that much.

We accompanied our dinner with fresh juice Qr.22 and a non alcoholic beer Qr. 20. Mind you no alcoholic drinks are served out here probably because it is a centrally located hotel.

Finally we come to desserts where we had 5 alternatives to choose from. It was the Crème Caramel and Fresh Fruit Salad for Qr.25 each but we could not resist the three others which were a challenge for us. They were really delicious and nicely presented again. The Oriental Sweet Plate has a fine selection of assorted Arabic desserts (baklava, kunafa, Macron and Basbousa) for Qr,30. I admit that I would have preferred them a bit softer but still they were delicious.

I am a person who is not after sweets or chocolate cakes but the Double Chocolate Walnut Brownie which my husband had was irresistible. It has a rich chocolate sauce and a vanilla ice cream on top. I had a bite or two and I loved it. This costs Qr. 25.
    I left for the very last the one I liked most and I was happy that I have chosen it. I cannot find words to describe the Banana Split of the Hub! Go for it for sure.

The restaurant opens at 6.30 a.m and stays open till 11:00 pm
    On offer there are different snacks, beverages and a la carte menu the day long.
    Wi Fi is also free here.

People who wish to smoke have a separate area where they can do it while enjoying their lunch or dinner however I have to admit that we could feel some smell in the room even if we were sitting in the non smoking area.

Anyway, I highly recommend the Hub and I will definitely return if I ever visit Doha again. It was in all a nice outing in a trendy and lively atmosphere. Keep the good work up guys.

Ponderosa: Buffet Restaurant

by mikoykoy Written Jul 4, 2006

Store Front

Buffet Dinner = QR38.00 ( US$ 10.50)
    Wide array of salads, pasta, Mexican dish (tacos, fajita and nachos), lemonade, soda, others...

Steaks (T-bone, rib eye, fillet mignon, tenderloin tips)- ranging from QR40 to QR 50.

• bpwillet's Profile Photo

Bandar: Great views, Great fresh seafood

by bpwillet Updated Jul 19, 2008

Bandar Restaurants-Doha Harbour (old location)

This chain of restaurants USED to be right on the Doha bay at the end of the Doha Harbour. Their fresh selection of local seafood is wonderful and their chef's prepare traditional Middle Eastern style dishes as well as French. It is well worth it. Now this local chain has moved to the "new" souq area just behind the old fort. To end your time off you can smoke a sheesha and relax with an Arabian coffee or mint tea.

Favorite Dish: Any of the dishes that I had here were exceptional. THey seem to mix Asian with Middle Eastern flavors for a unique taste to all their dishes. If you do not enjoy seafood there are other dishes you may choose from and an array of mixed starters or desserts.

• bpwillet's Profile Photo

Fakhr al-Din: Mixed starters is the way to go!

by bpwillet Written Jan 4, 2004

Fakhr al-Din

The staff is so wonderful here. It is a chain restaurant that is located in a few places around Doha. So worth the visit. The food is fantastic and they can accomodate large groups. Some of their menu items are available in large sizes for that purpose.

Favorite Dish: Definitely try the mixed starters and mixed sampler. It is so worth it and will give you a taste of a lot of different traditional Middle Eastern dishes as well as some Qatari local dishes.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Al Bandar Restaurant

by frankcanfly Updated Mar 27, 2006

This upper class group of restaurants offers a multitude of cuisines. It's actually three restaurants, but you can order from the menu of any of them.

The atmosphere is one of the best things about this place. You can sit right on the water and enjoy beautiful views of the cityscape.

Overall though, I prefer the nearby Ras Al Nasaa Restaurant

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Tandoor Hamoor (Fish) during my last visit, it was delicious. So was the variety plate of Kebobs. Others ordered the seafood dishes, everything I sampled was good.

• mikoykoy's Profile Photo

Nando's: Chicken Espetada (Roast Chicken)

by mikoykoy Updated Feb 12, 2007

CHICKEN ESPETADA

I have been in Doha for almost 6 months and everytime I visited City Centre, I always wondered why there are so manu customers in this restaurant. At last, we tried it last weekend. I personally did not regret with our decision to eat in this establishment.

We were immediately attended by a Filipina staff. I tried their 2 piece roasted chicken with 2 side dish. I picked rice and coleslaw for side dish. They also served espetada which is a skewered chicken hanging inverted. This is the specialty of the restaurant. They also served soup together with the order.

When ordering, the staff will ask whether you like the food to be normal, mild or super spicy hot.

One thing I do not like the place is the lighting which I considered little bit dark.

They also sell Peri-peri, a condiment with different degree of spiciness.

Favorite Dish: I tasted the chicken liver ordered by my colleague. I will order this in my second visit.

Instant Answers: Doha

Comments

Doha Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Doha restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Doha sightseeing.