Doha Restaurants

• Smashing of dishes on the stage and dancing
    Smashing of dishes on the stage and...
  • The Night of Bouzouki at the Intercontinental
    The Night of Bouzouki at the...
    The Murgh Makhni Stew soup

Best Rated Restaurants in Doha

Al-Khayal Restaurant

by HORSCHECK Written Oct 21, 2012

On our very first night in Doha we were in need of something to eat, so we explored the area around our Hotel The Torch. At around 22:00 p.m. we finally ended in the food court of the Hyatt Plaza shopping mall.

For some reason we chose to order from the Al-Khayal fast food joint, which belongs to the Al-Khayal restaurant in the heart of Doha's city centre.

Al-Khayal offers food from the Lebanese and Arabic cuisine like Kofta (mince meat balls), Sharwama (grilled meat sandwiches) or Falafel (fried chickpeas and beans balls).

I ordered 6 Falafel balls with salad (12 QAR) and a mineral water (4 QAR). The meal came with two pita breads. It was very filling and almost too much. Still it was an interesting experience.

Al-Khayal Restaurant: Falafel

Al-Rifaa Cafe

by HORSCHECK Written Oct 21, 2012

One evening a work mate and me took the chance to wander around the Souq Waqif area. We decided to have dinner at the Al-Rifaa Cafe, which looked kind of local to us.

The cafe consists of a small kitchen with a glass counter; seating is only available outside at several tables. We went inside and the guy behind the counter explained which dishes were available from the metal pots behind the counter. For me it looked like the menu was printed on the large boards outside of the kitchen, but of course everything was in Arabian only.

I opted for a mix of chicken and vegetables. It was served in an aluminium bowl with a plastic fork. To drink I took a soft drink.

We took a seat outside and enjoyed some people watching, while we ate our arabian delicacies. My meal was yummy and filling and cost only 16,50 QAR (ca. 3,70 Euro) including the drink.

Al-Rifaa Cafe Al-Rifaa Cafe: Mix of chicken and vegetables

Shater Abbas Restaurant and Cafe

by HORSCHECK Updated Oct 21, 2012

Shater Abbas is a Qatari chain restaurant, which was founded in in 1998. They have 5 branches in Doha; some are proper restaurants others are fast food joints in food courts of shopping malls.

Iranian and Gulf contemporary style food is their speciality, so the menu offers a variety of barbeque dishes and curries from the region.

We visited their branch in the Hyatt Plaza shopping mall. I opted for a Lari Kabab (35 QAR) and a large Pepsi Coke (5 QAR). The Lari Kabab consisted of two skewers with grilled mutton meat, a small salad and white rice.

The meal came on an aluminium plate and paper plates. It was really yummy and filling, just the right dish after a long working day in the heat of the summer.

Shater Abbas: Lari Kabab Shater Abbas in Hyatt Plaza shopping mall

Deja Vu

by HORSCHECK Updated Nov 5, 2012

Deja Vu seems to be a mix of a restaurant and a cafe. The menu offers a variety of small international dishes as well as a wide range of all kinds of non-alcoholic drinks. Shishas (waterpipes) are popular here as well.

The place has a large AC cooled outdoor seating area in the pedestrianised cobbled street. One late evening a work mate and me decided to have a drink here after our short explorations of the Souq Waqif area.

I ordered a fresh lemonade for 18 QAR (4 Euro), which was good but probably a bit overpriced. Service was extremly slow, but still we enjoyed the place due to its excellent location for people watching.

Deja Vu Logo Deja Vu: My fresh lemonade Deja Vu: Local visitor

• ElCidRugger's Profile Photo

The Movenpick Hotel: The best Italian this side of Roma

by ElCidRugger Written Jun 17, 2004

Thursday nights at the Movenpick is Italian night and I wouldn't miss it for the world. They have an excellent buffet or you can order a meal for a reasonable price. The vino rosso is surprisingly outstanding, although I can't comment on the white wine as I haven't had any yet. My favorite is the lasagna, which is better than (dare I say it) some I had in Italy. Buon appetito!

Favorite Dish: The lasagna! Served in a large Iron skillet, the top layer is covered in cheese and it is roughly five layers thick. Great stuff!

Carluccio's: Average Food - Amateur Staff

by greekcypriot Updated Dec 24, 2013

I judge that the location is the only highlight of this restaurant and nothing else.

The restaurant is right on the Marina on the Pearl of Doha. It is a chain restaurant and from acquaintances who used to come here several times I had heard that they stopped coming because the food and service is not what it used to be.

Anyway, we happened to be in the area and very close to the restaurant and thought to drop in for lunch.
    I had heard of Carlcuccio and seen him on TV once, so my expectations behind this great name were higher. I had the feeling that the bad reviews come from people who might exaggerate but they are not.

FOOD: It was not a wow factor I can admit.

SERVICE: Very poor and the waiters amateur.

AMBIENCE: The terrace is the best part, wide and pleasant overlooking the marina. We intended to sit outside at first and enjoy the beauty of the day but the whole place out there was full of flies and one of the waiters suggested that we sit inside because of this reason. Part of the interior reminded me of the Mac Donald’s, while at the other end of the restaurant there was an interesting deli counter with variety of Italian delicacies, pastas, Olive oil, Cookery books and different Sauces, all bearing the name of the owner.

STARTERS: We had a Cheese Bread for a starter at QR 22, €4.50 and the Caeser Salad Chic. This was at QR 48. I found it flat, it was topped with flakes of cheese but it was not tasty at all.

MAIN COURSE: My dish was a classic risotto with prawns, squid rings and mussels, chilli and clams for QR 64 - €13. The seafood was definitely not fresh.
    The Chicken and Lemon risotto for QR 62. This was not good at all and it was left untouched on the plate.
    The Milanese dish at QR 66 was the only dish that was ok. We also had the Giardiniera (a schnitzel) which was average.

BEVERAGE: 3 diet Pepsis at QR 36 and a bottle of water QR 24 - €5.00 total €15.50.

The bill was QR 322 - €65.00 - 4 people.

For the quality of what we had and the service, I find it too much. The restaurant might have a good location, I admit that it is in one of the chic and most beautiful spots of Doha, but don’t forget that it is a chain restaurant bearing the name of the Owner only and it is not the Carluccio who prepares the dishes!

I believe if you desperately want to try the Italian cuisine, try another restaurant.

The Milanese dish with spinach balls The beautiful terrace overlooking the marina The Cheese Bread appetizer Ceasar's Salad with cheese flakes The dish I had -risotto with prawns

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Royal Istanbul Restaurant: Tasty Food, Fair Price but it can get noisy!

by greekcypriot Written Nov 10, 2012

It is a nice budget Turkish restaurant by the West bay Petrol Station.
    We dropped by the first day of our visit to Doha because the rest members of the family love Kebab while I love the Turkish spicy sauces.
    It is a comfortable place to sit but the day we visited it the restaurant was crowded and there were families with small children making much noise which was disturbing a lot.
    It seems a quite popular spot probably because the portions are big and everything is tasty but I denied returning again scared that it would be noisy again so we called them and everything was brought to our place instead. (It is a Take away restaurant by the way)!

What I did not like was that smoking is allowed in the restaurant and that bothered me a lot, and seeing families having their children standing on the tables made me want to leave immediately –although the tables are being cleaned the moment one sits.
    I have never seen so spoiled kids in my life with parents ignorant of what their children are doing. I guess they have learnt to live this way but the picture I get is that probably nobody cared to show them how they should behave! It is disappointing and this spoils the picture of the restaurant.

Anyway, we had hummus for Qr.8, and three other spicy and delicious dips all reasonably priced.
    Served in the plate Meat Kebab, Chicken Tikka, Meat Tikka cost Qr. 28, but if in a sandwich they cost Qr. 10.
    The Royal Istanbul Pizza costs 33 the large, 25 midium 18 the small one.
    Soft Drinks cost Qr. 2 and the large bottle of water costs Qr.4.

Shrimp BBQ is at Qr. 130 and the most expensive plate in the Restaurant seems to be the Royal Istanbul Mixed Grill for Qr. 130

The staff is very punctual and professionals. I would not return but my son loves coming here with his wife for a quick snack. The food is delicious and I enjoyed whatever I had.
    I recommend it to people who are on a budget. The food is good.
    The interior is dark and it is actually ideal to drop by, eat something quickly and leave.
    (Free Home Delivery)

The entrance of the Royal Istanbul Restaurant Side dish -spicy dips, pitta and hummus Enjoying my side dishes!

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

The Hub - The Encore Ramada Hotel Restaurant: Trendy, Quality Ingredients, Surprising Flavors!

by greekcypriot Written Nov 11, 2012

We had dinner at the Hub restaurant one of the nights of our stay in Doha.
    This brand new restaurant is situated in the new Ramada Encore Hotel.
    It is only one k.m. from Souq Waqif, but if you want to come from the International Airport which is only 4 km. away you should take the exit from the arrival terminal on the C Ring road and drive for 400 meters till you reach intersection with an overhead bridge. You have to turn left on Ras Abu Aboud Street and drive straight for about 3.5 km till you see a green colored Woqod Petrol Station on your right. The Ramada is exactly behind the station with one way entry around the petrol station.

The Hub has a pleasant casual design and it seems it is the hotel’s hip, -a vibrant eating and meeting place ideal for an enjoyable lunch or dinner outing and also for business meetings and gatherings. It is situated on the first floor above the lobby. It might not have the luxury of other hotel restaurants but have in mind that the Ramada Encore is a small hotel in a contemporary style. Being centrally located it attracts businessmen as well and in fact there were several dining along next to us that night.

Service and presentation are impeccable and I noticed that everything was fresh with quality ingredients. Dishes were classic I can say but at the same time had an innovate twist.
    Out of 4 different starters one was the Greek salad that cost Qr.38 and the Caesar’s at Qr.45, we tried the Oriental Mezzeh Platter that contained cold hummus, moutabel and fattoush with hot kebbeh served with cheese and spinach fatayer. (Qr,45) and we had the Avocado and Shrimps Cocktail for Qr.50. Both dishes were amazing, so delicious and so nicely presented that exceeded my expectations.

If you are after soups there are three kinds to choose from at the Hub. It is the Minestrone, the Cream of Chicken soup and the 18th Century French Onion Soup. All cost Qr. 38 and we tried the latter which was superb.

There are 7 different main course dishes and price varies. Chicken Tikka Massala and Stuffed Chicken Breast cost Qr 60 with the Grilled Beef Tenderloin the most expensive dish which is at Qr.95. There is the Arabic Mixed Grill for Qr.75 but I picked the Grilled Fish served with boiled potatoes, leek confit and lemon butter sauce. This costs Qr. 70. I have to admit that the fish was delicious, the presentation fine but the sliced potatoes quite hard. They needed to be softer to match with the fish.

My husband had the Stuffed Chicken Breast and although the chicken and sauce were really good again here the sautee potatoes that accompanied the dish were hard. Potatoes were what we left in both our plates but that does not matter that much.

We accompanied our dinner with fresh juice Qr.22 and a non alcoholic beer Qr. 20. Mind you no alcoholic drinks are served out here probably because it is a centrally located hotel.

Finally we come to desserts where we had 5 alternatives to choose from. It was the Crème Caramel and Fresh Fruit Salad for Qr.25 each but we could not resist the three others which were a challenge for us. They were really delicious and nicely presented again. The Oriental Sweet Plate has a fine selection of assorted Arabic desserts (baklava, kunafa, Macron and Basbousa) for Qr,30. I admit that I would have preferred them a bit softer but still they were delicious.

I am a person who is not after sweets or chocolate cakes but the Double Chocolate Walnut Brownie which my husband had was irresistible. It has a rich chocolate sauce and a vanilla ice cream on top. I had a bite or two and I loved it. This costs Qr. 25.
    I left for the very last the one I liked most and I was happy that I have chosen it. I cannot find words to describe the Banana Split of the Hub! Go for it for sure.

The restaurant opens at 6.30 a.m and stays open till 11:00 pm
    On offer there are different snacks, beverages and a la carte menu the day long.
    Wi Fi is also free here.

People who wish to smoke have a separate area where they can do it while enjoying their lunch or dinner however I have to admit that we could feel some smell in the room even if we were sitting in the non smoking area.

Anyway, I highly recommend the Hub and I will definitely return if I ever visit Doha again. It was in all a nice outing in a trendy and lively atmosphere. Keep the good work up guys.

The Avocado and Shrimp Cocktail Oriental Mezzeh Platter Enjoying our dinner outing at the Hub The Double Chocolate and Walnut Brownie The  amazing Banana Split

MYKONOS: Experience the Real Greece at Doha

by greekcypriot Written Dec 11, 2013

The ‘Mykonos’ of Doha offers the best in fresh, wholesome fine Greek and Cypriot cuisine. It is the unique spot to experience the Real Greece and savour the flavours of the Mediterranean right in Doha.

I came for lunch at Mykonos restaurant during my last trip in Qatar last November and I was so impressed with the great cuisine, the skilful and very talented Chef -Constantinos, the impeccable service and the stunning view. Well this time when back we did spent a few nights at the Intercontinental and dined twice out here.

LOCATION: Unbeatable! Based at the Intercontinental close to Katara -the valley of cultures, the tables at the terrace of Mykonos overlook the hotel’s amazing pool and just beyond in a short distance across it, the longest private beach of Doha. The location and the tables’ setting gives an impression that you are on a Greek island.

DRESSING CODE: Casual to smart mostly in the evenings.

SERVICE: Impeccable service, positive mood and Greek Warm Hospitality! The whole stay at the Intercontinental was exceptional, but being around the Mykonos restaurant, dining here and coming across the Greek guys made me feel like home.

THE GREEKS: The Executive Sous Chef is Konstantinos, formerly the Master Chef of Mykonos but as from this year he is responsible for all the Restaurants of the hotel. Talented and very skillful with initiative, Konstantinos has several awards on his background with a promising future.
    The new Chef of Mykonos is Ilias Kafalis and although quite young, he is extremely talented, gained considerable knowledge and experience in Paris, and he is quite popular in Greece. The two other amazing Greeks are Dionysios and Panagiotis (outlet managers). They are both ambitious and possess a genuine zeal for their work, they are extremely friendly and professional. I believe that all four make an amazing team and people keep coming back to Mykonos not only for its cuisine but believe me, these Greeks do make the difference.

Where else can you enjoy the antipasti buffet and see the Souvlaki turning on the hot coals! Dishes are complemented by a selection of Greek & Mediterranean wines. I chatted a lot with the two Chefs who assured me of the fine quality of the ingredients used here.

THE ROTISSERIE DINNER: We turned up on a Monday as this is the day of the rotisserie, after making reservations, had a nice little corner by the side out at the charming terrace. The waiter promptly whetted our appetites with a glass of wine and an ample and varied breadbasket (homemade breads) with some delicious Greek olives, virgin olive oil and sun-dried tomato tapenade. This specific dinner offers a good range of starters focusing on Greek Meze. (Variety of dips, salads and appetizers). Food lovers should know that the quantity is unlimited and the cost is QR 170. (€35.00)

The evening was looking promising and at the other corner there was the Bouzouki band playing and singing for us all. What a nice feeling this was! November and still warm, us out in Doha enjoying Greek music and Greek cuisine surrounded by other guests who seemed to be enjoying the beautiful dinner outing just as we did.

We had Tzatziki with carrot at first, Tyrokafteri with smoked pepper -a cheese dip and a few other starters. We had 2 kinds of salads –one with white and red cabbage with pomegranate and celery and the other was a salad with figs, peanuts but Ι miss the name. Both were refreshing and nice.
    The Eggplant roll with feta cheese cooked with sautted tomato was Yummy too! Pasteli kaskavali (kasseri cheese) served with sesame seeds, honey and smoked paprika. I found it tempting and so delicious!

BARBECUE: A great selection for meat lovers where they can enjoy Lamb chops, Beef slices, Chicken, Beef patties, Veal sausage and Lamb leg. This last one had an exquisite taste and this is what I had. It was tenderly delicious. The reason is the many hours of cooking. In an attempt to congratulate the Chef I found out that this specific meat is cooked in the oven for 6 whole hours. Now the side dish that can accompany all the above can either be potatoes, rice or sauteed vegetables. I preferred the latter and loved them because they were crunchy and fresh just like I have them at home. You will feel spoilt here with all this choice.

DESSERT: A big selection to choose from. Here again you can try anything –unlimited portions. We tried both Galaktoboureko and Baklava and accompanied both with some ice cream. A heavenly taste! There was an appealing selection of other desserts on offer too. If the other options are of the same quality and taste as the ones we tried, I would have no problem recommending them too.

THE A LA CARTE MENU:
    Personally I prefer this than buffets so another night we came to Mykonos to experience the a la carte menu.
    SERVICE: Staff could not have been more attentive, cheerful and courteous.

APPETIZERS: I love tasting different things and we had the Octopus marinated xidato with Eggplant salad (agioritiki) for Qr.80 (€16.00) I found it delicious.
    We had Steamed Mussels which smelled sea, but what makes them exceptionally delicious here besides the freshness, was the Greek Red Saffron added to them (Krokos Kozanis). It takes about 50.000 stigmas to obtain 100 gr and Greek saffron is the top best in the world, quality-wise. The dish costs QR.75 (€15.00) Highly recommended.

MAIN DISH: Kritharoto Shrimp cooked with (ouzo) parsley and virgin olive oil is another dish not to be missed. I felt spoilt for this choice and I urge you to try it. The cost was QR 105 (€22.00)

Throughout the night there was live music (Dimas band) with some of the most popular Greek songs while the atmosphere was beyond my expectations. It feels like a dream being in Doha and experiencing all these. If I were permanently living here I would at least come every week.

BEVERAGE: Beverage is prohibited in the majority of hotels in Doha. This does not happen here though! The wine selection is varied and sold by the glass or bottle, but the prices may remind you that you are eating in a five-star hotel.

We had the Xinomavro-Negoska (Goumenissa). (QR 55 glass) It pairs well with food with intense and rich flavor. I found it ok but it did not excite me though! We paired it with our Greek meze and the rotisserie menu.

The wine we had to pair our Seafood the other night was ‘Chenin Blanc’ and it comes from South Africa. The glass costs (QR 60 glass -285 bottle) I found it fresh and fruity. It is a wine that has a clean finish, shows a balanced minerality and acidity. I preferred this one more than the first wine we had.

DESSERT: An appealing selection for people who have a sweet tooth. I tried a few bites, found them wonderful, but I preferred to finish with some exotic fruit instead.

THE BOUZOUKI NIGHT: The most incredible was that we had the opportunity to return a few days after we checked out of the hotel for the “Bouzouki Night.” I could never have imagined that I would feel like home, surrounded by Greeks and Cypriots that special night with plate smashing while savoring the Greek/Cypriot Mediterranean delicacies. A night to be cherished!

In all, I found the restaurant superb in every aspect. I urge you to visit it if you have not as yet. It opens daily from 12:00 noon to 11.30pm.
    The new menu interesting and Ilias has set impressive standards. People prefer it because of its unparalleled service, fine quality ingredients and good value for money. I highly recommend it for a friendly gathering, a romantic outing or a special occasion.

Business Lunch at QR 99 for 3-course menu from Sunday to Thursday, 12:00 noon – 3pm.

Thank you guys for the impeccable service and attention to detail. Thanks to Rima (waiter) who had been so nice too. Be yourselves and keep the good work up.

Smashing of dishes on the stage and dancing With the Chef de  Cuisine Ilias An authentic Bouzouki night in Doha The Night of Bouzouki at the Intercontinental
    • Wine Tasting

Far East Restaurant: Thai Food

by mikoykoy Written Dec 7, 2006

a) two-floor restaurant
    b) clean and quiet
    c) not crowded.
    d) lot of food variety (based on what is listed in the menu)
    e) service is fast

I am not so familiar with Thai foods. I don't even have the chance to eat even once when I was in Manila. They said Thai food are so spicy but I think they are not that spicy.

Favorite Dish: Tom Yang Soup - fresh flavors of the seafoods
    Beef with Thai Sauce

Far East Restaurant Excerpt from the Menu Dining Room - Ground Floor Decorations

"MYKONOS" in Doha: No End to the Delicious flavours -A ‘must Visit

by greekcypriot Written Nov 12, 2012

What a nice surprise to come across a restaurant in Doha that shares the same name with the most beautiful island of the world! Yes, for us Greeks the island of Mykonos is the most beautiful island worldwide and I also urge through this review anyone who has never visited it to do so.
    Being a Greek I inevitably felt that we had to visit it as its name was a challenge. We made reservations for dinner but we had to change it to lunch because we had to catch a very late flight back home later that evening. Of course when we found out that the real programme with music, dancing and singing…even with plates thrown in the air is on every single night (just as in Greece) I felt disappointed because we were going to miss all this.

The restaurant which is part of the Intercontinental Hotel was almost full the moment we arrived but we preferred to sit inside to avoid noise and heat. The hotel is located approximately 2.6 km from the city centre of Doha.

It is obvious that the owner of the Intercontinental who was enjoying his lunch only a few metres away from us by the pool has bonds with Mykonos and the Greek Mediterranean cuisine. This probably explains the name of the restaurant!
    What a relaxing and friendly atmosphere! Pity that it was our last day in Doha otherwise we would have surely be back another night to have dinner here.

I was curious to see what the signature dishes here are and they are mainly three.
    The Confit of lamb shank Qr. 110, the Beef stew “giouvetsi” Qr. 85 and the Hammour fillet Qr.90.
    Side orders cost Qr. 25 and these are -the Greek salad, Rocca salad, Mashed potato, Grilled vegetables, Potato wedges, or White rice.

For the curious ones who want to know the price of the Traditional Greek Mousaka it is Qr. 75, and the most expensive dish in the catalogue is of course the Lobster Linguini. It is served in light tomato sauce, basil and extra virgin olive oil and it costs Qr. 135.

Not long while we were looking at the catalogue the chef comes out to welcome us as he heard that we are Greeks. That was another surprise for me. Mr. Panos told us that several products like wines, olive oils and different other delicacies come from Greece and he even asked if we wanted to have some ouzo. Amazing! Being in Doha and in a Greek restaurant!!
    I urge people visiting Doha not to miss this restaurant with the myriad Mediterranean tastes. The catalogue is long and the chef guaranteed that everything offered is of the best quality with fresh ingredients.
    We got acquainted with the chef and the Greek people there and when asked what we wanted to have I explained that we preferred something light that day. I decided to rely completely on the chef for our menu.
    We did not have to wait long for the food to be brought to us. We accompanied everything with some fine pink ‘rose’ wine and this time Mr. Tsiknas was the one who decided for this.

Now as to what we had …We had the Traditional Greek Spinach pie for Qr.40, the Mykonos Greek salad for Qr. 65, the Zucchini Patties for Qr,50, the Staffed wine leaves “Dolmadakia” for Qr.45, the Marinated Octopus Salad for Qr. 75. All these were actually ‘mezzedes’.
    The main dish we had was Grilled Tiger Prawns which were mixed with green leaves, tomato and caper vinaigrette. Qr.126.

I did not regret that I let the people of Mykonos decide for our menu. Everything was exceptional, fresh and so tasty. If we ever go back and I think we will be back in Doha soon we shall come here for dinner for sure. You will get a complete different picture compared to other restaurants, with guests getting excited with the bouzouki music, the singing and dancing.

I highly recommend Mykonos by all means – A ‘must visit’ before going anywhere else!

Grilled Tiger Prawns Mykonos restaurant Cheers to all from Mykonos in Doha Octopus, Zucchini patties and Greek spinach pie The Greek

Subway: Sandwich

by mikoykoy Updated Aug 10, 2006

I think this is ideal for weight watchers. For me a 6" sandwich is already enough. Similar to their other stores, there is a choice for the bread -> Honey oat, wheat or sesame

For QR11, for a 6"sandwich. Add QR4 for soda and chips plus a choice of give away ->car sunshade, coffee mug or cap.

Favorite Dish: 6" Turkey Sandwich (number 10) on wheat bread - everything on it except onions.

Store Front Choices of bread

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Nusantao Sea Kitchens -Four Seasons, Doha: Exquisite Cuisine - Steady Value!

by greekcypriot Updated Jan 13, 2014

The Exotic East Cuisine of the Nusantao Sea Kitchens is by far the Best I have ever tasted through the many trips I had in the Middle East.

THE NAME: Well, ‘nusantara’ –a combination of words in reality means Archipelago in Javanese while ‘Tao’ a Chinese word signifies way or direction. The combination evokes the memories of the century-old-tradition of voyages of Arab traders to South East Asia. The exchange of goods and knowledge in culture and cuisines.

THE TEAM: The multicultural culinary team with Chef de Cuisine Toshikazu Kato are behind open display kitchens offering authentic pan-Asian dishes from the Middle East, Japan, Indonesia, Thailand, India, and China. The cuisine is emphasized more on tradition than novelty dishes and this makes it one of the Top signature restaurants in Doha.

STAFF/SERVICE: The highest standards of impeccable service! We had the warmest welcome ever and I was happy to see Mijanur and Laurence, Ashraf and Jon and the other guys whose names I miss. A bunch of professionals, -experts in their work.

AMBIENCE: The interior is modern and glamorous with leather textiles in colors of bronze, amber and silver with flashes of turquoise.

PATIO: The two nights we dined here it was cool and beautiful so we chose to sit outside in the beautiful patio which is surrounded with tropical plants. A relaxed atmosphere, a live fire and a soothing soundtrack -designed to travel every customer’s culinary experience to Asian shores!

COCKTAILS: A cocktail appetizer is unique for a start. Out of the 8 cocktails my friend Laurence suggested the Mirchi-Tini and she was so right! It was a Martini with a perfect balance between spiciness & freshness. Never had something similar and I loved it, so we had it the next evening too.

We had some tasty Chinese dim sum morsels served in a small steamer basket –vegetable dumplings for QR 40 (€8.00) and Har kao (steamed shrimp, bamboo shoots and water chestnut) QR 45 (€9.50). Two pieces a portion.
    The other Chinese appetizer was the Wasabi prawns. I was impressed by the taste of this dainty crispy prawn dish. QR45 (€9.50)

From the Japanese cuisine we had the Crispy soft Shell Crab salad. QR 60 (€12.50) Yummy!

Two more refreshing appetizers from the Middle Eastern cuisine the Mohammara (bread crumb, tahini, chilli paste, tomato paste & onion) and the Tabbouleh. Both were at QR 15 (€3.50)
    We also had the Yam Neua yang (grilled beef salad) for QR 70 (€14.50) Instead of the usual bread or rolls we had the Indian Naan bread which I am fond of.

MAIN COURSE: We had the most exquisite Sushi and Sashimi and Maki rolls ever. Not only were they fresh and tasty but they were nicely presented as well. It seriously looked like art. I can’t tell what I liked best simply because every piece was unique. Price varies between QR 40-70 (€8-14) 6 pieces.

BEVERAGE: We paired our main course with a bottle of Selaks, Marlborough, Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand origin. QR 480 (€96.50). Aromatic with good palate weight, balanced by fresh, juicy acidity that lingers with a persistent finish.

The next night from the Indonesian cuisine we tried the Cumi goring. It was a crispy calamari fried with Indonesian chili sauce, spicy to the extent that it should be and yummy!

From the Indian cuisine, a dish I love cooking at home is the Tandoori lamb chops. We had it here and it was really good. Cooked to perfection, juicy and flavorsome. QR 90 (€18.50)

The Daging sapi bakar is Indonesian. It is charcoal grilled Tenderloin, cooked in soy lime juice. It was yummy for meat lovers! I had a nibble as it was my husband’s dish. It had a complex and unique taste. QR 140 (€28.13)

The Wak fried Omani lobster (Chinese) was exquisite. I can also call it heavenly! Nicely presented a dish full of color and flavor. The black truffle and the freshness of the lobster made the difference. QR 110 (€22.00)

An amazing Thai dish that I found exceptional was the Kaeng kali koong. (Prawns in yellow curry) A dish full of color, mild and mellow enough but it does give a little kick of heat at the end of each mouthful, which I loved. QR 85 (€17.50) An irresistible dish that you should try!

Another dish coming from the same region is the Pia nung manao. I love steamed sea bass and I have had it in several versions through my travels. It is a popular dish and I come across it in all signature restaurants in Europe. I found this extra special, tender and flavorsome because fresh ingredients stand out. The combination of spice and sour flavor makes it unique. QR 90 (€18.50)

Finally the very last night before leaving we had the Ishiyaki lava stone barbecue which I highly recommend. A presentation that many restaurants would envy, the freshest luscious seafood ever! We had 2 pieces of Jumbo prawns for QR 210 (€42.00) and 180g Hokkaido scallops for QR 270 (€54.00)

TIP: The Kobe beef strip loin (stone barbecue) (150g) costs QR 450 (€90.00)

DESSERT: I tried several from the list, the price ranks between QR 30-90. (€6.00 – 19.00) The mango pudding was creamy and full of flavor. The Banana-chocolate Wanton was a delight! The Citrus Crème brulee always scares me, because of the many calories, but in all whatever I tried was sugar balanced and exceptionally yummy. The Milk chocolate Nama is also another delight I urge you to try. Simply superb!

IN ALL: Big thumbs up goes to the Chef de Cuisine Kao and his unbeatable team but also to the professional staff. The food is divine and finger licking good and I urge those who are planning to come here, to get ready for a taste of heaven.
    We felt that we were surrounded by friends all the time, we had friendly chats with the staff when we were served and I found them extremely knowledgeable about the menu. They are discreet and courteous and it was nice to be back and see everyone again. Attentiveness is key to a great customer service which we found here. Guys you are amazing. Continue to be yourselves. You are doing an excellent job….and I long to be back.

Ishiyaki Lava stone barbecue Charcoal grilled tenderloin, soy lime juice Dining at the Nusantao once again! Wasabi prawns (macadamia nuts, fruit and caviar) Sushi & Sashimi and Maki Roll

Ponderosa: Buffet Restaurant

by mikoykoy Written Jul 4, 2006

Buffet Dinner = QR38.00 ( US$ 10.50)
    Wide array of salads, pasta, Mexican dish (tacos, fajita and nachos), lemonade, soda, others...

Steaks (T-bone, rib eye, fillet mignon, tenderloin tips)- ranging from QR40 to QR 50.

Store Front Dining Area Grand Buffet

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

"NUSANTAO" Restaurant - Four Seasons: 6 Region Cuisines of Exceptional Quality & Taste

by greekcypriot Updated Nov 16, 2012

I have always loved traditional cuisines and we had the opportunity to do it through Nusantao again this time in Doha. You see here one can experience the authentic traditional cuisines of Japan, China, India, the Middle East, Thailand and Indonesia. The Pan-Asian menu of the Nusantao places an emphasis on the traditional cuisine more than on novelty dishes, thus one can experience the very best of these 6 regions at the same restaurant even on the same day.

For those of you who wonder what the name of the restaurant means… Well it is actually a combination of the word ‘nusantara’ which means Archipelago. ‘Tao’ on the other hand is a Chinese word signifying way or direction –evokes the seafaring heritage of early Arab traders of pearls, gems, precious woods and spices, returning to the Gulf with luxurious goods and legendary tales. The fragrant spices at the “Sea Kitchens” of Nusantao are alive here with the rich culinary traditions and theatrical cooking techniques of the Far East.

We did want to explore all six cuisines ourselves and I thought to point out one or two vegetables I like more and then relied completely on what Mijonur recommended. From the moment I referred to what I like he knew exactly the appropriate dish suitable for us. (I am probably spelling the name wrongly) Mijonur and the rest are a group of professionals well versed on how to recommend the appropriate dishes depending on the likes of their guests. I find this incredible! We asked for different dishes in smaller portions so that in a way have the opportunity to taste as more as possible. From that point on we let the menu travel us. We did the same for wine and let the sommelier check the menu and bring us the one matching best.

While our dinner was being prepared I had the opportunity to walk towards the kitchens and watch all this theatrical cooking behind huge glasses with the busy professional chefs performing and working miracles behind their bench. It was as if I was having a trip to different spots of the Far East, in different cuisines and different restaurants at the same time. I have never come across something similar in any other restaurant I visited….and indeed I can count so many through my travelling experience.

We were asked if we preferred, to sit outside at the covered lush with tropical plants patio which looked like an oasis –something like an earthly paradise. This is how I felt the moment I stepped outside and saw all this beauty, the relaxing atmosphere, the live fire, similar to which I have never seen in my entire life! While going through the patio the soothing soundtrack carried me away for seconds to some dreamy shore in Asia. I would have preferred to sit outside but it was quite humid and warm so I decided to remain indoors which was just as good.

The interior is by all means modern and glamorous with leather textiles in colours of bronze amber and silver with flashes of turquoise. Tables are quite small and we had to add a second one to get all the different dishes we had on the table.

The menu included some Japanese Appetisers which were the Chawanmushi (foie gras, egg custard, wasabi) for Qr. 30, Mizuna salad (Mizuna leaves, Myoga ginger, Yuzu dressing) for 50, Crispy soft shell crab salad for 60, and the Ebi tempura (tiger prawn tempura, Yuzu pepper sauce) for 60. The main course was the Yuzu pepper sea bass (Japanese Yuzu citrus flavoured grilled sea bass) for 110.
    Out of the “Chef’s Selection” we had the Susi and Sashimi Platter that comes in 6 pieces of Sashimi, 3 pieces of Nigiri, 6 pieces of Maki rolls for 230. (we had a smaller portion)
    We had the Thai Som tam malakor appetisers (green papaya salad, peanuts for 40. Our Indonesian dish was the Gado gado salad (Kang koon, peanut sauce) for 35.
    From the Chinese cuisine we had the Wok vegetables (bok choy, water chestnuts, shimeji mushroom and asparagus) for 50.

We accompanied our meal with a bottle of Luiji Bosca wine coming from Argentina for 300 that the sommelier recommended and he was so right.

For dessert we had the Mixed Fruit platter, a Mango pudding and the Nama chocolate. Each was rated 40 and all the above prices are in Quatari Riyal.

Each and every dish was exceptional, fresh ingredients and of the highest quality and taste, exactly what we expected to get out of a Four Season’s Restaurant. Everything was nicely cooked and prepared right that moment. The white wine we had was soft and well balanced with the finest taste matching with all the above we had.

If you are after the highest quality and taste this is the right spot for you. Let the menu travel you as it did to us. I highly recommend it by all means!

Sushi and Sashimi Platter Dining at the Nusantao -Four Seasons, Doha Crispy soft shell crab salad Chefs behind the huge glass window Our dessert

Instant Answers: Doha

Comments

Doha Restaurants

greekcypriot's Profile Photo

The majority of Signature Restaurants are found in Luxurious 5* hotels.

HAVE IN MIND: Qatar is an Islamic state, which prohibits drinking alcohol in public other than at licensed...