Doha Transportation

• Inside one of the Dreamliners of Qatar Airways.
    Inside one of the Dreamliners of Qatar...
    by cachaseiro

• marco2005's Profile Photo

Qatar Airways

by marco2005 Written Feb 21, 2008

(courtesy of Olga)

I flew with QA from Milan to Maldives via Doha. The flights were quite comfortable. The staff on-board was in the normal range of kindness. The on-flight entertainment has a quite wide range of good choice. Unfortunately, is not the same for food.
    All in all the professed five stars seems to me too optimistic. I rate QA just in the average, compared with western standard.

The only inconvenience was a 2hr late departe on the way back from Doha to Milan. So I had no need to argue with QA staff in the airport.

• Business Travel

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Qatar Airways - The worst airline ever?

by AcornMan Written Aug 11, 2007

Qatar Airways has no business claiming to be a five-star airline. After I arrived in India, I received an email stating that the airline had cancelled my reservations for my return flights. Customer service in India was simply horrible. It was the worst service I have ever received from not just any airline, but from any kind of business anywhere in the world. It almost seemed as if their ultimate goal was to make this entire affair as difficult as possible for me. They simply informed me that there was not sufficient time for my transfer in Doha and left it at that, as if they just expected me to stay in India for the rest of my life. Never at any point did they do anything helpful at all. Rather than looking for solutions, they simply threw up more and more roadblocks. They could have found alternate routes, booked me for an overnight stay somewhere between flights, or any of a number of other solutions. Instead, they said I had to fly out of a different city than the ticket I bought. One city was 6 hours away by bus, while the other was 16 hours away. And they said I had to get myself there.

Finally I gave up and emailed my wife in the US to have her try her luck with the New York office. They got me on a return flight, but back in India the insisted that I sign an indemnity form releasing the airline of all liability for costs I would incur because of the change in itinerary. They treated me like a criminal, not a customer. When I finally did get to Doha, the employees there were equally unhelpful. I told them the least they could do is give me a complimentary upgrade to business class, but they balked at every turn and acted like they owed me nothing. Finally one employee at check-in counter went out of her way to get me an upgrade, but she actually disobeyed her supervisor in doing so.

I will never, under any circumstances, fly Qatar Airways again. And I highly recommend that other travelers avoid them at all costs. It is the most unprofessional business I have ever dealt with in my life.

• shala_booo's Profile Photo

Karwa Taxis and Buses

by shala_booo Updated May 18, 2007

I've been living in Doha for 2yrs and I have to say transportation has improved. The old smelly orange taxis had been abolished and replaced by nice looking blue-green cars.
    All speaks english and will take you everywhere you need. Additional fares are added if you will be taken out of Doha so know exactly where youre going.
    Buses have been recently operational and I suggest you get a "marhaba" book to see an illustrated map of Doha, the routes are a bit complicated but if you know where you're going, that'll be a piece of cake.
    If you need a taxi pick up, call their 24-hr call center but I suggest you call the night before if you need the taxi in the morning or at least two hours before when you need it.
    Limosine service are also available 24hrs at the airport.

No Aerobridge at Doha Airport

by zuyao Written Feb 10, 2007

It's funny there's no aerobridge at Doha International Airport. We have to walk down the stairs from the plane and board a bus that brings us to the terminal building. But on arriving in the terminal, the staffs are helpful and friendly. Most people arriving at Doha are on transit to somewhere else. Just walk straight ahead for security check. If your destination is Doha, turn right for the immigration counters.

For transit passengers, there will be some ladies just after the security check helping with any queries. The information display boards are also good. There are plenty of seats to rest while waiting for the onward flight. There is even a quiet room if you need to nap. Avoid long transit hours though because the airport is small and there is not much to keep you entertained.

In fact, the next time I come for transit, I intend to take a short tour of the city, if they allow me to. At least then I could have a look at the real Doha.

Expensive to eat at Doha Airport

by zuyao Written Feb 10, 2007

It's pretty expensive to eat in Doha airport. I had a fish burger and a root beer float for 28 riyals. That's like RM28 for something than would cost less than RM10 in KL. And it doesn't taste any nicer. There is also a food court selling things that don't look appetizing. However there are 2 cafes which look quite nice. Didn't try that though but are pricey too.

Wifi At Doha Airport

by zuyao Written Feb 9, 2007

If you are waiting for a transit at Doha airpot, most likely you would like to get some internet connection. There are some PCs on the 1st floor - FOC. If you would like to get free wifi, just hang around near the escalator coming up from the middle of the duty free zone. That's where I've found network to be the strongest.

• DAO's Profile Photo

5 STAR AIRLINE - NO WAY !

by DAO Updated Jan 23, 2007

Qatar Airways promotes itself as the world’s ‘Only 5 Star Airline’. They must be the only ones to believe that rubbish. My first flight with tem was on a plane that looked like it had been decorated to look like a bad message parlour/brothel. The seats were poorly covered; amenities poor and the staff looked bored or were extremely indifferent. I would not have given it anything but a 2.5 star rating. Free drinks had to be coerced out of the staff who acted like they were the ones paying for them. The TV screen had a couple of channels that could not be stopped or paused like on GOOD AIRLINES. And their prices can be shocking.

Their organisation on the Ground during a transfer to Yemen was scary. The flight to Yemen was, in my experienced opinion, unsafe. The staff could not control a large group of women and seating was thrown into chaos. The crew did not have a good understanding of English and spoke no Arabic. Arguments broke out among passengers because everyone was in the wrong seat and many would not sit down. We were delayed ON THE PLANE by 1 hour because of this. They disregarded many sections of the safety briefing due to time and seeming lack of training. Shocking. Movies? None. Drinks? 1 and that was trouble to get. I have some peanuts thrown at me and the whole flight was like a zoo. Passengers used mobiles actively the whole flight and no staff member did anything about it.

5 Star Airline? No. 5 Ring Circus and total rip-off? Yes.

Qatar Airways. Do not fly them.

Fly Emirates. Wish I had.

• Luxury Travel
    • Work Abroad

• hydronetta's Profile Photo

Doha airport and stopover possibility

by hydronetta Written Jan 18, 2007

Unlike what I've read in report in Skytrax, I found Doha airport just fine for what it mainly is: a transit airport! Modern, spacious, though embarking the planes always takes place with buses.
    The duty free is nothing to duy for specially for electronics, but if you happen to be a smoker like me, then it is a heaven on earth because cigarettes came 1/3 of their price they are sold in Greece.
    It proved to be a busy airport specially at might time. If you happen to spend the night at Doha in case your flight is next morning, then you're given a voucher with your hotel name on it. Then after waiting some time (which seemed endless) you pass through emmigration control (a long queue but quicly qoing through) and then you look for the van to your hotel.
    In Doha we stayed at Al Sayeed Hotel probably centrally located which was a nice hotel and we were given the previledge to have dinner and breakfast which both were gorgious. I suspect most of the clientele were travellers like us!!
    In case you consider stopping over in Qatar think carefully as hotel prices are high!!

• hydronetta's Profile Photo

Qatar airways experience

by hydronetta Written Jan 4, 2007

Voted as a 5 star airline by Skytrax was a serious reason for me to choose Qatar airways for flying to Myanmar. Apart from that was its competitive price compared to that of Thai.
    My overall impression was about mixed and rather average. Flights were punctual indeed, the planes in good condition, flights attendants multilingual and helpful, food just ok but what they lacked compared to Emirates was inflight entertainment. Overhead tv displaying films which in most cases were uninteresting. So flying time was very boring (specially Athens-Doha section where the plane was smaller)
    I found them too hysteric with baggage excess weight not to mention what problems they caused to me because I didn't have a visa in my passport. I showed them my visa on arrival approval letter but they refused to let me get in the plane as "this was not official document"!! So I lost the flight!!!!!!!! You can imagine my dissapointment. Next day I contacted their headquarters, they apologised for not being properly informed about this possibility and they put me in the first plane to fly to Doha and onwards to Yangon

• alvinchiazy's Profile Photo

Mowasalat

by alvinchiazy Written Dec 30, 2006
    Al Gharrafa Bus Station

very buses, services not frequent, one misly bus station, buses are parked for half an hour before departing, women must be advised to sit right in front, near the driver.
    pretty much the same for taxis. thankfully there has been an vast increase in number of taxis and buses due to the Asian Games. So taxis and buses should not be of a problem now.

• alvinchiazy's Profile Photo

Mowasalat

by alvinchiazy Written Dec 30, 2006

• mikoykoy's Profile Photo

Green Cab

by mikoykoy Updated Jul 4, 2006

Karwa Taxi - courteous drivers. You feel safe to travel because the drivers were trained for more than 2 months in order to know the major thoroughfare around Doha. Cars being used are all new and equip with GPS navigational system.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Doha International Airport - OTBD

by frankcanfly Updated Apr 3, 2006

This convenient airport is located nearly right downtown! But it looks like they're filling-in some open water to the east in the shape of a runway.....

Doha is the base/hub of Qatar airways, and offers frequent direct flights to many international destinations throughout Asia, Africa and Europe. They have been rated one of the best airlines in the world.

The website has a great interactive route map.

• terps94's Profile Photo

ready for some adventure

by terps94 Written Mar 3, 2006

If you decide to drive in Doha make sure to keep your eyes open. From what I was told Qatari didn't start driving until the '80s so some of them tend to be agressive drivers. When you are entering a traffic circle the right line is if your taking the first exit and 2nd lane is for the 2nd or 3rd exit and the inner lane is for for going around the traffice circle. Offensive driving comes to mind if you are in Doha especially during the weekends

• samboy's Profile Photo

Qatar Airways...Never Again

by samboy Written Jan 20, 2006

I just thought that I should share this with everyone.

If possible, don't fly with Qatar Airways. I had to fly Qatar Airways from London to Kuala Lumpur for a friends wedding as this was the cheapest option by about £200. After the experience, I think next time I will opt to pay the extra £200 and get a more expensive flight.

Qatar Airways is advertised as a 5star airline. I don't know how these ratings are given out for airlines but I definitely disagree. I am used to flying with Singapore Airlines and I think the Qatar is definitely not in the same class. One example is that when food was served, the passenger in front was reclined. Normally on Singapore Airlines, all passengers are asked to put the seats up during meal time...nevertheless, that wasn't what astounded me. When we asked the flight attendant to request the passenger in front to put his seat up, we were flatly told, 'No, you ask him yourself...sir'.

WHAT THE *&^%!?!

I rest my case.

Instant Answers: Doha

Comments

Doha Transportation

Reviews and photos of Doha transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Doha sightseeing.