Places to eat in Middle East

Photos variety Restaurant
    by hanidia
  • Smashing of dishes on the stage and dancing
    Smashing of dishes on the stage and...
    by greekcypriot
  • The Night of Bouzouki at the Intercontinental
    The Night of Bouzouki at the...
    by greekcypriot

Most Viewed Restaurants in Middle East

• coceng's Profile Photo

Eating Cheap...

by coceng Updated Sep 1, 2005

If you are like me, travel cheap & eating cheap or you just don't care to find a restaurant around The Middle East, you might as well sample some street breads as featured on my photo on the left.
    Get yourself a bottle of mineral water & buy 1 or 2 of those breads & munch away !
    Definitely would give you some energy that you need.
    Err, maybe that would give you an upset stomach ?
    Certainly not to me !
    Photo was taken in Beirut.

Street Breads In Beirut...
    • Singles

several: Hamah, Syria

BREAKFAST
    - "the bakery", but it's not called like this, since the sign is only in arabic. It sells gigantic chocolate croissants and cakes
    Directions: sharia al quwatli. As u leave the Cairo hotel, turn left and walk about 3 blocks. It's the shop with the fake marble front
    FULL MEALS AND SNACKS
    - "al Marakheb Bridge restaurant" is a nice restuarant on the river facing the norias. Great mezzes and nice cups of chai. They might also serve full meals.
    Directions: al Marakheb Bridge on the orontes river, near sharia abu al feda, where the microbuses depart.

Favorite Dish: see my hama page for more details

bread...

several: Aleppo, Syria

FULL MEALS
    - "al mir restaurant" serves traditional syrian food in a beautfully restored old Aleppine house
    - "la gouna restaurant" has incredible mezzes... dozens of them, including local ones
    SNACKS
    - "khan restaurant" is a simple place in the old town to go for some chai and some mezzes. They also have full meals

Favorite Dish: see above or my Aleppo page for details and addresses

a restaurant's door

beduin restaurant: Palmyra, Syria

by call_me_rhia Written Feb 22, 2004

the restaurant is actually the cleanest -looking of all restaurants in Palmyra, and the place where the few tourists seemed to eat. Fortunately the food was quite good, and the owner friendly

Favorite Dish: the shish kebab was extremely delicious, the falafel ok and the hummus well, acceptable. However, but I did not taste it, the restaurant specialises in traditional beduin mensaff... the other people at the restaurant really seemed to love it

kebabs

Damascus, Syria

FULL MEALS
    - "shahrazad palace" is not touristic and has an unwritten menu that changes every day. The shish taouk was great
    - "Jabri house" is quiet touristic but has a menu written in English, which is helpful. mezzes are great there.
    - "Narcissus Palace" like the two previous resstaurants is in an old traditional Damascene Palace. Nice food there, too.
    TAKE-AWAY
    - "El Az" has unforgettable shwarmas for 25 syrian pounds
    DESSERTS
    - "ice-cream" doesn't sell ice-creams but delicious rosewater puddings topped with pistachops for 25 Syrian pounds each

Favorite Dish: see above - or my Damascus page. They are all in the centre - with the exception of the take-away - near Hejaz station

shish tauk

Hotel Pera Palace: Istanbul, Turkey

by call_me_rhia Written Feb 22, 2004

Maybe a bit too expensive for a full meal - but definitely worthy for an afternoon tea in historical surroundings. It's a wonderful old palace/hotel - a piece of Turkish history, basically.

Favorite Dish: delicious tea and wonderful little cakes

pic from their website

dead sea spa: Dead Sea, Jordan

by call_me_rhia Written Feb 21, 2004

The restaurant.. ugly.. all I can say.... then again at thedead sea you can only eat at posh hotels, since there's nothing else. so this one is just as good (or as bad) as any other one. The food, however, was quite good - despite the plastic surroundings.

Favorite Dish: there was some delicious arab bread with onions.. and some salty pastries (with onions again) that were delicious

the restaurant

Rest House: Wadi Rum, Jordan

by call_me_rhia Written Feb 21, 2004

There's not many places to eat at Wadi Rum - the rest house is a goverment owned simple restaurant serving powerful chai and simple (and large) traditional meals in a wonderfully scenic location. It's also the place where you organize jeeps to take you inside wadi rum.

Favorite Dish: falafels were truly delicious - grilled meats a lot less. And - of course - i liked the hummus

the rest house

Basin restaurant + nameless restaurant: Petra, Jordan

by call_me_rhia Written Feb 21, 2004

Here's two restaurants i can easily recommend. the Basin Restaurant is inside the old city of Petra, right where yu start your climb up to the monastery. It's a typical tourist restaurant - but in wonderful surroundings. The food, strangely enough, is superb.
    The otehr restaurant, and I can't beieve I lsot the name, is right nextdoor to the Petra Palace Hotel - you won't miss it since it's also an overpriced internet cafe: food was really good (and not too expensive)

Favorite Dish: Basin restaurant: falafels and grilled meats. The nameless restaurant had quite good desserts.

map to the basin restaurant

jerusalem, blue fig, somewhere written in arabic: Amman, Jordan

by call_me_rhia Written Feb 21, 2004

very basic ( u only get a spoon to eat) is the place under the beige/yellow and white sign in King Hussein street near the acco internet cafe (1 dinar). A better one, still in the centre is the Jerusalem Restaurant: spoon and fork (but no knife) and food for 3 dinars. At the other end of the price range, the Blue Fig in Adboun, where the rich youth goes. It's 10 dinars here for western food, including fork and (hear hear!) knife

Favorite Dish: blue fig: arab bread, jerusalem: lamb meshaff, the restaurant with the name in arabic: great grilled chicken and chickpeas

the jerusalem

Restaurant Palmyra: Baalbeck, Lebanon

by call_me_rhia Written Feb 21, 2004

Food problems in Baalbeck: we tried several restaurants and none of them looked like a restaurant. We were not tempted. The other option would have been some sort of fast-food-lookalike places - once again we were not tempted. At that point we were getting desperate - and especially hungry... until we had a brilliant idea: the Palmyra Hotel would surely have a restaurant. It did, indeed, and it looked magnifically decandent... as if only ghosts have been eating there in the past 100 years. OK, we said...

Favorite Dish: Simple food, like the usual kebabs and mezzes... at the start of our meal we were brought a huge plate of veggies... and equally huge was the fruit bowl we were given at the end of our meal. The best, however was the... hummus! The best hummus I have ever had - delicious and not swimming

Prices:

food at the palmyra

Damoun: Tripoli, Lebanon

by call_me_rhia Written Feb 21, 2004

The restaurant is.. well, just a simple restaurant. Definitely not the one we were looking for (the Wardeh restaurant), but since neither we nor taxi-drivers could find it, we ended up in the nearest place we could find: Restaurant Damoun

Favorite Dish: The restaurant serves only mezzes: we had 4 different ones: 2 cold and 2 warm ones. They were ok, but not special. The hummus was unhappily swimming in oil. OK if you're starving, otherwise you'd better pass on

outside

Le pecheur, Istambuli, Walimah: Beirut, Lebanon

by call_me_rhia Written Feb 21, 2004

Le pecheur is a posh-ish fish restaurant on the corniche: great food but quite expensive. Walimah is owned by two lebenese ladies and you'll get home-cooked traditional meals. it's in Hamra. Istambuli is popular with lebanese families and has a large selection of kebabs: it's in Hamra, too

Favorite Dish: Le pecheur: mixed fish platter or fish kebabs
    Walimah: great kibbeh (but menu changes daily)
    Istambuli: shish kebab and fruits

kebab, istambuli

the rest house: Sidon, Lebanon

by call_me_rhia Written Feb 21, 2004

A splendid restaurant in a splendid building - in traditional Lebanese style, with plenty of tall arches, and a lush garden. There are also unforgettable views of th crusaders' castle - by day at least.

Favorite Dish: Delicious mezzes and seafood. The spinach-filled pastries were heavenly. We also has grilled tiger-praws: fresh and crunchy! Definitely a restaurant to recommend. Lebanese wine is served.

the interior

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

Middle Eastern Cuisine*

by DunaKal Updated Jul 25, 2003

The Middle Eastern cuisine vary from country to another,but in general it`s Kosher(containg no pork),also it has many dishes that are tottaly vegetarian.
    In Lebanon and Syria it`s famous for it`s stuffed vine leaves,Hummus dip and Shawarma(like Gyros).
    In Jordan there the (Ma`loobeh)it`s a dish prepared with rice and egg plants.
    In Palstine it`s famous for (Al Misakhan)it`s chicken rolled in bread with lots of onions.
    And in Saudi Arabia it`s famous for the national rice dish called(Kabsah)served with mutton meat.
    The middle eastern cuisine is spicy though not as much as the Indian cuisine,,but Arabs in general tend to add spices to their food as well.

Favorite Dish: If I`m going to start on what`s my favorite dish,,it will take me many pages to tell.
    I almost love most dishes,but the ones are the best is the ones cooked and prepared by my mother ;-)

Mom`s Buffet

58 Reviews - 170 Photos
Hisaronu Hotels
25 Reviews - 57 Photos

Instant Answers: Middle East

Comments

Middle East Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Middle East restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Middle East sightseeing.
Map of Middle East