Ad Dammam Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Ad Dammam

• cultural widefall

by Abhishek-JC Written Oct 24, 2012

Well I was been in Dammam for 1.5 yrs and i had hell lot of a ride of experiences.I seriously admit the fact -its an OPENPRISON.If you are a non -muslim and belongs to a country/culture where you are a big time party freak ,ladies man and bears a "i dont give a ***" kind of attitude then seriously dude you are very much in a wrong place.Liquor ,Sex,drugs well what shoud i Say are just LETHAL.Ready to be generosity at its best as you shouldn't be reacting to - if a kid throws up a pespi can at you ,a national who will just shoot you if you dare stare his wife,you found smoking anywhere during the time of Namaaz (very critical),a national bumps into your car and you shout at him to name a few.But all the same if you a true foodie then you own the place ,As you can gorge into a lot of non veggies like genuine arab cuisine ,turkish extravanganzas and indian delicacies in plenty.One thing i would never forget to mention is driving.Well against all the odds driving is something you would relish for sure as you have the Best throttle cars , world class roads,and yeah the purest form of petrol and of course the cheapest.You can buzz around the roads going the Half moon bay,Ras tanura ,Jubail city and if u still ain't content then till the kuwait border and lot many more.Fishing ,bar-b-que on the beaches are or can be the only outdoor activities or cricket/football if you hv got some indian counterparts.As the list of experiences goes on nevertheless If you have locked in these basics up in your mind ,You are good to go:).

• Beaches

taboo issues

by MirrorCrax Written Sep 24, 2006

Do not talk about liquor, drugs or sex openly, even to fellow nationals at work, even if provoked.

Do not ask about any nationa'l's wife's health, try to drop the wives out of the conversation, and definitely do not ask about her name or the daughters' names, unless told about the daughters who are presumably children.

Conversation Pitfalls

by MirrorCrax Written Sep 24, 2006

Try in all circumstances to avoid engaging in political conversations, religious conversations, or any criticizm of the saudi culture, even if asked to!

sometimes you maybe provoked to draw a comparison between nationals in two different areas in saudi, try to be diplomatic, and never insult or criticize anyone.

Donot be open about your religious beliefs if they contradict with nationals' beliefs, you will not achieve anything, and may get into a lot of trouble.

• MirrorCrax's Profile Photo

Flight issues/ Cueing/ etc.

by MirrorCrax Written Sep 24, 2006

On several occassions you maybe cut off in traffic, in cues, or have some national sitting in your seat on a domestic flight, donot argue! ask the person in charge to deal with it, if any are around, if none are around just simply accept it and move on.

Usually in flights, ladies are given priority in entering the boarding gates, in getting seats close to each other, do not sit in your seat directly if a lady is sitting there, ask the flight attendant to ask her first if it's ok? to avoid any embassements

parking issues

by MirrorCrax Written Sep 24, 2006

Never park infront of a national's home! this is extremely offensive to them, even if they park infront of your house, i have been put in two situations where i was mouthed at once, and in another had "No Parking" insrcibed on my car window using tooth paste.

Avoid at all times parking close to the pavement infront of any national's home, blocking an exit, a parking area, or a garage, even if you're in your car waiting for someone

Instant Answers: Ad Dammam

• Jul 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I live in dammam, my office is in dammam-khobar highway.Today It was my bad day. I went to meet someone in novatel business park, I took hired "taxi" for single(myself) to reach early and fresh. While returning I thought of going in share taxi, after waiting for sometime no taxi was agreed to go in share manner, but i unfortunately found one which was not taxi, but arabic speaking peoples sitting inside.
    When We were going, one person sitting next to me (by the way i was sitting in back seat with one guy), he asked me for time, usually nowadays I am not wearing watch, so i taken my cell phone and told him the time, (he was actually wanted to see my phone), i am having a very low model phone. After that the person sitting on front seat told driver to stop, he got out of the car, in that time only the person sitting next to me found a bundle of currency wrapped by rubber band. just under the front seat in front of me, he picked the money and he told me, dont tel we will share, but i refuse, by the time he was telling me , that person again came inside and asking and searching for money in arabic, I dont understand arabic much, but i was able make out what he was saying. he ask and check one by one all our wallet, in my wallet there was 500 riyal, and some 50-60 riyal in. he was desperately asking to me if i have anything else he checked my file, then after me he directly hit the thigh of that person under which the money was hidden by the other guy sitting next to me. He told he will go to police, and by the time he returned my wallet, he very cleverly taken my 500 riyal. and he said whether i was helping that guy who took his money, i denied, so told me to go out of the car and leave and he was telling he will take those guys to police.I was very tense so I didnt checked my wallet at that time, I got out and they went. When I came to my place, while giving money to driver(this time I took TAXI ) i found 500 is missing.

So, they would have taken my phone, if it was expensive like samsung note 2 , iphone etc, they showed first that they dont know each other but they were in group that was the plan. They plan that way to make afraid of going to police so that the person like me will move out of the car without thinking what is happening. Second If I had agreed to share that money , he would have threatened me badly to give all my asset or else he would taken me to police.
    OR if I would have found that money first the guy sitting next to me must have informed the guy left the car and then also they have asked me to give whatever i had

OR the guy sitting next to me is holding something in poly bag, may be knife etc , if I had tried to get out of the car before their plan starts they would have asked me forcefully to give all my stuff.

Lesson: 1
    Never ever travel other than taxi if you have to go anywhere.For saving little money, we may have to suffer more loss.

Lesson 2. Never travel in alone in taxi or any passenger picking car, try to see the person if he is expat, then it is ok to travel alone, also ensure if he is from your country.

Lesson 3. While if you travel frequently , nowadays it is not safe at all.,dont keep money than you need and also avoid taking expensive phones.

Lesson 4. Check inside before sitting in share taxi or passenger picking car who are the persons sitting inside , talk to any guy in your languages if he responded correctly it means he is from your country if not try to confirm he is expat basically from india,pakistan,bangladesh.

Lesson 5. Dont lose your attention while you are travelling outside, basically in taxis.

Lesson 6 . Not but the lease try yo buy your own car. :)

I wanted to tell this for every one living in dammam,khobar,jubail i mean eastern province

Ad Dammam Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Ad Dammam warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ad Dammam sightseeing.