Downtown and The Old city, Jiddah

DownTown

Know about this? Rate It!

• Downtown and The Old city
    by S_J_Miller
    Street Vendor
    by DunaKal
    Street vendor
    by DunaKal
  • DunaKal's Profile Photo

City Center and Downtown in Ramadan.

by DunaKal Updated Oct 30, 2007

Street vendor

Favorite thing: I could NEVER allow myself to miss the downtown(City center)by the holy month of Ramadan specially at the last 10 days/nights of it..........the locals place many vendors to sell candies and sweets for the Eid celebrations after the holy month ends.
    This year(2003)I made this visit with my kids at the night before Eid........
    Eid to me as a child meant candy and fireworks!
    Ofcourse with the new clothes and the (Eidiyyah)which is small amount of money given from older members of the family for kids in order for them to buy candies and fireworks....some people give a little bigger amounts depnding on their budget ;-)

Fondest memory: I`m placing here a picture of a local snak called (Baleela)it`s mainly chick pees served with lots of vinegar and spices and served with pickles....yummmm...you can add some hot sauce to it if you like.

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

City Center and Downtown in Ramadan.

by DunaKal Written Nov 24, 2003

Street Vendor

This year(2003)I made this visit with my kids at the night before Eid........
    Eid to me as a child meant candy+fireworks!

Fondest memory: I`m placing here a picture of a local snak called (Baleela)it`s mainly chick pees served with lots of vineger and spices and served with pickles....yummmm...you can add some hot sauce to it if you like.

• TomorrowsAngel's Profile Photo

christian cemetery

by TomorrowsAngel Written Sep 18, 2003

al balad area

Favorite thing: There is a Christian cemetery in Jeddah in a street in the old city named the "Street of the Cemetery of the Foreigners". It is no longer in use and the last burial had taken place in the early 1950's, but is kept up in turn by several of the foreign consulates in the city. It is walled and there is a large gate, but can be peered into from some of the buildings surrounding it.
    There is a webarticle on it:

• Religious Travel

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

Playing in the streets of the Downtown

by DunaKal Updated May 2, 2005

Omana Hawwa

Favorite thing: The Old part of the city,here is a picture of the cemetary called Omanna Hawwa,,or in other word"our mother Eve" where it`s believed that the name Jiddah(which means grandmother)was granted to this city because Eve was burried here.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Jeddah is playing at the old city`s streets at the down town where I used to live,it had small street where no cars could pass by so it is very safe to play there with my bicycle.I also was the only one in My neighourhood who had roller skates ;-)

• Adventure Travel