Eid Celebrations, Jiddah

by DunaKal
    incense for events
    by Manyana
  • DunaKal's Profile Photo

Eid cash gifts for kids!

by DunaKal Written Nov 17, 2005

Eid Cash gifts for kids

Among all the sweets,candies,going out and fireworks,,,this is for sure is the best thing that Eid celebrations brings to children.

Older relatives(parents,grandparents,aunts and uncles)give away an amount of cash money for young children, each depending on his encome.In Arabic it`s called Eidiyyah.

Here is a picture of what my kids collected in Eid Al Fitr( the one that ends Ramadan holy month) and their calculator...
    My sister usually gives away her cash in small nots tied with a ribbon to make it look more in the eyes of my kids ;-)

• Two Islamic Festivals

by Manyana Written Oct 19, 2006

incense for events

Eid means an annual event to be remembered by public. Jeddah celebrates two official Eids every year; Eid al Fiter and Eid al Ad'ha. The first means the celebrationf of breaking the fast, and the other is the celebration of devotion.
    Eid al Fiter is celebrated right after the end of Ramadan. On the first day of Eid, there is one big mosque specially open on this day to tailor Eid prayer service for hundreds of individuals. People dress up their fancy *new* clothing, wear their perfume ready to go to a nearby or the big mosque in North Jeddah. Women wear full make up as if they are going to a wedding day. Men wear their white delicate thobes and mesh'lah as if they are groom. Usually they bring food and dates to serve other people, sharing their happiness about this special day. They start showing up at 6am until the service begins at 7 or 8. I often see little boys wearing the old costumes with orange turban and beige waisters and that's stunningly cute. The Saudi tradition is that parents and senior family relatives usually give money gifts to all unmarried children, both newborn and adults. So the more uncles and aunts you have, the more money you receive. When I was a child, it wasn't really the case. I remember my mother used to buy Superman and Butterfly costumes for me, my sister and my cousins. Each one received one. The next year she would bring trains and puzzles and dolls and kitchen tools, and everyone would just play with everyone. Well, I used to mix the kitchen tools with the train tracks,lol. My father was the only child but my mother has mashallah lots of siblings. I used to look forward to Eid every year since it's the month of greens:D--Eid al Fakkah
    The second Eid is after Hajj or the Islamic Pilgrimage to Makkah. People supposed to sacrifice goats or sheep, representing their will to welcome overseas pilgrims, guests and those who are in need with fine food ie meat. This tradition is based on Islamic values and the story of Abraham and his son. This Eid is the event of meat:D--Eid al Lahmah.

• Festivals