Tourist Attractions in Saudi Arabia

• Tourist Traps

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Saudi Arabia

• Negotiate with taxi drivers

by Manyana Written May 17, 2005

Taxi drivers are smart and can tell that you're new to the country. So they'd might drive you around and around until you reach your destination. So they'd claim, 'it's been a long journey', and then claim it to be worth SR70-SR100.

Unique Suggestions: Don't get deceived. Journeys start from SR10 and above. The longest ever within the city might cost up to SR60.
    So always negotiate with the driver upon the price before you get on the car

• Work Abroad

• shelnlin's Profile Photo

I am often asked....

by shelnlin Written Aug 31, 2004

While living in Saudi Arabia and while I have been living apart from the country itself, I have often been asked what it is like to live in the Kingdom.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is very unique, it is a place filled with lots of interesting quirks and sights and smells. It can be a great experience or it can be down right awful especially if you have never lived in a foreign country before.

Unique Suggestions: I suggest that in places such as this, is to respect the people, respect the culture, respect the values, traditions, beliefs and customs. I found that I befriended many a Muslim person by being myself because like them I do not like fakes. I listened to these people, allowed them to talk about themselves and I learnt alot about the people that the really were. Of course talk about yourself too but it is great to talk to another person and find out what is important to them and what makes them tick.

The Muslims are very hospitable people and I cannot say that enough, they are generous and would give you their last slice of bread even if they were poor. They are thoughtful and caring souls and are not what people think they are when they watch the television.

When you get to Saudia, take the time to get to know some of the people. Say hello even if you do not get a hello back. OK it can be a bit hard at times especially if you know a Muttawa is present... but even try to learn a bit of the language. I learnt through my Muslim friends and always asked them questions or could they translate what they were saying. The guys thought that it was great that I was taking an interest in their language and it helped out especially when I was taking a taxi or whatever sometimes.

Fun Alternatives: I advise everyone do not believe everything that they read or hear about. It is not always true. I was watching a News article on television awhile ago and before the translator started to speak for an Iraqi man I picked up a bit of what he was saying. When the translator translated his story it was not the same as what the Iraqi man had said at all. I was annoyed at this and although I am not fully fluent in Arabic, I am able to pick up a few things here and there.

• Business Travel

• redeagle's Profile Photo

Hajj (Pilgrim)

by redeagle Written Dec 31, 2003

ok, dont get me wrong,,this is not a tourist trap definitly, but this is what most tourists in saudi arabia come from..over 2 million people come each year to spend two weeks performing their pilgrim in Makkah, Mina, Arafah, and Muzdalifa, this picture of pilgrims throwing small stones in "Jamarat" in Mina as part of their hajj

• hjohnso4's Profile Photo

NONE. There is no such thing...

by hjohnso4 Written Aug 26, 2002

NONE. There is no such thing as a Tourist visa for Saudi America, though there are rumors of change. If you are working in the Kingdom however, the shoddiest 'traditional' trash you can find are framed, 'beduoin' knives. About as antique as a bic lighter, they are generally made from the cheapest metal, spraytpainted silver or wrapped in foil.

• DO NOT G OTO chop-chop square...

by Vilhelm Written Aug 24, 2002

DO NOT G OTO chop-chop square on Thursdays!!! Unless you are interested in seeing people loose their heads and hands. If you are a foreigner do not be surprised to be invited to the front of the crowd to watch. (More for everyones else enjoyment rather than your own) You will be forced to sit throught the whole event. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

• In general, Saudi Arabia is a...

by Romanchik Written Aug 24, 2002

In general, Saudi Arabia is a very safe place around a clock.
    No drugs, no alcohol, no robbery.
    But due to strict Islamic norms of life you have to be very respectfull to Muslims customs. Five times a day the people are praying, within this time every public places are close for 15-20 minutes.
    Try to avoid the awaiting the untill prays end in the streets or squares, do it in the shopping centre. Because the religious police sometimes catch and imprison the people which are not praying. One time I and my partner waiting pray end in the city center siting on a bench, around us was 150-200 expatriates waiting the same. Suddenly the religious police is jumping from their 'Jeeps' and everybody are running out but we were surprised and shocked and stay where we are. After few seconds the square become empty, only we. But this police look at us, see we are europeans and went out.
    Don't even think to meet with Saudi girls, some of them have an open face and they are very beautifull. But don't even think about them.

Saudi Arabia Hotels

7 Reviews - 15 Photos
Najran Hotels
10 Reviews - 18 Photos

Instant Answers: Saudi Arabia

Comments

Saudi Arabia Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Saudi Arabia tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saudi Arabia sightseeing.
Map of Saudi Arabia