Amasya Things to Do

by voyageur2

Most Recent Things to Do in Amasya

Archeological Museum

by traveloturc Updated Jun 25, 2015

The Archaeological Museum of Amasya has an interesting collection including the mummies of the Ilhanli rulers of Amasya
    Archaeological Museum of Amasya consists of different themed areas, these are:
    Hall of Archaeological Artifacts, where items from 13 civilizations are on display.
    Hall of Ethnographical Artifacts, Displays of regional handicrafts, culture and traditional farming.
    The Museum Yard, Architectural stonework and sarcophagi.
    Hall of Mummies (located inside the Sultan Mesud I Tomb) in the museum yard, mummified remains of people including babies from the Ilkhanate period 13th-14th Century AD

Open everyday except Mondays, from 08:00 to 17:00 (The Museum is closed from 12:00 to 13:00)

Amasya Museum

Kapı Ağa Theology School

by traveloturc Written Dec 25, 2012

It is built by Hüseyin Ağa , who is Gate's Ağa (Director) of Sultan IIth Bayezid, in 1488. Octagon type schema, that was common at frontal Asia tombs and Selcuklu monument tombs, is firstly applied to this theology school by the means of function.

kapı ağa medrese Kapı aga medrese

Haliliye Theology School

by traveloturc Written Dec 25, 2012

Haliliye Theology School buling is at the Gümüş district centre in Gümüşhacıköy county, it was built by Halil Pasha, whom was the Governor General of Çelebi Sultan Mehmed, in 1413. Is a square typed theology school with covered courtyard.

Haliliye medrese

Sultan IIth Bayezid Külliye

by traveloturc Written Dec 25, 2012

Külliye is built for the name of Sultan IIth Bayezid in 1485-86; it contains mosque, theology school, charitable establishment, tomb and fountain. It the last developed sample of sideways residential (planned like big L) mosque architecture which was popular at the last quarter of 15th century. At the Külliye beside of mosque there are theology school, charitable establishment and guesthouse are present. It is estimated that old plane trees, which form a line with each of two minarets, are as old as külliye.

Beyazıt 2 nd K��lliye.. K��lliye k��liye

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

Bimarhane (place of cure)

by traveloturc Written Dec 25, 2012

It is a unique building that remains from İlhanlı Period to nowadays. Is was built in the name of the Sultan Mehmet Olcaytu, Ruler of İlhanlı State and his wife Ilduz Hatun in 1308. Especially front side of the building is valuable by perspective of artistic values. On the shackle stone of gate there is an human relief that kneel down, it is a peculiar property only seen at Amasya Bimarhane building.

Bimarhane

Ferhat Water Canal

by traveloturc Written Dec 25, 2012

The canal was built in the Hellenistic Period to fulfil city's water necessity, it has approximately 75 width and 18 kilometers long. It was built with processes of digging canals based on the balance system, carving some tunnels and bounding brick walls at some places.

Ferhat Water Canal Ferhat Water Canal

Aynalı Cave

by traveloturc Written Dec 25, 2012

Aynalı Cave (Rock Tomb) is approximately three kilometres away from the city centre, and on the way of Ziyaret district which way separated to the right from surrounding high way towards Samsun. It is the best - decorated and completed tomb among other King Rock Tombs. At the vault section there are 6 pictures on each right and left walls, which figure out 12 disciple. And there are some figures that include men and women on the west and east walls, although there is a composition figure contains the Jesus, the Virgin Mary and Disciple on east wall.

Aynali cave Frescos frescos

King Rock Tombs

by traveloturc Updated Dec 24, 2012

In Hellenistic Age, it was designed as a room for tombs carved on the lime stone rocks at the south foot of Harsena Mountain. Strabon, the writer of the Antique Age, stated that the tombs belonged to kings. Inside these ruins are two private baths of the 15th century Ottoman Period.
    There are 5 unit tombs placed at slope of Amasya Castle that all are engraved on the lime stone rocks which rocks extended like a straight wall. With the construction and location properties they take attention at the first sight. Their surroundings engraved till they completely separated from the main rock, than they reunite to the main rock with stairs. There are some ones large and some ones small totally 18 rock tomb units present. The famous geographer Strabon (BC 63 - AC. 5) whom born at Amasya, delivers an information that Rock tombs was belonged to Pontus Kings.

King Tombs tombs king tombs

Amasya Castle

by traveloturc Updated Dec 24, 2012

Amasya Castle was built on Harºena Mountain as it was the most suitable place to defend the city. The inner part is made of hewn stone and ramparts are made of unhewn stone. The castle has an eight-level defence. From the beginning of the early Bronze Age (B.C.3200) to the end of the Ottoman Period, it was used for defence.
    There are 4 main gates in castle, which are named Belkıs, Saray (palace), Maydonos and Meydan (Public Square), there is a water well named Cilanbolu in castle too, moreover water hole and dungeon present in castle. A laddered under ground way from the castle that reach to 70 meter below river towards the kings tombs dated to IIIth BC. There are tower and mosque ruins present too.

Amasya Castle amasya castle

Hazeranlar Mension

by traveloturc Updated Dec 24, 2012

There are traditional Turkish mansions which have been well-preserved. The 19th-century Hazeranlar Mansion has been restored perfectly and now it is of great interest with an art gallery on its first floor and an ethnographical museum on the second.
    Hazeranlar Mansion Hazeranlar mansion is the most beautiful mansion at Yalı boyu (across the waterside residence) houses series. Mansion is one of the most elegant civil architecture samples of Ottoman period. Mansion built by Defterdar Hasan Talat Efendi for the name of his sister Hazeran Hanım in 1872.
    The other gate is connected to Hatuniye mosque courtyard. Double shuttered males greeting hall gate opens to an area with low ceiling. There are four rooms at each corners and liwan of centre hall take place between the rooms. There are unadorned stairs with banister connects the east liwans to the entrance floor. Living rooms and bedrooms, court, coffee room, room with oven, parents and males greeting hall rooms and also toilet placed at the storey around the center hall.

Hazeranlar Mension Hazeranlar Mension interior interior

The Amasya Castle -the Flag on top of the mountain

by June.b Updated Jul 24, 2011

Finally, after probably hundreds of steps from the entrance of the castle to the top tower, I came face-to-face with the flagpole flapping the red turkish flag from up the mountain and you can see anywhere in the town below.

I felt so accomplished that day.

On the top of the tower The flag at the top of the castle Amasya Castle

• June.b's Profile Photo

The Amasya Castle -- up there and away!

by June.b Written Jul 24, 2011

The Amasya Castle is situated on the steep cliff - the Harshena mountain, on the north river bank of Yeþilýrmak. The castle has four gates, a water well (Cilanbolu), a cistern, and dungeons, an underground path, and stairs to Yesilirmak river and the pontic tombs below (about 70 meters).

A walk up to the tower of the castle is my third lap on this 3-leg tour. I thought my calvary was finished when I did the long steep hike from the town's clock tower to the castle. But the hundreds of steps from below the castle to the top tower is another exhausting feat.

I made it to the castle, it won't deter me, i have to reach that flagpole up the tower, and so I did! I reached the very tip (not of the flagpole) of the castle up there and I could see the town, the street where the lokantasi is, where I could see the flag while I was taking my lunch the day before.

What a truly energy-sucking hike...but well worth it.

To the south of the castle, are the ruins of Kýzlar Sarayý which was used by the Ottomans.

The Amasya Castle... continuous

by June.b Updated Jul 24, 2011

I walked at the back of the tea garden along Zubeyde Hanim Caddesi on the way to the train track and crossed it and walk inside the neighborhood and asked a guy again. So he told me the way and up I went inside an urban jungle (forest park silly!). It's a crawl up there, very steep, I forgot some descriptions but I passed along some forested pathway and an abandoned toilet and out onto the main road beside the water fountain. By that time, I was soooo exhausted, catching my breath, my sweat started to cover me. I saw some people coming down from the main road, so maybe they came from the castle, maybe I'm near -- and so I thought again.

I walked past the people who actually have a car parked nearby. I walked up and the road is still a bit steep, so I really have to muster all my energies on my lame legs. I've already consumed the energy from my breakfast that morning just on the first leg of the hike, and this is the second.

And mind you, there are 3 legs on the hike up. So I was gasping for breath, I didn't realized really that 3 kilometers means a steep kilometers walk which if compared to a flat surface road is equivalent to 10 kms exhausting walk. And I was so tired from the yesterdays full-day walking tour.

Half way there I guess - I can see the castle up there and the turkish flag (small still!) - and that reminded me that it's still far, and I was having second thought now, can't do it... I have to give up and walk back to town. Forget about the castle, but am already half way, so I thought.

Talked to myself --- This is it, my heart is pounding hard and fast (and I have occassional tachycardia) I'll get a heart attack here, no one's around, only me, I will die here, this is the end of me. A silent voice of determination, purpose, willpower --- I went on, on a slower pace, my shirt is all wet with my sweat.

Suddenly I heard an engine roar, a vehicle coming, and it did and it passed over me...then it stopped on the ridge few meters from where I was standing and it's like I'm hearing George Frederick Handel's Messiah playing over and over in my head ------ "Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah halleeeee--lujah"

I run towards the minitruck and opened the door, and greeted the old man, no english but he motioned me to jump in, and so did I, beside the long local breads and veggies. He was laughing hard because he look at me and I'm seriously sweating. He drove me for about 5 minutes I think, and dropped me right below the castle where there's another water fountain. Thank God for a good samaritan, only one lap - few meters - to walk up the entrance.

I've realized, I'm wearing the shirt I bought from a bargain bin in Istanbul with "Now or Never" printed on it. (see last pic).

Go onto the next continued tip.

The Amasya Castle

by June.b Updated Jul 24, 2011

I almost gave uop climbing the castle but I said, I'm already here and I really have to see that castle on the very tip top of the mouontain visible (red turkish flag) standing from the town below.

I was thinking, do I have to take a taxi up there? Or is it walkbale? So here how it goes --- I asked the tourism office/booth at the back of the clock tower how I could reach the castle, he showed the route on the map, well, it looks not far. So I walked from the colock tower until I reached the tea garden beside the Shamlar Ayas Aga Mosque along Zubeydi Hanim Street. And since I don't really know where exactly I'm heading, I sat down at the tea garden, ordered a tea and asked the guy. What a friendly helpful guy -- he sat down beside me with a pen and a paper and draw the route to the castle which route happens to start at the back of the tea garden and the mosque.

I asked him how many kilometers approx. is the castle from there -- he said it's about 2, whereas the policeman I asked on the way to the tea garden says about a kilometer walk. Conflicting but, well, 2 kms isn't that much --- and so I thought!

So I embarked ono my mission -- to get to the top, see the castle and touch the flagpole that I can see from the town below.

TO BE CONTINUED.....on the next tip.

Amasya Castle entrance Overlooking the city below

Shamlar Ayas Aga Mosque

by June.b Updated Jul 24, 2011

I said I'll take it easy today but, can't help it, I have to go up that castle up high on the mountain - hiking!! I passed by a tea garden at the corner of Zubeyde Hanim Caddesi, drank a couple of the hot bev before ascending up. Then I saw this mosque beside the tea garden so I went in.

The mosque is built in 1495 - and I thought it was new - commissioned by Ayas Aga - consists of a mosque, a medresah, a primary school and a graveyard.

The mosque is square shaped, single domed and built of broken stone. The school part is composed of the chambers on the 3 sides of the outer walls surrounding the portico. It is an example of the classical U shaped Ottoman medresseh. On the sides are the cloisters covered with thirteen domes supported by 11 cylindrical pillars with plain capitals and beyond the cloisters are 17 student chambers. The primary school is on the east end.

The main prayer hall is small and I went in and sat at one corner while looking at and listening to the little boy who's calling the adhan (call to prayer), might be a student of the medresah.

Beautiful beckoning voice, like a prayer call coming from an angel's voice -- what am I saying, have I really heard an angel? Well, lots of people use that phrase (and I want to jump in too) "he/she sounds like an angel" like they've heard an angel sing - do the angels from above and below sounds the same, really? Be dead and come back and tell us how it sounds. But anyhoo, it sounds really beautiful.

There're 8 tombs in the graveyard, though very simple, all don't have an epigraph, and surrounded by flowers - white, red, maroon roses, quaint.

Instant Answers: Amasya

Comments

Amasya Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Amasya things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Amasya sightseeing.