Historic Turkish Baths
YILDIZ TURKISH BATH (STAR BATH)
There is Hatuniye Mosque near the Turkish Bath above the Yesilirmak(the Green River) in Hatuniye District. The shape of the bath is square and there is a dome on it. Rubble and brick materials were used in the building. The bath, the part of Hatun vault, hasn't got any inscription which was built by the wife of Beyazid II, Bulbul (Nightingale) Hatun.
ARKUT BEY TURKISH BATH
The building is at the center of Hamamozu borough and was built by Arkut Bey at the end of 16th century. The building has only one storey. In the first entrance there is a changing room and here there is a pool full of hot water. The upperside of this part is covered with a dome. Southern part of the building serves for women, northern for men.
ULUKOY (NOBLE VILLAGE) SINAN PASHA TURKISH BATH
It is located on Ulukoy (Noble Village) area in Tasova Town. The Ottoman Turkish Bath was made out of rubble and brick. It becomes luminous with round small windows on the dome and vaults.
ZIYARET TURKISH BATH
It is settled in a village called Ziyaret Town. It was built by using two lines stone and three lines brick on a rubble foundation. There are Hicabibaba Mosque and Tomb near the Turkish Bath completes the whole part. The ruinned building belongs to the Ottoman period.
KUMACIK TURKISH BATH
The bath, in the center of Amasya in Beyazit pasha district was built in 1494 by the Janissary guard of Sultan Bayezid II; Ayas Agha. The square planned bath has a changing room with a dome over an octagon rim. It has four parts. One of them is covered with the main dome and the two hot bathing cubicles are covered with vault. In the very south part of the bath there is the stokehole covered with a vault.
With its dramatic mountain-and-riverside setting, its charming old houses, mosques and antiquities, Amasya is among Turkey's undiscovered treasures.
If you're planning to tour the Black Sea coast, be sure to stop in Amasya for at least one night on your way. It's one of the most interesting cities in Central Anatolia.
The castle is located on the Har?ena Mountain and it constitutes a natural defense shield. The inner part of the castle was made out of cut stone, and the outer walls were made of stones. It has eight defense levels. There is a secret passage in the castle, called "Cilanbolu" which was built in ancient times and is located on the pinnacle of the castle. Cilanbolu has 150 stairs that were carved downwards through the foot of the mountain. It is known that the stairs ended near the river to be able to escape easily in the times of war and also to draw water.
It is in G?k?eli village on Castle Mountain District. There is a mound and a little "POTERN" in the castle. One can reach them descending the stairs and there are small nishes in it. It shows Post-Roman characteristics.
It is 40 miles far from the city centre, on the Amasya-Tokat highway. One can reach its citadel from a mountain passage located at the northern part of the castle. Ramparts and towers are made of cut stones and its original form is still remained. There is a 3,5 m deep and wide stairway of rampart cistern, which was made by carving the main rock with a slope angle of 45 degrees. There are rock graves which resemble the Amasya Rock Tombs of Pontic Kings on the south-eastern foot of the castle. The castle was used as a garrison by the Romans. It is one of the few Roman Castles that remained today.
The castle is located in the town Yass??al, B?y?k Evliya location, nearly 3 km far from west of the town settlement, on the way of Vermi? village. The castle is at the top of the rocky area, and it is on the way of the ancient Rome, which combines the ancient Amasei to Neocaesareia then reaches to Zela (Zile). There is a Temenos wall, which was built with "simple joint" technique with smooth stones which are 500-700 diameter. In the middle of this oval-shaped area, there is a tomb-like pile which looks like a tumulus.
Amasya museum has been founded initially in 1925 as a museum depot at Sultan Bayezid II Külliyeh. In 1962, all the items in the depot have been removed to Gökmedresseh (Blue Medresseh). Finally in 1977, the exhibits were brought to the current place. In 1980, it was redecorated and all the items in the museum were put in to chronological order. It was opened for exhibition in the same year. The museum is one of Turkey's richest and most modern museums with its 27.000 items that remained from 11 civilizations.
On the basement; there are amphorae, stone, bronze and baked soil coffins, statues which belong to Hellenistic and Roman Periods, Byzantine Age door wing, Seljuk and Ottoman Ages mosque doors that made of wood.
In the upper hall, there are many items from Bronze Age, Hittite, Urartu, Frigia, Sakha (Iskit), Hellenistic, and Roman periods.
In the Ethnographic Section, the remnants are presented for exhibition in separate display windows according to their categories as; kitchenware, women ornaments and jewellery, weapons, ceramics, some equipment for astronomy studies, bath sets, watches, lamps, sets and services for tea, coffee and cigarette, cure cups, steam cups and amulets, manuscripts of Koran and flags.
In the outdoor exhibition in the garden of the museum, there are some Roman Inscriptions on stones indicating "Province President of Pontus Kuvintus Falto Restitutiuanus and Roman Emperor Alexandre Severius. There are some marble milestones obtained from "Antique Roman Road"
In the museum garden, six pieces of mummies belonging to ilhanli Age are exhibited at the tomb of Sultan Mesut I. They belong to the son of Anatolian Minister Sultan Cumudar, Amir of Amasya Iþbuða Nuyin, Izzettin Mehmet Pervane, his wife, sons and daughters. It is known that mummies have been made with a special technique which differentiates them from other mummies.
Rock-cut Tombs of the Pontic Kings
These tombs were carved in limestone and are located on the southern foots of Harsena Mountain. They belong to the Hellenistic period. Strabon, the well-known geographer, claims that the tombs belong to Pontic kings.(4th cc. B.C) There are eighteen tombs in this King's Valley. There are 18 rock tombs in this valley.Related to:
- Adventure Travel
One of the famous pontic tombs is called "Aynali Magara" (the cave with the mirror) and it is known that it used to be a chapel. Inside the cave, it is possible to see the grave hole on the right wall. On the left wall, detailed figures of Virgin Mary and the Twelve Apostles are drawn in brown and red, which is a characteristic feature of Byzantine art.
Hasan Talat Efendi who was the Provincial Treasurer of Amasya built the mansion, in 1865, in the memory of his sister Hazeran Haným. It is the most beautiful example of the local civil architecture of the Ottoman Period. There are two main entrances to the building which includes four antechambers and a central main entrance hall (sofa).
The basement of the house is used as the State Fine Art Gallery exhibition room. There is a "men's headquarter room" which is the reception area where men used to meet. There are hand made trousseau of the bride textile work which she brings in her hope-chest.
There is another museum called Alpaslan Museum in Taþova. There are many items of local archeologic and etnographic remnants in the museum
Büyük Aga Medressah
Hüseyin Agha, the private secretary of Sultan Bayezid II built it in 1488. The octagonal plan that had been seen in Asia Minor during the reign of the Seljuks was first used in the medresseh during the Ottoman period. There are vaulted porticos on each side. Behind them, there are domed rooms. The classrooms were connected to other sides with half domes and they constitute the main building. Three portico domes over the classroom were strongly supported
Sultan 2nd Bayezid Mosque
BAYEZID II MOSQUE AND KULLIYEH
It was constructed in the name of Ottoman Sultan Bayezid II, in 1485.
It is composed of a mosque, medresseh and "tabhane" where the handwritten books were duplicated. It represents a fine instance of "L" shaped mosques. The mosque has a front prayer place covered with five domes connected to each other with a large arch. There is also the main prayer place covered with two domes on both sides. The twisting minaret on the east side of the mosque is also decorations on it. There is a "U" shaped medresseh on the west side. The "L" shaped complex on the east used to serve as an "imarethane" (hospice) where the poor were fed, and the guests were accommodated. It is believed that the oak trees in the garden are as old as the mosque.
If you are fond of history and archeology,you should visit Amasya.It is one of the most beautiful cities in Turkey.
Amasya is a place where you cant ask for more...Related to:
Top Amasya Ili Hotels
- Amasya Hotels
- 122 Reviews - 411 Photos
Explore the World
- Provincetown Hotels
- Bukit Mertajam Hotels
- Tybee Island
- Tin Shui Wai Hotels
- Naqoura Hotels