Alanya Favorites

Exchange office in the Bazzar area
    by gugi66
    cleopatra beach
    by shonesrb
  • kizil kule - red tower, by Sultan Aladdin Keykubat
    kizil kule - red tower, by Sultan...
    by shonesrb

Most Recent Favorites in Alanya

• gugi66's Profile Photo

Drink

by gugi66 Written Sep 9, 2011

My favorite

Favorite thing: In the summertime it gets very hot in Alanya, it's not unusual to get 40-50 degrees celcius during daytime.

So it's really important to drink a lot of water or my sport drink so you don't dehydrate.

The travel guide said for every 10 degrees you should drink 1 liter of water or sport drink.

A small bottle of water costs about 0,5 Lira (about 0,25 Euro)
    A big bottle of water costs about 1 Lira (about 0,5 Euro)
    A bottle of Powerade cost 3 Lira (about 1,5 Euro)

It all depends where you buy it.

• Beaches

• dariojustin's Profile Photo

Blue Sky

by dariojustin Updated Jul 18, 2007

Favorite thing: The fortress of Alanya on the hillside
    Cleopatra beach
    Shopping in the main street
    Charter a fishing boat

Fondest memory: As a tourist destination it is easy to be ripped-off, thinking that you are taking the best deals when shopping, just shop at the main street of Alanya!!!

• Average Holiday

by yosyos Written Apr 29, 2006

Favorite thing: There is no favorite thing about Alanya for me, i think Side,Kemer,Bodrum,Marmaris,Fethiye are much better places to go. There are 4 main reasons why i dont like Alanya.

- The weather is windy and warm which i dont like.

- Beaches are mixed with sand and stone and algeas. And seperated with rocks.

- Sea is blurry&wavy.

- If you stay outside Alanya centre, there is nothing to do and buy outside the hotel. You may only rely on the hotel's disco.

Fondest memory: Maybe nice sunset.

• RoyJava's Profile Photo

BYE ALANYA

by RoyJava Updated Jul 18, 2005

bye-alanya

Favorite thing: Some Practical Information

Local time:
    GMT+3 hrs (April-September) GMT+2 hours (October-March)

Time Differences:
    Argentina -5, France -1, Netherlands -1, Australia +8, Germany -1, Saudi Arabia+1, Austria -1, Greece 0, Sweden -1, Egypt 0, Italy -1, Switzerland -1, England -2, Japan +7, Spain -1, USA -7 (EST) -10 (WEST)

Electricity:
    220 volts AC/50 Hz. all over Turkey.

Water:
    It is said the water is safe to drink, though remember it is chlorinated. Better buy the Aqua bottles

Visiting a mosque:
    Muslims do pray 5 times a day in the mosque. Entering a mosque always remove your shoes, and wash yourself. Better avoid during praying time, and women should cover their arms and head (not allowed when period time), do not wear a miniskirt. Also men should not wear short pants. Show respect all the time!

Fondest memory: Alanya is also known as "Pearl of the Turkish Riviera" and is world-famous for it's large fine, clean beach, good clear swim water and comfortable Mediterranean climate. Although not super satisfied (not that clean beach, cloudy sea-water and, stones in it, rainy days) we had a nice holiday-stay and, even some sunny days. In one or another way we felt happy to go home and maybe return to explore the more historical areas ...
    Thanks afterall Alanya

• Hiking and Walking

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo

Pretzel vendor

by nigelw6443 Updated Apr 29, 2005

Simit vendor at the harbour.

Favorite thing: If you want to grab a quick snack there are always simit vendors available selling fresh simit and Turkish pide bread. Simit by the way is the Turkish version of the pretzel, who knows, what came first the simit or the pretzel?

Fondest memory: Great bread.

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

Special encouters : cold-blooded

by belgianchocolate Written Dec 19, 2003

reptile

Favorite thing: Some of our best friends are cold-blooded. (Ive read that sentence on someones page once).

No there not exactly my friends...but I don't dislike them. And actually , I find them quit fascinating.

I met this fellow in the wild. There coldblooded nature makes them fanatic sunbathers.

So this is one of my fondest memories...meeting a cold-blooded reptile sunbathing and catching the creature on film.

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo

Fruit drink

by nigelw6443 Written Sep 29, 2003

Juice vendor

Favorite thing: We had just got off the Dolmus and were looking for a place to stop and have a drink, when we came across this old chap selling a wonderful blend of orange and pomegranite juice. He even gave me a smoke and a chair to sit on whilst I had my drink. And of course a photo with opportunity with my girlfriend!

Fondest memory: Real tasty fruit drink!

• Luxury Travel

Ruins of Side

Ruins of Side

Favorite thing: Side is located 60 km west of Alanya and you can take day trips to side with bus.

The Ruins of Side is the No.1 tourist spot for tourists. It's located on a peninsula and lies almost at the sea. The beautiful Apollotemple is a memorial, monument since the Roman Empire

• Adventure Travel

Fishing trip

by dave_21 Written Feb 25, 2003

Me sitting and waiting for the boat to come

Favorite thing: Ok, I'm a fishing maniac! I love to eat fish dishes and go on fishing trips. I did not bring my camera that day and still angry about it...

We caughted about 20 large fishes, I can't remember the name on it but they were beautiful. I do remember the sun that day and the coulour of my skin was like my T-shirt I'm wear on the photo...hahahha

Fondest memory: Watching the beautiful sunset from the boat

• Fishing

Parks

by dave_21 Written Feb 25, 2003

My girlfriend in the park

Favorite thing: There are beautiful parks in the area, I love talking to the elder people who sat all day in the shadow playing local Turkish games and Chess.
    One day an old man invited us into his home and that was very interesting. He had a lot of old things as statues, carpets, leather statues. And of couse he invited us to eat with his family. The local Turkish meal we was served was marvelous!
    I still have contact with his son who was in my age. Very friendly people.

• dave_21's Profile Photo

Turtles at the markets...

by dave_21 Written Feb 24, 2003

2,000,000 for a Turtle...

Favorite thing: Hmmm, they have a funny way putting the price labels on stuff. First I thoght that they named them allready but when I looked closer I saw that every Turtle had a price label on the shield! Well it didn't harm the Turtles so I laughed a lot when I saw it!

Fondest memory: They are great with creating leather stuff, especielly leather-masks!

• dave_21's Profile Photo

If you like sweet things...

Turkish Candy

Favorite thing: Try some traditional turkish candy!
    It's the sweetest experience I ever had with candy...Don't forget to brush you teeth right after or else there will be bees and bumblebees all around you =)

Fondest memory: I ate to much of this stuff....
    Extremly sweet

Local markets - Juggler and salesmen

Juggler and salesmen

Favorite thing: Wow! This is a must visit place when you are here =)
    The cheapest place I ever been to! I bought vegetable and fruits for months! Here is also a chance to talk to local people who lives in the small mountain villages outside Alanya.
    The biggest market is the sunday market.

Fondest memory: OK. Of course they sell everything here, but when they tried to sell a brand new car....

Traffic

Atat��rk Caddesi

Favorite thing: There are about 200,000 inhabitants in Alanya and everyone seems to have a moped or a car. And specially at lunchtime the traffic is very intense.

The biggest street in Alanya is Atatürk Caddesi. This street is surrounded with small cheap stores and markets! If you want to buy leather or leather purses this is the place!

The Harbour

The Harbour

Favorite thing: The Harbour is beatiful. There are a lots of activities. If you want to take a trip to west Alanya or just a Cruise at the area around Alanya there are hunderds boats to choose from, the prices is almost the same because they don't want any competitions.
    But when it comes to attract people to their boats there is a competition! =)

• Cruise

Instant Answers: Alanya

Comments

Alanya Favorites

Reviews and photos of Alanya favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Alanya sightseeing.