Altinkum Restaurants

by WendyBee
    by janeee
    by janeee

Best Rated Restaurants in Altinkum

• Penguin Cafe Bar: ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!

by funkymonkey01 Written Jul 19, 2008

3rd beach is said to be not only the best beach in Altinkum, but the best in the whole of Turkey. In close proximity to the beach, there are only 2 restaurants, one of which is the Penguin. I have been to both, and fully recommend the penguin over the other, as, there, you are expected to eat up, pay up and leave. In the Penguin, you can sit for as long as you want, either inside under their cooling fan, or outside in their garden area, watching the waves. At night time, sit outside to enjoy the ambiance of chirping crickets, and the quiet lapping of the sea on the shore. Take a walk on the nearby beach (literally 30 seconds from the restaurant) and dip your toes in the sea at night. Honestly, it's a wonderful experience.

Ali, the owner, and all of his staff, are extremely friendly. The Penguin is a family run business, and the staff have a very good grasp of English. Ali himself is married to an Irish woman, and so, from time to time, he imports propper Brittish food to augment his menu. The prices are cheap, and the food is all freshly prepared. None of it is pre-cooked and reheated, and I know this, because I went in his kitchens. The food is reasonably priced, as are his drinks which he will serve, regardless of whether you eat there or not. The staff will also carry your drinks to the beach for you, if you want a spot of sunbathing. They hire sunbeds for 4 lira each, which works out at £1.60 for the whole day. Even if you return to the hotel, as long as you tell Ali you're going, the sunbed will still be yours when you come back.

On a Thursday, they do a Turkish night. Unlike many places, you don't actually have to pay for the entertainment (belly and break dancers, +dancing girls, fireworks and more). All they ask is that you have a meal there. They will serve traditional Turkish cuisine, as well as Brittish stuff for the kids, and the adults who don't want Turkish.

The restaurant runs a bus service which will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel free of charge. Please tip the bus driver though, as it's a nice, and very well received, gesture. Ali's brother owns the Parasol Bar, a really excellent little night spot in Dolphin Square. It's a lovely place, being kid friendly, but also completely adult friendly. It's easy to spend the whole night partying there, knowing that your children are safe. (please see my tip under 'night life' for more detailed information). The Penguin bus will also do pick ups and drop offs at the Parasol Bar, so, if you want to drink but are worried about getting home, it's a perfect solution. Again, the staff are very friendly, with an excellent grasp of English. The drinks are some of the cheapest in Dolphin Square.

If you want to visit either place, please ask the hotel to call the Penguin Bus. Most will have the number. If they say they don't, please insist, as many will try not to call due to the Turkish/Curdish divide/feud. It would be a shame for you to miss out on a great day at the beach, and an excellent night out, only because of some Turkish politics! I really hope that you will enjoy your time when you go. Please mention me, Carly, Sandra's niece, and, once they know you know us, you will be guaranteed an even warmer welcome (if that is possible). They really will look after you.

Favorite Dish: I absolutely love the Chicken in White Sauce. They bring it out in a traditional Turkish clay pot, complete with fire underneath it to keep the meal warm. It's served with Turkish rice, chips, mashed potato and salad. The meat is some of the nicest, and purest, I have ever tasted. No fat, skin, grissel, etc, just pure meat. It's priced at a very reasonable 16 Lira, £6.40.

• Sahills: food to die for

by jayneee Written Sep 23, 2006

you have just got to go there it brill i loved it the meals are lovely especially the sunday dinners you get soup then your meal then apple crumple and custard mmmmmmmmmm its great on our holiday we only wen for a week unfortunaltly and i think we ate there 5 times it was that good there is any thing you can think of on the menu and all the waiters are realy lovevely and down o earth i loved it ther you sould definatly try it because wen we go back next year well be goin there again if brill i no i loved it so you should to !!

• Water Sports

• b85abydoll's Profile Photo

Mercury Restaurant: English Breakfasts! Amazing

by b85abydoll Written Jul 3, 2006

Mercury Restaurant - They had English Bread for proper English Toast! That may not seem like the biggest thing in the world but I was going from restaurant to restaurant trying to find myself proper english toast to sort myself for the rest of the day and i found it there jus down the road from my hotel!! Perfect!

Well apart from the toast the boys who worked there were so lovely they made sure everything was ok but didnt pester or make us feel obliged to speak, they respected our privacy while we ate and then came and chatted when we had ALL finished!

Favorite Dish: Toast - Its English but I think you could of guessed from the above statement! =-)

• johnnywhitepants's Profile Photo

Summer Gardens: romantic evenings

by johnnywhitepants Written May 1, 2006

The summer garden is situated directly over looking the agean sea, inside or outside seating, a romantic atmosphere and very freindly staff,free local pick up and drop off service,food is fantastic ,you will enjoy your evening.

Favorite Dish: i have had many different meals and can recomend the local dishes on the menu to satisfy your tastebuds.

• Ibos Restaurant: THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN

by kinders Written Sep 9, 2004

Ibos Restaurant

If you go to Altinkum you MUST go to the Ibos restaurant, it's right opposite the Tuntas Hotel at the end of the beach.
    The food is fantasic, the prices very reasonable, and the staff are out of this world! Terri (the owner) and Serge, Mehmet, Fredinand, Chris, and the boys are the most welcoming people I have ever met. They put on a great show every night, and cannot do enough for you. Honestly, these guys don't stop dancing and entertaining all night! It is a real experience and one not to be missed.

Favorite Dish: Everything we tried at the Ibos was excellent. So much so, that my other half closed the menu, and just asked for the 8th dish down on page 4! It was still excellent!
    I would have to say that the meat seems to be the best quality I had in Altinkum. They have very high standards in quality, and presentation. My favorite dish would probably have to the sirloin steak (I know not very exotic!) Cooked to perfection, with a host of rice, vegetables, salad, mash and chips, and served with a delicious sauce of prawns, garlic, onions, and cream.

• Beaches

• Palmiye Restaurant(sea front): The best food in altinkum

by jallison Updated Mar 20, 2007

When walking past this restaurant, your 'greeter' outside during the day is wearing his Real Madrid 'RONALDO' shirt. His actual name is Davit, you are made very welcome on entering the restaurant and everything is very clean. The kitchen is virtually out in the restaurant so you know exactly what you are getting. The food is first class and the variety is really good. The service is excellent and you are never waiting very long for the food to arrive. My daughters built up a very good relationship with the owner xavier and when on the beach during the day, the girls went up to the Palmiye and always came back with a free drink!!, they are that friendly. The waiters are very helpful especially another Davit, and when our holiday finished there was tears on everybodies part because they made our holiday so very special.
    we are off again in july 07 and we all cant wait. 5*****

Favorite Dish: Their kebabs outside are well worth a try, around 3 turkish lira- just over a quid.
    you must try their jacket potatoesas well, when they are cooked, they mush the inside up and chuck lots of cheese and butter in.
    Also I recommend the 'proper' steak and chips.

• ettenaj's Profile Photo

Tommys: snacks

by ettenaj Written Oct 27, 2003

Altinkum

Always there to welcome you day and night ,was Tommy, calls all the children John Travolta!! Nice enough guy nothing too much trouble, even came to the coach when we were leaving to say goodbye. Hope he is still there cos that was 5 years ago.

Favorite Dish: Everything was ok

• Ikbals (Sea front of Altinkum): Excellent frappuccions and fresh smoothies!

by NaomiCampbell Written Sep 1, 2008

I am really fussy about getting well made drinks, whether it is an ice coffee, milkshake, or fresh smoothie. I tried everywhere, but Ikbals restaurant was the only place that made drinks like this. Amazing. The food is excellent too. We visited 3 times on our trip and we were never disappointed. They even gave us complimentary turkish coffee! Not often you would get much for free in Turkey. The restaurant is unique and there is a lovely cocktail menu. Thumbs UP!!!

Favorite Dish: Ikbals special wrap. You will NOT need a starter with this....WOW what a feed!

• Sehir Lokantasi: Exellent Turkish Food

by kenders Written Jan 15, 2008

Sehir Lokantasi is located in Didim town main square. We were first taken there by our property developers and we noted how many local people dined there. They serve traditional Turkish cuisine which you choose from the hot plates at extreemly reasonable prices. The waiters will explain all the dishes to you. Tables are laid up inside and outside of the restaurant. I prefer the outside as you can then see all the hustle and bustle of the town. I have only dined at lunchtime and have not tried it in the evening. A free car service is available from your accommodation to the restaurant and back again as with most restaurants. So, try the true taste of Turkey.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish is the lamb stew, not sure what it is called there.

• Istanbul Kanatcisi: Above average Turkish cuisine

by kenders Written Jan 15, 2008

Istanbul Kanatcisi restaurant is situated on the Ege Caddesi road. This restaurant opened in 2006. They serve traditional Turkish cuisine, the food is excellent along with the service with a large variety of mezes. You can also choose your meat from the large fridges outside the kitchens. Seating inside and outside. More expensive than some of the restaurants but nice for a treat. Free car service available. Tel: (0533) 439 53 36

Favorite Dish: The large variety of mezes.

• Valentines: Wide choice of cuisines

by kenders Written Jan 15, 2008

Valentines open all through the year, family restaurant/bar serving English dishes from roast dinners , sausage & chips to Turkish pizza (pida) , large screen sky t.v , inside play area for young children. Situated on the main boulevard road. Excellent choice if a family celebration occurs while on holiday.

• Palmiye Restaurant(sea front): The best fod in altinkum

by jallison Updated Mar 20, 2007

we are off again in july 07 and we all cant wait. 5*****

Also I recommend the 'proper' steak and chips.

• dolphin caf'e bar: breakfasts to die for

by titsnteeth06 Updated Oct 7, 2006

I loved the breakfast it was lovely but so was the chef who made it very sweet guy his name was ev'len , really nice people very friendly! its too a wkd bar of a night great entertainment for all the family young/old

Favorite Dish: all of it was very nice to me an i am very fussy bout wot i eat too ! sunday roast only 20 ytl very good value i thought really tasty just enough for me as i like a pint wiv everything he he !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• salis or oriental: great breakfast and meals

by scattybat Updated Apr 4, 2011

the staff are friendly and will try to make any meal you ask for.
    it is on the corner of dolpin square overlooking the beach so its great for people watching.
    in the evening there is a nice breeze from the sea, you are still in the middle of all the entertainment but it is calmer.

Favorite Dish: we loved their breakfasts, we tried others but theors is just the best. we saw some of the other meals brought out and they all looked really appetising.
    breakfast and juice for 2 cost 20ytl

• Mayflower Armadios Restaurant and Cafe Bar: Make Time For A Visit!!

by liz4 Updated Sep 6, 2005

My friend and I went to Altikum in August 05. Most restaurants forced us through the door and were very pushy.This restaurant on the other hand we passed and seen the friendly staff and decided to go in.The service we received was fantastic we could not have asked for better and the general atmosphere was like being home from home, as it was so cosy we went here for the rest of the week.The food was great with a good mixture of english and turkish food.The menu catered for all and also did a range of mexician and italian foods.The children who visited the restaurant also had a ball as there was free playstation and pool table therefore, the adults could enjoy their diner and a drink and the children were kept occupied.We were waited on hand and foot for the whole week and everything was of the best of standards, there was great music too.If visiting altikum you must give it a try as we know you will enjoy your experience.

Favorite Dish: We tried several dishes in the restaurant and all of them were great.Cooked fresh and tasty.I prefered the chicken curry but the pizza is delish!We also tried a turkish dish and the taste was out of this world.The chef catered especially for english food as well as his native turkish food therefore the food was top notch.They also catered for mexican and italian foods.We never had one complaint and the food always reached us piping hot whereas in a few restaurants we tried before this one the food took ages and was kind of cold by the time it reached us.They also do a sweet menu for everyone with a sweet tooth.

• Beaches

Instant Answers: Altinkum

Comments

Altinkum Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Altinkum restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Altinkum sightseeing.