Antalya Tourist Traps

• Tourist Traps
    by mturkkan
    rafting-köprü river
    by mturkkan
    Döner at 1 lira (near Fila-building)
    by malasli

Best Rated Tourist Traps in Antalya

• malasli's Profile Photo

the real prýce...

by malasli Written Jul 18, 2005

D��ner at 1 lira (near Fila-building)

At fýrst I paýd 500 for the lýttle water bottles--untýl I came acros an honest guy and hencforth asked the store owners: Isn't ýt 250? And then they gave me my change...Same for everyday ýtems lýke Ayran ( salty yoghurt drýnk). (It's 400 or 500--not one LR)

Also, whenever I asked the prýce ýn Turkýsh--ýt was consýderably lower than before ýn other places or even the same--unfortunately I don't know all the numbers so sometýmes I would just nodd as ýf I understood and hand over the money, sometýmes better.

Ironýcally holdýng an empty or full contaýner of Ayranýn my hand made people thýnk I am Turkýsh--or at least thqat I am not a newbýe tourýst. Good for bargaýnýng.

The thýng ýs when everyday ýtems are (made) so expsensýve, you have no more budget for restaurants etc. At one hotel they charged me 1.5 mýllýon for a water botle that cost 50 ýn the supermarket--that ýn a budget place...Goýng to a supermarket ýs a good way to learn the prýces.

Also when I go s-clotehs shoppýong ýt helps to know the prýces ýn the býg shops where they have prýce tags. The small places wýll usually sell for half of that. The best bets are from street vendors. IN teh old town--never! They won't go down because they are sure somebody wýll be astupýd enough to pay what they are askýng.

Unique Suggestions: Also: Always ask for a receýpt when you are not sure at certaýn places--ýn case ýt goes ýnto sombody's own pocket when they are overchargýng you.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• BURGER KING DELUXE

by Cougar234 Written Aug 14, 2005

If you are on your way back home in antalya airport and you fell hungry don't even think about visiting burger king. They trippled the prices so that you pay for a normal menu around 12€! Once you have ordered they won't let you go away.

Fun Alternatives: Try eating in one of the other restaurants around. much cheaper!!

• Redule's Profile Photo

Turkish bath today

by Redule Updated Sep 9, 2002

What do we have now? Short description of the procedure:

*Lie on the marble platform for a while.

*Then a nice Turkish boy comes and washes and peelings your body.

*Then the same boy pours soap foams on you. (If he likes your... blue eyes, he will offer to take a drive with his water motorcycle for unlimited time (later, after bathing)).
    *Then cold water, brrrrr...(really it was not so cold).

*Okey, now you are wrapped up in a towel, drinking tea and waiting for massage.

*Then the same Turkish boy (or woman) massages you from toes to fingers. (If he likes your... nice smile, he will offer you to go for disco in the night).
    Will you agree or not, never mind, you will leave the bath like on the wings (result of bathing, massage and fragrant oils).

P.S. I am often asked if I am in this picture. I should painfully dissappoint you: NO, IT IS NOT ME.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

There I was, wandering the...

by iandsmith Updated Sep 5, 2002

Timely walls

There I was, wandering the streets of old Antalya during my early morning sojourn when I chanced upon an enticing staircase drawing me to the harbour. Its time worn stone steps and solid walls embedded in the hillside had an aura of things past that I couldn't resist. My vision was soon to be altered.
    I had scarcely commenced my descent when I couldn't help but notice a gentleman? on the steps some way further below. I couldn't but notice him because he was urinating on the side wall. The further I descended, the more I too felt a painful need as the cool morning air stimulated my bladder. Being more cultured I sought out a public toilet which I finally discovered at the harbourside. Problem is of course - you have to pay! Next time I might consider being uncultured and venting my spleen; well, actually, other parts near there, on the walls of time.

Unique Suggestions: Go to the toilet before you leave your accommodation!

• goodspkr's Profile Photo

Two stand out. Side (SEE DAY)...

by goodspkr Updated Aug 26, 2002

Two stand out. Side (SEE DAY) is on a lot of trips to Perge and Aspendos. It is a tourist trap and reminded me of a Turkish Fisherman's Wharf.

When we returned to the airport to come back, we were in Turkey, but we were in an airport. The prices were unbelieveable. The same bottle of water you would buy in Antalya for 300,000 TL was 2,750,000 TL there.

• B_Caro's Profile Photo

Buying carpets in Antalya

by B_Caro Updated Sep 13, 2002

Selling carpets

looking at carpets !

Unique Suggestions: People like to invite you in their shop, offering tea, and try to sell carpets.
    If you don't be careful they get all the carpets they have and you can sit their for several hours and watch

• Wen-Chi's Profile Photo

You should try take boat then...

by Wen-Chi Written Aug 24, 2002

You should try take boat then have short trip to see nice shoreline in Antalya.
    The trip with boat about US$10~15 .I am not sure what the price ppls get but I am sure you should always try cut price before you buy anything.

• FRAUD, be carefull of MITHRA TRAVEL or TURSAB

by fyruz Written Sep 16, 2007

I bought a trip to Pamukkale from MITHRA TRAVEL. I was told there is going to be an english guide and that the bus was in good shape and air conditioned. The trip details in there brochures stated that arrival to Pamukkale will be at noon time. It also stated that there will be one stop on the way back at Tavas to see carpet loom. The guy I talked to insured me that we will be back to Antalya by 8:30 - 9:00 pm, and that there will be a free lunch.
    We were transferred to another bus after we were picked up from our hotel. The bus was in a horrible condition. Smelly, dirty and all seats were torn and in very bad shape. The bus belonged to BUGRA TOURS as the plate on the front window was saying. Our guide hardly new few words of Englishand was rude, impolite and lacked manners. On the way to Pamukkale, we made a 1st stop (for breakfast). We had a 2nd stop at ONYX factory and 3rd stop at Textile factory and 4th stop for lunch which was not for free . At last we arrived at Pamukkle close to 3:oo pm. We were droped there and were told to be back to the bus by 5:oo . Our suffer was not to end yet. On our way back they stopped at a Friut Wine Factory, then a stop to a free supper? and another "toilet stop" . At last we were back to our hotel by 11:10 pm. Exhausted, and hungary since the food was bad and we could not eat nothing. I mentioned what had happened to the staff at the reception desk, and I was surprised to be told that things like this is always happening to tourists. Why actions to stop such frauds and cheatings is not taken by the goverment yet, I can't understand.

• If you want to eat something...

by claan Written Sep 2, 2002

If you want to eat something and there is no menu card. Ask the prices upfront otherwise you get screwed and you have to pay a lot of money for your snack!

Instant Answers: Antalya

Comments

Antalya Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Antalya tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Antalya sightseeing.