Antalya Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
    by Benson35
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by Anya_D
  • photographing: YES! - - taking away: NO!!
    photographing: YES! - - taking away:...
    by Leipzig

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Antalya

• Watch out for Maki Tur!

by Bombka89 Written Sep 17, 2013

Watch out for this agency. We paid for a trip to Perge, Aspendos, Side and Kursunlu Waterfalls. Instead of taking us to this beautiful Nature Park they took us to lower Duden waterfall, which is in Antalya and we had already been there. I asked the guide why he didn't take us to Kursunlu Waterfall. He said that he changed his mind! Next day we went to the Maki Tur office, which is near the clock tower in Antalya, and the man who was working there was rude. He called the guide and claimed that the guide had asked everyone and no one protested against going to Duden instead of Kursunlu Waterfalls. Well, he obviously didn't ask us, he also didn't ask using the microphone so that we would hear it at the back of the bus. How convenient for them! The man also said that he doesn't believe us that we didn't hear... The talk was ridiculous! And he didn't even say sorry for wasting our time and money!

• Archeology
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• tudors pub, not for modern women

by guntherC Written Apr 9, 2013

My wife, my sister-in-law and I got thrown out of Tudors pub by 6 thugs because my sister-in-law's skirt was supposedly too short. (for the record it reached her knees) All the while there are prostitutes in the club with hotpants and signs saying "show your boobs" on the wall. The police stated that Kaleici (the old city center of Antalya) is to be avoided and modern women should choose to go out in Lara or Konyalti, outside the old city.

• Music

• tudors pub, not for modern women

by guntherC Written Apr 9, 2013

I visited Tudors pub with my wife and sister-in-law. We were thrown out by 6 guys because the skirt of my sister-in-law was not long enough according to them. There are prostitutes in the bar with mini-shorts and sings on the wall saying "show your boobs", but normal women visiting the bar are expected to behave conservatively or get out. The police say literally to steer clear of the old city (Kaleici) at night and go to clubs in Lara or Konyalti, which are further away from the old city center.

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Women's Travel

• Persuasive Restaurant Owners...

by sairs153 Written Jul 31, 2012

I went to turkey a couple of weeks ago and i found some places to be truly beautiful. I loved side so if ur travelling there it is a must see. it's really pretty!! just be careful though because some restaurant owners will stand outside their restaurants and offer u all these different deals and then forget about them when its time for u to pay the bill. one of the places we visited in the busy town of manavgat gave us some fish ( the meal was awful and it cost us 120 tl) which ended up giving my mum food poisoning. The guy was joking with my dad and acting happy but then turned deathly serious when it became time to pay the bill. So just watch out for that. The cabs can be quite expensive so if u know where ur going its best to take the bus, however if your not sure don't take the risk.

Also for women, the men tend to stare a lot and they are not subtle about it. i found it really creepy and felt myself feeling irritated and vulnerable at times. Just make sure you've got someone with you and stay away from deserted places and u'll be fine. I really recommend Boat trips because they are really fun but obviously clarify the price beforehand. we didn't have much trouble with pickpockets, turkey seems fairly safe to me but still keep a look out. And ladies protect ur handbags!!

Aside from that, Antalya is a nice place so if ur planning on going, i hope u enjoy it!

• Benson35's Profile Photo

Pickpockets

by Benson35 Written Mar 10, 2012

As with everywhere - watch out for pickpockets.
    These people operate in shopping areas and areas where your focus is somewhere else. Keep your eye on your belongings, and just because your wallet/purse is in a zipped pocket, it doesn't mean it's safe. These people make a living out of pickpocketing - they are very good at it.

• Rent A Car Antalya

by StewieR Written Sep 12, 2010

Please be very careful if you book a car rental through RENT A CAR ANTALYA. I used this company and was required to leave a cash deposit of £200. When I returned the car the agent agreed that the car was in perfect condition but had 'forgotten' my deposit. What could I do when I had a plane to catch. He promised to send the money to me by Western Union.

1 month later I am still waiting for this money to be returned to me. I would advise you NEVER to use this company!

• Beaches

• eddy456's Profile Photo

Keep handbags safe/keep on arm away from road

by eddy456 Written Feb 21, 2010

Women make sure to carry your handbag safely. When walking on sidewalks close to the roads, carry your handbag on the arm away from the road, there have been some cases where either a motorbike or car slows down to try and snatch them.

• Women's Travel

• turkish female tour guides

by ajslou Updated Mar 19, 2008

my wife and i went to antalya last year september 2007 , on the way home getting off the coach at antalya airport the turkish guide gave us her e mail address and mobile number!!
    we began writing but when we stopped writing at christmas time she threatened to ruin our marriage she was sending threatning texts even christmas day!! which ruined our christmas and new year!! we complained to our tour company and even numerous e mails to the company in which she worked for, NO RESPONSE. in the end (march 2008) we had to change our email address.and mobile number. i even suffer from depression now. WARNING if you go to antalya and happen to meet a young attractive tour guide on your excursions or transfer coaches pls avoid ! beleive me i dont want this happening to anyone else.

• Guided tours to Kekova and Kursunlu waterfalls

by barefrat Updated May 3, 2007

We booked a guided tour with Maki Tur in Antalya to Myra and Kekova, because the prospect said that we would be sailing over the ruins of a house, a church and a port of the sunken city of Kekova. Ahmet, our guide did not want to go out on the boat, but after some persuasion he agreed. However, we were shown nothing at all of the sunken city. We only saw a few remains of the ancient Greek city on the coastline. So when we wanted to go on a tour to Perge, Aspendos and the Kursunlu Waterfalls we decided to book with another firm. To our surprise we got the same guide again, because several tourist firms put their clients together. The guide, who doubled as driver, showed us the imposing remains of Perge and the theater of Aspendos, but, instead of taking us to the Kursunlu Waterfalls, as promised, he took us, without saying a word, to the lower Duden waterfall, which is very close to Antalya, and not in a national park as the Kursunlu Falls. He probably thought that those stupid tourists would not know the difference, and he would save time and money. So make sure beforehand that you get what was promised.

• Archeology
    • Eco-Tourism

• malasli's Profile Photo

the keyboard

by malasli Written Sep 3, 2005

As you can still see in my text, the keyboard is different in Turkey - especially and specifically the "i "character, which is an "i" without a dot on it on the keyboard, but will turn into a "Y" with an accent on top of it in the text.

That's prettty annoying when you brought plenty of work to be finished in the local internet cafes.

However you can go to word's "replace" function and "Yapestir" all the Y's into perfect i's, but it's very very nervewrecking, time and Lira-consuming and somehow never comes out even.

I am not sure how well a laptop, if you happen to own one, and only that one, would respond to sauna-temperatures plus extreme humidity in the summer....

• Antalya, Turkey Numerous cases of Rape by Turks

by Travelling-Muse Written Nov 11, 2003

Be careful all travelers to Antalya
    My bother and sister in law just returned from Antalya a couple of days ago.
    They booked a 5 star hotel-package from a reputable travel agency here in Germany.
    Three days before their return back to Germany, while my brother was out, my sister in law decided to go for a walk in the small nature path starting at the hotel. Half way through the path, she was attacked and raped by a Turkish man, and pushed down a steep mountain cliff where she sustained heavy injuries, need less to mention the mental damage he caused her.
    Any way, my brother went to the Police which only made things worse. The police treated the matter recklessly and as a matter of fact, they seemed to get a kick of the whole thing.
    And what's even worse, is that it all happens in the middle of Ramadan, the holy month, where, to ALLAH, supposedly, looking at a woman with lust is as big of a SIN as raping here.. Ooh we are so furious....

• Spa and Resort
    • Beaches

• Jusba's Profile Photo

Shoe polish

by Jusba Written Jul 23, 2003

There are young kids (especailly boys) almost running after you on the streets trying to polish your shoes regardless of what kind of shoes you might have (sandals, sneakers...they´ll all do)
    Just don´t stop to let one of them start to polish. If you do, suddenly you might notice five new boys polishing the same shoes that were just polished...then they´ll all want money.
    Try to let them understand, you are not interested.
    But if you are, then just walk to the streets, show some money, soon they be busy like bees!

• balfor's Profile Photo

Be careful where you sit!

by balfor Updated Jun 3, 2003

Where do I sit?

For those of us used to having a porcelein bowl for our bodily functions, don't let habit catch you off guard here. One slip and it could be a memory you'll never forget (no matter how hard you may try!)

• National/State Park

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

I swear to God (not much...

by iandsmith Written Aug 26, 2002

Fancy some water with that drink sir?

I swear to God (not much should be taken of that since I'm an atheist) but this is where my organized and paid for tour took me for lunch! Needless to say life belts and rafts were a prerequisite! What had happened was that they had had the heaviest snows on the mountains for about 30 years and guess where the water went when it melted! Luckily our riverside restaurant had an upstairs section but unluckily they were so concerned about the floodwaters that we ended up eating elsewhere.

• emmandtom's Profile Photo

Men! The men in Antalya are,...

by emmandtom Written Aug 26, 2002

Men! The men in Antalya are, I'm sorry to say, dangerous, sexist, vulgar and creepy (if you are a woman). I could not safely leave the hotel by myself by day or night, we had to go out in groups of three and probably every other time we would be followed home by Turkish men in cars or have to run down other streets to lose them. We got harrased where ever we went. One girl I knew of becuase good friends with a supposedly charming young Turkish man and he became her 'boyfriend'. For 3 weeks he met her at the hotel and we would all go to dinner, he seemed to be different and respect her, he didn't act pushy, until the night when she trusted him and he said he was taking her to meet his family. He did take her to her families house and his brothers and father took it in turns to gang rape her and afterwards they through her out onto the street. What made it worse was the police would not get involved and do anything about it.

Instant Answers: Antalya

Comments

Antalya Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Antalya warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Antalya sightseeing.