Stretching over the ancient Eurymedon – today the Kőpruҫay – the old Roman bridge piers were reused during the reign of Selҫuk sultan Alaadin Keykubat (1219-1236). A series of seven graceful arches cross the river. The local Turkish highway administration restored the bridge between 1996 -1998.
The acropolis and main build buildings of the town stood behind the theater. Water was provided by the way of an aqueduct which stretched for some 15 km to the hills to the north. The best surviving section of the multi-storied aqueduct is reached off a signed side road a little to the north of the theater. Plenty of locals run juice and souvenir stands at base.
Built in 155 CE by the Greek architect Zenon, the theater here in Aspendos is maybe the best preserved theater surviving from ancient times in the World. Built into the city acropolis, the theater could hold around 15,000 people. The auditorium is attached to the stage two-storied stage building in the Roman style. Forty columns and statue niches were at the back top of the theater. The theater lived on in Selҫuk times and the stage building was reused as a palace by the Selҫuks of Rum in the 13C AD. Post holes in the upper level can be seen which were used for awnings that were used to shade the audience.