Kalkan Restaurants

RAMIS TERRACE RESTAURANT: THE BEST FOOD IN KALKAN

by gwendar Written Aug 3, 2012

ROOF TOPS OF KALKAN

THE FOOD HERE IS WONDERFUL
    IT HAS AN AMBIENCE OF WARMTH WITH VIEWS OVER KALKAN,THAT ARE PURE MAGIC,ANY MEAL HERE IS TREAT FOR YOUR TASTE BUDS.

Favorite Dish: THE DISHES THAT STAND OUT FOR ME ARE THE CHICKEN STUFFED WITH APRICOTS,AND THE FISH KEBABS BOTH COOKED TO PERFECTION.
    THERE ARE SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM ID SAY THEY ARE ALL EXERLENT.

• KalkanReview's Profile Photo

Merkez: A Simple Cafe Takes A Big Step

by KalkanReview Updated Apr 4, 2011

Now, as my first review I should introduce myself. I am from the UK, and I go to Kalkan quite alot. This is the 3rd time I have been, and it is going very well.

Now, I should get down to the actual review. Merkez is a small cafe down in the town where you can sit and relax, or enjoy a meal. It is only small, so there is no chairs to sit inside. But who needs to sit inside when you can enjoy the sun of Kalkan with a glass of lemonade?

It offers a selection of well over 30 dishes for you to try, so there is many chances to dine there. Some food is quite expensive and posh, while you may want to choose a cheeper dish which is just as nice. The service is brilliant, as when I entered the waiter greeted me with a handshake and a nice "Welcome to Merkez! May I get you a seat?". The seats were very comfortable to sit on, and it had a good view of the mountains in the distance.

As I was not to hungry, I ordered something simple, the Spaghetti Bolignese with a drink of Watermelon Juice. When I got the drink I took a sip with my straw and fell into a cloud from heaven. It was absoloutely delicious and had noticebly just been freshly squeezed. It was so good in fact, I gulped it all down in one sip.

When I got my food, I happily said "Thank you" which is taken well in Turkey and alot of other countries. The cutelry was layed out nicely with a napkin underneath. They also provided salt and pepper on the table. I reached for what I though was the salt, but found that it was pepper when my older brother said "Thats pepper, mate.". I started to eat and found the food lovely, yet simple. It was some well cooked spaghetti, with a not-to-thick tomato sauce on top, mixed with a good selection of vegetables. It came with some melted cheese on top, which I am actualy not a huge fan of, but I tasted it and thought it was actualy quite nice.

The place itself was very well positioned in the town. It is near the middle, where alot of shops are, so after eating you can take a quick look in some of the shops. When we had finished our food, the bill came. The waiter happily gave it to us with a additional plate of turkish delights. I thought this was a great idea to give the treat to anybody who had been kind and spent their time to admire the restaurant. The turkish delights were delicious, and I couldn't help but scoop some of the sugar for the turkish delights up with my fingers!

Favorite Dish: My favourite was the spaghetti as it a brilliant, healthy sauce which made the spaghetti top notch. The sauce was nice and creamy, and the spaghetti was very well presented, and tasted exquisite.

• The Ivy Terrace: Sadly overrated by others

by chrisnsue Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ivy Terrace

As many other members have commented, this is an ideally positioned terrace restaurant in Kalkan, from which you can see the bay and harbour (trees permitting). The ambiance is all there, the subdued but adequate lighting, the sultans corner etc - no music as there was serious audio competition from adjacent terrace restaurants. The staff are very welcoming and friendly with all customers, particularly the ladies!
    What was disappointing, especially having read many good reviews on this site, was the food. It was decidedly average. Nothing wrong with it that you could complain about but nothing to praise. Having eaten in many other Kalkan restaurants, we both felt that it was the poorest meal of our visit and the most expensive. The Sultans Pitcher is a speciality dish on their menu, priced accordingly, but tasted totally bland. Incidentally, watch out for pieces of the broken pitcher that may fall into the food, but that goes with the territory!

Favorite Dish: None

• helik's Profile Photo

The Ivy: fantastic pitcure kebab and steaks

by helik Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Ivy is a fabulous restaurant. I have been there many times over the 2 years they have been opened. The atmosphere, food, hospitality, are wonderful and you really feel as though you are treating yourself whenever you visit. As well as a regular restaurant they also have great entertainment nights one of the owner plays saz. It is well worth getting yourself on their mailing list to find out what is on. There is a fabulous Sultan\'s corner where you can have a pre dinner drink, it is so romantic and spell binding.

Favorite Dish: Ottoman page fab!

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Yakapark: Yakapark

by sandysmith Updated Apr 4, 2011

fresh fish

Close to Tlos is this trout farm and restaurant. Not only is the fish fresh and delicious the setting with waterways and fountains is cool and refreshing in the summer heat. There is even a bar with trout swimming in it!

• Tdiver's Profile Photo

Pub The Swan.: Yoda this wrote.

by Tdiver Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Pub The Swan, Kalkan.

Doesn't look much from outside but very nice inside. Really friendly with a nice atmosphere.
    Free pool table and a swimming pool out back.
    ALL DAY English breakfast for those missing home.
    Been open for about 10 years now.
    Apartments upstairs for rent.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Doy Doy: Terrible service

by dpinner Written Jan 9, 2011

We can't understand all of the good reviews for Doy Doy, we found it very expensive and the service was terrible. Their whole purpose is to get you back again so yes, they are friendly and attentive if you dont tell them that it is your last night and this is where our mistake was. We saved Doy Doy until the last night but once they found out it was our last night, the service was slow and the waiters were even rude to us. The final straw for us came when we ordered our dessert and it took 50 minutes for it to arrive but after 45 minutes our patience ran out and we asked for our bill. This was met with hostility from the head waiter who initially just walked away from us trying to ignore our request. When we insisted they provided the bill just as the desserts arrived but then the head waiter took the food back into the kitchen and we could hear him throw the tray against the wall. Absolutely terrible service, won't be setting foot anywhere near this place again.

• My Fish House: Fantastic cheap seafood

by bethepa2 Written Nov 2, 2010

This small fish restaurant is easy to miss. We found it by chance and liked it so much we visited 3 times during our holiday. It is situated on the Kalamar road, on the right hand side about 400m along from the main road, opposite the Moonlight Terrace & Pension. The manager Evrim is really friendly and the quality of food is excellent - and unbelievably cheap (e.g. 12TL for sea bream). We found the restaurants near the harbour so expensive that we could not afford them other than once or twice, so we preferred to eat 'up hill' where everything is so much cheaper. But this restaurant was cheap even by 'up hill' standards. The menu was not huge and the food was simply presented but very well cooked. If you want a good value, good quality fish meal then this is the place for you.

Favorite Dish: Between me & my friend we tried the sea bream, the sea bass, the fish & chips (small but only 9TL - can you believe it !), the shrimp casserole and the garlic king prawns (the most expensive dish on the menu at 20TL). All were excellent.

• The Olive Garden: Don’t expect your reservation to be honoured..

by Siobhanoregan Updated Sep 29, 2010

We booked the restaurant 5 days in advance for our wedding anniversary dinner. We specifically requested a table by the side with a view of the sea. We were number 2 on the booking list. We arrived and the restaurant was nearly empty and we were shown to an inner table. We explained the mistake and we were responded to rudely and without an explanation as to why our reservation had been usurped by people who had not even arrived by that time. The waiters refused to discuss. We left upset and disappointed. I suggest you do not make the same mistake.

Favorite Dish: Unable to comment!

• Luxury Travel

• Cafe Del Mar: Great coffee

by gmp1 Written Jul 27, 2010

We had coffee here several times during our stay and it was great. The coffee shop itself is quite interesting as the chairs are old and squashy and full of character and there were lots of old knick-knacks on display, and also magazines to read and free internet access.

The coffee itself was excellent, and we had cake as well one day. I had carrot cake and my husband had apple pie. Both were very good. Another time we stopped for lunch and had delicious home made lemonade and borek with salad. The borek was prawns and mushrooms (and other things) wrapped in filo type pastry.

It was just a great place to enjoy a really good cup of coffee and watch the world go by.

• Korsan fish terrace: Creative cooking

by gmp1 Written Jul 27, 2010

We ate here twice. They do mostly fish, but also a few meat dishes. We had fish both times and it was very creative and beautifully presented.

The view from the roof terrace was beautiful.

I wouldn't say we got a warm welcome from the staff but the service was very attentive until after the main course, when they seemed to lose interest in us. I would still recommend it just for the quality of the fish.

• Aubergine: One of the best

by gmp1 Written Jul 27, 2010

We ate here a couple of times and came back on our last night. The service is friendly and the food is excellent. We booked a table on the side of the restaurant nearest the sea and it was fun
    watching all the comings and goings.

We had booked a table one night but couldn't come because I was unwell. As we were staying very close to the old town my husband walked down and explained why we wouldn't be there, and re-booked for the following night. When we turned up the next day I was asked if I
    was feeling better even though they must have had dozens of people in there. It really is a mark of the attentive service that you get at this restaurant.

We also had morning coffee there a few times and just watched the world go by, and they were always kind enough to put the fan on for us because it was so hot.

Favorite Dish: Ottaman leg of lamb - very tender.

• Ilyada: Fantastic service

by gmp1 Written Jul 27, 2010

We ate here three times during our fortnight in Kalkan. The service was second to none
    and the food was excellent - my husband loved the Ottaman lamb casserole.

The location was lovely too, right by the harbour, although obviously you get a more panoramic view from the restaurants further back which have roof terraces.

After your starter the head waiter brings a mini vacuum cleaner over to hoover up the crumbs
    you have dropped - it made me really try not to make a mess!

Favorite Dish: Ottaman lamb casserole.

• Doy Doy: Friendly service

by gmp1 Written Jul 27, 2010

We ate here when we came to Kalkan a few years ago so thought we would go there again this time. The first time the food was excellent and the service very warm and friendly. The second time was not quite as good and the waiters seemed a little distracted (possibly by a table full of nubile lovelies nearby!) Nevertheless, I would still recommend it. Whenever we walked by someone said hello and even offered free coffee or other drinks. Also, after your meal they give you a little bracelet, which was quite sweet. I wouldn't wear it but a little girl would love it.

Favorite Dish: I had the aubergine stuffed with lamb - delicious.

• Gironda: Beware

by trottyfeet Written Apr 10, 2010

Take care on a visit to the Gironda - especially late season! We all (4) shared a mezze dish, which was suspect, as we all had the 'runs' in various degrees later that night, + my son had the meal in a pitcher which they break at the table. This tasted rank, as though the spices used were too old. He bravely ate most of it, but did not enjoy, and was up all night. This reaction was not due to our English palate as we like spicy foods and thought we were in for a special treat. The restaurant, bar and surroundings are quite swish and we looked forward to this as the 'highlight' of our holiday, but the food anyway was disappointing, especially considering the prices - you are paying for the amenities, not the food - and service average and I would definitely not go again or recommend. We had much better everything at 'Rendevouz' and 'Doydoys' - and much cheaper!

Instant Answers: Kalkan

Comments

Kalkan Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kalkan restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kalkan sightseeing.