Kusadasi Shopping

by irishjon25

Most Recent Shopping in Kusadasi

• Jewellery: Ripp-off when purchasing jewellery in Turkey

by duspite Written Jan 14, 2014

Ripp-off when purchasing jewellery in Turkey
    Dear Sir /Madam
    Many tourists are tempted into purchasing hand-made jewelers when visiting Turkish gold manufactures. However, purchasing gold jewelers in Turkey often turns out to be overpriced, and the holiday-makers wish to withdraw from the purchase.

Hand-made Gold jewelery has always been a popular souvenir among people travelling to Turkey. However, traditional crafts have now moved to new paths. In close cooperation with the tour operators, a lucrative mass business has developed. This is because tour operators often lure tourists to Turkey with very attractive package holidays, which then include excursions to Turkish goldsmiths or jewelers. In such cases, tourists are deliberately led to sales events for hand-made gold jewelry and induced with fraudulent intentions to purchase overpriced souvenirs.

Devious sales tactics in Turkish gold manufactures
    The process of such sales events is always the same: First of all, the holidaymakers are shown how the hand-made jewelery is produced. They can watch the goldsmiths and artisans at work, and can convince themselves of the apparently high quality of the wristbands, necklaces, rings or watches. However, after visiting the workshops and manufactures, aggressive sales tactics are used to coax them into purchasing overpriced jeweler. Due to the persistent hard-sell methods, the tourists quickly feel forced to buy. Purchases of jeweler with values of tens of thousands of Euro are not uncommon.

How to withdraw from the purchase of overpriced jeweler in Turkey
    After returning home, the souvenir from Turkey frequently turns out to be a fraud, as the jeweler was sold at an extortionate price. Tourists feel cheated and want to withdraw from the purchase or at least get a price reduction. However, from their homeland, it is difficult for cheated tourists to enforce their claims against Turkish merchants. They are not familiar with their consumer protection rights and are at a loss with regard to what to do with the expensive jeweler from Turkey.

Legal consultancy after the purchase of jeweler in Turkey
    I m a HRD (Diamond High Council ) Graduated Diamond Grader and have high knowledge defining characteristics of the purchased jewels , and therefore I m the perfect contact to advise you of your consumer protection rights as a tourist in Turkey. I have a high success rate when it comes to enforcing price reductions and rescissions of overpriced jewelery purchases in Turkey.

Sincerely Yours

What to buy: If you buy Gold jewellery (without Diamond )pay no more than 60 € per gram .....Maximum 60 € per gram !!!!!

What to pay: 60€ per gram (this is maximum )

• PeterS174's Profile Photo

Benny's Shop: Benny's Shop / Benny's Leather - TOTAL SCAM!!

by PeterS174 Written Sep 14, 2013

The shop sells leather clothes both mens and womens. There's nothing special about it, it's a complete scam. They will intentionally mislead you and steal from you. They are organised criminals. The police have been alerted but have so far done nothing (probably bribed I'd guess). DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THEM OR ANY BIG TICKET ITEMS FROM TURKEY IN GENERAL. YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF. We are seasoned travelers who have been all over the world in all kinds of situations and we are very hard to trick so if if can happen to us it can happen to anyone. Remember Benny's Shop also called Benny's Leather - TOTAL SCAM ARTISTS. Their contact details do not work also.

What to buy: NOTHING!! PLEASE BUY NOTHING THEIR PRODUCTS ARE DEFECTIVE AND TERRIBLE AND THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF HORRIBLY.

What to pay: Nothing!

• Ephesus Jewelry & Watches Kuyumculuk Aydin: Jewelry in Ephesus

by Princessdryer Written Jun 21, 2013

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING in this store. I paid $10,000 US for an emerald ring, - which they vowed was a Natural emerald - not a lab grown emerald. When I got home and took it to be appraised - the top "layer" was a lab grown thermal whatever emerald - and sandwiched with quartz....... Total RIP-OFF.

I have tried to reach them - no web site - the phone number my credit card has for them is incorrect... No way to reach them. It is in dispute with my credit card.... but -

NEVER AGAIN. I got ripped off here as well as Dimos Jewelry in Athens, Greece.

Have food and wine - and buy trinkets/souveniers from street vendors or little shops.

What to pay: WAY too much - rip-off.

• Butic Summer: Veiled Hats for Girls

by tdest Written Jun 11, 2013

I was looking for some unique souvenirs for my young daughters on our first trip to Kusadasi (Turkey) so I decided to buy some genie caps with veils. Various vendors sold them however I found the best ones at this ladies' clothing store. They were well-made, in many different colours and located in a large clean store called Butic Summer. The owner, a seamstress named Sidika Kozu, was very pleasant (no hard sell like most of the other vendors in town). Address is Dag Mah, Simsek Sok No. 15/A, Kusadasi, Turkey. p.s. My girls loved them!

• craigtrigueiro's Profile Photo

Ephesus Jewellery and Watches: Jewellery

by craigtrigueiro Updated Jan 6, 2013

Ephesus Jewellery and Watches
    Located in duty free zone for cruise ships. Scala Nouva Shopping Centre Blok B/no. 25.
    Telephone 90 256 614 52 63
    On November 13, 2012 I bought a 2.5 ctwt blue saphire ring for $1700 US. One month later the stone fell out and was lost. It appeared to have been GLUED in!
    I have contacted them by phone. Mehmet said they woud send a stone, but "it would take a while because it is winter." Now www.ephesusjewellery.com is not on the internet as it was December 2012.
    After reading others' experiences I am not overly optomistic, but am waiting before notifying Oceania and the travel agency, Go Next.
    DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE OR ANY OTHER OF THEIR "FAMILY STORES" in Ephesus.

What to buy: A nice meal at a locals' restaurant. $30 dollars for two including Turkish beer.

• YASEMIN UNER, AYDIN: TURKEY

by gotmetoo Written Sep 20, 2012

BUYER BEWARE! MY HUSBAND AND I STOPPED IN TURKEY WHILE ON A MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE TO CELEBRATE OUR 50th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY. WE DECIDED TO BUY SOME JEWELLERY AND, WITHOUT GOING INTO DETAIL, WE GOT TAKEN. WITHIN A COUPLE OF MONTHS OF GETTING HOME, MY RING STARTED TO DISCOLOR AND, FROM OTHER COMPLAINTS I HAVE READ ABOUT, THERE IS NO POINT IN EVEN TRYING TO RETURN IT SINCE THE STORE WILL NOT COOPERATE. MY ADVICE IS TO NOT BUY JEWELLERY WHILE TRAVELING UNLESS YOU'RE A GEMOLOGIST.

What to buy: DO NOT BUY JEWLLERY!

• Kusadasi Ephesus Jewellery: Jewellery in Kusadasi Turkey

by whyalla Written Sep 17, 2012

Jewellery Store

What to buy: I bought a 18ct ring in Kusadasi Ephesus Jewellery shop in October 2011 when our cruise ship visited the port for 700euros. Not long after the stones discoloured and I referred to the Certificate of Guarantee that was issued offering a 2 year warranty. The email address and website that were printed are not valid addresses and I have been unable to contact them. The guarantee is not worth the paper that it is written on.

• DIAMOND KUYUMCU-YASEMIN UNER/diamond rain: beware of kusadasi jewelry store

by diamondrain Written Jan 29, 2012

September , 2011 when our cruise ship stopped in the port of Kusadasi, Turkey I wanted to purchase a men’s 14ct gold bracelet. My wife and I decided to go from jewelry store to store in order to see what men’s bracelets were available and to compare prices.

As we went from store, one bracelet followed me because they knew I liked it so much. I asked how can you sell me a bracelet from another store? Mehmet Ozipek & Taskin told me that all the stores were like family. It was as if we were buying his Uncle’s bracelet from him. I purchased the bracelet in the Kuyumcu-Yasemi Uner store from Mehmet Ozipek & Taskin
    The Merchant then brought out a 2.1ct diamond ring, which I purchased. Taskin also gave me Diamond Rain International Guarantee Certificate and if you had any problems with the Merchant you could go to the Kusadasi Chamber of Commerce (KUTO). The guaranty didn’t mean a thing and was useless. The Kusadasi Chamber of Commerce was no help.

When I returned home to the United States, I brought the ring to a jeweler to have it sized to fit my wife’s finger. The jeweler tested the ring on a diamond tester and told me it was not a diamond; but a Moissanite stone.

When I complained to the Merchant about the diamond not being genuine, he finally told me he would come to Chicago and exchange the stone. But, he never came. Mehmet Ozipek asked for GIA certification, which he should have had and given to me when I purchased the ring. The certification would cost me $500 because I would have to pay to ship and insure it because it is 900 miles away. Why did he insist that I provide him with a GIA certification when he didn’t provide one to me when I asked for it? Double standards!
    I mailed Mehmet Ozipek and the Kusadasi Chamber of Commerce Burhan SEZER a letter from a local jeweler stating that the stones were Moissanite because he tested the stones with diamond and Moissanite approved testers. I also brought the ring to other jewelers who tested the stones with their diamond and Moissanite testers and found the stones to be Moissanite and not genuine diamonds. It would cost me $200 to ship and insure the ring to return it to the merchant, Kuyumcu-Yasemi Uner, in Kusadasi Turkey. And, Mehmet Ozipek told me he would not pay the $2,000 for duty and taxes when he received the ring, which is the requirement of the company delivering the ring.

Also, in an e-mail the merchant told me if I returned the ring to him it would be stolen. So, I would be out $500 to get the GIA certification, $200 to ship and return the ring to Kusadasi, Turkey, and $2,000 for duty and taxes = $2,700, plus the $6,100 I paid for the ring.

Asking for all these requirements was Mehmet Ozipek’s and the Kusadasi Chamber of Commerce’s way of making it a very costly risk to return the ring – and not worth it.

Also, do not trust MasterCard or VISA because they are no help with purchases which are done out of your country. They are concerned more about the merchant than the consumer.

DIAMOND KUYUMCU-YASEMIN UNER
    DAG MAH. SIMSEK SOK. NO: 5
    09400 KUSADASI/TURKEY
    AYDIN
    TEL: +90 256 614 70 80
    MERCHANT NO: 0907439 Mehmet Ozipek ;
    TERMINAL NO: 00966328 DÝAMOND RAÝN

What to buy: all one big family

• Saagar's Profile Photo

several: Massive shopping

by Saagar Written Oct 12, 2010

Not only men's clothes, but everything can be had in Kusadasi. I bought brand name shirst that were probably fakes given the low price - but the quality was fine!
    You find a throng of shops and shoppers inside the maze of downtown Kusadasi, a block or two from the main harbour promenade and highway.

What to buy: anything, I bought men's clothing.

What to pay: Haggle, hagle, get the cost down to a third of the original offer.

• Business Travel

• ringleader's Profile Photo

Currency for shopping in Kusadasi (Ephesus)

by ringleader Written Apr 13, 2009

We asked our Ekol tour operator what currency we should have while shopping during our day in Kusadasi. They replied, "All souvenir shops will take cash USD, Euro, visa, mastercard." The currency is the Lira, but it looks like we won't need to exchange money becuase we're paying for our tour on the credit card, and the tour guide pays for all admissions. Now that our finances for shopping are taken care of, we're set to go!

:-)

• tuff's Profile Photo

The Bazaar

by tuff Written Apr 22, 2008

The Bazaar in Kusadasi was fill with shops, but everybody pretty much sells the same thing. The stores have people standing in the middle of the pedestrian street and try to engage a conversation with you then bring you into their store, this happened in every single store, on both side of the street, and it made me feel very uncomfortable and I think it has an opposite effect because I refused to go inside these stores. If you do decide to buy anything, bargain is a must!

ALL OVER KUSADASI: IM GIVING YOU THE EYE

by whitecliff62 Updated Jan 7, 2006

What to buy: This is one of thousands of gifts you can buy at Kusadasi, and it represents the famous Turkish eyes. These are glass beads which are ment to keep you safe at all times. You will find these sort of gifts all over Turkey in different shapes and forms and make great gifts to take home with you

TURKISH EYES

PERLMUTT LEATHER: HELLO DARLING,

by whitecliff62 Updated Jan 7, 2006

If you are after anything leather then this shop has it all. The owner is a bit of a dummy though hahahaha.

What to buy: I bought a leather jacket and the price started at £150 and i walked out with the jacket costing £60 so i think that was a bargain.

What to pay: Depends on what you buy, but a leather jacket will start from around £30 pounds.

GIVE ME A KISS

YOU CAN BUY THESE ANYWHERE.: I CAN SEE YOU

by whitecliff62 Updated Jan 7, 2006

Available anywhare in Turkey.

What to buy: These eyes are a long-standing tradition in Turkey, the idea is that when warn it protects against all evil the local name for these eyes are !BONCUK! and you can buy them in all shapes and sizes and they make beautifull gifts.

EYE EYE EYE EYE.

KUSADASI MARKET

by whitecliff62 Updated Jan 7, 2006

Turkey is famous for its spices and this stall in the market sells them all as well as a huge variety of rice and pasta, and its all cheap, cheap, cheap, god i sound like a bird now hahahaha.

THE SPICE OF LIFE

Instant Answers: Kusadasi

• Mar 11, 2014 at 6:06 AM

I purchased a watch at Kusadasi Watches, the site is right now hijacked by the US district court in FL.
    Kasadasi Watches promised 1000times that any problems with the watch felt under warranty.
    A screw fell out the outer part of the watch, the promised several times to send me a new screw. They never did. Do not buy products from Kusadasi Watches !!

• Feb 23, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I purchased a watch from Watch Doctor in
    Kadushai last year.

I was given a warranty which entitled me to return the watch within 30 days if it was not functioning.

I emailed them as well as stopped the charge (reversed) - I sent the watch back and kept shipping receipts.

Watch Dr. Had the gall to lie to my CC Company (after emailing me that they received the return) that it was never returned.

The CC company is still perusing but the shop closed end November and will not reopen until march- April.

Do not purchase from WATCH DOCTOR - poor quality- horrible customer service - will not honor waranty.

• craigtrigueiro's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Write your comment...

Kusadasi Shopping

Reviews and photos of Kusadasi shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kusadasi sightseeing.