Kusadasi Tourist Traps

Views on the way to Ephesus
    by balhannah
    Beach full of seaweed (next morning)
    by Kuznetsov_Sergey
    Beach full of seaweed
    by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Kusadasi

• Kushadasi Carpet - it can be ok

by davidp627 Written Jul 21, 2011

Visited off a cruise ship (although the shop didn't know this). The Kushadasi carpet shop was recommended? to us by a another shop where we bought a leather jacket. Went to look with no intention of buying a carpet. The presentation was very slick and they have this off pat. Prices as you woud expect start high and as a rule are seem to start at half the start price compared with Instanbul for something similar. We liked a pure silk approx 7 x 9 feet and then the negotiating started. We eventually paid just under one third of the start price. My wife signed the back of the carpet, took a photo and left after providing the delivery address. We received an email to provide a tracking number (DHL) 3 days later. The Carpet was despatched on a Thursday afternoon and delivered to our address in Australia the following Monday morning. The carpet that arrived was exactly as purchased. No dramas, no problems and everything we expected. the mail address of the company is info@kusadasicarpet.com and the person who sent it was Ersel ozturk. Orient Bazaar Yalý Caddesi No:7/D 09400 Kuþadasý Aydýn-Türkiye
    Tel: (+90 256) 614 30 70 Fax: (+90 256) 612 64 53

Unique Suggestions: Be honest with the sales staff. Always pay via credit card - not cash as there is no comeback if you do have a problem. Make sure you get a certificate of authentication for your purchase. Don't make a counter offer when negotiationg unless you are orepared to honour it if accepted. As a rule pay about 30-35 percent of the start price and make sure you stay in one currency from start to finish whilst negotiating. Make sure you pay in the currency you mnegotiate in otherwise you could get coonfused with the exchange rate if the agreed price is converted to another currency.

Fun Alternatives: Do make sure that you purchase from a shop that only sells the type of product you are seeking i.e. don't buy a carpet from as shop that sells souviners.

• Cruise

• Kusadasi Carpet Scam, Ersel Ozturk, Mehmet Yokus

by Illinoistourist Updated Feb 23, 2010
    Salesman in  Mehmet Yokus' Carpet Scam

We purchased a carpet from The Orient Bazar No: 7/D and also 10. They have at least one other store selling souvenirs, as well. We paid $3500 for a large, beautiful wool on cotton carpet to be shipped to our home. We did not buy from a store approved by our cruiseline, Celebrity, since we could not find the exact type of carpet we wanted in those shops. We took a photo of the carpet as we were purchasing it, which includes my husband and also the salesman. A carpet arrived at our home quickly by UPS from a shipper in New York. It arrived much sooner than the carpets our friends has shipped from the legit shops. It is not the same carpet--much, much cheaper version. We sent the company photos of the carpet and photos from their store of the one we purchased--obviously not even close to the same. They agreed to credit us and said to tell our credit card company to contact theirs. However, they then stopped answering our phone or e-mails and their credit card company will not refund us the money. Beware before purchasing from any shop that is not approved by a cruiseline. We spoke by phone with Orhan Diskaya, who said he was an owner He claimed that they were so sorry that they mistakenly sent our carpet to the wrong purchaser in Argentina. He said there would be no trouble refunding our money and then he'd tell us where to send this carpet....right. We nowcan get no reply from them by phone or email.

Unique Suggestions: If you shop for a carpet in the Orient Bazar in Kusadasi, shop only in stores approved by the cruiselines. Even if you aren't on a cruise, just tell them that you are. They have to be honest or risk losing lucrative business from cruiselines. Don't be intimidated by the crowds-- they are in those shops for a reason. They are just as willing to bargain on price. All shops originally wanted around $9,000 for a carpet that they will eventually be willing sell for $3500 if you are willing to walk away. Even if approved stores are a bit more expensive, it does not pay to become part of a scam by dishonest dealers. Do not buy anything from Galeri 44 Ethnic Art also known as Kusadasi Carpet. The credit card company calls the company Ersel Ozturk, which was not on any of our sales reciepts. They were located in No: 7/D and 10, and may be associated with other shops as well. The names of salesmen were Ersel, Orhan Diskaya, and Mehmet Yokus. Mehmet Yokus originally spoke with us by phone and offered to resolve it, but now won't reply. Check out the photo of my husband with the salesman in their shop. If you stop by Kusadasi, please stop in and tell them that the Geitners would like them to reply to us about how to get our money back from their carpet scam.

Fun Alternatives: Our credit card company originally would not approve the purchase, since they said they have been having alot of trouble with purchases in Turkey. After several telephone calls, however, they did approve it. I only wish they hadn't. My husband in the photo is on the phone with the credit card company at the time of our purchase. If I hadn't taken the photo, I wouldn't have been able to prove it was the wrong carpet at all. Some of our friends signed the back of their carpets, but that can be imitated too, it seems to me. The salesmen will tell you that the "approved" shops are more expensive and ruining their chances at business. Don't listen to them. We learned a very expensive lesson in Turkey. If you do buy from an unapproved shop, ship the carpet home yourself, do not leave it with them. Still be aware that unless you are an expert, they may be selling you a carpet that is not what they say it is. We told them what we were looking for right away, but they didn't show us the nice carpet until first showing us many other cheaper ones. They probably had no intention of selling us this beautiful carpet for that price.

• Cruise
    • Luxury Travel

• balhannah's Profile Photo

TAXI TO EPHESUS

by balhannah Written Jul 15, 2009

Views on the way to Ephesus

When I was at Kusadasi about to walk the causeway to Pigeon Island, I happened to notice a Taxi stand with prices to Ephesus. The driver saw me looking and asked if I wanted to go.
    The price 60 EUROS! for an 18k (36k) round trip. You would have to be joking! but I guess Cruise ship passengers fall for this astronomical price as they don't know the cheaper alternative.
    Catch the Turkish Dolmus!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Beach full of seaweed

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Dec 30, 2008

Beach full of seaweed (next morning)

When I finished my accommodation in the hotel I was going to swim in the sea though it was rather late and dark on the beach. But my desire was strong enough and I went out the hotel on the uninhabited beach. It was early May and the temperature was rather low for swimming: 18C air and 16C water. Nevertheless I was eager to start my 2008 swimming season, as early as I never started before, haha!

Unfortunately when I reached the sea I saw a dirty beach full of seaweed. I even couldn’t find a place where I could go to the water… May be it was a storm the day before? Or may be it was a good reason do not go into a cold water, haha?!!
    So I postponed the start of my swimming season until Ayvalik where I enjoyed swimming and sunbathing next day.

• crazyman2's Profile Photo

rugs -----beware!

by crazyman2 Written Feb 26, 2007

We were travelling with Princess Cruises and having finished our visit to Ephesus we decided to shop in Kusadasi. Princess provide a list of recommended outlets and so we, as well as many other passengers, went to a rugand kilim manufacturer, 'Hali'.
    This is within the caravanserail near the harbour. They gave us tea and showed us many examples of their wares whilst informing us about quality and so on.
    We stayed. We were seriously interested in buying a rug for our hallway. Eventually, we found one and haggled. After payment we found our guide waiting for us. Were we happy with our deal? Yes! Kind of him to check.
    Now, here's the trap: a year later I took the rug to an expert here in England ---I wanted a valuation for insurance purposes. He informed me that I had bought a rug which had probably been made in Pakistan and had poosibly been finished off in England before being sent to Turkey for the tourist market! This expert, who had been an adviser for rugs, carpets and kilims to the UK government, also told me that I had paid the same as I would have done from shops in the UK.
    Beware! I like the rug ---but it isn't really what I thought I had bought.

• andreslo2000's Profile Photo

Watch out or you will buy just everything

by andreslo2000 Written Aug 20, 2006

Bazaar

Dont let the Turks to persuade you to enter their shop unless you are REALLY decided to buy something. For if you once enter the shop, the shop-owner woun let you out unless you buy a thing. An be sure that the price you will pay is MUCH higher than an item is worth of.
    So... just pass all those shops and overhear all those invitations.

Unique Suggestions: If you are traped the best way to get out of the shop to buy something, but at least offer the shop - owner 10 times less money than he asked. Be sure.. he want be cheated although he would weep and cry.

Fun Alternatives: Stair just in front of you and pretend you not see anything around yourself.

• buraque's Profile Photo

New Turkish Lira

by buraque Written Mar 14, 2006

Since 01/01/2006 the the new turkish lira (YTL) is being used and the old turkish lira is no longer valid. So while you are shopping, keep that in mind. 6 zeros (000000) were deleted from the new notes. so 1.000.000 TL is now 1 YTL. (5.000.000 TL - 5 YTL / 10.000.000 - 10 YTL, etc...) So while you are shopping, when you get the change, make sure that none of notes have more than 2 zeros. the notes in use now are :
    1 YTL
    5 YTL
    10 YTL
    20 YTL
    50 YTL
    100 YTL

as of 15.04.2006 1 euro is 1.60656 YTL and 1 US$ is 1.33720 YTL

Unique Suggestions: In case somehow you were given an amount of old turkish liras, you can change them from several banks to new turkish lira.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo

PIGION ISLAND

by whitecliff62 Updated Jan 7, 2006

PIGION ISLAND

This photo was taken quite a few years ago and shows a little island called pigion island, the main harbour is just around the corner from here. Its amazing to see how barron and empty Kausadasi used to be even as little as 15 years ago, but now it has grown in to one of turkeys leading holiday resorts. Anyway back to my tourist trap, there are a few restaurants on pigion island but thats about it, so i wouldent bother going there, and i have no idea why they call it pigion island coz there wasn't a pigion in sight when i went, so stay on your sun bed and keep working on your tan.

• Beaches

• Monique_T's Profile Photo

Kijke, kijke, niet kopen!

by Monique_T Written Jun 20, 2003

The above is Dutch for: just looking, not buying. That is what all the Turkish people say when Dutch people only look at the stuff they have to sale. They don't even know if we are going to buy or not, they just say it all the time. Try to impress us with their poor Dutch? Or just being sarcastic? Or just want to get in touch with us? I don't know! But I do know at the end we always hated it when people said it right away. That made us hesitate for stopping for a shop and have a look. Do they say it to people from other countries to?

Instant Answers: Kusadasi

Comments

Kusadasi Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Kusadasi tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kusadasi sightseeing.