Ayvalik Things to Do

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Sarimsakli Plaji (Beach)

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Mar 7, 2009

Sarimsakli Plaji

Ayvalik also has two of the longest sandy beaches of Turkey which extend as far as the Dikili district of Izmir nearly 30 km in the south. These are the Sarimsakli and Altinova beaches. Sarimsakli is a white sandy beach resort ideal for beach lovers.

As our hotel was located in Sarimsakli I learnt this area better than central districts of Ayvalik.
    Amazingly but the word ‘beach’ sounds the same in Turkish ‘Plaji’ and in Russian ‘Plaji’, haha! What could it mean?

You can watch my 3 min 33 sec HD Video Sarimsakli Walking around out of my Youtube channel with Turkish pop music by Emrah – Ayrilda Gel.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Greek Orthodox churches

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Mar 7, 2009

Ayvalik church

Until 1922 Ayvalik had a large Greek population.
    Many of the town's mosques are Greek Orthodox churches that have been converted (12 churches).
    I’ve learnt the names some of them: Agios Georgis Church, Saatli Camii or Agios Yannis Church, Taksiyarhis Church and Faneromeni or Ayazma Church.

Silica Gem

by ozalp Updated Jan 4, 2008

First hall

I visit this place whenever I go to Cunda. It shares a wall with the house I dream to own. And also it is next to the primary school.
    You can visit Silica Gem both as a museum and a jewelry shop. I remember that its owner was a geologist or something. They collect different kinds of rocks, fossils and minerals and design some souvenirs, necklaces, bracelets, etc. There is a big amethyst inlayed to the floor, in front of its entrance.
    You can find the rocks of your zodiac sign (if you believe these) or you can have a unique jewelry. They produce only a single copy of every design. And they only produce a replica if the owner of the original wants so. This is what I read in their web site.
    I must admit that their prices are very high and I couldn’t buy anything from this shop. But I love to see their designs and their rock and fossil collection.
    Don’t expect a big place. They have only 2 rooms and an atelier. Silica Gem is a modest museum.

Scuba

by ozalp Updated Aug 14, 2007

I searched the diving opportunities of Ayvalik just for my brother because I don't dive. There are many diving locations around islands. You can see them in the web page of Korfez Diving. They have the links but unfortunately, their pages in English don't exist. So, I'll inform you a little bit about the links:
    You can use "Dalis Noktalari" for seeing the diving locations on the map, "Teknemiz" to see their boat, "Arsiv" for photo archive, "Rezervasyon" for reservation.

They can arrange accommodation for you, if you want.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Sailing and Boating

• FAIRYCHIMNEY's Profile Photo

not to far : IDA MOUNTAINS

by FAIRYCHIMNEY Written Apr 11, 2007

Even though there are many beatiful hotels and guest houses located in Ida Mountain, i always chose the closest one to trekking routes : so Idaköy Guest House .

Recommended season : july –august
    If you like rain and fanct to get lost : January-climate is still very mild but rains almost all the time

DAY 1 : Karatas–Sarikiz Route 27 kilometres in total) hardest route in IDA MOUNTAINS. If you just skip the main route and take step short cuts , it takes 20 kilometres in total. Beter to organize it with 1 nt accomodation by the campfire or with good guide and equipments it take 6 hours to make the summit and 5 hours to come back.

DAY 2 : Tahtakuslar Village – Local Museum- Church ruins- old marble mines- up to Ýsmailoðlu waterfalls
    • Walking along the step path takes around about 90 minutes to arrival at the entrance of the forest (here the wallmarks starts)
    • Walking down the forest untill we spot the Kuruçay streem(It takes approx. 30 minutes from main forest path down to waterfalls.)

Cunda Island - Walk from Ayvalik center to Cunda

by June.b Updated Mar 20, 2007

Along the way to Cunda

We took a bus from Sarimsakli to Ayvalik Central, buses comes every 15 to 30 minutes.

Got down at Ayvalik central and walk our way to the clean coastline of Ayvalik which is in the center itself. I was with two of my local friends, and I thought we are juz going to walk around the area, so we continue strolling the boardwalk until there is this clear view of the two small greek island on the horizon, entering a village with this big hotel on the let side.

We continued walking for more than 2 kilometers and I happen to start sweating, it's winter but the sun is glaringly warm, so I asked my friends where we are heading, they said Cunda. So how far is Cunda? About 4 kilometers more..... the bus is available and we were walking?

Can't complain, the view along the way is really nice, ocean here and there, nice, neat and new houses, green olive trees, the view at the bridge on both sides are really postcard perfect.

And yes...we were the only people walking along the way.... couple of cars stopped asking us the way to Cunda Island...

Saint Nicholas Church

by June.b Updated Mar 19, 2007

Very near the Cunda Bay, we walked along the narrow streets of Cunda and end up in this old abandoned church called St. Nicholas Church, that's what the children that resides inside the compound of this church say. I could only understand the word Nicolai, so I presumed it's St. Nicholas Church...and I was not wrong.

The St. Nicholas Church in Cunda is an imposing building that you could easily see from afar kilometers away before reaching Cunda bay. I thought at first that it is still functioning, or a mass is still being held in this church, but when we get there I could only see a building structure and peep inside it through the window of steel bars.

There are kids playing at the side of the church and some residential houses inside the compound.

I can't find much information on the church history but it used to be an greek Orthodox church, the painting of saints' figures on the front walls are still very visible and the cross carving. The ceilings may have been grandiose. Nothing much is left in the church except for building itself.

It's a pity because it's a wonderful piece of architecture, I juz wish they could have preserved the inside and maybe the furnishings way back it's time - a nice piece of attraction in the area.... but may soon be just an olrdinary ruin similar to what you will see in Ephesus.

Cunda Island - The Fascinating Streets & Alleyways

Alleyways at Cunda

The greek old houses that lined up the streets and alleyways of Cunda Island looks so very historical.

This place used to be inhabited by Greeks until the 1923 population exchange between Greece and Turkey, when the Turks from Crete returned to Cunda and the Greeks of Cunda returned to Greece.

So the streets of Cunda including the houses are very much influenced by greeks.

Cunda Island - The Old Greek Houses

by June.b Updated Mar 19, 2007

Cunda is not only about bay and bayside, there are a lot of things and history that you could check out if you walk around the area.

For one thing, the old houses dating back to the time the greeks populates the whole area.

Small houses, interesting architechture and fascinating streets and alleyways.

Cunda Island - The Bayside

Cunda Bay

As I was saying in my previous tip... I was mad at my local friends for not telling me that we are about to walk 5 to 6 kilometers from the centre of Ayvalik to Cunda Island. I thought we were just strolling along the boardwalk, I only found out when we were already halfway.... and yes...there is a bus.

Well, they wanted me to practice my photo-shooting expertise (?)....as I was taking photos every now and then. It was worth it, though I got a little tired, because there are lots of good views around the area that you may not be able to see if you'll take a ride.

Cunda Island is very nice, with it's boardwalk restaurants and a nice view of the bay and watch fishermen doing their thing in the morning.

Most tourists are locals and maybe some Greeks from the nearby greek island.

CUNDA is a part of the Ayvalik Island group and the biggest of them all.

Going back to Ayvalik centre from Cunda - we hitched a ride, well, not really that hard to get a free ride.

An old pick-up truck stopped over and gave us a ride til Ayvalik central.... really nice people...Turkish.

Seytan Sofrasi (Devil's Foot) mountain

View on top of Seytan Sofrasi

The Devil's Foot moountain is a mere 3 kilomteres walk up the mountain from where I was staying in Sarimsakli.

Me and my 4 local friends walked along a short-cut path going up the mountain, not really that far and tiring, it's like strolling along the area, no sweat.

We reached the top of the mountain, well, the main attraction is the footprint of about a meter in length and inside a steel railings on the edge of the mountain that commands a truly magnificent view of hills and ocean below.

Twas very peaceful up there, not much tourists during that time, saw only a couple and us.

Most people who go there drop some coin at the footprint (and maybe make some wish) (check picture no. 5 here), but most locals (like my friends) collect the coins from the footprint (LOL!).

The footprint has a legend but I was not actually interested about the story, I was more fascinated by the nice view around.

Everywhere you look, around you 360 deg., are oceans and splendid panorama of the whole Ayvalik area.

Worth a visit!

Stroll along the Ayvalik coastline

I think it's Lesbos Island on the horizon

I've stayed at the Sarimsakli area so I have to take a bus, which is about less than 30 minutes ride to the centre of Ayvalik. Get down at the there and walk along the beautiful Ayvalik coastline that extends upto the road leading to Cunda Island.

I was there March 2007 and still winter so swimming is not a good idea... strolling is.

We strolled along the boardwalk of Ayvalik coast until we reached the entrance to a village that starts our 5 to 6 kilometers walk to Cunda Island.

GRRRRRRRR... my local friends did not tell me that! ... and bus is actually available!

Juz because they want tme to see the whole countryside....and the magnificent views along the road to Cunda.

Visit Cunda

by ozalp Updated Mar 14, 2007

Road to Lale Adasi

Cunda (Alibey Island) is a small island but it is connected to Ayvalik with a small bridge on Lale Adasi (Tulip Island). Lale Adasi is smaller than Cunda and closer to Ayvalik. It is connected with a road in the sea.
    After you passed a road in the sea, a smaller island and a bridge, you reach Cunda. The main settlement is on your left side. If you go there with the bus, you'll reach directly to a small main square of the town.
    There are some small cafés near the sea, you can have a sage tea and an Ayvalik toast (a huge hot sandwich) as a breakfast here. If it is late for breakfast, you can eat fish and mezes and drink alcohol.
    Do not stuck near the cafés and explore the back streets of this pink town. Yes, it is pink because of the stone which used to build all the beautiful houses here. Find the fountains in narrow streets, get amazed by the Church. See the town folk speaking in front of their houses with their neighbors. Get surprised by the quantity of cats in this small town. See the variety of fishes in the shops. Smell the vegetables and fruits to understand how fresh they are.

Oh, how I missed this place!

• Architecture

The old church: Taksiyarhis

by ozalp Updated Oct 30, 2006

Rear part

This church is in Alibey (Cunda) Island. It is not in a good condition. After the recent eathquakes, it is prohibited to enter. Before that you can see inner parts with the help of an old lady who lives very close. She had a key of the churh and had been keeping it locked for protecting it.

It is all made from the pink rock of the region. The church is a beautiful monument but it is very close to collapse.

• Architecture

• goga4444's Profile Photo

Seytan Sofrasi sunset

by goga4444 Updated Nov 24, 2005

Ayvalik, Seytan Sofrasi sunset

What you should not miss is to go up on some hill called Seytan sofrasi which means Devil's table. Turks believe that the sunset you see form there is the most beautful sunset in the world. Now I haven't seen all the sunsets in the world and I can't judge that, but I saw this one and it is truly great and romantic Check all pics to see how it looks like..
    People go up (there are busses to take you up) and wait for the sunset, you ll hear silent turkish music and you may have a drink in the restaurant. But dont get drunk and fall down, that might be dangerous!

Instant Answers: Ayvalik

Comments

Ayvalik Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Ayvalik things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ayvalik sightseeing.