Pamukkale Tourist Traps

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Pamukkale

• travelnut71's Profile Photo

Mustafa hotel/hostel, beware!

by travelnut71 Written Apr 4, 2011

This place is located here:
    Kale Mahallesi Ataturk caddesi no 20, Pamukkale

This is not a hotel, more like a hostel. I will tell you my experience, there are many tourist traps in Turkey, hostels are one of them. First, know that it's a, "You got my back, I got yours", mentality in Turkey, and all to screw the customer. At most, if you don't mind filth, aggressive bad attitude, and cold outside the summer months, DO NOT STAY HERE. I stayed at a hostel in Selcuk. I am willing to bet any money that the owner of that hostel has connections with this one in Pamukkale since he was INSISTING that he wanted to book me a hostel in Pamukkale, even called my husband on his cell phone. We had a reservation at the Pam Hotel, FOR THE SAME PRICE, and this is what happened... and why I think they had this scam going on.. when we arrived, the bus stop is right in front of this hostel. We had a son of 9 months in a back carrier, which are not so famous in Turkey and people were amazed by it, so we were easily identified. The people of this hostel were WAITING for us outside the bus and started tugging at our luggage! We had 2 friends who were on the same bus who had no reservations. They decided to accept the offer of 30 Turkish Lira. They told me it was a disaster, no hot water and very filthy and negative attitude when they didn't buy beer, funny cause no one really drinks much in Turkey (locals). Anyway, back to my story, as we got down the bus, they started to tug at our luggage and bring it in the hostel! We never had a reservation and we had one at the Pam Thermal! The guy waiting outside looked a lot like the guy at the other hostel in Selcuk, they may be brothers. There was one white girl who spoke English well, and this guy who was a local also spoke English well, with a blue Australian shirt, catering to backpackers. I saw only very young Koreans backpackers. Anyhow we had to pull the luggage from them, while I was holding my baby! Then they asked us where we were staying, in Turkey, they are too personal on knowing your whereabouts, and don't worry it's not dangerous it's just a way they can think of to make money off you, example, if they know the owner of the hotel, they may call him and get commission, even if he didn't book the hotel, if you take a cab there, they will call the cab driver and then later get a few bucks from him, which in the end, when they saw we were serious about having a reservation, they tried to do this. We took a bus to the Pam hotel, very cheap and great service. While my husband was getting his luggage back, the guy with the Australian shirt insulted him by saying, "Be a man and be a good tourist, stay here with the locals, this hotel is local the Pam Hotel is all tourist. You have no culture you like to travel with tourists." And mind you, the only people in his hostel were tourists, and from Asia, UK and Australia! At the Pam Hotel, we were surprised to see a lot of Turks and quite happy about it! So, he lied and they do this everywhere in Turkey so beware! If you wish to see reviews, check out Tripadvisor. My friends who stayed there said it was dirty, no hot water and they were quite aggressive with them. They ordered something and they got something totally different for dinner, but they said that the food was passable.
    Least to say, this is no place for a family. Do not stay here with kids.

Unique Suggestions: If you really want to stay here, make sure they don't charge you more than 30 Turkish Lira at any season (even that was too high), but good luck, I would suggest the alternative below.

Fun Alternatives: If you want to stay for cheap, take the bus from Pamukkale to Kayarit, near the Pam Hotel, they also have hostels, much cleaner than this one and a lot friendlier and it's more local. If you really want to stay here, go to the Kale Guesthouse. The service was much more professional there, I got my bus ticket there and it was a lot cheaper than the rest of the street had to offer. Again, beware that when you need to buy a bus ticket, do it yourself, they make commission off you. Hostel owners will always want to do services for you, tell them no!

• buraque's Profile Photo

new turkish liras

by buraque Written Mar 14, 2006

Since 01/01/2006 the the new turkish lira (YTL) is being used and the old turkish lira is no longer valid. So while you are shopping, keep that in mind. 6 zeros (000000) were deleted from the new notes. so 1.000.000 TL is now 1 YTL. (5.000.000 TL - 5 YTL / 10.000.000 - 10 YTL, etc...) So while you are shopping, when you get the change, make sure that none of notes have more than 2 zeros. the notes in use now are :
    1 YTL
    5 YTL
    10 YTL
    20 YTL
    50 YTL
    100 YTL

as of 15.04.2006 1 euro is 1.60656 YTL and 1 US$ is 1.33720 YTL

Unique Suggestions: In case you have some old turkish liras you can change them with new turkish liras in several banks.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• Imaniac's Profile Photo

Most springs in are not for bathing

by Imaniac Updated Oct 29, 2003

The White Mountains

A lot of people go to Pamukale to see the white mountains and their springs. And most of you want to take a bath in one of them. Although you could do that in the past, you can't do it anymore. You cal only take a bath in a few springs at the beginning. So if you're looking for a spa, don't go to the mountains.

• Spa and Resort

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo

Cleopatra pools

by Pablos_new Written Jun 3, 2003

In the pool

A lot of advertising attract you to the so-called "Cleopatra pools". It is absolutely worthless thing. First, it has no any relation to Cleopatra. Second, there is a lot of stone debris in the pool not deep enough, so it is possible to injure legs while swimming. Third, there is too many people swimming, and it looks like not clean enough ;-(

Fun Alternatives: If you stay in Pamukkale in a hotel, it is better to use outdoor pools there. It is clean and also have miniral water.

Instant Answers: Pamukkale

Comments

Pamukkale Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Pamukkale tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pamukkale sightseeing.