Adalar Travel Guide

Seagull
    From the port

Adalar Things to Do

• ozalp's Profile Photo
    Roads are only for bicyles and phaetons

by ozalp Updated Sep 28, 2010

Prince Islands are too big to walk. But the landscape and streets with trees are too nice so you cannot resist to desire of walking around. Artonice (Eylem) and I walked in Buyukada.
    After years, we strolled Buyukada's streets again. I certainly recommend you to do it. You can see some amazing old houses with nice details. Some of them are real artworks of a refined era.

From the port 2 more images

by ozalp Written May 28, 2007

This island is the second one from Bostanci. It takes 40 minutes to reach there with ferry. I do not swim in Marmara but there were many people swimming in this island when we were there.
    This island is more quite and peaceful than Buyukada. The ferry to islands stops every island, so it can be crowded. I recommend you to visit island in weekdays.
    Burgazada is small and cute. It had a fire incident last years. The best way to wander around is to walk for me. But is you don't like to walk you can hire a bicycle or horse pulled carriage.

• Hiking and Walking

Seagull

by ozalp Written Feb 13, 2007

"Simit and cay" is the official meal in a ferry. :) Simit is a pastry with sesame and cay is tea. People traveling in ferries sometimes share their "simit" with seagulls. This is very common so seagulls improved an attitude to follow the ferries for a piece of simit. They follow your movements and calculate the route of simit. Some experienced seagulls can even catch the simit before it fells to sea. It is important to estimate where the simit goes, because there is a serious competition.

Adalar Restaurants

by ozalp Written Feb 13, 2007

Since there are many islands, some of them are quite empty in winter weekends. Even if the weather is good or the ferry is full.
    When we entered this restaurant it is empty except only one table. I think it is a family restaurant. Because of the emptiness they do not have many mezes. I ordered fish, as usual. I preferred istavrit as we call it in Turkish. My dictionary translates it as "horse mackerel".

Fish was very fresh and delicious, but mezes were not good enough. The service was poor because of the emptiness.

When we were leaving the owner of the restaurant gave me a bunch of mimosa.

Favorite Dish: Only fish

Mmmh, grilled bonito 4 more images

by ozalp Updated Feb 13, 2007

There are a series of restaurants by the sea in Buyukada. They start from the port. We dined in the closest one to the port that night. I cannot read Greek but I think its name was Kapri.

If you are in an island and you can smell the sea, there is only one possibility for dinner: You have to eat fish. Fish season is generally opened in the last days of August in Istanbul. So we picked some fishes and a few starters with salad. Of course we did not forget the raki.

We (Turkish people who like to drink) say that if you don’t drink raki with fish, you spoil it.

Favorite Dish: When the season is opened I prefer small fishes, like anchovy or sardines. But they didn't have it. I picked a "bonito". I am not sure about this name; we call this fish as "palamut".

"Deniz borulcesi" was good. It is a vegetable that grows near the sea -with sea water- in Aegean part of Turkey.

• Adalar Hotels

0 Hotels in Adalar

Adalar Shopping

by ozalp Updated Sep 27, 2010

My two close friends are actually cookie monsters. They adore the cookies, worship the cookie makers. This place is one of their favorite spots.
    I prefer less sweet stuff. This is why I didn't buy from their favorite cookie with Turkish delight. It was so sweet, one can feel dizzy after eating 2 pieces. You can also find mastic, cinnamon, orange cookies here. The ones I liked are the 8 shaped cinnamon cookies which are not so sweet. Since I'm not a cookie fan I brought the package to my office and it is all finished by now. This is why I can't provide a photo of them.
    The owner served us a salty pastry with aubergine to try. It was also very delicious.

What to buy: Lots of cookies. Also they have some salty pastry, too.

What to pay: Package of cookies are around 4-6tl.

Adalar Off The Beaten Path

Curves 1 more image

by ozalp Written Oct 3, 2006

The gardens of the houses are well-designed and well-cared. You can see many old trees in Islands. And if you look carefully you can see strange things like this:

Instant Answers: Adalar

Comments

Adalar Travel Guide
Map of Adalar