hospitality, Istanbul

Know about this?

Istanbul - Turkey
    by solopes
    A hot cat,enjoying a drink..
    by benazer
    friendly ice cream maker
    by ophiro
  • solopes's Profile Photo

Guest's room in harem

by solopes Updated Dec 26, 2013

Yes, hospitality is a real characteristic of Turkish people, and my room in Dolmabahce Palace was very comfortable.

I didn't want to abuse their hospitality, and that's why I didn't accept to stay there, not because the harem was empty as some bad spirits suggested.

Istanbul - Turkey
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

• BlueLlama's Profile Photo

Turkish hospitality - it pays to go local

by BlueLlama Written Jun 15, 2008

This might just have been my experience, but I found that in Istanbul at least the famous Turkish hospitality wasn't always much in evidence. Well, in the tourist areas and shops at least. Contrary to what the guidebooks say we'd had pretty indifferent service (my box of Turkish delight was fairly hurled at me in one shop!) until we stepped off the tourist trail.

Going into a shop that sold men's hats and caps in Galata was like stepping back in time; the service and attention was of the standard you don't see in western Europe most of the time. The owner was determined to ensure satisfaction with the cap my boyfriend bought and it was the first occasion our attempts to speak a little Turkish raised a smile.

We found the same thing with eating out. The restaurants in Sultanahmet, with some notable exceptions, seemed to have a pile-em-in approach where the good cheer ended as soon as you were safely in the door. Not so in the smaller shops where owners were keen to see us enjoy their food (often cooked by wives at home and arriving intermittently) and ply us with free samples.

So it pays to seek out smaller shops and food outlets. You'll be offered a much warmer welcome.

• IvaT's Profile Photo

People in Instanbul are GREAT!!!

by IvaT Written Nov 22, 2006

Before going to Istanbul I have read a lot of advices about how to behave or how to speak with the locals ( for example, don't make eye contact, don't look at them, pretend you don't understand english or any other language they speak - especially on grand bazar). And I have to say that lot of them were crap. But one thing is true - if you don't like meeting new people, or you can't accommodate easy, then you won't have a lot of fun in Istanbul, and you will probably find locals very annoying and difficult. But they only want to talk and are very curious. I have to say that I had a wonderful time there and hope to come back some day. Our local guide told us that people in Istanbul won't tell you where something is, they will take you there. And that is true. So, don't be afraid of locals, and you'll have a great time too.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles
    • Study Abroad

• Mind your shoes!

by aakunz Written Sep 23, 2005

When visiting a Turkish home, it is customary to take off your shoes as soon as you enter the house or the flat. The weather in Istanbul is rainy and the streets are renowned for their poor sate of hygiene. Usually they'll hand you a pair of sleepers to use while at home. I was really excited with this idea and I also do it at home.

• Bostephenson's Profile Photo

Turkish Friends

by Bostephenson Written Sep 21, 2005

Tell everyone that you are going to Turkey! The reason for this is because some of them will have friends who are from Turkey. That is nice because Turks are very excited about their country. I'd read this in several guide books but had no idea how real it was until I was having lunch with a friend who's colleague originally hails from Istanbul. After hearing I was going, he gave details all sorts of restaurants and bars that we should visit. He gave us the contact info of a friend who curates the Topkapi Palace, and even offered to call a friend to arrange entry into the best clubs for us.

Mind you, I'd only met the man once, but it was about the nicest thing I could have ever asked for! Turkish hospitality is not to be sneered at. The Turks are kind people and should be celebrated as such!

• ophiro's Profile Photo

Friendly People

by ophiro Written Jul 25, 2005

Although i saw a lot of turkish people that cant speak english they tried to help us when we needed - with hands or with other people that can speak english.

Most of the people i saw were very friendly.
    For example - while waiting in the bazaar someone gave us chairs and offered tea or water and he didnt even tried to sell us something.

friendly ice cream maker

• The truth about Turkish hospitality!

by MonsieurL Written Jan 19, 2005

You will find that what a majority of people say here is indeed true!

HOWEVER....

1. If you are in a shopping district with high priced items, this hospitality has a definite purpose... to get you into their shop, and to browbeat you into buying expensive items at tourist prices. So if you go into a shop with lower priced items, have no fear! If it is a leather shop, or a carpet shop, THEN you should be on your toes. If you are not interested, refusing the tea and going is NOT rude! IT is just business.

2. If you run into a man in the shopping district who wants to help you find something by ESCORTING you around, THEN you should break it off. Odds are he is either trying to get you to go to friend's shop, or wants the prices to be bumped up a little to get his 'cut'.

After all that, if you go to any restaraunt, or home, or hotel, people are VERY friendly! Practice your Turkish... talk to them.. it's OK!

Just watch yourself when shopping :)

• Bigjones's Profile Photo

Turkish hospitality

by Bigjones Written Sep 23, 2003

When we were in Istanbul, a lot of Turkish people offered us a cup of tea without asking anything as a counterpart. They just wanted to talk a little bit, explain their way of life or show parts of their city. No reason to be afraid, this is turkish hospitality.

Drinking tea with a Turkish guy

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

by matcrazy1 Updated Jun 29, 2003

63rd postcard
    From: participants of VT meeting in ISTANBUL (Turkey) on 22-23 Feb 2003.
    Sent: 27 February 2003
    Received: 03 March 2003
    On the postcard: Istanbul, Turkey: on the left Nusretiye Mosque; on the right from the top: Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge, Rumeli Hisari and Bosphorus, Leander's Tower (Kiz Kulesi).
    THANK YOU my friends :-).

ISTANBUL (TURKEY)
    • Adventure Travel

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

From Istanbul VT-meeting :-)))

by matcrazy1 Written Jun 29, 2003

63rd postcard
    From: participants of VT meeting in ISTANBUL (Turkey) on 22-23 Feb 2003.
    Sent: 27 February 2003
    Received: 03 March 2003
    Time of delivery: 8 business days
    On the postcard: Wow, very nice words :-) and signatures of:
    Betty, Betul (80-bettyboo) from Istanbul,
    Tim (southlondon) from London, UK,
    Sergiu Turcanu (Lion_Beat) from Istanbul,
    ASLIHAN (beatle74) from Istanbul,
    Thomas Doennebrink (Doennebrink) from Istanbul Ili,
    Erdem (bosphorus) from Istanbul.
    THANK YOU my fantastic friends, you even can't imagine how much I would like to be with you that day :-).

MY VT FRIENDS FROM ISTANBUL VT MEETING :-)))
    • Adventure Travel

• ersavas's Profile Photo

Turks like to talk and spend...

by ersavas Written Aug 26, 2002

Turks like to talk and spend time with foreigners. they are very hospitable that sometimes you may want to get rid of it :) They can offer you free drinks, meals a.s.o. These are all normal. But of course some people can try to benefit from this situation and try to cheat you in terms of costs. Try to be careful of course but not nervous. Otherwise you can not taste it..

• benazer's Profile Photo

Hot Istanbul-drink water.

by benazer Written Aug 23, 2006

You will see many water tabs all over the city,some of them specially put there with cold water,it is free so you can enjoy some cold water after a day of exploring Istanbul..

A hot cat,enjoying a drink..

Instant Answers: Istanbul