Rustem Pasa Madrasa is located in the Cagaloglu neighborhood. Its construction was completed in 1550 by order of the Grand Vizier Rustem Pasa to the architect Sinan, as documented in a four-line inscription in Persian. The madrasa constitutes the first in a series of edifices designed by Sinan at the request of the Grand Vizier, followed by the Rüstem Pasa Mosque in Tekirdag in 1553 and Rustem Pasa Mosque in Tahtakale in 1561.
The madrasa comprises an octagonal courtyard within in a square-shaped structure. The main entrance is located on the eastern elevation and leads to the courtyard through an octagonal domed portico with drop arches based on piers with capitals on the corner and a set of two intervening columns. Seven paths paved in stone lead to the octagonal ablution fountain with a pyramidal roof in the middle of the courtyard. The twenty-two rooms of the square structure are organized in units of three occupying each side of the octagonal and covered with domes slightly elevated on octagonal drums. Each room is equipped with a furnace, indicated by the square-shaped chimneys with hipped roofs located between the domes over the rooms. Iwans, placed on the diagonal axis of the square structure, offer access to the triangular spaces of the corners. The triangular spaces of the northern elevation are organized in triples of domed rooms, while the ones on the southern elevation constitute empty triangular spaces; on the southwest is an open space, and the southeast is topped with domes. An octagonal pool is placed on the center of the octagonal open court. The domed lecture hall (dershane) rises in the middle of the north elevation and projects towards the north. The load of the central dome is transferred to the ground through semi-domes situated on the diagonals of the square-shaped plan.
Even though the schema of the madrasa is unique, Sinan uses the fundamental elements constituting the traditional madrasa in the same configuration: an open courtyard enclosed by cells and surrounded by porticoes, with an ablution fountain in the center. Rustem Pasa Madrasa constitutes the sole example where Sinan employed an octagonal configuration for the design of a madrasa.
Lighthouses add more pleasure to Istanbul's perfect view. When you tour the Bosporus, you see a number of lighthouses of different sizes and colors and cannot take your eyes off them. Most of these lighthouses have guided ship's captains for centuries. Ships passing through the Marmara or Black Seas into the Bosporus find their routes according to these lighthouses. Their light can be seen from many miles away.
Rumelia, Anatolia, Ahirkapi, Maiden's Tower, Fenerbahce and Yesilkoy are all historical lighthouses in Istanbul. The Anatolia and Rumelia lighthouses welcome ships passing through the Black Sea to the Bosporus. Ships passing through the Marmara Sea to the Bosporus, determine their route according to the Yesilkoy and Ahirkapi lighthouses.
Most of the historical lighthouses in Istanbul were built by the French at dangerous points of the Marmara Sea and the Bosporus in 1850s, at the time of Ottoman Empire. Ahirkapi was the first lighthouse in Istanbul, which is one of the oldest and busiest harbors in history.
Ahirkapi lighthouse was built in 1755 after a shipwreck. A ship, which was equipped with sails and oars and steered by Haci Kaptan to Egypt, was grounded off the Kumkapi coast during a heavy storm. Sultan Osman III and the Grand Vizier Sadi Pasha went to Kumkapi and watched the rescue operations. At this time, one of the sailors said to the Sultan, "If lighthouses were constructed here on the city walls, ships could find their routes according to the light, and accidents will no longer happen." Sultan Osman III then the Adm. Suleyman Pasha construct the Ahirkapi lighthouse.
The lighthouse was built on the city walls and gained a new appearance in 1857. The French restored it on the instruction of Sultan Abdulmecid. They also built a house where the lighthouse keeper and his family could stay.
The Arasta Bazaar on the southeast side of Istanbul's Blue Mosque is worth visiting for its many shops selling carpets, kilims, Turkish tiles, apparel and souvenirs.
While you're here, you can visit the "Great Palace Mosaic Museum" beneath the Arasta.
An arasta is a series of shops built beneath or near a mosque. Rent from the shops provides money for the maintenance and repair of the mosque.
These shops were empty and derelict for many years until the tourism boom of the late 1980s and 1990s convinced those in charge to restore and rent them. Now the Arasta Bazaar (marked on some maps as the southwestern continuation of Kabasakal Caddesi) is among Istanbul's most-visited tourist markets.
At its northeastern end by Mimar Mehmet Aga Caddesi are several open-air cafes, snack stands and restaurants.
Its a nice stop as you are tired with your Sultanahmet area visits and to have a sip of an apple tea or a coffee ... :)
The Serpent Column (Yilanli Sutun) is an ancient bronze column at the Hippodrome of Constantinople (known as Atmeydanı "Horse Square" in the Ottoman period) in Istanbul
It is part of an ancient Greek sacrificial tripod, originally in Delphi and relocated to Constantinople by Constantine I the Great in 324. It was built to commemorate the Greeks who fought and defeated the Persian Empire at the Battle of Plataea (479 BC). The serpent heads of the 8-metre high column remained intact until the end of the 17th century (one is on display at the nearby Istanbul Archaeology Museums)
The Serpentine Column has one of the longest literary histories of any object surviving from Greek and Roman antiquity — its provenance is not in doubt and it is at least 2,490 years old. Together with its original golden tripod and bowl (both long missing), it constituted a trophy, or offering, dedicated to Apollo at Delphi. This offering was made in the spring of 478 BC, several months after the defeat of the Persian army in the Battle of Plataea (August, 479 BC) by those Greek city-states in alliance against the Persian invasion of mainland Greece.
Among the writers who allude to the Column in the ancient literature are Herodotus, Thucydides, Demosthenes, Diodorus Siculus, Pausanias the traveller, Cornelius Nepos and Plutarch.The removal of the column by the Emperor Constantine to his new capital, Constantinople, is described by Edward Gibbon, citing the testimony of the Byzantine historians Zosimus, Eusebius, Socrates, and Sozomenus.
Between fifty to one hundred years after the Turkish conquest of Constantinople, the jaw of one of the three serpent heads was documented missing. There is a most likely apocryphal legend that Mehmed II, shattered it upon entering the city in triumph as its conqueror.
Its worth to visit and just about 5 mins walk from Topkapi Palace and Sultanahmet area .. :)
Permission for the church on Muallim Naci Street was not given between 1520 and 1566 owing to the fact that the land belonged to the Sultan Beyazıt Foundation. After the decree had been received in 1570, a small wooden church was built. The larger church, which was built in 1693 owing to the efforts of Patriarch Kallinikos II, was destroyed in the fire of 1719.
The present day church was built in 1856 and the parrecclesion dedicated to St. Yeoryios at the end of the 19th century.
The building with external dimension of 28.64 x 18.3 m is about 13.2 m high. It has a basilica plan with three naves and a cradle roof.
Scenes taken from Jesus’ life story are placed in the little frames on the upper part of the Holy Trinity depiction in the middle of the iconostasis. In the larger frames below, from the left, are depictions of Hagios Basileios, Hagios Demetrios, Panagia Koimesis, Hagios Phokas, the Virgin Mary and Child Jesus, Jesus, Ioannes Prodromos, Khristos Genesis, Hagios Georgios, and Hagios Tryphon.
The ambo’s surfaces facing the narthex are embellished with Jesus and the writers of the Gospels.
The Christ Pantokrator on the narthex and the Apostles’ portraits on the front surface of volutes are quite good. Also, the western wall of the narthex and the side of the gallery facing the narthex are embellished with scenes from the Bible and the Old Testament, respectively.
Its located just next to Ortakoy district of the city, about 15 mins walking distance from Besiktas harbour ....
Opposite Tunel station, an elaborate iron gate leads to an enchanting 19th-century arcade overgrown with potted plants.
The locaton is Tunel district, at the far end of the Istiklal Street.
Here is my HD "Tunel Square" Video :
There are couple interesting stores as well as bars and eateries located at Tunel Square and the most famous building is the historical "Tunel Gecidi" office building which was built in 1871. There are still offices in the building as well as art galleries and nice restaurants/bars located in its garden side which perform also live music at the evenings.
This mystical passage way right opposite of Taksim Tunel, known as the world’s second oldest underground public transportation built in 1874, is lightened by hundreds of colorful light bulbs every night and it really looks magical. Asmalimescit is the the last stop of the nostalgic Taksim-Tunel tramway and when you get off the tramway you’ll definitely drown inside this passage where there are also great restaurants and bars.
After a dinner evening at the passageway you can pass by the 19th century iron gates and enjoy the nightlife of Asmalimescit .... :)
In the 17th century, when the Ottoman Empire began bringing European experts in to help modernize the city, most of them settled in the Pera district, today the Istiklal Caddesi area. Many of the French residents clustered on this street, which became known as Fransiz Sokagi, or French Street. Its heyday was in the late 19th century, when the French population introduced the first cinemas and cafes into the area and architect Marius Michel designed many of the buildings on the left hand side of the street.
During the uprisings for independence in Algeria, the Turkish government changed the name of the street to Algeria street, or Cezayir Sokak as a sign of solidarity, but it is still popularly known as Fransiz Sokagi. In 2004 Mehmet Tasdiken led a restoration of the street, re-exerting its French feel even in the cobblestones and street lamps.
The street is full of cafes and restaurants, even an art gallery; all brightly colored in the designer's vision of how it once looked. Sitting outside is so popular that there are heaters put out to accommodate guests even when the weather is cool. Most feature live music nightly, each specializing in a different genre. Pay special attention to the street lamps, which lined the streets of Paris a century ago.
To reach the area from Istiklal Street, the street is behind Galatasaray School, follow Yenicarsi Street taking the first left onto Hayriye Street, from there it is the first street on the right ... :)
SS Peter and Paul (Sen Pier ve Sen Paul Kilisesi) is a Roman Catholic church in Istanbul, important for historical reasons. The church owns an icon of the Virgin of the Hodegetria type, which originally lay in a Dominican church in Caffa, Crimea.
The current building is a nineteenth century (1841 to 1843) reconstruction of the Fossati brothers.
The church is built in the form of a basilica, with a four side altar. The cupola over the choir is sky blue, studded with gold stars. The church's rear wall is built into a section of Galata's old Genoese ramparts. The church possesses several relics: those of Saint Renatus and others of Saint Thomas, Saint Dominic and the Saints Peter and Paul. The yard East of the church's entrance takes the form of a narrow alleyway enclosed by high walls which are covered with sculptures and inscribed gravestones, most of them in Italian. More graves are contained in the church's crypt.
The church lies in Karakoy which is ancient Galata and is in neighborhood district of Beyoglu. U can reach the church as walking uphill on the direction to the Galata Tower.
"Camondo Stairs" in Istanbul constructed by Camondo Family circa 1870-1880.
Legend has it that the family had the stairs built so that their kids could take a shortcut on their way to school. No matter what its intention, this art-nouveau piece contributes greatly to the urban fabric of Karakoy and provides a stylish hike up towards the Galata Tower as well as a great set for your Istanbul photos.
Part of the Sephardic community in Spain, the Camondo family settled in Venice after the 1492 Spanish decree that ordered the expulsion of all Jews who refused conversion to Catholicism. There, some of its members became famous for their scholarship and for the services which they rendered to their adopted country. Following the Austrian takeover of Venice in 1798, members of the Camondo family established themselves in İstanbul. Despite the many restrictions and sumptuary laws imposed on all minorities, the family flourished as merchants in the business section at Galata at the outskirts of the city. They branched into finance in 1802 with the founding of their own bank.
Located at the Karakoy district, just on the Bankalar Street entrance on your right handside ... :)
The Emirgan Park (Turkish: Emirgan Korusu or rarely Emirgan Parkı) is a historical urban park located in Emirgan neighborhood at the Bosphorus in Sarıyer district of Istanbul. It is one of the largest public parks in Istanbul.
The park, owned and administered today by the Metropolitan Municipality of Istanbul, covers an area of 117 acres (470,000 m2) on a hillside, and is enclosed by high walls.
Inside the park with two decorative ponds are plants of more than 120 species. The most notable rare trees of the park's flora are: Stone Pine, Turkish pine, Aleppo Pine, Blue Pine, Eastern White Pine, Maritime Pine, Japanese Cedar, Norway Spruce, Blue Spruce, Atlas Cedar, Lebanon Cedar, Himalayan cedar, Beech, Ash tree, Sapindus, Babylon Willow, Hungarian Oak, Colorado White Fir, Maidenhair tree, California incense-cedar, Coast Redwood and Camphor tree.
Many jogging tracks and picnic tables make the Emirgan Park a very popular recreation area for the local people, especially during the weekends and holidays. The three historic pavilions, called after their exterior color as the Yellow Pavilion, the Pink Pavilion and the White Pavilion were restored in time between 1979-1983 by the Touring and Automobile Club of Turkey under its CEO Celik Gulersoy, and opened to the public as cafeteria and restaurant.
Perfect park to be away from the noise and hassle of the city ... :)
Hayreddin Barbarossa or Barbarossa Hayreddin Pasha (Turkish: Barbaros Hayreddin (Hayrettin) Pasa or Hizir Hayreddin (Hayrettin) Pasa; also Hizir Reis before being promoted to the rank of Pasha and becoming the Kapudan-ı Derya,
Was a Turkish Ottoman admiral of the fleet who was born on the island of Lesbos and died in Constantinople, the Ottoman capital. Barbarossa's naval victories secured Ottoman dominance over the Mediterranean during the mid 16th century, from the Battle of Preveza in 1538 until the Battle of Lepanto in 1571.
Hayreddin was an honorary name given to him by Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. He became known as "Barbarossa" ("Redbeard" in Italian) in Europe, a name he inherited from his elder brother Baba Oruc after Aruj was killed in a battle with the Spanish in Algeria. This name sounded like "Barbarossa" ("Redbeard") to the Europeans, and Aruj did have a red beard. The nickname then stuck also to Hayreddin's Turkish name, in the form Barbaros.
His mausoleum is in the Barbaros Park of Besiktas where his statue also stands, right next to the Istanbul Naval Museum. On the back of the statue are verses by the Turkish poet Yahya Kemal Beyatlı, which may be translated as follows:
Whence on the sea's horizon comes that roar?
Can it be Barbarossa now returning
From Tunis or Algiers or from the Isles?
Two hundred vessels ride upon the waves,
Coming from lands the rising Crescent lights:
O blessed ships, from what seas are ye come?
Barbaros Boulevard starts from his mausoleum on the Bosphorus and runs all the way up to the Levent and Maslak business districts and beyond. He gave his name to Uskudar and Eminonu port in Besiktas
In the centuries following his death, even today, Turkish seamen salute his mausoleum with a cannon shot before leaving for naval operations and battles.
Several warships of the Turkish Navy and passenger ships have been named after him.
Istanbul's Sirkeci Train Station edifice was built in 1890 as the eastern terminus of the Orient Express. It was designed in European Orientalist style by the German architect August Jachmund.
While the historic building's entrance is on the side of the tracks, the current modern looking entrance is at the end of the tracks, facing the busy street Ankara Caddesi. From here the whole beauty of the train station can easily be overlooked.
Unfortunately, like Haydarpasa Train Station, also Sirkeci Train Station is losing its importance due to the massive underground railway project Marmaray, which includes a rail tunnel under the Bosphorus.
Inside the building the old waiting rooms, the Orient Express Restaurant and an Atatürk Monument are well worth seeing. Also since a few years the small Turkish Railway Museum can be found in the train station. Unfortunately it was closed when I visited the place.
The old steam locomotive TCDD 2251, which was built by the company Krauss Munich in 1874 is displayed just outside of the station building.
Istanbul's Sirkeci Train Station is situated on the European side of the city in the Sirkeci district. It can be found near the street crossing of Ankara Caddesi and Kennedy Caddesi.
Polonezkoy, literally the "Polish Village", is a pretty village on the Beykoz-Sile road on the Asian side. It was founded by settlers from Poland, who took political asylum in the Ottoman Empire in the 18th century. Located in the midst of abundant nature, Polonezköy offers the visitors the natural beauty and the fresh air full of oxygen. Owing to intensive touristic demand the village has been equipped with restaurants, motels and pensions. The opportunities for picnics, strolls and sports attract the visitors in the spring and summer times while in the winter it is usually the hunting excursionists visiting here. Besides, it is an interesting experience for the visitors to taste the Polish food prepared by the handful Polish locals of the village.
Polonezkoy is also famous for its picnic areas...Nature parc or Cumhuriyet village is wellknown
for this kind of activities...
I use to spend all my summer holidays in one of this islands and my mother was use to live in Heybeli.This islands are situated only 45 minutes far from the city with boat.
The Princes' Islands are a chain of nine islands off the coast of Istanbul in the Sea of Marmara. These islands are Büyükada (Greek: Prinkipo, meaning "Prince") with an area of 5.36 km², Heybeliada (Greek: Halki) with an area of 2.4 km², Burgazada (Greek: Antigoni) with an area of 1.5 km², Kýnalýada (Greek: Proti,meaning "The First", being the closest island to Istanbul) with an area of 1.3 km², Sedef Adasý (Greek: Terebinthos) with an area of 0.157 km², Yassiada (Greek: Plati) with an area of 0.05km², Sivriada (Greek: Okseia) with an area of 0.05km², Kasik Adasi (spoon island, named for its shape) with an area of 0.006 km², and Tavsan Adasi( greek:Leandros) with an area of 0.004 km².
As there is no traffic on the Islands, the only transport being horse and cart, they are incredibly peaceful compared with the city of Istanbul. They are just a short ferry ride from both the Asian (at Bostanci and also Kartal) and European sides (from Sirkeci/Eminönü, Kabatas and Yenikapi) of Istanbul.
During the Byzantine period, princes and other royalty were exiled on the islands, and later members of the Ottoman sultans family were exiled there too, lending the islands their present name.
This park is directly continuguous to the Sultanahmet complex and is along the tramway that leads towards the Grand Bazaar and the Beyzayid Mosque complex. It is obviously a modern creation, as it includes a small pavillion and tiered gardens, but at the same time it has the Firuz Aga Mosque. The Mosque is a late 15th century construction that demonstrates the typical Ottoman style with a slender, tall minaret and a squat, wide dome, a loan from Byzantine styles of architecture. The park is not, thankfully, overrun by the same crowds that take over the Sultanahmet, and thus allow for both a bit of relaxation and siteseeing after the frenzy of Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque.
Housed in a former Ottoman prison, The Four Seasons in Sultanahmet is anything but. It is the...more
Dersaadet Oteli is a small inn located in the shadow of the Blue Mosque in Sultanahmet. The inn is a...more
a very new hotel. very near to grande museums and sophia dome. sea is very near to hotel. we enjoy...more
see all Istanbul member meetings