Haci Baba, Istanbul

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Haci Baba: Original Turkish Restaurant

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 18, 2013

Haci Baba restaurant - Istanbul

Haci Baba is an original Turkish restaurant at just 100 meters from Taksim square.
    At the first floor there is a cosy dining room with a view onto the busy Istiklal street below.

There are more dining rooms like the garden salon at the back.

The restaurant is in business since 1921; some of the wall paintings originates from that year.

Favorite Dish: The Kunefe dessert.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• Hacibaba: Awful service, rude waiter and bill was wrong

by Shawides Written Jun 24, 2012

Range of similar And priced similar to other places that we had been to, however:
    1) we are overcharged for food
    2) the waited insisted we paid for the food because we had ordered it, despite the fact it was not brought to the table.
    3) he demanded that we order something to make up the value.
    ... And after all that
    4) demanded a tip

Overall, deeply disappointed. And in retrospect the food Not worth the treck as we were not staying in the area

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

Haci Baba: Affordable

by traveloturc Updated Apr 25, 2011

Haci Baba a block southwest of Taksim Square, is a longtime favorite with glassed-in terrace tables overlooking the pleasant courtyard of the Greek Orthodox Church next door. The long menu has all sorts of delicious Turkish specialties, which you can also choose by simply going to the kitchen for a look. You can order with your finger too..Try to finish with a dessert )))

• TugceAkpinar's Profile Photo

Haci Baba: Thank you!!!...

by TugceAkpinar Written Aug 4, 2007

As I'm the owner of the Haci Baba Restaurant I've read all off our VT customer's opinions. We make 70 kinds of Ottoman food everyday and I taste them one by one... As I'm a human being I can make mistakes If you have had any problems please share with me... Thanks for your attention...

Favorite Dish: kebab!!

• HalCarim's Profile Photo

Haci Baba: Dead overpriced turgid food and service

by HalCarim Written Apr 27, 2007

Hey, Turkish Food is Fresh!

So why bother to climb up the stairs to this tired set from the 20s with a buffet of past-due food swilling in oily bins and portions of overcooked expensive greasy food. Poor tired waiters, poor dusty pseudo-Ottoman setting, and so overpriced.

Head down a few hundred meters to Konak for atmosphere, clean food and cheap eats - so, no drinks there - but then have a fresh Ayran instead and dive after to your favourite bar with the money you've saved!

Favorite Dish: Glass of water - The only fresh ingredient I could find

• Haci Baba: A top recommendation turned tourist trap

by Viktor_lv Written Dec 30, 2006

This is a tourist trap par excellence. As of December 2006, this is a cold place with indifferent waiters and bland food that comes in small servings. My aoubergine meze came right out of the fridge. Nothing extremely bad, tobe sure, but there are plenty of places within a stone's throw that are much, much better in terms of both taste and atmosphere. Strangely this place gets extremely favourable revierws in many guide books. Spoilt by success, perhaps.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Haci Baba: The Best Meal I Ate In Istanbul

by Paul2001 Written Jun 13, 2006

I really enjoyed this place. It had a pleasant atmosphere and good food. Because it is very good, it is also very busy. This was virtually the only high quality restaurant that I ate in while in Istanbul (but not in Turkey). The service was good and spoke some English. Because of its close location to Taksim Square and many of the high end hotels, this restaurant is especially popular with tourists.
    Inspite of its location near the square, I got hopelessly lost trying to find the Haci Baba. This was because it was after dark and I had yet to figure out this section of Istanbul in daylight hours.

Favorite Dish: I had a very good kafta.

• Birsen's Profile Photo

Haci Baba Restaurant: Delicious Ottoman dishes

by Birsen Updated Mar 2, 2006

Haci Baba Restaurant

I have been at Haci Baba Restaurant in my last trip in November 05. We had an early dinner there with two friends. We ordered from their ottoman foods and a small bottle of raki. It was pretty good. Service was nice, workers were very helpful.

The good thing is, after you sitdown on your table you can tell the waiter that you want to see the food in the open kitchen which is inside of the restaurant and then you will let him know what dishes you want. He comes with you and if you have any question about the dish he helps you.

The price is average but definetely cheeper than Haci Abdullah which is 50 mt. distance from Haci Baba and also Haci Abdullah( same style food but more touristy) doesn't serve alchol.

Enjoy your lunch and later take a walk on Istiklal street towards "Tunel".I takes 30 to 40 minutes depend on how crowd it is.

Favorite Dish: Hunkarbegendi ( meat with pure eggplant)
    Incik kebabi ( lamb kebap)
    Ayva tatlisi ( quince desert)
    cigara borek { spring rolls with cheese)

• Singles

• baronedivandastad's Profile Photo

Haci Baba: Nothing to be excited about

by baronedivandastad Updated Sep 15, 2004

I read enthusiastic reports about this place. I disagree. The food is ok and the buffet is quite nice, but some of the stuff lacks taste, their beer selection is poor (and they had run out of some labels when I went), their turkish coffee was more like soup and the prices were way too high given the ambience. You can eat better for half the price in a similar ambience 50 m away. I don't recommend it.

Favorite Dish: Not sure about that. My least favourite was coffee.

Instant Answers: Istanbul

Comments

Hotels Near Haci Baba
3.0 out of 5 stars