Beyazit Mosque, Istanbul
Sultan Beyzayid II Mosque stands a good 10-15 minute tramway ride from Topkapi Palace and the Hagia Sophia/Sultanahmet complex, next to the Grand Bazaar and Istanbul University. It is a remnant of the early architecture of the Ottomans, having been constructed in the first decade of the 16th century, a mere 50 years after the conquest of the city. The fact that it is the largest mosque surviving, somewhat intact, from this era, means that it has a considerably important role to play in the cultural and architectural history of the city. It was reinforced against earthquakes in the latter part of the 16th century by the famous Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan, but has otherwise retained its initial style. The façade is colonnaded with the stone in hues of grey, red and green, and the mosque, designed by a poorly-known architect, appears to have borrowed considerably from the style of Hagia Sophia, especially in its interior. This resemblance can also be seen in the way that the domes appear to be cascading, with the main dome surrounded by smaller ones, and a further set of small domes capping the cloisters that go around the outside of the mosque. The entire mosque’s complex includes a number of other buildings, such as a madrese, royal tombs and kulliye, although some of these have since been converted to non-religious uses. The mosque itself, however, continues to function as a place of worship.
Beyazit mosque is one of the oldest in Istanbul, constructed in the year of 1505. Some time before Tauri forum was standing here (Byzantine times). The design of mosque was a copy both of Hagia Sophia (the dome) and Fatih mosque (also located in Istanbul).
Former madrassah at the moment houses museum of Turkish calligraphic art. Mosque’s buildings stand just near Istanbul university.
This was the second Imperial mosque to be built within Istanbul. Completed in 1506 by the order of Sultan Beyazid II, it is now the oldest surviving imperial complex since the oldest , Faith, built by his father Mehmet II, was destroyed by earthquakes and rebuilt in a completely different style.
The mosque was constructed of stone and marble taken from nearby Byzantine ruins and is found next to the main entrance to Istanbul University . Next to the mosque is a garden where the tomb of Bayzid II can be found. The Sahaflar Çarþýsý/Old Book Bazaar is located on the southeast side of the mosque – rents from the shops were originally intended to support the mosque. On the west side of the mosque is Beyazid Meydaný/Square which was formerly the Forum of Theodosius, the traditional center of Constantinople.
Bayezid may have played a role in the death of his father though some of Mehmet’s doctors were also implicated. Beyazid is remembered for sending his navy to Spain in 1492 to rescue Arabs and Sephardic Jews who were being expelled as a result of the Spanish Inquistion. He let the refugees settle in the Empire and made them Ottoman citizens. Chiding some of his advisers who spoke well of the Spanish monarchs, “You venture to call Ferdinand a wise ruler, he who has impoverished his own country and enriched mine!”
Istanbul's oldest surviving imperial mosque, Beyazıt Camii, was completed in 1506 on the orders of Sultan Beyazıt II (the first mosque was Fatih Mosque but it was rebuilt in the 18th century). Beyazıt Camii is located on the site of Theodosius's Forum Tauri, from which materials were reused in the construction of the mosque, including many columns. The architect was inspired by the Hagia Sophia's central dome plan and set the paradigm for future imperial mosques. Beyazit Camii is located between the main entrance to Istanbul University and the Grand Bazaar (Kapalıçarşı).
The Sultan Beyazit Mosque was built under Beyazit II, son of Mehmet Fatih, the sultan that conquered Istanbul in 1453. It was built between 1501 and 1506 by Yakup Shah bin Sultan and is the oldest sultan’s mosque that remains from the classical Ottoman architecture period. It shows the influence of the Haghia Sophia with its main dome rising between two flanking half-domes and its aisles without galleries. The dome was partially rebuilt after an earthquake in 1509, and Mimar Sinan conducted further repairs in 1573–74. The minarets burned separately in 1683 and 1764. An inscription above the courtyard entrance suggests that repairs were also conducted in 1767.
Outside the garden holds several turbes (grave monuments) of Sultan Beyazit II, his daughter Selcuk Hatun and grand vizier Koca Resit Pasha.
The Bayezit Complex was built by Sultan Bayezid II (1451-1512). It consists of a mosque, a religious school, a Turkish bath, a caravanserai, a hostel and a primary school. The mosque, main structure of the complex, has accomplished to be a major element in the site that it is like an open air museum, where the Ottoman Architectural works were exhibited. The inner court, which has a floor covered with marble and is too surrounded by domed cloisters, is opened into the main praying room.
It had a square plan with a dome of about 17 m in diameter and the weight of its dome, which crowns the ceiling structure of the mosque, is placed on four columns.
You can watch my 2 min 08 sec HQ Video Istanbul Sultan Bayezit d II Mosque out of my Youtube channel with Allah Akbar pray.
You can also watch my 3 min 53 sec HQ Video Istanbul Sultan Bayezit II Mosque in the evening part II out of my Youtube channel with Beautiful Qur'an recitation.
The Beyazit Mosque is one of the oldest large mosques in Istanbul, but doesn't get as many tourist visits as the more famous Blue and Suleymaniye Mosques. It was built in 1506 during the reign of Sultan Beyazit II. Its layout is similar to that of many other large mosques, with an outer courtyard containing a fountain (for ritual washing). The mosque itself has a large dome at its center, which is ornately decorated as in other Istanbul mosques. The main dome room is flanked by side halls that are also worth visiting. While not as beautiful as the central dome, their ceilings are still attractive.
On our first day in Istanbul we decided to walk down Ordu Caddesi to Sultanahmet. We soon came upon Beyazit Square and the large mosque that shares the space with the main gate to Istanbul University. It was built at the beginning of the 16th century and was the second imperial mosque in the city after Fatih Camii. We couldn't resist taking a peek inside as it would be the first time either of us had been in a working mosque. Entering through a gate leads you to the inner courtyard with the ablutions fountain (where worshippers ceremoniously wash before praying) in the center. Then you enter the prayer hall through a main entrance, taking your shoes off prior to entering.
While the exterior is a bit dark and unassuming (despite its grand presence in the square), the interior is the direct opposite. The prayer hall is a large open space with very high ceilings capped off by ornately-decorated domes. Stained glass windows allow in natural light an a series of circular iron standards hang from the ceiling with electric lamps that used to hold candles once upon a time. The colors and openness of the space is fascinating and the basic design is one that is repeated throughout other mosques in Istanbul.
The complex, which is scattered throughout Bayezýt Square, was built by Sultan Bayezid II and completed in the years 1500-1505. It was originally thought to have been designed by Architect Sinan Hayreddin or Architect Kemaleddin but later research suggests the architect may have been Yakubsah Bin Sultan.The complex is composed of a mosque, a kitchen, a primary school, a hospital, a medresse, a hamam, a soup kitchen for the poor and a caravanserai. It differs from the Fatih centre before it in that it was not built symmetrically but in a seemingly random style.
Bayezid Mosque is at the center of the complex, Its main dome is 16.78 meters in diameter and is supported by four pillars. An oddity is that one of the minarets in 79 meters from the other and is contiguous with the hospital. The stone and wood craftmanship and stained glass are artistic masterpieces. The courtyard paving materials and pillars used for the reservoir for ablutions were reclaimed from Byzantine ruins and re-used. These pillars in particular demonstrate the quality of Byzantine workmanship.
The soup kitchen and Caravanserai are to the left of the mosque and are used today by the Bayezýt State Library. The medresse far to the right of the mosque is used as a museum by the Turkish Foundation of Calligraphy. The hamam is some distance from the medresse on Ordu Street next to the Department of Literature.
Tombs are found on the Kiblah [Mecca] side of the mosque. Sultan Bayezid II, his daughter Selçuk Hatun and architect of Tanzimat Fermani, Mustafa Reþit Paþa, are buried here.
This 16th century mosque is the one you will find in front of the University’s main antrance, in Ordu Caddesi.
The patio has a beautiful fountain in the middle.
In the back you can find the 2nd Hand Books Bazaar.
Is the oldest imperial mosque in Istanbul
Like the Sezhade complex farther west, Beyazit Camii is among the most illustrious mosques in Istanbul not capping one of the Seven Hills. This vast structure sits in front of the entrance to Istanbul University, entirely blocking the view of the arched entrance from Divanyolu Caddesi.
You must notice the ceiling of this mosque. The architecture itself is so extraordinarily beautiful.
Inside Beyzayit Mosque, Our tourist group guide telling us about the historical background of this mosque.