Grand Bazaar - Kapali Çarsi, Istanbul

• Grand Bazaar - Kapali Çarsi
    by TrendsetterME
    by ValbyDK
    by ValbyDK
  • don't buy gold in istanbul grand bazaar

by AnnaL124 Written Jan 14, 2015

I bough gold in istanbul but when i returned home i found out it was fake.
    There are many gold shops in istanbul bazaar but it's all fake gold.
    Unfortunately most tourists aren't aware of this and always pay a too high price.
    If you want to buy real gold, go to a place where turkish people themself go, and not to a place where tourist go.
    Go with a turkish person to gold shops outside the touristic area so that they won't sell you fake gold.
    The turkish people are all playing with you and are only interested in your money.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Updated Oct 2, 2014

I remember going here with my husband. It is the sort of place he loves and I hate. We were trying to look around when a belt seller attached himself to us. He quoted a price for his belt. We said no. He then offered us five belts for the price he had said. We said no. He then offered us 10 belts for the price he had said and so on. In the end when he was offering us a ridiculous twenty-five belts for his starting price, Peter said, "They are probably plastic anyway." At which point the belt seller lost his temper, produced a cigarette lighter from his pocket and placed its flame against each of the belts to show they would not melt. We still did not buy them; we really did not want any belts.

My husband finds high pressure sales tactics funny and gets into conversation with the salesmen. I just find them annoying and operate on the principle, hassle me and I won't buy from you even if I want what you are selling. I would have liked just to have a peaceful look around the Grand Bazaar, but that never seemed to happen.

One thing I did quite like about the salesmen was they pride themselves on their linguistic ability and try to sell their wares to you in the language they think you speak, so they will approach people in Turkish, English, French, German, Arabic etc.

The Grand Bazaar is one of the largest and oldest covered markets in the world. It is made up of 61 covered streets and over 3,000 shops.

Construction of the Grand Bazaar started in 1455, shortly after the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople in the reign of Mehmet the Conqueror. Originally what is now the Grand Bazaar was several unconnected markets, but by the beginning of the 17th century these had joined together to form the Grand Bazaar. At several points throughout its history the Grand Bazaar has had to be restored or rebuilt following fires and earthquakes.

The Grand Bazaar.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

An Istanbul Must See But Buy Elsewhere

by Donna_in_India Updated Mar 16, 2014

You will either love the Grand Bazaar (Kapali Çarsi) or not. For as long as I can remember I have wanted to visit the Grand Bazaar. However, by the end of my trip to Istanbul, the Grand Bazaar would not even rank in my top ten Istanbul favorites. Of course, it is still a must see. Everyone knows the stats: one of the world's largest and oldest covered markets, 60+ maze-like streets with thousands of booth-like stalls selling everything from carpets to jeans.

Mehmet II established the Grand Bazaar in 1453. Over the years, it has been expanded, and restored after fires and earthquakes. Inside, the tiled arches were my favorite feature.

Although there are many entrance gates, the four main gates are: Oruculer Gate, Mahmut Pasa Gate, Nuruosmaniye Gate (by Nuruosmaniye Mosque, Cemberlitas tram stop), and Beyazit Gate (Beyazit tram stop). Inside you will find fountains, mosques, and many cafes if you need a break from shopping.

Haggling is the norm and for those of you(us) who don't enjoy it, I recommend shopping outside the bazaar. Prices quoted were at least 2 times, sometimes 3 times more than for the same item outside the bazaar. Although the bazaar is sectioned by type of merchandise you will be able to find trashy trinkets/souvenirs all over.

It is estimated that between 250,000 and 400,000 people jam the bazaar each day so get an early start. We were fortunate in that each time we stopped in at the Bazaar it was almost empty (unlike the very crowded Spice Bazaar).

My opinion might be in the minority, but I honestly thought the Grand Bazaar was uninspiring. It certainly was nothing like shopping at the Souks in Marrakesh, but more like shopping in a mall. But still, when you visit Istanbul, you HAVE to go to the Grand Bazaar!

Open Monday-Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Closed on Sundays

Be sure to pick up a map of the bazaar before exploring.

**Watch for pickpockets and bag-slashers.

Colorful Glassware, Grand Bazaar Carpets, Grand Bazaar Garments & Cloth, Grand Bazaar Shoppers in the Grand Bazaar Glassware, Grand Bazaar

• xaver's Profile Photo

Huge Souk

by xaver Written Jan 9, 2014

This covered market was built in 1461 and it can be considered a city inside the city. It's a huge labyrinth with 4000 shops.
    I have no tip on how to wander in this huge bazar but: get lost. I am not a shopping person and infact I just took a turkish coffe, but wandering through the small streets and squares of the bazar is indeed an experience. It's also not known as the cheaper place in town, so, buying stuffs here is not such a good idea.

Turkish coffe Bazar Bazar entrance

• solopes's Profile Photo

Classic Mall

by solopes Updated Dec 26, 2013

In my first visit to Istanbul, I was taken to the bazaar - "this is the bazaar, let's enter, be careful not to get lost... let's go out... it's seen".

Things are better when you are on your own, when you may decide where and when to enter, have the pleasure of loosing yourself with time to check what you like, feel the place and its surroundings.

I had it this time, and got a better idea. There´s not much difference between the bazaar and our malls in Sunday, only the exposed articles have a more eastern look.

Buying... well that's a different mater, you will have to bargain, but this time I was in REAL vacations - Fernanda was not there!

Time also to read that the bazaar has 4000 shops (or 1200), was built in the 15Th century and has 250 000 visitors a day (or 400 000 and me).

The shops are grouped by type of goods, and that forces competition and helps buyers, but also makes the images so repetitive, that a non-shopper as me may accelerate to exit.

Istanbul - Turkey Istanbul - Turkey
    • Archeology

• Torgut's Profile Photo

Depressing

by Torgut Written Nov 13, 2013

The Grand Bazaar and the surrounding area proved itself with this ability to sink my spirits. Every time I approached the area I started to feel sad and depressed. I thought about it. It must be the people there. And the most I thought about it the most I realized how men there look unhappy, aggressive, dark (and obviously I am not talking about their skin). I tried to remember a moment of good humor, a smile, and I couldn't.

Additionally, the tourist hunting, the dirty streets, the mess, the compact crowd. I tried to walk around for three times and every time I felt the need to get out of there as soon as possible. Exactly the opposite effect I got from crossing the Bosphorus every time I felt the need of a boost in my spirits.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Grand Bazaar food

by Martin_S. Updated Aug 5, 2013

Our friend suggested sitting down in this small side passageway to have lunch at a small restaurant...what do I mean by small...well it has TWO tables where 8 people can sit....anyway, the lunch was enjoyable and our friend picked out a typical lunch meal for us. If you want to look for this restaurant, sorry that I forgot to take the name, but just show this photo of the owner, I am sure any of the shops in the Grand Bazaar will recognize him.

Owner, cook and Martin, Grand Bazaar, Istanbul Lunch prepartaoin, Grand Bazaar, Istanbul

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

by ValbyDK Written Jun 9, 2013

The Grand Bazaar is one of the largest (and oldest) covered markets in the world! The construction started in the middle of the 15th century and has been enlarged during the past centuries. Today, the complex has around 60 streets and more than 3,000 shops which are visited by between 250,000 and 400,000 people daily. Yep, the Grand Bazaar is grand! And it also has two mosques, several cafés and restaurants, banks, and its own police station.

If you want to do some shopping you'll find almost anything here... gold and silver jewellery, watches, icons, water pipes, Turkish carpets, glazed tiles, and all sorts of other things... But remember to bargain! And even if you don't want to buy anything, the Grand Bazaar is worth a visit.

The Grand Bazaar The Grand Bazaar

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo

Grand Bazaar, Istanbul, TR

by TrendsetterME Written May 24, 2013

The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul is one of the largest and oldest covered markets in the world, with more than 58 covered streets and over 4,000 shops which attract between 250,000 and half a million visitors daily.

The grand bazaar began construction in 1455 and opened in 1461. It is well known for its jewelry, pottery, spice, and carpet shops. Many of the stalls in the bazaar are grouped by the type of goods, with special areas for leather coats, gold jewelry and the like.

The bazaar contains two bedestens (domed masonry structures built for storage and safe keeping), the first of which was constructed between 1455 and 1461 by the order of Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror. The bazaar was vastly enlarged in the 16th century, during the reign of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, and in 1894 underwent a major restoration following an earthquake.

Here you can see more photos of this amazing Bazaar on my "Travelogue" ... :
    Grand Bazaar

Today, the grand bazaar houses two mosques, two hamams, four fountains, and multiple restaurants and cafes. The sprawling complex consists of 12 major buildings and has 22 doors.

A for sure must see area for the Istanbul visits, for shopping, dining and enjoying the day .. :)

• mikey_e's Profile Photo

Centuries of shopping

by mikey_e Written Dec 6, 2012

It is only to be expected that the capital of the Empire would have a rather large marketplace or bazaar, and indeed the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul does not disappoint. This is a far cry from the chic, Europeanized storefronts of Istiklal Caddesi. The Grand Bazaar, also known as the Covered Bazaar, was first founded in the 1450s, as it performed an important function of accommodating the resumption of normal commercial activity following the Ottoman conquest of the city. It was constructed by the Ottomans and thus is entirely Ottoman in style and organization. While there have been various periods in which the market – actually two separate markets fused together – was devoted to various different types of merchandise, it is clear that the Grand Bazaar was always a hub for specific trades: textiles, leather goods, good, clothing, carpets, and luxury items. These were the preferred trades because of the difficulties in keeping the market lighted (it receives natural light through small windows only), increasing the cost of management of the space. The growth in the Empire and the relative attractiveness of Istanbul as an entrepôt for tradables meant that the market grew in importance and size over the 16th to 18th centuries, entrenching the merchants who were already present there. It fell on hard times in the 19th century, however, as the Empire waned and textile merchants in particular faced stiff competition from manufactured goods and European imports. It fell into real disrepair with the collapse of the Empire, and was only renovated and restored to its former glory in the middle of the 20th century. Today, the market still functions as a hub for its traditional traders, although much of the merchandise is cheap, lower-quality imports from China and East Asian countries. Nevertheless, it retains its initial air of exoticism, and is definitely worth a visit.

The Grand Bazaar Handicrafts section Carpets Iznik-style tiles Carpet shop

• Grand Bazaar = Grand Disappointment

by akiswhite Written Nov 15, 2012

I can't even begin to describe how let down I was by the Grand Bazar. Just about anybody that you talk to will describe it as one of the "highlights" of Istanbul and "an absolute must do". I couldn't disagree more.

The Grand Bazaar seems to be created solely for the purpose of taking money from tourists. It is not authentic and has none of that exotic, intriguing, mysterious feel that you would expect from one of the world's oldest markets. Rather, it is clean, proper, even fancy. Merchants pull every trick in the book to try to get you into buying something from them. Prices aren't just doubled or tripled from their real value, but are quadrupled, quintupled.. you get the point.

Maybe if I had went in with different expectations I would have appreciated it more. I was anticipating some wild, free wheeling outdoor market place like I have experienced in the Middle East and Africa - the Grand Bazaar has absolutely none of the qualities that made those markets so special.

• Bring your Camera & Leave your Money in Wallet

by HaikuDream Written Oct 20, 2012

The Grand Bazaar is exotic, colorful, vibrant, and a rip off.

DO:

DO Walk around and feel the city vibe.
    DO bring your camera and take pictures of the colorful lamps, charming trinkets, and vibrant charms.

DO NOT Spend your money here. Even when you haggle, and think you're getting a bargain, you are not. (Go to Kadkoy for shopping or other stores outside of the Grand Bazaar where locals shop)

Do NOT Talk to store vendors. They are friendly, want to strike a conversation with you, willing to give you directions, tips, advice....just to lure you into their store for the "best" prices. Don't do it, unless you want to pay for trinkets (made in China),for triple the price. Why encourage these greedy vendors by spending your money there.

• Women's Travel

• Joe-Kure's Profile Photo

Grand Bazar

by Joe-Kure Written Sep 25, 2012

Hi guys,
    I would like to tell you how fantastic Bazar is. I have never seen anything like that. Truth is, that the local sellers are little bit rude, but if you donť mind it, it is very good experience. Go there and try it:)

• JonathanSimmons's Profile Photo

Knowing the Right Stores

by JonathanSimmons Written Apr 10, 2012

The Grand Bazaar can be a bit overwhelming not only because of its size but also the adamancy of the shopkeepers. There are also a lot of options and sometimes I think it's useful for someone to tell you what the best stores are before you go there so you can head to those directly and not waste time with products that might not be of such great quality or at prices that are a ripoff (yes that happens too sometimes).

I've been living in Istanbul for a year and one of the most helpful guides that I turn to is a magazine called The Guide Istanbul. There are only a few publications in the city that are in English (including Timeout Magazine and the Hurriyet Daily News). But in terms of content the Guide is pretty helpful. They did a great article about the best stores in the Grand Bazaar and it's a nice break down of the worthy stores. One of my favorites is Sevan Bicakci who designs some of the most beautiful Ottoman inspired rings I have ever seen.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Inside The Grand Bazaar - Kapalicarsisi

by Mikebb Updated Mar 8, 2012

With approximately 6,000 shops and restaurants and 60 alleys in the Grand Bazaar it could take many years to gain full knowledge of the Grand Bazaar. The alleys criss cross, up and down hill, noise everywhere and always the possibility of being seperated from your friend or partner.

I said to my wife Istanbul had the Shopping Mall hundreds of years before Western Culture developed the idea.

We just walked and looked into the shops, our first purchase being a bag of beautiful Turkish Delight. Free samples are offered, but one taste was enough for us to purchase.

By our third visit 20 days after our first we had much more confidence. We even found a nice cafe for lunch, a feat in itself as people are waiting beside your table, wanting to grab it as soon as you leave.

The Grand Bazaar is a must see, however I believe we were 50 years late as the bazaar is now very much "upmarket" in many areas.

Spice Shop - Grand Bazaar Cushion Shop - Grand Bazaar The Main Alley - Grand Bazaar A Back Alley  -  Grand Bazaar Colourful Lightshade Shop - Grand Bazaar
    • Seniors

Instant Answers: Istanbul

• Aug 17, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Just another shopping centre in the guise of a market with the same old same old every 100m, very pushy bordering on offensive traders, no bargains to be had. I walked two corridors and by then had seen enough. The whole thing exemplified what a large part of Istanbul is about ie ripping the unwary off.

Hotels Near Grand Bazaar - Kapali Çarsi