Hamams, Istanbul

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

Best Hamams of Istanbul/Turkish bath

by traveloturc Updated Sep 22, 2013

Cagaloglu Hamami
    Sultan Mahmut I had this hamam built in 1714 (an area of 2834 sq.mt ) and it has separate sections for men and women.It is open everyday.hours for men are 07:00 - 22:00 and for women 08:00 - 20:00 hours. Discount is applied to groups of at least 10 people....

Prof. Kazim Ismail Gürkan Caddesi 34, Cagaloglu (Across from the Iranian Consulate)
    Tel: 0212 522 24 24

Çemberlitas Hamami
    Famous Architect Sinan, built Çemberlitas Hamam in 1584 was very popular among the Sultans and the sections for men and women are separated.Tea, coffee and soft drinks service are available. Discounts are applied to students and groups.
    Vezirhan Caddesi 8, Çemberlitas
    Tel: (212) 520 18 50

Galatasaray Hamami
    Galatasaray Hamami first built in 1481 by Sultan Bayezid II . There are separate sections for men and women. Tea, coffee and soft drinks services are available. The hamam can be rented for the day for the groups more than twenty. hours for women are 08:00-22:00 and for men 06:00-22:00. Turnacibasi Sokak 24, Galatasaray.
    Tel: (212) 252 42 42

Süleymaniye Hamami
    Süleymaniye Hamami is among the works of famous architect Sinan. It is recently restored and there are rumors that the well of the hamam heals hepatitis A. This hamam is among the rare ones where men and women have bath together. It is worth to visit even to see the magnificence.
    0212 520 34 10 / 11

Sofular Hamami
    This is a 16th century hamam with two-story dressing cabins and an elegant pool with fountain. There are separate sections for men and women. Tea, coffee and soft drink services are available.
    Fatih,(212) 521 37 59

Üsküdar Çinili Hamam
    This 15th century hamam is the oldest one in Üsküdar and therefore called "Eski Hamam" (Old hamam). The real name is sifa Hamami (cure hamam). There are separate sections for men and women and tea, coffee and soft drinks are available.
    Üsküdar, 216) 333 27 87.Tel: (0216) 333 27 87

Cagaloglu Hamami cagaloglu hamam cagaloglu hamami

• OH_DK's Profile Photo

Hamam (mixed) aka Turkish Bath

by OH_DK Updated Jan 18, 2009

It's absolutely a must try when you visit Istanbul.
    I went to this one with the name "Suleymaniye Hamam" and their services include: washing, peeling, soap massage, locked clothes changing cabin, towel (pestemal), slippers (takunya), and they offer two ways free shuttle service to your hotel (you must book through hotel reception).
    This place is a mixed (male/female) hamam, so it's a good place for families to stay together.
    The masseurs (tellaks) are trained and professional people.

I found this hamam a bit expencive, but the service was good and very interesting to see this old building inside.

History: The Sultan Suleyman had this Hamam built by the famous Architect Sinan in 1550.

The guy who directed me from the reception could even say something in Danish: "jeg elsker dig" (I love you) that he learned when he was in Copenhagen to watch Galatasaray play agains Liverpool ;)

• Luxury Travel

• magdaki's Profile Photo

the single mixed hamam of the city

by magdaki Updated May 22, 2006

I went to Istanbul with my boyfriend, just the two of us. We wanted to go to a hamam very much, only we wanted to have the experience together (to be honest, I was a little worried about fainting due to the heat, and not having anyone to help me, plus it's nice to have someone to talk to during all that time). Thanks to my little travel book, we managed to find the one and only mixed (i.e. both for males and females) hamam in the city, the Suleymaniye Hamam. It is part of the Suleymaniye complex, which includes the Mosque, the Mausoleum, the public kitchens, etc. As most of the buildings of the complex, it was costructed by Sinan, the famous architect of the 16th century, in 1550. If you book through your hotel reception, they will provide free transportation from your hotel and back, which comes very handy when you have spent an hour in steam and then had the most incredible body masage you could dream of. There was no way we could walk and look for a taxi after such relaxation :-) The atmosphere in the hamam was..out of this world, with light coming in the main room from the tiny openings on the dome and the thick hot air filling your lugs. I almost did faint, but I moved to a cooler room, and waited until the masseurs (tellaks in turkish) came for us. It costs 30 euros per person, more than average, but it has more facilities (eg hair dryer and moisturiser), it includes the transportation, plus you get to be with your sweetheart! :-)

enjoying some tea after the massage the changing cabin not hard to find at all the entrance hall
    • Spa and Resort

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Turkish bath

by mvtouring Written Oct 9, 2009

Visiting a hamman (turkish bath) is one of those things that I would really recommend. We struggled to find one that was open during the Ramazaan celebrations, but our hotel guy found this one in the old town that was operating. We were received by a young gentleman that explained the cost from 15 lire to 45 lire depending on what you wanted done. Then we were taken to the change rooms and handed over to the woman that was going to do the bathing and massaging. After changing into our bathers, we were taken to the steam room and shown to throw water over us. Then we were asked to come and lie on the marble slab in the middle of the room. After using a loofa and removing all dead skin, we had to pour water over us again to cleans ourselves. Then we were soaped down and massaged before taking a lovely dip in the pool just outside the steam room. Then it was back into the steam room for a while before being taken back to the change rooms. A really lovely experience.

• CeciliaL's Profile Photo

Turkish Bath

by CeciliaL Updated Aug 14, 2006

I was really nervous when I went there as I had never been to a hammam before. So I searched the net and tried to understand the 'customs'.

I went really early to avoid the crowd (and also to avoid embarrasement in case I was doing something really strange, hehehehehe)

First they asked me to 'cleanse' - which meant that I was sitting by the tap and kept pouring water on myself for 20 minutes or so. Then the woman masseuse came in and 'bathed' me - washing my whole body and was also doing exfoliation. Followed by a nice massage.

Then I relaxed a little bit in the steam room. Finally, enjoyed a cup of hot apple tea.

I felt great. And it also gave a nice start of the day. More energy to do a lot more walking and exploring. I would recommend anyone who is visiting Istanbul (or Turkey) to give a try.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo

Turkish Baths (of sorts)

by mrclay2000 Updated Mar 1, 2003

Before entering for prayer, Muslims are required to wash essentially whatever parts of their bodies will touch the carpets inside. Ablutions are required three times over, but few Turks seldom carry the requirements to the letter. Unlike a few of the other sadirvans around the city which are for form's sake only, the sadirvan at Fatih Camii operates as designed.

sadirvan, Fatih Camii courtyard
    • Religious Travel

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

Visit a hamam

by PierreZA Updated Sep 30, 2007

To visit a hamam is another wonderful highlight of a visit to Istanbul. There is quite a choice from which you can choose, eg Cemberlitas and Galatasaray. I do suggest to visit a hamam which is frequented by the locals, and which is less touristy.
    There are quite a few all over the city. It is less expensive.
    You usually start in the sauna which is the hottest, then move to the washrooms where an assistant will help, after which you can have a good massage on the marble slab.
    It is quite an experience.

Flag seller

• Aitana's Profile Photo

Suleymaniye Hamam

by Aitana Written Aug 9, 2008

Suleymaniye Hamam is placed on a hill facing the Golden Horn. It was built in 1550 by the architect Sinan as a part of the Suleymaniye mosque complex or Kulliyye.
    It consists of three sections, as usual: cold, lukewarm and hot. We were let clogs and towels. After relaxing and sweating in the warm room we passed to the hot room where we stayed for half an hour or more. There we could refresh with cold water. The wash and the massage were a good experience to us. Then we retired to a cooling room where we were served a cup of tea.
    When we went there were few tourists but for what I’ve read after, it seems that now it operates mainly to tourists.

• iilovepiink's Profile Photo

Turkish Baths

by iilovepiink Written Jul 27, 2005

You absolutely cannot travel to Turkey without having a hammam, or Turkish bath. Stay away if you are shy to nudity because all the locals and even the ladies scrubbing you down with a loofah that feels like a brilo pad will more than likely be topless if not totally nude. I recommend also that you have your hammam before you obtain a wonderful bronze tan from the Mediterranean sun, the loofah exfoliates your skin completely, leaving it silky smooth.

embarrassing, i know

• MM212's Profile Photo

Kılıç Ali Paşa Hamami

by MM212 Updated Mar 1, 2010

Part of the Kılıç Ali Paşa Complex, the namesake hammam (hamami in Turkish) was completed in 1583. In August 2004, the hammam was not in operation and the structure appeared in desperate need of restoration.

Kılı�� Ali Paşa Hamami - Aug 04

• Mixed Hammams in Istanbul

by cruelspacey Written May 2, 2008

Hey guys, i went to istanbul recently and wanted to visit a hammam after readin your comments and suggestions. I wanted to go their with my bf so i went to sulemaniye but it was quiet expesnive, then i discovered Sultan Ahmet Hammam, ideally located and that too has a section for couples. Actualy it has two sections women and men but in men sections couples are also allowed. i was therew ith my bf and it was an awesome experince, out of this world. There were different couples around but a lot of men as it was a men's section. BUt we felt comfortable as other ladies were also around. U can wear a two piece but it is recommended that you just wear the wrap around u r provided with, as it helps them bathe u properly. And u dont necessarily have to be shaved, a lot of women were nt shaved, but no one felt embarassed. A gr8 hammam and brilliant experience, you all must try.

• buna's Profile Photo

Enjoy massage in Turkish Royal...

by buna Written Aug 26, 2002

Enjoy massage in Turkish Royal Hamam
    You will feel like a king or a queen while you have a steam and hot water bath and a special hand made massage.with some extra money you can get some exta time and treatment

• maribelm's Profile Photo

Un baño en un Hamam, para...

by maribelm Updated Aug 26, 2002

Un baño en un Hamam, para conocer una tradicion del pais. Uno de los mejores y mas antiguos es el de Semberlitas, en el barrio del Gran Bazar. Si pides un completo te incluye el masaje y si estos te gustan te dejan como nuevo.

• 1princess's Profile Photo

Istanbul Hammam

by 1princess Written Aug 31, 2011

Hey, I went in March and I went to a hammami in Istanbul called Tarahi Galatasaray. All female staff, I dont think any allow men to massage women, or I never found any. This one is in Taksim. Its simple but I had a great time!

• 1princess's Profile Photo

Istanbul Hammam

by 1princess Written Aug 31, 2011

Instant Answers: Istanbul

• SatoM's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I am trying to find a hamam in Pera that was known as the Cinili Hamam (at least at one time). The inside is covered with beautiful tiles from Kutahya (made by my grandfather, which is why I am trying to find it. Does anyone have any leads on this? Thank you, Sato