Hammams, Istanbul

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

Best Hamams of Istanbul/Turkish bath

by traveloturc Updated Sep 22, 2013

Cagaloglu Hamami
    Sultan Mahmut I had this hamam built in 1714 (an area of 2834 sq.mt ) and it has separate sections for men and women.It is open everyday.hours for men are 07:00 - 22:00 and for women 08:00 - 20:00 hours. Discount is applied to groups of at least 10 people....

Prof. Kazim Ismail Gürkan Caddesi 34, Cagaloglu (Across from the Iranian Consulate)
    Tel: 0212 522 24 24

Çemberlitas Hamami
    Famous Architect Sinan, built Çemberlitas Hamam in 1584 was very popular among the Sultans and the sections for men and women are separated.Tea, coffee and soft drinks service are available. Discounts are applied to students and groups.
    Vezirhan Caddesi 8, Çemberlitas
    Tel: (212) 520 18 50

Galatasaray Hamami
    Galatasaray Hamami first built in 1481 by Sultan Bayezid II . There are separate sections for men and women. Tea, coffee and soft drinks services are available. The hamam can be rented for the day for the groups more than twenty. hours for women are 08:00-22:00 and for men 06:00-22:00. Turnacibasi Sokak 24, Galatasaray.
    Tel: (212) 252 42 42

Süleymaniye Hamami
    Süleymaniye Hamami is among the works of famous architect Sinan. It is recently restored and there are rumors that the well of the hamam heals hepatitis A. This hamam is among the rare ones where men and women have bath together. It is worth to visit even to see the magnificence.
    0212 520 34 10 / 11

Sofular Hamami
    This is a 16th century hamam with two-story dressing cabins and an elegant pool with fountain. There are separate sections for men and women. Tea, coffee and soft drink services are available.
    Fatih,(212) 521 37 59

Üsküdar Çinili Hamam
    This 15th century hamam is the oldest one in Üsküdar and therefore called "Eski Hamam" (Old hamam). The real name is sifa Hamami (cure hamam). There are separate sections for men and women and tea, coffee and soft drinks are available.
    Üsküdar, 216) 333 27 87.Tel: (0216) 333 27 87

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Enjoy a Hammam (Turkish Bath)

by Martin_S. Updated Aug 7, 2013

Cemberlitas Hammam, Istanbul, Turkey

Zohara took off with our friend, her sister and mom to enjoy a "warm" welcome in this traditional Hammam. Zohara described her day at the bath and says that is is something any person would enjoy. Sorry I cannot show her photos from inside the bath, they are XX rated ^O^ Basically the idea is that you clean yourself, then enter the bath area, which is like an enormous sauna. There you bask in the warmth of the heated water or in some areas mineral waters, letting the body sweat out its poisons. After a time you are soaped and then washed down by the Hammam workers and washed with clear water again. Zohara says you come out feeling totally refreshed. All the girls enjoyed the Cemberlitas Hammam.

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo

by TrendsetterME Written May 22, 2013
    Hurrem Sultan Hammam, Istanbul, TR

The Ayasofya "Haseki Hürrem Sultan Hamam" is amazing with its marbles and built for the Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent's wife in 1556. The Hamam was restored and reopened last year for outsiders to experience.

The Haseki Hürrem Sultan Hamamı is a Turkish hamam that was commissioned by Sultan Suleyman I's consort, Hürrem Sultan, and constructed by Mimar Sinan during the 16th century in Istanbul. It was constructed for the religious community of the nearby Hagia Sophia.

In 2007 Istanbul authorities decided to return the hamam to its original use after a 105-year hiatus and launched a tender for its restoration, won by a tourism development group. After a 3-year-long restoration project, the bath re-gained its glory and now being operated.

Strongly adviced to give a try to loosen your tiredness after a long days walk in Istanbul ..... :)

• mikey_e's Profile Photo

Haseki Hürrem Sultan Hamami

by mikey_e Written Dec 5, 2012
    The Hammam

I have fond, fond memories of the Haseki Hürrem Sultan Hamami, not least because I actually availed myself of its services. The structure was initially erected in the 1550s and was designed by the Ottoman’s most famous architect, Mimar Sinan. As hamam were an essential part of the civil infrastructure of Ottoman cities, this particular building was also designed and constructed with an eye to the earthly needs of the sacred community of scholars that had sprung up around the Hagia Sophia mosque. It contains the same series of small domes that are characteristic of any Ottoman hamam, as well as a larger one that tops the sharply geometric main hall, in which patrons would relax and chat with tea after their baths. In 2007, the Sultan Hürret Hamami was assigned to the Haseki Group, which spent $11 million to renovate and rejuvenate the facilities. It took three years, and today the hamam is once again used for its original purpose, albeit in a slightly different manner than the rest of the city’s hamams. The interior continues to make use of the original plan of services, with a central, massive room in which patrons are massaged, soaped and exfoliated on top of a heated stone by the attendants, and then washed off at fountains that line main room. In the reception area, however, there are modern massage tables, and the hamam offers packages for aromatherapy and other modern spa services, combining the best of traditional and contemporary luxury. It’s not cheap, but definitely worth the expense!

• Luxury Travel

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Cemberlitas Hamami - Historical Turkish Bath

by Mikebb Updated Mar 8, 2012

Cemberlitas Hamami

The photo tells the story, Cemberlitas Hamami has been operating since the year 1584.

We had caught the light rail to The Column of Constantine only a short walk to the Grand Bazaar. We walked past the hamami and I stopped to take a photo. Further research revealed it has been operating for over 450 years.

I am not into massage so did not return.

• 1princess's Profile Photo

Istanbul Hammam

by 1princess Written Aug 31, 2011

Hey, I went in March and I went to a hammami in Istanbul called Tarahi Galatasaray. All female staff, I dont think any allow men to massage women, or I never found any. This one is in Taksim. Its simple but I had a great time!

• 1princess's Profile Photo

Istanbul Hammam

by 1princess Written Aug 31, 2011

• lifeisatrip's Profile Photo

The real Turkish bath?

by lifeisatrip Written Jan 5, 2011

Although I wanted to go to a different Hamam, we ended up going to Cemberlitas just because it was right by the Grand Bazaar. After a day of shopping, what best way to relax but in a Hamami? The scrub itself wasn't anything spectacular; I could have done it myself, although it was a nice change. Short, however. I could have stayed in there longer, but it got crowded and so I felt rushed to my oil massage session.

• illumina's Profile Photo

Turkish Baths - Luxurious!

by illumina Updated Mar 19, 2010

The entrance hall to the men's area

If you go to Turkey and fail to experience the delights of a hamam, I can only say that you're missing out on something very, very special.

I went to the 16th century Çemberlitas Hamam for my birthday, and it turned out to be one of the highlights of my trip. Sadly they were too busy for me to have the massage with oils, but for 20 Euros I had the use of the "hot area" for as long as I wanted, plus a 15 minute scrub by one of the attendants.

Men and women are segregated, so there are two separate areas. You are given a towel and slippers, and you undress in the locker room, wrap the towel around you, and move into the warm room which is transitional to the hot bath room. There are water dispensers here if you get thirsty from the heat.

The bath room itself is lovely, with a beautiful domed ceiling with many stars cut into it to allow the light in (see my photo of the changing room ceiling, but with many more stars!). It has 4 little semi-private bathing areas where you can go and sit next to a fountain and scoop up cool water in the bowls provided and pour it over yourself - wonderfully refreshing in the heat!

The hot stone is in the centre of the room, right under the 'roof lantern', and you spread your towel out and lie down to enjoy the heat beneath you. After a while of relaxing and sweating, if you have a token for a scrub, the attendant will call you over, take your token (and soap and scrubbing mitt) and proceed to give you a thorough wash, including taking you over to the basins of water and washing your hair. The lady who washed me found it most amusing when I got soap in my mouth and had to splutter it out!

All in all, it was possibly the most luxurious experience of my life, and I fully intend to go back and get the full works including massage with oils at some point! I'm told that men might be treated a bit more roughly with lots of back-cracking involved, but being female, I couldn't say!

As you leave, you can buy some olive oil soap, and one of the bath mitts that they use there - a lovely souvenir.

• OH_DK's Profile Photo

Hamam (mixed) aka Turkish Bath

by OH_DK Updated Jan 18, 2009

It's absolutely a must try when you visit Istanbul.
    I went to this one with the name "Suleymaniye Hamam" and their services include: washing, peeling, soap massage, locked clothes changing cabin, towel (pestemal), slippers (takunya), and they offer two ways free shuttle service to your hotel (you must book through hotel reception).
    This place is a mixed (male/female) hamam, so it's a good place for families to stay together.
    The masseurs (tellaks) are trained and professional people.

I found this hamam a bit expencive, but the service was good and very interesting to see this old building inside.

History: The Sultan Suleyman had this Hamam built by the famous Architect Sinan in 1550.

The guy who directed me from the reception could even say something in Danish: "jeg elsker dig" (I love you) that he learned when he was in Copenhagen to watch Galatasaray play agains Liverpool ;)

• Luxury Travel

• Sirvictor's Profile Photo

The Hamam of Cagaloglu

by Sirvictor Written Jan 10, 2009

The Hamam was founded by Sultan Mahmut I to profit an income to the Mosque of Ayasofya in 1741. It is on the Yerebatan caddesi the Yerebatan Street between Sultan Ahmet and Cagaloglu districts. The hamam have women and men parts. The women part open at O8.00 and closes at 20.00. On the other hand men's hamam is open till 22.00. The hamam have all Turkish facilities with a sauna, bar,restaurant and cafeteria.
    The hamam was visited by many prominents: Florence Nightingale, Kaiser Wilhelm the II, Gianfranco Ferre, Omar Sheriff, Harrison Ford, Rudolf Nureyef, Cameron Diaz, Kate Moss
    The New York Times announced the hamam as one of the 1000 places to visit. The Guardian said it is the best hamam in whole world.

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

Visit a Hamam

by MikeAtSea Written Oct 5, 2008

Cagaloglu Hamami

A Turkish bath is something unique and any visit to Istanbul without a stop there is not a complete visit. My recommendation is the Cagaloglu Hamami close to the Haghia Sophia. This Hamam has been voted over and over again as the best bathhouse in Istanbul and I bare witness to it.
    Choose the Sultan Treat where you experience a massage, a full scrub, a hair wash and the enjoyment of the hamam. This particular hamam was given to the city of Istanbul in 1741 and during this long history King Edward, Kaiser Wilhelm, Florence Nightingale and many more were spoiled. This hamam has both a woman and man section.

• Elena_blue's Profile Photo

Cagaloglu hamam: Nice but not that nice...

by Elena_blue Written Sep 6, 2008

The typical turkish experience of hamam tailored to serve the tourists' curiosity. The surrounding is not extraordinary but it is still very nice with marbles and big patios.
    The complete service sosts about 30 E. You take the ticket and you are given a small cabinet whith a small bed, and hairdryer so that you can change and leave clothes there. The main hamam hall is all decorated with white marlbe, it has a dome. Full time there is about 1 hr, long waiting to become hot and swept and then a lady working there is taking care of you with bathing and massaging. Some women take their hamam with their bathing suites, some are totally naked, I prefered the latter. All women are looking around them with curiosity and maybe embarassment. I didn't see women to truly relax and enjoy.
    At the end of hamam, you return to your cabinet and you can take a tea to relax. A tip to the lady who took care of you is appreciated.
    On the overall if I reccomend it? I m a curious tourist myself and I enjoyed my first time there. On my next visit to Turkey, I do want to have hamam, at an original place though, where turkish women go there to enjoy it and not to satisfy their curiosity.

• Aitana's Profile Photo

Suleymaniye Hamam

by Aitana Written Aug 9, 2008

Suleymaniye Hamam is placed on a hill facing the Golden Horn. It was built in 1550 by the architect Sinan as a part of the Suleymaniye mosque complex or Kulliyye.
    It consists of three sections, as usual: cold, lukewarm and hot. We were let clogs and towels. After relaxing and sweating in the warm room we passed to the hot room where we stayed for half an hour or more. There we could refresh with cold water. The wash and the massage were a good experience to us. Then we retired to a cooling room where we were served a cup of tea.
    When we went there were few tourists but for what I’ve read after, it seems that now it operates mainly to tourists.

• Mixed Hammams in Istanbul

by cruelspacey Written May 2, 2008

Hey guys, i went to istanbul recently and wanted to visit a hammam after readin your comments and suggestions. I wanted to go their with my bf so i went to sulemaniye but it was quiet expesnive, then i discovered Sultan Ahmet Hammam, ideally located and that too has a section for couples. Actualy it has two sections women and men but in men sections couples are also allowed. i was therew ith my bf and it was an awesome experince, out of this world. There were different couples around but a lot of men as it was a men's section. BUt we felt comfortable as other ladies were also around. U can wear a two piece but it is recommended that you just wear the wrap around u r provided with, as it helps them bathe u properly. And u dont necessarily have to be shaved, a lot of women were nt shaved, but no one felt embarassed. A gr8 hammam and brilliant experience, you all must try.

Instant Answers: Istanbul

• SatoM's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I am trying to find a hamam in Pera that was known as the Cinili Hamam (at least at one time). The inside is covered with beautiful tiles from Kutahya (made by my grandfather, which is why I am trying to find it. Does anyone have any leads on this? Thank you, Sato