road traffic, Istanbul

Know about this?

• road traffic
    by alectrevor
    At the ultmate right of the road
    by pieter_jan_v
    Sorry, I have to exit!
    by pieter_jan_v
  • ophiro's Profile Photo

The drivers

by ophiro Updated Jul 24, 2005

traffic in Bagdat St.

To my opinion the drivers in Istanbul are the worst drivers i've ever seen !!!.

They are not careful , dont pay attention to the pedestrians and dont care about them.

If you want to pass on a street be extra careful and try to pass when other pass or when there is no traffic and always on a crosswalk.

They dont fasten their seatbelts , bikers ride without helmets , they dont signal when switching lanes , horn all the time.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Sunday traffic

by MalenaN Updated Aug 21, 2004

Sundays, when the weather is nice, it is very popular among people in Istanbul to spend the day along Bosphorus. If you are going to Ortaköy for example you should not be in a hurry. I walked between Ortaköy and Besiktas and moved faster then the traffic many times.

• KIZGINdamdakiKedi's Profile Photo

Minubus Drivers !!

by KIZGINdamdakiKedi Updated Jul 23, 2004

traffic is horrible in Istanbul.
    my suggest is dont jump front of cars if there is no traffic lights.
    Mostly of drivers are driving like a crazy like they have no rules, especially Minubus ( we just have it Turkey) they can be with yellow color or with any color. Bigger than Cab smaller than Bus.

hopefully, we wont have it anymore in 4-5 yrs untill the subway project will be done in anatolia side.

• Roads..

by mavi-tr Written Mar 27, 2004

Turkish drivers don't have a great deal of patience. Be careful to cross the road where other people are crossing and I'd recommend you don't attempt to drive here yourself if you are a tourist. Traffic police are everywhere.

• goga4444's Profile Photo

Fake traffic lights LOL

by goga4444 Updated Apr 14, 2003

lights

They are not fake all right , but almost no one respects it . People drive very fast, so when you cross the street , be very careful.
    We used to have similar situation here in Yugoslavia untill recently , now we have to respect the law LOL . So my basic instinct got back in Turkey ...I was thinking hmm , maybe I should put this tip on Local Customs section LOL

• Driving takes some getting...

by Grootpiet Updated Aug 26, 2002

Driving takes some getting used to. 3 rental cars and a police chase later I finally got the hang of it. This is the first place where people honk their horn at the policeman (everywhere) if he doesn't let their side of the traffic move, and he listens. Took me quite a while to adjust back to driving at home, how I miss it.

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo

The Highway Code!My advice...

by Geoff_Wright Written Aug 25, 2002

The Highway Code!

My advice to anyone visiting Istanbul is not to drive yourself - unless you are used to the traffic here. I would not say that the drivers here are dangerous, but there is a huge traffic problem. Even where there are lane lines painted on the highway, drivers will begin to make additional lanes between other lines of slow-moving traffic. Taxis and mini buses tend to pull out from side roads in front of the main traffic flow, and also suddenly pull across in front of moving traffic in order to set down or pick up passengers. This causes vehicles in that lane to stop suddenly, and that traffic merely pulls out into the outside lane, in front of the moving traffic! The rule of the road is that traffic entering from the right usually has priority. The second rule is that he who sounds his car horn loudest and longest has the right of way (lol). I have to say that I quickly became accustomed to the way of driving, and although I might say it was usually erratic, I don't think driving conditions are actually dangerous - unless you are driving as a tourist!

• alectrevor's Profile Photo

Traffic

by alectrevor Written May 29, 2009

Traffic seems to be never ending, so be careful even at crossings. I found Sunday morning the quietest. Down at Eminono always use the foot bridge over the road.

• Lion_Beat's Profile Photo

STOP

by Lion_Beat Written May 4, 2003

Stop

Before crossing any street, please take a good look around. There are quite a lot crazy drivers here! Just be carefull!

• School Holidays