taxis, Istanbul

by gettingmyownback
  • taxis
    by Djinn76
  • Many a
    Many a "Taksi" in Istanbul (Aug 2004)
    by MM212
  • pflewis123's Profile Photo

The Bill Switcheroo

by pflewis123 Written Jun 18, 2004

I thought it was just one dishonest driver, but then it happened in three different taxies in the same day.

Here's how it works: you hand the driver a 10 million lira note, he immediately hands you back a 1 million note, saying that you only gave him one million. Or you hand him a 20 million note, and he hands back a 250,000. There are so many zeroes on the notes that it's easy to get confused, and the cabbies are counting on this.

The best thing to do is carry small bills, count out your money carefully, and if they try to screw you over, threaten to call the tourist police. They will back down.

There are a lot of good honest cabbies, but plenty of crooks, too.

• orke's Profile Photo

taxi drivers

by orke Written May 18, 2004

just noticed exactly what bill u give him (the 1 and 10 mill looks alike) try to give them small bills

also if there is a problem just say "ill call the police"

know the place u r going to (so they wont cruise around all over town and also dont let them get u off the cab far from the place u r going to

ask for an aproximatly price b4 u get on the cab (and first try to find out what is the normal price)

• Taxi rip-offs

by mcockle Written Feb 25, 2004

Yes - I can confirm that GECE-night
    GUNDUZ-day is displayed on the
    taxi-meter so you can check. It's
    amazing how sunny it can be for
    'night'.

I also got caught by the 1,000,000TL
    rather than 10,000,000 scam - I gave
    a 10,000,000TL note - looked in my wallet
    to get out another 2,000,000 to find that
    the taxi-driver had swapped the 10 for a
    1million. I worked out later that this must
    have happened as I ended up with an
    extra 1million I didn't have before! What
    can I say - I was half asleep from an all-night
    bus journey...

Always count out all the money in your
    hand before giving over the full amount.

• Raffael's Profile Photo

Istanbul - Banknotes 20.000.000 =2.000.000

by Raffael Written Aug 25, 2003

PLEASE! Be aware when you take a taxi, as it happens twice to us. My friend before he has asked me 20.mil. liras and gave it to him, then later we took a taxi and i went out first till he pay..he payed but suddenly apears that he only gave 2.000.000 in case of 20.000.000? strange no! ,not at all, but i m not so easy,i was so sure something was wrong that i open the taxi?s driver door and discover he has droped there the banknote..when we went to the airport the same. So take care with taxi driver?s!. OK best luck

• grrl_travel's Profile Photo

Turkish taxis are generally...

by grrl_travel Written Sep 7, 2002

Turkish taxis are generally very safe, even late at night, however, the only slight negative I encountered was getting ripped off by a taxi driver. The amount was small so I didn't argue. And with one other driver I had to insist that I didn't want a full tour of the city and that I wanted to go back to my hotel.

If you are a woman, do NOT sit in the front seat of the taxi. It's considered inappropriate (unless the taxi is full, but if you can have a guy sit in the front it's better).

• Olgitka's Profile Photo

Dear tourist!I will say to...

by Olgitka Written Aug 26, 2002

Dear tourist!
    I will say to you: if you come in Istanbul in use Taxi please remember 2 words!!!
    GECE-night
    GUNDUZ-day
    that soo important if you are in Taxi to not loose some money in taximetr:)))there is diferend price and some driver make for you in day time -night taxi price:)))
    that words you can see in taximetr!!!
    'TAKE CARE'!!

• maribelm's Profile Photo

Desde el aeropuerto, si tomas...

by maribelm Written Aug 26, 2002

Desde el aeropuerto, si tomas un taxi para que te lleve a un hotel determinado, insiste bien en que te lleve al que tu indicas. Puedes llevarte la sorpresa de que te lleva al que el quiera para cobrar la comision.

• Kid-EZ's Profile Photo

A trip from the Airport to the...

by Kid-EZ Written Aug 26, 2002

A trip from the Airport to the main centre of Istanbul costs around $10, so stand your ground when some cabdrive tries to make you pay the same amout of money for a much shorter trip.
    A cabdriver tried to charge me $7 for driving over the bridge (from Galata) to the end of the tramline (only 800 meters) !

Instant Answers: Istanbul