Kadikoy Things to Do

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Kadikoy sculptures

by mindcrime Updated May 8, 2011

Altiyol

There are many sculptures in some streets but the most notable is Altiyol, a bull at a square that is an intersection of 6 streets (hence the name Altiyol), usually a popular meeting point for locals and nice spot for pictures. We saw many couples posing in front of it so we got one of us too :)

Walking around Kadikoy we saw some more sculptures, one of Ataturk of course (pic 3) but also a funny one of a crododile (pic 5)

• Architecture

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

by mindcrime Updated Apr 28, 2011

church of Agia Efimia

Kadikoy isnt conservative as Uskudar but there are many churches, synagogues and numerous mosques of course.

The only church we managed to check from inside was the orthodox church of Agia Efimia(Rum Ortodoks Kilisesi in turkish which mean greek orthodox church).

It is dedicated to the first female christian saint. The guard didn’t allow me to take any photos of the paintings inside the first time we went there but on 2011 a more friendly man allowed me to take one when we explained the reason. :)

• Religious Travel

Turkbalon

by ozalp Written May 15, 2007

This is it

This is a big, yellow balloon that you can see while approaching to Kadikoy port. It is near the Fast Ferry Port. It reaches 200m of altitude but does not wander around. And you can take photos of the view of Istanbul, especially Bosphorus from there. It was sent to Kapadokya (Goreme) but now a new one is ordered and preparing.
    It is nice to see the whole mess from above for figuring out Istanbul.

An Amsterdammertje in Kadikoy

by ozalp Written Apr 1, 2008

Amsterdammertje and pier

I realized this little fellow at November 24 of 2007. I walked around and examined it. I believed it is a genuine Amsterdammertje. Then I looked around and yes, I was in Kadikoy.
    I found it mysterious. I first thought it was an art work as a part of the last biennial. First I couldn’t reach any information. I went to see it whenever I passed to see it was there. I told people about it in search of someone who shares my curiosity.

Then one day Google saved my sanity and I found the answer. This was a gift from the workers of Amsterdam’s Municipality to Kadikoy Municipality. It was just simple. Also I’ve read that it has a plate to explain this but I couldn’t see any.

So, if you want to see an Amsterdammertje in Kadikoy, it is standing in front of Sehremaneti building across the Besiktas ferry pier. You’ll see it by the traffic light between Sehremaneti and pier.

Sureyya Operasi

by ozalp Written Jan 9, 2008

Fa��ade at night

There is a nice and old building over Kadikoy’s most famous street, Bahariye Caddesi. The street is full of shops and it is the main attraction of Kadikoy. It starts from the famous bull monument at Altiyol. After a short walk starting from the sculpture, you’ll see the building I mentioned on your left. It was using as a movie theatre until 2005. I’ve seen many movies here. It was the most beautiful movie theatre of Istanbul according to me, now it is the most beautiful opera house of Istanbul
    It was a dream of Sureyya Ilmen and built in between 1924 and 1927. Its design was inspired from the European Opera Houses. Opera building was named after Sureyya Ilmen as Sureyya Opereti. It had been used as a movie theatre for years and it renovated as an opera building again, now. Its re-opening was at 27-28th of October, 2007. There will be 3 opera performances per week here from now on.
    Inside of the building is decorated with many sculptures and frescoes. During renovation, these art works has been cleaned, structural system has been strengthened, some facilities has been added… And now we have an old, beautiful and brand new opera house in Kadikoy.
    If you have time for Anatolian side, I recommend you to see it.

If you'd like to buy tickets online, here is the web site:

You have to sign in before searching for performances, but unfortunately there isn't a language option.

• Theater Travel
    • Music

Instant Answers: Kadikoy

Comments

Kadikoy Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Kadikoy things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kadikoy sightseeing.