Places to eat in Istanbul Ili

Dinner on white beds!
    by sevimgarip
  • Modern-day view down the Golden Horn from cafe
    Modern-day view down the Golden Horn...
    by mtncorg
    View from Imbat Restaurant, Istanbul
    by ainsleigh

Most Viewed Restaurants in Istanbul Ili

• June.b's Profile Photo

Fish Restaurants in Karakoy.: Reasonably-priced seafood restaurants.

by June.b Updated Apr 5, 2013

If you’re craving for seafood and don’t want to spend that much, there’s a better alternative to the expensive seafood restaurants under the Galata Bridge.

I forgot the name of the specific restaurant I took lunch twice, but it’s located beside the fish market at the foot of the Galata Bridge on Karakoy side.

Walk past those restaurants under Galata Bridge, they're fancy but expensive, until you reach the end of the bridge and you’ll be in Karakoy district. There's a fish market beside the Turyol (Karakoy-Kadikoy-Uskudar) Iskilesi (ferry port), and there are restaurants just after the fish market, some of them have tables and chairs facing the mighty bosphorous, some indoor dining, some outdoor.

I think I ate at the one in the middle. Very affordable meals, the trout costs TL12 or 15 including a cola.

The second time I went there I chose a plate of small fish that I envied those locals enjoying eating couple of days before, they’re very tasty costs only TL10 for a whole plate of more than a dozen of those 4-inch fish. Served with some salad and bread. Yum!

If you’re coming from Sultanahmet, take the tram and get off at Karakoy stop and walk to the fish market on the other side of the road. From Istiklal Avenue / Taksim, take the funicular tram at the Tunnel at the end of Istiklal and cross the street to bosphorus side, the fish market is there.

Favorite Dish: Fish. What else? Ah...shrimp, squid.

The fish market beside the restaurants This is the fish restaurant open-air dining area View of the bosphorous Fish Market. It's in this area

• CengizK's Profile Photo

izi burger: Best burger in town!

by CengizK Written Nov 19, 2012

Probably the best burger in Istanbul.They have 5 different burgers like izi,mexican,laz,hangover and vegeterian.We had izi and hangover both were delicious.The owner izi and his partner are really helpful and fun people.You may also have your beer on side!

Favorite Dish: izi and hangover

• Motorcycle

Sar Lokantasi: Local Eatery - Lokanta

by June.b Updated Jul 9, 2011

Six years back when I first came to Istanbul, I already spotted this local eatery (lokanta), I took several meals from here and since then whenever I come to Istanbul and stay or drop by Grand Bazaar I always eat delicious local fare at Sar. Lokantasi (pronounced SHAR).

Back then, I only saw very few tourists dining in, now and may be recently there are lots of torists - asians and europeans hanging out on the second floor salon. That's because their food is delicious and very affordable, aside from very sanitary, and most of all you don't have to wait, get your tray and just point at what food you want from the display - am not a fan of fine dining that starved me from waiting. Add to that the friendly staff.

It's located just opposite the Grand Bazaar entrance on the other side of the road beside the Beyazit Tram Station.

*Update: when I dine in recently (June 2011), they looked like they've became popular that the food costs a bit more expensive than it used to be, i.e. I used to pay less than TL10, now it was almost TL20 for the same set of meals. And it has lost its local-eatery feel to the place, it became like geared more towards the tourists lot.

Favorite Dish: kebab, many i don't even know the name.

SAR Lokantasi

Makarna Sarayi: Cheap pasta, mezzes, doner, shawarma

by June.b Updated Jul 9, 2011

Dine in or dine al fresco, the Makarna Sarayi is a tourists' favorite restaurant. They have two floors (or 3?) indoor dining, lots of spaces, and there are about 3 tables just along the street in front of the restaurant if you feel like watching people while dining -- or being watched(?), or order a doner or shawarma and seat beside the podium of the Column of Constantine which is just beside the restaurant.

They serve pasta sort of neopolitan with different shapes that you can mix and match, mezzes are mixable too. There's a sharma just beside the entrance and fresh squeezed orange juice or pomegrenate. Variety on meals on display. Very reasonably priced and budget-friendly.

Meals costs an average of TL8, pasta 4.

Staff are friendly.

Favorite Dish: pasta, mezzes

it's beside this column of constantine

• marktynernyc's Profile Photo

Boncuk Resrtaurant (Bekir Anik): great place for friday or saturday night.....

by marktynernyc Updated Apr 4, 2011

Located on Nevizade - if you have trouble locating this street just ask. We went on  Friday night - the whole area was jam packed with people - real riotous scene - quite fun and light hearty. Yes, you will be approached by numerous restaurants asking you to dine at their establishment. I can't tell you about the quality of the other places.There is seating outside at Boncuk but I don't believe they take reservations - just get there early on a friday or Saturday night. We ordered a flurry of mezes, salad (my friends thought the dressing was a bit too vinegary but the produce was very good) and a bottle of raki. The calamari here was doughy and chewy. Mezes dish prices ranged from 2.000.000 to 6.000.000.  For the life of me - I can't remember if we had main dishes - I just remember us devouring the mezzes, mainly because we had been with guides all day and were ravenous.

• marktynernyc's Profile Photo

Tugra: dine in a palace

by marktynernyc Updated Apr 4, 2011

This hotel is huge - does not have the intimate scale that the Four Seasons has but it was a palace in it former life.  Situated on the bosphorus - -live farsi music playing. My friends and I did the tasting menu (89.000.000 TL). The quality of the meal was very good - the service was attentive. Jacket was required yet numerous people arrived casually dressed - which may have detracted from the evening. The Turkish Merlot we had was fantastic. Make sure to walk around the grounds. I believe there is also a Sunday brunch outside on the terrace

Favorite Dish: Pan-fried “lor” cheese sauteed with black olives and char-coaled red bell pepper; Ottoman style braised lamb with dried plum and apricot, served with pilaf rice ; sea bass, dorado and grouper cold stew prepared with Ottoman style garnishes

Tugra

• Tuna_ank's Profile Photo

Pita kuzguncuk: Local food at nice small restaurant

by Tuna_ank Updated Mar 19, 2011

It is very small, simple but nice restaurant. After you walke around nice houses of Kuzguncuk you may rest at this cute restaurant and eat delicious local food. I especially advice for the breakfast.
    Open Mon –Fri 7.30 – 8pm, weekends 8-8pm. No alcohol

Favorite Dish: Fasulye+pilav

Kuzguncuk houses Greek church at Kuzguncuk Kuzguncuk houses Kuzguncuk houses

• Penelope4's Profile Photo

Kalamar Restaurant: Known in Istanbul for its fresh seafood!

by Penelope4 Updated Jan 9, 2011

My friends and I asked the owner of the beauty salon we visited for one of the best seafood restaurant in Istanbul They recommended that we go to Kalamar Restaurant. When we found the street and asked some folks if they knew the restaurant, everybody seemed to know it and in no time, we were inside the restaurant. The place is frequented by locals and a few tourists who most likely have heard about this place. The food is grrrrreat! We even had live music (the guests joined the musicians who came in).

Favorite Dish: all the sorts of fish we ordered! and we had scampis too.

• Kumkapi Restaurant: the best fish restaurant in istanbul

by gencsehzade Written Jan 6, 2010

Istanbul: Kumkapi fish restaurants are located in the center set up on the meat and fish restaurant Kumkapi are trying to give the best service. Spouse rare freshness and flavor of seafood you can find every kind of restaurant Kumkapi.

Quality service with fish, seafood, specialty appetizers and drinks with desired size peaceful hours we can live.

Here let's celebrate together on Kumkapi Restaurant...

• Castles and Palaces

by gencsehzade Written Jan 6, 2010

Istanbul: Kumkapý fish restaurants are located in the center set up on the meat and fish restaurant Kumkapý are trying to give the best service. Spouse rare freshness and flavor of seafood you can find every kind of restaurant Kumkapý.

Simit Sarayi: A local cafe serving the institutional Simit bread

by June.b Written Oct 14, 2009

I consider this as the local cultural version of Dunkin Donuts, only difference is, they serve the local doughnut called Simit - a round bread covered in sesame seeds. It's crisp, crunchy and chewy that goes along well with your coffee or tea.

Simit Sarayi has a lot of branches all over Turkey (now in Cyprus) and serves other types of breads, crepes, cakes, variety of hot and cold bev.

There is a really nice Simit Sarayi corner few strides from Cemberlitas Hamam where they have antik wooden tables and chairs outside under a shade of crawling plants (grapes i think?). See pix.

Good coffee, tasty simit, nice people.

Favorite Dish: Simit...of course...and coffee....hmmm...and tea...and cakes.... and..

• Photography

• June.b's Profile Photo

Doner Kebab: Shoestring budget meals!

by June.b Updated Oct 14, 2009

Turkish dishes are really a treat and there are plenty of restaurants and diners everywhere.

But for budget travellers you can always splurge on diners during evenings, and you can always take a 1 to 3 YTL Doner (or Shawarma sandwich) to go! Add a 1YTL soda and lunch is already solved. That is if your hotel is serving breakfasts that goes with their rates.

Their shawarmas are tasty and big for a full meal!

Or... don't be ashamed going in the small local restos that serves delicious kebabs and other turkish dishes, fish or meat... french breads are free.... it's affordable from YTL 5 or 7 and up (or US$3.75 or Euro3.1 & up)

Favorite Dish: Note: October 2009 I was in IST and found that the scene in the picture here is longer existing as they reconstructed this part of the road, so the Doner and sandwich shop is longer there. But the Shar Lokanta is still beside it and serving really good local food.

Doner, Kebab, Hamburger @ 1YTL
    • Photography

• Penelope4's Profile Photo

Kupa Restaurant & Bar: Nice lunch under the Galata Bridge!

by Penelope4 Updated Sep 26, 2009

I got off the tram at Karakoy Station to enjoy the view of the Golden Horn et al. The fish market below the street caught my attention and when I looked under the bridge, I saw inviting restaurants. It was just perfect as it was lunchtime and I wanted to just enjoy the moment. Inspite of the baits that fishermen from time to time throw at the water which I happened to notice, only boats and passerby distracted the beautiful view! Oops, I have to mention the restaurant and food too eh? The waiter was super attentive. He speaks Russian better than English but I got what I want: fish!!! Bread was also served while waiting for the main course. The owner of the restaurant also made sure that everything was okay. The beer had the perfect temperature and when I had my fish all I could do aside from giving a good tip was to take their card and post this. Please remember, there are restaurants on both sides. Knowing the Turkish restaurants, I am sure you will have a good time no matter which one you choose.

Favorite Dish: I've only been there once. I asked for a huge grilled fish with lemon and some vegetables and I ate it all.

the restaurant I've been to is right there view from the restaurant as you pass by the restaurant

Istanbul Ili Hotels

47 Reviews - 110 Photos
Ortakoy Hotels
1 Review - 3 Photos

Instant Answers: Istanbul Ili

Comments

Istanbul Ili Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Istanbul Ili restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Istanbul Ili sightseeing.
Map of Istanbul Ili