Sile Shopping

• Sile
    by Tdiver
  • Sile cotton clotes (right). Car window a bit dirty
    Sile cotton clotes (right). Car window a...
    by ruffen
  • Sile
    by Tdiver

Most Recent Shopping in Sile

• Almost all stores - I bought them from farmers: Localy grown Findik - Hazelnuts

by ruffen Updated Mar 25, 2005

Local women 'cleaning' hazelnuts in Sile

You can buy hazelnuts in almost every litle kiosk and grocery shop in turkey. I knew that Turkey grow a LOT of Findik (hazelnuts) but I had never before seen it been 'cleaned'.
    While the car was washed at the petrol station, I was curious to see what was on the other side of the road..... and found two ladies 'cleaning' nuts. My turkish friend ofcourse bought one kilo and so did I. I also wanted some of the nuts with the 'dried flower leaves' on them. A bit hard for the ladies to understand that a foreigner tourist wanted some nuts un'cleaned', but my turkish friend told them I was norwegian and had never seen 'naturel' nuts before.
    They laughed and probably looked more at me than I did at them :)

What to buy: Hazelnuts - Findik in turkish

What to pay: I payed what they first asked for (which was about normal shop price). Could have haggeled, but as my friend said when I wondered about giving the kids some money "just give what they asked for and they will be happy". When they sell to big buyers they don't get the same price pr kilo.

• Several shops in main street: Sile Fabric - cotton fabric made in Sile

by ruffen Written Mar 25, 2005

Sile cotton clotes (right). Car window a bit dirty

I was not planning on shopping here - it was my friend that told me Sile is famous for its special cotton woven fabric.
    While in the street, the shops displaying clotes in front of their shops looked like any shop all over Turkey. BUT when touching the fabric, I understood this was some special cotton fabric.
    Quote;
    "The most important cultural object which presented Sile to the world is "Sile Fabric". Sile Fabric is a value proper to Sile, woven with cotton yards on hand looms. Its authentic character allowed it to be named so. Various kinds of clothes are tailored by Sile Fabric and they are very healthy thanks to their ability to absorb the sweat."

What to buy: I tried first a shirt.... and was 'sold'!!! So comfortable and "airy" to wear. The fabric is a bit "bumpy" and very light weight. Mostly natural colours, but also some dyed in bright fresh colours... turquise was lovely :)
    I even bought a long dress (I hate long dresses normaly) and a lot of childrens short sleeve (T-)shirt. Sizes was from 2 yo and up.

What to pay: Can't remember - but not too expensive considered the quality. AND a must buy since it's made only in Sile !!! Great useful local souvernir.

• Beaches

• Tuna_ank's Profile Photo

All shops, factory shops: Sile bezi

by Tuna_ank Updated Jul 7, 2008

Sile bezi

I always buy some Sile bezi blouses or dresses from there. Very good for hot weather. Not only women things, for everbody.

What to pay: Cheap

• Tdiver's Profile Photo

by Tdiver Written May 19, 2007
    Sile

Many shops in the local area selling Sile cotton blouses and the like, perfect for those hot sticky nights.

• Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Sile

Comments

Sile Shopping

Reviews and photos of Sile shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sile sightseeing.