Selcuk Restaurants

• Selcuk Castle at sunset taken from my balcony
    Selcuk Castle at sunset taken from my...
    by toosahn

• solopes's Profile Photo

Socialist Party: Political meal

by solopes Updated Dec 31, 2013

Selcuk - Turkey

Now, let me tell you a story:

In my first visit to Turkey arriving to Kusadasi by boat from Samos, we were asked to pay a price for a guided visit, and dragged to a line of buses, without any details about where to go except the visit to Ephesus, and who was leading us.

The visit was well planned, the time as used as possible, and by lunchtime we were taken to a confuse and ugly place in Selcuk where we ate... something, that was described as a mix of four local dishes, that didn't make justice to Turkey's food.
    The visit continued and we were dropped in the harbour just in time to enter the boat back to Greece.
    Looking at the picture took at the "restaurant"'s entrance, I read "Social Democratic Party".
    What a strange tour operator...

• toosahn's Profile Photo

Cafe Carpouza: Great hangout, cold beer and hot elma fries!

by toosahn Written Feb 8, 2012

Cafe Carpouza

Cafe Carpouza is actually owned by the belediye (local government) and they have a great selection of drinks - coffee, tea, beer, juice - and my favorite - elma fries! Elma is the Turkish word for apple, and this refers to the way the potatoes are sliced. In the US we call them 'home fries' or 'steak fries'. They are hot and crispy and delicious! They also serve salads, sandwiches, and in summer, lovely ice cream. It's not expensive and it is a great place to spend an afternoon with friends. It's right across from the Selcuk hamam and police station.

Favorite Dish: Crispy, fresh, elma fries with an ice cold Efes beer!

• toosahn's Profile Photo

Cop Sis near small mosque: Meatball Sandvich - YUM!

by toosahn Written Feb 8, 2012

I cannot remember the name of this cop sis place, but it is near Cengiz Topel Caddesi, but on the busy main street through Selcuk. It is beside the small mosque and has an outdoor seating area behind it, covered in vines. It serves mostly locals, their English is not so good, but a lot of tourists go there as well. They specialize in meatballs, cop sis, and meatball sandwiches, which are my favorite! Their salads, which come standard with every meal, are also excellent and they have lovely, fresh bread. Everything is under 10TL. My favorite meatball sandwich is huge and is only 5TL. Their beef is fresh and they use beef, not a little bit of mince mixed with bread. Great spices make for a great meatball! I am not crazy about the cop sis (small bits of beef on a stick), but some locals say this place has the best. It just wasn't my thing.

Favorite Dish: The meatball sandwich is served on a half loaf of fresh bread, lots of meatballs seasoned to perfection, and fresh vegetables of your choice. Mustard, mayo, whatever you want. Only 5TL. Such a bargain!

Efe Pide: Best Pide in Town

by toosahn Written Feb 6, 2012

Selcuk Castle at sunset taken from my balcony

Efe Pide is on the main road that runs through Selcuk - the big four lane road, not the pedestrian streets. It is across the street and down a bit from St. John's Basilica, in the direction of Izmir. It's a place for locals, but some tourists find there way there as well. I lived in Selcuk for a year and ordered my pide from Ali at Efe Pide because his was the best in town and he delivered to my house! It's cheap, it's good, service is fast, and there is no hassle from shop owners because he is not on the tourist streets. Ali doesn't speak English, but it doesn't matter. Some of the waiters know a bit of English and the menu is in English. Pide is not the only thing on the menu. He has several other traditional dishes as well.

Favorite Dish: Mince meat pide and I always ask him to add a bit of crushed red pepper to make it spicy! Crispy crust, fresh, a bit of spice. Perfect.

• Tdiver's Profile Photo

Le Jardin: Friendly

by Tdiver Updated Apr 4, 2011

Le Jardin cafe restaurant,Siirince.

We were there out of season but got a good welcome,warm and friendly.Wooden build made it feel warmer.We had soups, grilled kebabs, rice and pasta all good.With a few warming drinks we enjoyed it.Check their web site for more.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Malecka's Profile Photo

General info on restaurants

by Malecka Updated Dec 21, 2010

Maria eating

AH, FOOD IN TURKEY... I should put it as “what is your fondest memory” of Turkey in every single tip.
    Look... There are too many stories going around about how: “the european (read west-european) stomachs cannot handle the Turkish food. It is major BS if you ask me. All the places, and I mean ALL, that we visited and sat down to have a meal at were absolutely great. I love their salads, as I was told (since I am a vegetarian) their meat (meatballs, the shish-kebab which is made with lamb meat, the chikcen kebab, the beef) was great, the bread that they serve is tasty... so please, do not freak out and by all means AVOID any of the famous fast-food chains if you happen to see one.
    Two people can have a pretty decent meal for 15 turkish lira, which is 10 euros, drinks included if they drink ayran. If one wants a beer, then the price goes slightly up. Let’s say that between 15 and 20 turkish lira you really can enjoy a great meal, in most Selchuk restaurants.
    A slightly cheaper version is if you eat PIDE or turkish variation of a pizza. I LOVED the vegetarian one. I loved it.

LOOK AT THE PHOTO - Doesn't my facial expression tell you everything?

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Fisherman: Traditional music thrown in

by Willettsworld Written Mar 7, 2010

This is a very nice restaurant in the town centre where I actually had a pizza and not seafood which features mostly on the menu. There were a couple of guys playing and singing inside at a table beside mine whilst I ate which added to the atmosphere but I don't think this happens every night. Good food and entertainment thrown in for good measure.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Namet Kofte & Pizza Cafe: Fast food

by Willettsworld Written Mar 7, 2010

This is a fast food place in the town centre where I sat outside for lunch and had a good Doner kebab sandwich. They have a menu that consists of the useful fast food dishes such as burgers, pizza, kebabs etc. Very well priced as well.

• June.b's Profile Photo

Ice cream parlor in Selcuk: Local Ice Cream - dandurma

by June.b Written Oct 12, 2009

What's with ice cream and tourists? or what's a tour without an ice cream, i'd say an icecreamless tour!

My palate is craving for sumthin sweet and i passed by this huge picture of ice cream in the morning so i went out looking for it before we left Selcuk in the afternoon. I found it near the municipality/belediye building beside a painting and frames store and some furniture shops. The ice cream parlour is owned by a nice old man.

2 tables and chairs outside, so we ordered 3 cups and sat outside while waiting for our bus. TL5 a cup and really tastes good, kinda chewy like most turkish ice creams, though the hard bits - maybe cacao or its cover in the ice cream annoys me.

Favorite Dish: dandurma

• Photography

• June.b's Profile Photo

Kofte restaurant in lienz cad i think: Kofte and kebab

by June.b Written Oct 12, 2009

There's a kofte restaurant very near to the mosque along a very quaint street, chairs and tables along the clean street with shades in the mid of the town. I did not remember the name (juz as anyone else) but ehy serve good lamb kebab and sliced beef. Price is very reasonable around TL10 for a meal including soda. We ate there twice.

• Photography

• balhannah's Profile Photo

AYASULUK RESTAURANT: Excellent food, Excellent price!

by balhannah Written Jul 15, 2009

Selcuk Mall

This Restaurant is located in the Mall in Selcuk. You can eat indoors or outside. I chose outside. The Menu had plenty of choice, I particulary liked it, because I was missing my Steak, and Steak was on the Menu. The meal was nice, it was steak, and it was Tender! Cost was 8t/l and a cup of coffee, 3t/l, for a very nice meal.
    Returned again, and this time had a Mixed Grill, once again very nice, all meat tender, and cost 9t/l.
    This was the most popular restaurant in the street, and there were many. I noticed that quite a few were locals, always a good sign.
    I was going to have lunch there one day, and it was closed, so I guess it is only open for evening meals.

Ege nin Sofrasi: 2002 Award Winner

by nicolaitan Updated Nov 14, 2008

This local Sirince restaurant offers good quality for a modest price in a friendly environment. Nothing fancy here. Relatively deserted on a chilly October evening, there were two tables occupied, one by an English couple and the other by local trade.
    A display near the kitchen offers a selection of small plates with mostly vegetables of which we sampled a few, tasty and perhaps a bit oily. For entrees, we went with kebabs and found ourselves with huge plates of adequate relatively bland meat and chicken kebabs with an assortment of vegetables. A typical fresh salad with great tomatoes (as usual) was included. Beer (Efes) is available. Portion sizes are large and we ended up with a lot more food than we needed.
    Ege nin Sofrasi offers a good choice for reasonable priced dining, with a terrace overlooking the main street available for warm weather dining.

Artemis: Classiest Restaurant in Sirince

by nicolaitan Updated Nov 13, 2008

Main Entrance

Generally recognized as the superior Sirince dining experience, Artemis Restaurant occupies a 200 year old schoolhouse overlooking the village and the neighboring hills and valleys. Entrance is through a park like setting with fountain marred only by the obligatory wine store and souvenir center, one flanking on each side. In season, dining can be on a terrace or in the park in front of the building. The first floor contains several large dining areas for groups and is decorated in traditional style. The main dining room is in the basement, called the Cellar Hall, and again with traditional decor set with widely spaced tables and booths.

Nice restaurant, nice meal - service and ambience are as good as it gets in Sirince. Service was modestly professional. Beer, wine, and raki are of course available, the wines including local reds and whites as well as a wide assortment of local produced fruit wines ranging from raspberry and apricot to sour cherry, strawberry, and mulberry. The bread basket is excellent, flat bread baked with spices and olive oil, served with the appetizers. The menu is wide-ranging with soups including eggplant, salads, filled flatbreads, and entrees including casseroles and kebabs. We had salads with entrees of kebabs and meatballs ( it is easy to become very fond of the spicy Turkish meatballs - kafte ) served with vegetables.

Favorite Dish: Interestingly, on a chilly evening in October, the only other occupied table included the only American living permanently in Sirince, married to a local woman, with their family.

Delta Hali: Lunch with the Rugs

by nicolaitan Written Nov 12, 2008

Before or after checking out the Turkish rugs and their manufacture, consider lunch in the restaurant behind the main building, complete with fruit trees, grass, and a gazebo.

A limited menu features grilled meats and offers a full meal comprised of a (very ) spicy yogurt soup, a terrific fresh salad with plenty of the tasty tomatoes we came to love in Turkey, and a large entree with several meat selections on skewers including beef, chicken, lamb. Also on offer - large spicy meatballs, all served with vegetables. Beer, wine, and raki are available, all at a reasonable price.

Favorite Dish: kofte - spicy meatballs are a Turkish staple, very good here.

• Snipernurse's Profile Photo

Nearby city of Sirince: Go to Sirince!!!

by Snipernurse Written Jun 6, 2008

The food in Selcuk is nothing to sneeze at, it is delicious in it's own right. But I can not stress enough how awesome the city of Sirince is. It is very quiant with narrow cobblestone roads, lots of little shops and a lot of AMAZING food and wine. Really doing yourself a diservice if you don't go!! The city is featured for it's fruit wines (cherry, plum, apricot) and so on. Although an all out drinking and dining experience may not be your cheapest meal, it will be memorable. I still have my wine bottle carrier I used to take home my bottle of Cherry Wine I bought in the area! Purely delicious! A great bottle of wine from this area is about 15$
    You'll have to take a taxi there, unless your able to hike the 9km back to Selcuk without staggering into the roads after too much wine!

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Selcuk

Comments

Selcuk Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Selcuk restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Selcuk sightseeing.