Selcuk Transportation

by toosahn
  • Selcuk Train Station as seen from the bridge
    Selcuk Train Station as seen from the...
    by toosahn
    by balhannah

Most Recent Transportation in Selcuk

• toosahn's Profile Photo

Small Town with Many Transport Options

by toosahn Updated Feb 8, 2012

Selcuk Train Station

It is easy to walk around Selcuk because it is so small. You can visit all the monuments in the city on foot - St. John's Basilica, Efes Museum, Temple of Artemis, Isa Bey Mosque, the old hamam. A walk to the bottom gate of Ephesus is only about 20 minutes, but you can take a mini bus to the top gate for about 1-2TL, and then walk through Ephesus, exit the bottom gate, and either take a minibus back to Selcuk or walk. This is my recommended option. Many hotels offer 'free shuttles' to Ephesus. This will likely involve a trip to a carpet shop, as it does nearly everywhere else in Turkey. So it is free in that you don't pay money, but it is likely not free because you will spend your time in a carpet shop. I speak from experience. My exboyfriend is one of the main 'free shuttles' in Selcuk.

A taxi to Ephesus top gate will cost about 50TL and is NOT necessary. Taking the minibus is so easy from the bus station. There is also a mini bus to the Greek Village of Sirince for 2.50TL. Again, a 'free shuttle' is costly in terms of time and the minibuses go frequently and are so cheap.

To go to Mary's House is quite a trek on a road with no shoulder and lots of big tour buses. I don't recommend walking, although I have a friend who used to run up this hill on this road almost daily! I am not sure about minibuses to Mary's House. I think they may only go as far as Ephesus top gate, so you might want to ask for sure at the bus station. A taxi to Mary's House, waiting for you, and then taking you to Ephesus top gate should be no more than 50TL if you want to use this option.

The best place to buy bus tickets to another town is at the bus station directly from the bus company. They speak English and can help you and they have to sell you the ticket at the right price. No commission, no attempt to sell you a tour, no asking for more money when you get on the bus. If you're traveling to another city and need info on bus times, go ask at the bus station. Locals don't know. They don't travel anywhere. Get your info directly from the source.

The train to Izmir runs on time and you can get the schedule directly from the train station. They publish them on little cards, but a lot of hotels don't have the cards on site. A train to Izmir is 4-5 TL.

• asolotraveler's Profile Photo

From Istanbul to Selcuk

by asolotraveler Written Dec 28, 2011

After some thought, I decided that I did not want to catch the evening bus to Selcuk which was going to be about 10 hours. The thought of sitting just did not appeal to me since I had just sat for 12 hours getting to turkey. I went to Metro along the Main Cadessi and book a flight to Izmir. The cost was only USA: $159 round trip. It was less than an hour trip. After arriving at the Izmir airport, I caught the shuttle bus (8 Lira) into downtown Izmir where I catch another shuttle heading into Selcuk about an hour away. I arrived at the bus station where I was met by the Guesthouse staff. The little shuttle vans ran quite frequently and don't cost that much. Make sure you have little denominations of the Turkish Lira on hand.

• guell's Profile Photo

Driving

by guell Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ataturk Cad, Selcuk

The busses are a great and inexpensive way to get around the country, but for those of us with very limited time, driving is the best way to travel around Turkey.

Driving can be a bit expensive, however. Expect to pay around US$35 per day for an economy car plus gas (around $3 per gallon). To save on insurance, use a credit card that provides car insurance, and drive very carefully! Chose a major car company like Avis with many offices throughout the country in case you need their assistance.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Train station

by Willettsworld Written Mar 7, 2010

Selcuk has a small train station that's located along the first railway line in the Ottoman Empire that ran to Aydin in 1858. As of January 2010, there are 4 trains per day connecting Izmir Airport to Selcuk and points south. If you walk a short distance south along the side of the tracks from the station you'll come to an old steam engine and water tank.

• June.b's Profile Photo

Izmir airport to Selcuk (for Ephesus)

by June.b Written Oct 11, 2009

i've read this query several times so we did it this time, and here's the detail for those people who are planning to land at izmir airport to reach ephesus.

we took a plane - pegasus - from istanbul ataturk airport to izmir adnan menderes airport (ADB).

it's late in the afternoon, upon exiting the small domestic airport, we exited to our left and found taxis waiting so we took one and before jumping in we told the driver to take us to Gaziemir in front of Tansas (pronounced tansash) supermarket. they normally will ask you if u are going to selcuk, we said we will be meeting some friends at Tansas, so off we went without further questions and fare was only TL10 for the 3 of us.

in front of Tansas supermarket you'll find people waiting for buses, ask the small store and there's a guy sitting beside the store who told us to wait for the bus arriving in about 30 minutes, so it did. fare from gaziemir to selcuk is TL7, about an hour drive.

so easy does it, we reached selcuk for about 10lira each of us. but if you take the taxi direct from izmir airport to selcuk, it will cost you about TL100 or maybe you can bargain for less. not sure.

BUS SELCUK TO PUMAKKALE

by balhannah Updated Jul 12, 2009

My bus to Pamukkale

I was going to do a tour to Pamukkale and my Hotel said it was a waste of money. They advised to get the Bus there and back and have a look around myself. I did this. My Hotel booked the Bus for me. You will have to check the time-table, or ask your accommodation, as when I was there in May, they WERE NOT RUNNING every hour, maybe in "High Season"
    I departed Selcuk at 9am & returned at 4pm. It took 3hrs to get there, so I had just a nice amount of time to look around, Perfect! My return trip was 4hours because we came back via Denizli, so saw some different scenery!
    Myself and the person in the seat next to me, were both told it would be a big Bus, which it wasn't. (See photo) It was better than a Dolmus though!

PRICE WAS IN 2009 50t/l return ticket.

Bus Selcuk to Bodrum

by balhannah Written Jul 12, 2009

There is a direct Bus service from Selcuk Otogar to Bodrum Otogar. It takes about 3 hours to get there. I booked with "Metro" bus lines at the Selcuk Otogar. Travel was by a big Bus.
    Another good trip on a different Turkish Coach line.

Cost in 2009 was 25 t/l

DOLMUS TO KUSADASI

by balhannah Updated Jul 12, 2009

Dolmus's at Selcuk Otogar

From Selcuk to Kusadasi is 18km. The cheapest and best way to get there is by Dolmus which you get at the Selcuk Otogar. I can't remember whether they go hourly or half hourly, one or the other, somebody will fill you in. It drops you off near the Mall in Kusadasi. To return, you go back to the same place and wait.

PRICE 4t/l one way (2009)

Train Izmir to Selcuk

by balhannah Written Jul 11, 2009

Selcuk Train Station

From Izmir to Selcuk is 78kms. You can catch a train from Selcuk to the Airport & Izmir, at times: 6.50 / 7.35 / 11.32 / 15.05 / 19.25. There are Trains that go to Aydin too.
    Times for Airport to Selcuk are: 8.35 / 10.40 / 16.10 /18.05 / 19.30
    Fare is 4 t/l or 7t/l return.
    This started April 2009. Check station for more details.

Bus Izmir to Selcuk

by balhannah Written Jul 10, 2009

To get to Selcuk from Izmir you catch a Dolmus (Mini-bus) I arrived from Canakkale at the large Izmir Otogar. Arrival with "Truva" was on the top floor of the Otogar. When alighting from the bus, walk to the right (opposite side to driver's seat) and the Selcuk mini bus is about 6 bays further on. It has a board with "Selcuk" in the front window. If not sure, people will help you find it.
    Cost in May 2009 was 7 t/l.

• Sirvictor's Profile Photo

To Selcuk from Adnan Menderes

by Sirvictor Written Apr 9, 2009

The Bus to Selcuk from Izmir goes some 5 kms away from Adnan Menderes International Airport. To reach there you must take a taxi. Tell the driver that you will go to Selcuk. The bus stops at TANSAS on righthand side of the highway for passengers to Selcuk.
    There are busses 06,55, 07,35, 08,05, 08,40 in the early morning but after. 08,40 there is every 40 minutes a bus to Selcuk till 19:00. after 19:00 there is only one bus at 21,50. The bus company is "Selçuk Efes" (0232 892 39 79).

I think all the taxi drivers speak or understand English but I write for you information a Turkish sentence that yo couldshow the taxidriver.

"Selck'a gitmek istiyorum. Lutfen benim Selcuk otobusune binmeme yardim ediniz."
    English. "I want to take the bus to Selcuk. Please be kind to transfer me to the Selcuk Bus"

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Kusadasi-Selcuk road

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Feb 2, 2009

Kusadasi-Selcuk road

Selcuk is located in the Izmir Province 18 km northeast of Kusadasi and 3 km northeast of Ephesus.
    Touristic seaside town Kusadasi is 18km away and can be reached by the minibuses in every 15 minutes.
    Trains are running to Selcuk-Izmir and Selcuk-Denizli (Pamukkale) on certain hours.

You can watch my 2 min 48 sec Video clip Kusadasi Selcuk road with Hulia Avzar –Sedvim Turkish pop music.

• graeme83's Profile Photo

Selcuk to Olympos

by graeme83 Written Dec 22, 2008

This route requires quite a few changes. First I took a bus from Selcuk Otogar to Denizli Otogar. There are quite a few services covering this route. During the day you should not have to wait longer than 1 hour. From Denizli I got a bus to Antalya. I only had a half an hour wait for this bus. Again there are numerous services on this route. From Antalya there is a bus service every 30 minutes or so to Kas. This bus service stops at Olympos Main Road 'Station'. From here there should be a minibus waiting to take you down the hill to Olympos itself.

• Snipernurse's Profile Photo

Take a train from Izmir to Selcuk

by Snipernurse Written Jun 6, 2008

I took a train from Izmir Airport to Selcuk. It was both convenient, easy and safe. The train station is right by the airport and there are friendly men who run a lunch diner there to help. Inquire locally about departure times. It is about 1 hour trip there. I was fortunate enough to be in a train car with 5 turkish men and got to witness animated conversations of who knows what. They were both friendly and helpful as well. The train trip is scenic, gives a great introduction into the landscape and lifestyle of Turkey and is a good cultural experience. Check your guide for up to date details. Mine says that the train departs five times a day, it is very cheap.

• June.b's Profile Photo

Getting out

by June.b Written Feb 11, 2008

There are minibuses that will take you to and from nearby places.

You could take the minibus from the small Otogar of Selcuk to Izmir, leaves every 30 minutes. And from the huge bus terminal of Izmir, you could go to most cities and towns in Turkey. There are hundreds and hundreds of huge, large and smaller buses in Izmir terminal.

Instant Answers: Selcuk

Comments

Selcuk Transportation

Reviews and photos of Selcuk transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Selcuk sightseeing.