Bitez Local Customs

Well-fed stray cat
    by Ekaterinburg
    Dog burying a bone on the beach
    Cats in the Cemetery next to the Mosque

Best Rated Local Customs in Bitez

CHOOSE YOUR FISH

FRESH FISH

These you will find in most Turkish restaurants. The turkish people like you to see the food and the kitchens before you order your meal. But please make sure what you are buying is fresh. A good tip is to check if the display is changed daily.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Free Taxis !

by Ekaterinburg Written May 15, 2009

Let the restaurant pay your taxi bill!

Yes, you read correctly, free taxi service is quite a normal feature of life in the Bitez- Gumbet -Bodrum area. We first discovered this when we went to the AnaLivia restaurant in Gumbet and a waiter rushed out and paid our taxi fare. They do this for everyone is the area who arrives by taxi. I subsequently discovered that most of the restaurants in Bitez offer a free shuttle service as well.

So if you are in Bitez and want to eat in Gumbet or vice versa, don't forget to check out if the restaurant you're planning on going to offers this service. Some of the Hamams ( Turkish Baths )and other visitor attraction also do free taxis.

Life is made very easy for the visitor to Turkey. I wonder would that idea ever catch on here ? Don't think so, somehow.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Treatment of Stray Animals

by Ekaterinburg Written May 15, 2009

Well-fed stray cat

There were loads of cats and dogs wandering round Bitez but they were the best treated strays I've ever come across on my travels. Every restaurant or bar we visited had a dog or cat or both sniffing around and happy to accept scraps but far from being ill-treated, time and time again we saw restaurant staff feeding them and generally treating them kindly. On the beach we saw several large dogs roaming freely, burying bones and playing with everyone who passed. These were some of the happiest, most affectionate dogs I've come across in a long time and coming from a culture where a dog off a leash is almost a public order offense, it made a very refreshing change. Seeing scrawny, starving cats really upsets me and I am happy to report that I didn't see a single hungry looking cat in Bitez.

I don't know if this happens everywhere in Turkey but top marks to the locals in Bitez who could teach the world a thing or two about kindness to animals.

• Travel with Pets

TURKISH HAIR DRESSER , SHAVE

by whitecliff62 Updated Jan 8, 2006

The A.X.I. is a traditional Turkish hairdresser. They also do a Turkish shave using a razor sharp cut throat razor GULP hehehehehehe, you will find these places all over Turkey, but stay clear of the ear and nose cleaning, they stick a naked flame near your nose and ears and singe the unwanted hairs off hehehehehehehe, its true, they really do it, not something i would care to try

Located at Bitez Yalisi Carsisi no 6 Bitez - Bodrum

• iaint's Profile Photo

Local courtesy

by iaint Written Aug 15, 2008

My rented car had a blow out half way between Bodrum and the airport on Sunday (10-8-8).

It was 5pm and 35c. The road was busy. The hard shoulder was narrow. The car boot was full of luggage. I haven't had to change a tyre for many years, and never on a Renault Clio.

Anyway, I got the passengers to safety and unloaded the luggage. I started to get the car jacked up, in some fear of one of the local lunatics smashing into the back of the car.

Then along comes a local farmer on his tractor. He pulls over and insists on finishing the job for me!

I've been to Turkey several times, so that kind of helpfulness shouldn't surprise me. It still did though.

CARPET MAKERS

MEN AT WORK

The age old tradition of carpet making still goes on in Turkey, they are all hand made using traditional Turkish tools. These are really skilled men who take enormous pride in there work

Instant Answers: Bitez

Comments

Bitez Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Bitez local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bitez sightseeing.