Day Trip to Marmaris? Maybe!
If you are a confident driver (and you need to be confident in Turkey) you can do the drive over the mountains to Marmaris. It is a lovely, if occasionally hair raising drive (I did it last summer) but I would say for a normal holiday maker who doesn't fancy a few hours drive or who hasn't the time to spare it may not be feasible :o)
Car rental from Bodrum airport
I always rent a car for my bodrum holiday i feel free because my villa is on the hill at yalikavak so it is very difficult to reach to yalikavak or bodrum centrum, supermarkets, restaurants i also sometimes go different towns from bodrum
i recommend to holidaymakers www.egeriarentacar.com for car hire in BodrumRelated to:
- Road Trip
- Family Travel
- Luxury Travel
There is no bus system for travelling around Bodrum Peninsula. We have minibusses that called Dolmus. It is rational & efficient. From Bodrum to the villages go to Otogar. You can find dolmuses to ;
Yalikavark etc.Related to:
- Budget Travel
Taking the driving plunge!!
I am driving in Turkey this summer and I will pass on the wisdom I have received from a Turkish pal:
* Don't drive in istanbul
* Don't drive at night
* Don't drive at Public Holidays, particularly Ramadan when people have not eaten properly and tempers fray easily.
* Don't drink at all (practically zero tolerance for alcohol)
* Beware cars overtaking on both sides!
* Be careful of lorries and farm vehicles between big cities
* On the spot fines are frequent so make sure you have YTL available and ALL your documents in the car.
* Drive defensively and assertively
* Watch what the locals do at traffic lights (the traffic light sequence is open to some interpretation but green means GO while watching carefully, red means STOP mostly and flashing amber means GO IF SAFE TO DO SO). However the locals may ignore some of these rules
* Roundabouts are tricky, anti clockwise and right of way is given to cars joining the roundabout? Maybe? Sorry - haven't nailed Roundabouts yet :o)
* Petrol is very expensive in Turkey and many car hire firms will charge heavily for a tank (Approx 3.2 YTL per litre)
* If you have an accident phone 154 (traffic police) and your car hire company, and wait in or by the car. DO NOT MOVE THE CAR. Other traffic are expected to just move around you. (This is subject to a recent rule change about just exchanging details and informing your insurers with no need for police but don't risk it I say as Turkish legislation sometimes takes a while to reach all ears!)
* If you meet a confrontational driver - stay in your car and take details of other car and phone police (154)
* Make sure you have personal accident insurance and that your holiday insurance covers you to drive abroad.
* Locals will beep their horns lots - to get pedestrians off the road and to tell you to move. Try to ignore it.
* When other drivers flash their lights at you it means one of two things. If they flash from behind they are coming through so kindly move. If they flash from in front they may be warning you of a police spot check area.
* You must stop at police spot checks (Documents!)
* Be careful turning left
* Buy all insurances available on car since it is highly likely that you will scratch it (or someone will do it for you!)
Enjoy, I'm a bit nervous myself but I intend to move to Turkey and it's a big country so driving will be necessary for me. Do you really need to drive. The bus system is great and affords you the opportunity to see much of the countryside in a more leisurely way. Just be careful and keep your wits about you and you should be fine. Good Luck :o)
Taxis in Bodrum
Movement between Bodrum and the other peninsula towns will happen easily by Dolmus but sometimes you may want to get a taxi. The cost of taxis in Bodrum has steadily risen over the last few years and it can be quite expensive to use taxis. Avoid them in the day and opt for walking or dolmus but at night when you feel like you have no choice but to hail one be sure to know where you are going to avoid the scenic route being taken and adding a large number of YTL to your bill.
I always tip the taxis if they have not taken liberties with my patience on their routes but this is easy to do after many years in Bodrum and a growing familiarity with the routes and roads. Most taxi drivers in Bodrum speak some English, fewer taxi drivers in the beach area of Gumbet do so be really clear about where you want to go or better still, carry a map of the town with you to point out where you want to go.
taxis and dolmush
Like everywhere in Turkey you can use Dolmush, a minivan that takes you everywhere around the city (not long distances). They are slow and sometimes they wait to get full of people but you can hop on/off everywhere. Just pay attention to sign in front to see the final destination. Then get inside and pass the money to the one in front of you.
Of course there are many taxis everywhere. You will find many of them in the bus station waiting for you. The prices of the taxis in Turkey are cheaper than in Europe but it will be nice to ask tthe driver about your final destination and how much will cost you more or less.
Bodrum from the Airport
When you reached the Bodrum airport, if you dont have a bus or car waiting for you, than you should most probably be getting on to a taxi..
For many tourists Taxis are a kind of nightmare, they always think that they will be ripped off as its their first time there...But you can feel comfortable in Bodrum.
Taxi prices are set to one fix rate, and changing according to the location.. There is no taximeter but a fix rate.. And these prices are listed on a panel, where you get your taxi..
So this helps you to know how much you are going to pay.. No risk of being ripped off, and no place for the feeling "Is he taking the longest way to take more money??"
Taxi prices are valid 24 hrs, and they are in Turkish lira.. the picture shows the distances the prices for 2003.. Dont be dazzled with the zeros, 1 Euro= 1650,000 TRL, So taxi to Bodrum from the airport is around 30,- Euro..
Bodrum by Hydrofoil
You can reach Bodrum from Cos and Rhodes islands of greece by fast ferries (Hydrofoil).. Or you can visit these islands from Bodrum..
Cos is just 20 min from Bodrum, where Rhodes is 2hrs and some more by fast ferries.. Return ticket to Kos is around 25 Euro, and Rhodes is 50 euro..
The boats operates from 09:00 to 16:30 daily in summer and 3 times weekly in winter..
Bodrum Express Line: +90-252-316 10 87
Bodrum Ferry Assoc.: +90-252-316 08 82
Highway, Sea, Air
Highway Transportation to Bodrum from all over Turkey through bus services is available. Bus terminal is in the city center.
Coach Station Tel :(+90-252) 316 26 37
There are regular ferryboat services to the Greek islands of Cos and Rhodes. There are also connections to Knidos, Didim and Dalyan. The ferryboats and sea-buses all leave from the main harbor.
Bodrum Ferryboat Agency :(+90-252) 316 08 82
Bodrum Express (Sea Bus)(+90-252) 316 10 87
The Bodrum-Milas Airport is 30 km. from the city center. Transportation is provided by Turkish Airlines, taxis and minibuses.
Airport Tel: (+90-252) 523 01 01
Havas Tariff Bodrum airport
This is the recent tarif of Havas from Bodrum Airport to the city
for english :
Songs in the cab:)
The hotel is situated 20 km-s far from Bodrum. But you can take a cab at the hotel:) I remember that last time, while driving there, we sang classical unfading Joe Dassen's "Champs Elysees" :))))
This small property is both central (10 min walk to the bazaar and waterfront) and secluded and...more
We couldn't fault the physical hotel. The views are great; the hotel is clean, very interesting...more
The Club Med is situated about 20 mins drive (or 30 by Dolmus) from Bodrum, in a little bay. There...more
Latest Bodrum Hotel Reviews
- Kervansaray Resort Bodrum
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2014
- Bodrum Princess Turkbuku
- 205 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2014
- Isis Hotel & Spa
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 13, 2014
- Club Voyage Bodrum Charm Hotel
- 334 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2014
- Forever Club Hotel Bodrum
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Hotel Bitez Garden Life
- 202 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 4, 2014
- Club Acacia
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 20, 2014
- Club Med Bodrum
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 8, 2014
- Royal Asarlik Beach Hotel
- 757 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2014
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Explore the World
- Subic Hotels
- Washington D.C. Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Puerto Princesa Hotels
- Karachi Hotels
- Pengkalan Balak Hotels
- Coron Hotels
- Southern Province Hotels
- Seattle Hotels
- Goose Rocks Beach Hotels
- Ipoh Hotels
- Atlantic City Hotels
- Pensacola Beach Hotels
- Boon Lay Hotels
- Apostle Islands Hotels
- Kuching Hotels