Kayakoy (Levissi - to the greeks who once lived there) is a ghost town turned into tourist spot, converted into a museum village.
The greeks used to populate the town until the population exchange in 1923, where the greek orthodox have to go back to Greece and the muslim Turkish from Greece have to go back to Turkey. The muslims from greek Macedonia who occupied the town were'nt happy and abandoned the place. Now it's a ghost town that became a tourist attraction.
The modern town is just below it.
Kayakoy have about 350 to 400 houses of almost the same sizes of about 50sqm each, mostly ruined without windows or doors positioned on the mountain in such a way that everyone have the same panoramic view infront of it without overshadowing one another.
There's an impressive big 17th century church on the upper level with relief of mosaics still visible on its flooring. The courtyard is decorated with patterned stones, the church position is very central in that the houses resting on the mountain are all facing it 180 degrees.
There's also a smaller church or chapel just below along the stone-paved road, a school and customs house.
Hiking up the back of the big church where the Turkish flag is, you'll get to see a nice 360-deg. view of the whole surroundings -- the ghost village at one side and the new town at the other.
There are herd of goats grazing around the area, and irresponsible tourists leaving behind their rubbish of enpty plastic bottles and snack wrappers -- not good, tourists!
Kayakoy is 8 kilometers south of Fethiye town. I thought before that it's hard to get there, well, not really.
This village, once called by the Greek name of Levissi, was once the home to 2500 Anatolian, Greek speaking Christian people. Kayakoy was largely abandoned after a population exchange agreement was signed by the Turkish and Greek governments in 1923. Some Turkish people have settled nearby but the town is almost deserted apart from small tour groups and some restored dwellings.
Kayakoy is thought to be the setting for the book 'Birds Without Wings' by Louis de Bernières (2004) - well worth a read for general modern history of Turkey.
Kayakoy is a large ghost town located about 8 kilometers from Fethiye. Kayakoy was named Levissi, and had approximately 2000 predominately Greek residents, until the Greek-Turkish war in the early 1920s. After the war ended, its residents were forced to move to Greece as part of the peace treaty's exchange of populations (Greeks in Turkey moved to Greece and Turks in Greece moved to Turkey). For some reason, the local Turks never moved in to repopulate the town and it has remained almost completly abandoned ever since (except for a handful of buildings which have been converted into cafes and bed and breakfasts).
Kayakoy is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is open to the public. It is very interesting to wander around among its hundreds of buildings, which include houses, churches, and schools in varying stages of decay. Our favorite building was the church near the entrance to the town, which still has some of its original interior artwork.
[photos to come]
Kayakoy is 8km far from Fethiye .It is an old Greek town .In 1922 Turkish and Greek government make an agreement and Greek people who was living in Kayakoy left the town and Turkish people who was living in Greece came instead .However in 1923 Turkish people also left the town and today kayakoy is a town with the empty Greek houses.
Of course today there are some people who lives there and try to make this ghost city,a culture centre.
It's a different adventure to see this town and then eat local food -gozlem,kebaps in the small restaurants around.Really enjoyable..