Fun things to do in Fethiye

entrance to Patara Beach
    by Jawnuta
  • Paragliding
    by June.b
  • Paragliding
    by June.b

Most Viewed Things to Do in Fethiye

• June.b's Profile Photo

Your own private beach at Kabak.

by June.b Updated Nov 21, 2012

Seldom you'll find your own (greedy am I?) place on the beach unshared with other people, I found that in Kabak Koyu.

While staying at Helin Kamp, I descended down the rugged mountain not really knowing where to head to, I was thinking of going to the cove where most people in this place head to, to swim, instead I headed down the other direction. I heard from the camp owner that they have their own private beach.

The way there was a bit rough, I almost slipped and rolled down the mountain, although the makeshift steps helped in getting down to the sea level.

I found the very small piece of beach right on the side of the mountain and just as I expected - it's almost winter - no people around except me.

I bathe taking all my clothes off, I don't think I'll be having a company anytime in the afternoon, so I didn't care naked.

Coming back to the camp though I got lost walking back through the huge boulders following the red marks (for lycian hikers), when in fact the steps that I really struggled to find was few meters from the private beach. I felt like some supernatural force (enchanted?) in the place led me to get lost. It scared the hell of out of me as I was thinking if I wouldn't be able to find the steps, it's gonna get dark soon and - worst - the water is getting high.

I did managed finding the steps though it took me half an hour hopping and stumbling through the boulders of sharp rocks.

rocky beach my dscend to the beach i swam here. steps to the beach my piece of paradise

Peaceful Kabak Valley

by June.b Written Nov 21, 2012

A quiet laid-back vacation retreat couple of miles from Faralya's Butterfly Valley.

I went to see Kabak Valley on my second day at Faralya and I was awed by the beautiful panorama while I was feasting on my vegetable salad on the deck of the waiting shed slash restaurant where the jeeps that goes down to the valley, as well as where the dolmush (minibus) from Fethiye/Oludeniz terminates.

I've seen it but I wasn't contented so... since I still have 2 nights left in Fethiye (1 will be spent in Fethiye town), I headed down to Kabak Valley after checking out of Faralya. Actuallyu it wasn't like that.

I checked out of George House, then went up the main road and I said to myself, whichever direction the first bus arrives - I'll take it. If it's a bus to Fethiye town, then I'll just have to spend 2 nights at Fethiye. If the first bus goes to Kabak -- then I'll go there.

My subconscious being is hoping for Fethiye as I'm tired already and gnawing for hotel comfort, well.... the bus that first arrive is going to Kabak! So Kabak it is.

The opportunistic jeep driver took me (alone, no passengers around) down to one of the camp down the valley which I've seen online weeks back - called Helin Kamp. Dropped me 50 meters of rugged road before the camp and demanded TL40. I'm in no position to complain. Right after getting of the jeep and started walking down, 4 scary dogs attacked me, one almost bit my leg.

Good thing I saw Genghis (the guy at the camp below) who fetched me and took me down the camp.

I stayed a night at this beautiful campground overlooking the cove and the turquoise beach, at a small wooden hut, the ocean sounds at night cradles you to sleep - what a delicious way to sleep.

Kabak Valley isn't yet exploited by mass tourism and packaged tours. There are tourists who go there and stay, the challenged and adventurous ones. But most are contented just passing by with their rented vehicles.

Email me for more details of the place if you wish.

• Photography

Herd of goats?

by June.b Updated May 31, 2012

I went up the mountain from the highway in Oludeniz, a bit rocky and thorny here and there but there are like colored marks on some rocks, so I followed the marks and guess what I found? An herd of goats!

I froze for a moment when I saw all of them staring at me but surprisngly they all run away, so it was the other way around -- they got scared of me...really?

So that gave a me a clear way to go on the top.

Caretta Caretta

by June.b Written May 31, 2012

While walking along the highway I found this tutle slowly crossing the highway. The little creature is crossing a no zebra crossing highway! Good thing though is --- vehicles running the highway avoid the turtle -- so environmentally friendly people.

I love the scene actaully, just like it just jumped out of a movie scene. ha..ha..

Turtle crossing the highway!!! Turtle crossing the highway!
    • Eco-Tourism

Fethiye Marina

by June.b Written May 31, 2012

Not to be confused with the other marina in Karagozler which is in front and a part of Ece Saray Resort and Marina, the Fethiye Marina is the municipal's marina where local gulets and fishing boats are docked.

Located near the old town and the ancient amphitheater. The tourist information centre is located nearby as well as the Fethi Bey Park.

Fethiye Marina
    • Sailing and Boating

Sehit Fethi Bey park

by June.b Written May 31, 2012

The Sehit Fethi Bey Park is located just in front of the marina quay and the ancient amphitheater at its back. So if you see a statue of a man with a huge eagle wings on its sides, then that's the statue of Sehit Yuzbasi Tayyareci Fethi Bey (1887 - 1914), one of the first pilots of the Ottoman Avir Force.

Fethiye was named after him in 1934.

Sehit Fethi Bey Park

Exhibition at the Fethiye Municipality

by June.b Written May 31, 2012

Pass by the Fethiye Municipality cultural centre as they always have activities and exhibitions going on. When I pass by there, there was a beautiful photography exhibition of various scenes around the town.

Fethiye Municipality Cultural Centre

Lycian Sarcophagus at Fethiye Municipality grounds

by June.b Updated May 31, 2012

Look for the Fethiye Belediyesi Kultur Merkezi (Fethiye Municipality Cultural Center) and few meters fronting it at the back of a statue of a man holding a baglama (turkish guitar), you'll find a fully intact and in excellent condition of a lycian sarcophagus.

BBuilt in the 4th century BC, made of limestone and the biggest example of its kind. Carvings areound the sarcophagus depicts scenes of war, human figures and may have belonged to a heroic warrior or administrator. The sarcophagus is well preserved in its original / current location.

Lycian Sarcophagus with the municipality building. Sarcophagus at the back of the statue.

Memorial Obelisk Monument

by June.b Written May 30, 2012

There's this newer monument standing right infront of the bay where there are many tour yachts and near the marina.
    It's an tall obelisk with the statue of a boy and a woman facing the length of the obelisk. Not much info on it except for several names carved on the obelisk and probably the dates they died mostly of which are in late 1990s and 2000s --- a memorial dedicated to servicemen that died in recent conflicts.

Lining the monument are poster-size black and white photographs of Kemal Ataturk.

Fethiye's Medieval Castle

by June.b Written May 30, 2012

From the Tombs of Amyntas, it's worth walking up to the road leading to the mountain where there's this remains of the medieval castle built by the Knights of Saint John from Rhodes and the Genoese.

Not much is left except for some walls and of course the amazing view of the bay and the whole town of Fethiye from above the mountain.

• Castles and Palaces

Monuments and gardens

by mickeyboy07 Written Oct 5, 2011

As you approach the harbour district from the main road you will walk through some pleasent gardens with a stream leading to the harbour with a nice foot bridge over it and nearby fountains.There is also a huge Monument dedicated to the famous ploitician'Akdenizdir Ileri'.Its a lovely area were you can sit and relax in the sun.

Fountains Pleasent and green Monument Stream with fountain

Razman Gungor Statue

by mickeyboy07 Written Oct 4, 2011

In the centre of Fethiye near the Harbour is the Statue of'Razman Gungor'.Unfortunately i have not been able to find any information about this person but would presume he is somewhat of a famous person in Turkey,A politician or musician mabye.Anyway the statue is very nice and a good addition to the harbour district.

Plaque on Statue(in Turkish) Razman Gungor

Aviation Monument

by mickeyboy07 Written Sep 26, 2011

This monument near the harbour in Fethiye is dedicated to 'Fethi Bey'an officer in the navy and a trained aviation pilot who was killed in 1914 as he attempted to fly from Istanbul to Cairo for the first time and died when his plane crashed at 'Taberiye'near Damascus.In 1914 this town which was previously called'Megri'was renamed as Fethiye in honour of 'Fethi Bey'.

Fethi Bey Plaque near monument

Harbour

by mickeyboy07 Written Sep 26, 2011

Fethiye harbour is quite stretched out running for several miles,its here where you can book boat trips to other resorts and to the Greek Island of 'Rhodes'which we did on our second week here(see Rhodes tips).Along the harbour front are numerous bars,restaurants and cafe's and benches to sit and watch the boats,a very pleasent place to waste the day away.

Boats in harbour Tour boat Nearby Bars View from harbour
    • Cruise
    • Sailing and Boating

War Memorial

by mickeyboy07 Updated Sep 26, 2011

Situated on the harbour front in Fethiye is this newly built monument dedicated to fallen Turkish troops who fought in conflicts around the world and at home.The monument is placed in a tranquil setting near the water with mountains behind.There are lawns and benches near by as well as Cafes etc.
    The monument was built in 2001.

War Memorial Plaque on Monument Monument base East side of monument

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Poppy Apartments
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Fethiye

Comments

Fethiye Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Fethiye locals.
Map of Fethiye