Fethiye Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Fethiye

• cosycarol's Profile Photo

Fethiye - Beware the Tourist-Eating Men

by cosycarol Updated Jun 15, 2009

The type of men that work in tourism in Fethiye have congregated from all regions of Turkey. When they spot a Westernised lady they think they're put here to indulge them in their own selfish pleasures. These men are often very handsome and charming. Just beware of the usual smarmy sweet-talk and any scams to win you over for a one night stand. They may not love you at the end of the season but be only after your body, or worse your money, or for longer term hoping you can get them a visa! Commonly they are awaiting the next incoming plane load after seeing you off! Its hard for these selfish ones I know because they come from village backgrounds seeking opportunity, but please don't indulge them and give us British ladies a bad reputation! Be warned! Its still a wonderful place to visit.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• LostinParadiseTR's Profile Photo

If you need to call an ambulance .....

by LostinParadiseTR Written Sep 8, 2005

Avoid using the usual government emergency ambulance service if you dont have Turkish racial origins. I had a terrifying experience last month, after collapsing in the town centre, I was taken to an emergecy building. I asked for a drink of water, was told there was none....I pointed to a nearby washbasin tap, and was told there were no glasses to drink out of. (This is 40 deg high humidity temps), Was taken again into ambulance where stretcher carrier told me they were going to kill me, and made throat cutting gestures in case I didnt understand! Taken to huge new hospital outside town, kept there for hours whilst they checked my blood pressure (v high) and enjoyed themselves screaming at me to wake up if I dozed off, and to get back into bed when I stood up to relieve cramp in my foot. Meanwhile they loudly told one another how much they hated "these f....king foreign b...stards". (Ive lived out here for 7 years and understand Turkish well). My deepest thanks to the German lady who brought me water and something to eat when the staff refused. Theres obviously alot of racial hatred amongst certain sections of the native population here, coming out when they get someone vulnerable. There are private hospitals offering their own ambulance services, for example the Esnaf Hospital in Fethiye.

• Singles
    • Disabilities
    • Women's Travel

• Aurorae's Profile Photo

Triple check!!!

by Aurorae Written Oct 18, 2004

You have to be EXTRA careful when you are paying, don't just double check, do more checks, because the merchants have incredible talent for the greatest cheating in history that I have ever seen, like not returning your change, giving you the astronomical prices (and if you swallow it, they're happy, and 90% of tourists DO swallow it!) They cheat even at the airport at free shops, a guy attempted to charge me 41 euro like 65 US dollars in cool blood! When I argued he said that they apply different exchange rate there for difference between euro and dollar, ha ha ha! And he didn't want to give me the receipt (you'll never get one in Turkey btw!), but free shops are obliged to do, and he said he can't do it (although he has a machine for it). I made a complete mess and at the end he had to consent to write a receipt and charge the real price... If you want to have your way, you need to be very persistant and not nice at all!

Fethiye by Jelena

Instant Answers: Fethiye

Comments

Fethiye Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Fethiye warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fethiye sightseeing.