Goreme Restaurants

• spocklogic's Profile Photo

Alaturca: Nice decor, average food

by spocklogic Updated Sep 30, 2013

Alaturca Restaurant

We had dinner at this restaurant on our first evening in Goreme after touring the Open Air Museum. It is located in the center of Goreme and offers traditional Anatolian cuisine. The restaurant is very inviting when you walk in. We had a look at the menu and it seemed to have a good variety with modest prices, perhaps a bit high, but not too much so. There is a sitting area on the first floor with some ambiance that you can enjoy a drink or snack before dinner. We came in out of the rain and were content to just sit for a while. The atmosphere was relaxed and there was no pressure to order anything. This was pleasant. Eventually we ordered some tea that was quite delicious.

When we were ready to eat, we adjourned to the upstairs dining area. While not as meticulously decorated as the downstairs, it was open and spacious with well arranged tables and a central bar area. It did not seem particularly busy, but it was the winter season too. Our waiter was friendly and attentive and endeavored to be helpful with suggestions. He had to consult with other members of the staff a couple times regarding our questions on the menu, but I think he was new to the staff and wanted to be sure he was giving us the right answers. We were in no hurry so this was fine.

I will have to say that the food did not really live up to what the menu promised. There was nothing particularly wrong with the combinations of food in the dishes or the presentation, but in the preparation I think. I had some fish, which I thought was rather dry. The seasoning on the accompanying items seemed a bit uninspired too. My friends seemed to enjoy their dishes more than I, but there was nothing to rave about either. My assessment would be that you can expect something very average here, at a price that doesn’t quite match the quality of the food. This restaurant is recommended in several tour books, but I found it a bit disappointing.

• Art Cafe, Uchisar: Highest sunset Point in Kapadokiya is at Art Cafe

by namitas Updated Jul 2, 2012

One of us went through the museum doors to see the Uchisar castle. The rest ( three of us) sat outside around waiting for him to return. The only restaurant in the area has valley view and numerous canopies with tables underneath. The owner, a friendly and warm Turkish gentleman who has spent half his life in Germany came along and invited us in. We resisted and he told us that we don't need to order anything. He then joked and asked if we would like tea with milk ( free, as we were his 'guests' not his customers). The Turkish have tea without milk; clearly he was referring to our Indian origin. I asked him how he knew we were from India, and that is how the conversation started. The host signaled to someone behind in the kitchen and we were offered tea. Later when my husband came down from the castle we sat and ordered some food. Enjoyable/delicious meal. Unhurried and tasty. Sat about, walked, talked. Played with the dog ( beautiful pet dog who plays around in the area). Then we waited for the sunset. It was cold and windy and the owner offered us ( three of us- me and our kids) warm shawls. The sunset was beautiful. It is the best place in the valley and perhaps the whole area to watch the sun setting since Uchisar Castle is the highest point around. They have barbeque and dancing at night in the open air restaurant.
    Name of the owner- Vural Aldag

• June.b's Profile Photo

Saray Halk Lokantasi: Local Food

by June.b Updated Sep 20, 2011

Saray Halk Lokantasi

It's a lokantasi, a local eatery that serves delicious simple menu. Indoor and outdoor dining. You can order a little bit of everything displayed on the counter, costs TL10 per plate. A little of vegetables and meat. Baklava is also available and soups.

The guy who's serving the food is extremely friendly and a really good conversationalist as his english is excellent.

Favorite Dish: local food

• Photography

• June.b's Profile Photo

Safak Cafe & Restaurant: The best Corba (Soup)

by June.b Updated Sep 20, 2011

We sat at the chairs & table in front of the Safak Cafe and the young guy approached us immediately, we're not really hungry so we ordered the lentil soup and a cola. Soup costs only TL5 It was really tasty along with the delicious bread. I guess that was the best corba we had in Goreme. Served by a mid-aged lady who maybe the cook or owner of the cafe/resto.

They also serve other dishes for lunch & dinner like kebab, gozleme and meatballs.

Favorite Dish: Lentil soup...the best!

• Photography

• FAIRYCHIMNEY's Profile Photo

Ala turca Restaurant: try manti !!

by FAIRYCHIMNEY Updated Apr 4, 2011

Located right in the centre of Goreme (opposite to bus station ) provides beatiful view via its terrace and also has a lovely courtyard with lots of cushins on the grass.

Favorite Dish: I love meze 'cold starters' plate with glass of cold raki and after a huge t-bone steak will do :)

• gmg61's Profile Photo

Cappadocia Kebap Center: Out of the crows

by gmg61 Written Sep 26, 2010

Göreme is a nice place but with far too many tourists even out of the peak season.
    If you like a peaceful place, not packed with group tourists and backpacjers, try thiw quiet small restaurant with tables on the street.
    It's nice, calm and offers good turkish food.
    I tried the pottery kebab (sort of stewed kebab) and was satisfied.
    They also serve take away Kebaps.

Favorite Dish: Pottery Kebab

• illumina's Profile Photo

Goreme Restaurant: Wonderful Ottoman Ambience

by illumina Updated Feb 3, 2009

I can't recommend the Goreme Restaurant highly enough! It might not be imaginatively named, but any disappointments end there. We ate there twice in the week we were in the area, and we emerged satisfied both times.

There are tables outside if it's good weather, and another small area of tables as you walk through the door, but ignore both. Instead, kick off your shoes by the steps, and make your way to the long cushions and low tables where you can sit cross-legged or sprawl at your ease. The staff are all very friendly, and the food is very good indeed. There are specials, such as the delicious pottery kebab, which cost around 14-16 YTL, but there are also cheaper dishes for about 7-9YTL, and a few good vegetarian meals too.

They have Efes beer, which I really like, and good Cappadocian red wine. You can round off your meal with a nargile too if you like!

Favorite Dish: The stuffed bread, particularly Mandarli, is great, and the pottery kebab, which is meat and vegetables cooked in a clay pot which is broken at your table, is satisfying both visually and for the tastebuds!

• momora's Profile Photo

Orient Restaurant: The menu is incredible

by momora Updated Jan 11, 2009

The food was exquisite, the service was superb, and the maitre D (I think he owns the place) was extremely courteous and funny. We ate in the inside dining room (once) and the veranda (twice). The decor and the atmosphere are enchanting. The wood oven adds warmth to the dining room and coupled with the owner artifacts give the place its own unique look.

Favorite Dish: I ate there 3 times during 1 week. Once I had the rack of lamb, moussaka, and the special dessert.
    Once we shared a few dishes (tapas style): Sac Tava, Moussaka, Kofte Kebab, Samasos, Chicken Saute, Fried Calamar, the 3 of us drank a bottle of Cappadocian wine, and again shared the desserts Baklava, Cheese Plate and Yoghurt with Honey. The last time we ate at Orient, the maitre D chose our meal and again we shared the dishes, the Mezze was particularly memorable; we decided to have baklava for dessert.

• Women's Travel

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

noname: Not far from the Goreme Museum

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Oct 25, 2008

In a restaurant of Goreme

It was our guide choice to have a dinner in this restaurant. It's good for groups which travel by bus.
    Though food wasn't very delicious but it took us only half an hour to have a substantial dinner and go on our excursion. Nothing to wish more in such a travel!
    I'll try to find the name and the address of this restaurant in Interenet, but now I haven't, sorry!

Keleb: Great breakfasts

by albaaust Written Jul 10, 2008

One of the breakfast tables

The Kelebek breakfasts were fantastic..the best we had throughout Turkey. Homemade muesli, various dried fruits, cereals, yoghurt and cooked breakfast.

The dinner at the Kelebek we heard was also good. Unfortunately, we went to other restaurants in the townsite.

Uranos Sarikaya: Cave restaurant

by albaaust Written Jul 10, 2008

Mustafa took us to this cave restaurant for lunch. It is obviously a place that many tour guides take their clients. You get served a three course meal and listen to various live Turkish music. It was OK.

• Archeology

Dibek Café: Have a traditional home cooked meal

by albaaust Written Jul 10, 2008

We had a lovely meal at this restaurant. The restaurant is a very old inn and the owner, a young man who willingly showed us around. We had a traditional meal of lamb and beans. The homemade red wine was excellent!

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

Debek: Old World Turkey

by Skibbe Written Jun 19, 2008

This is in a family run restaurant in a 475-year-old building. They make their own wine and serve it in cups that reminded me of what one would see in a Bible movie. The food comes in generous portions and was delicious.

• mavl's Profile Photo

S.O.S. Restaurant & Cafe: BEST KEBAP IN GOREME

by mavl Written Nov 26, 2007

central location, indoor and outdoor dining, eager staff. i got there pretty late in the evening but they fired up the oven for me anyway.

Favorite Dish: they have the best tasting kebaps in goreme! servings are generous and the bread is served freshly baked and in large portions.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo

Tardelli: Skip this tourist trap

by Tijavi Updated Nov 24, 2007

This meal cost USD20!!!

I don't know whether to put this under tourist trap or restaurants, but one thing is sure - my experience with this restaurant was not so pleasant. Not only were the portions small - a serving of beef sisli (barbecue) consists of six teeny-weeny bits with two spoons of rice pilaf on the side for about USD18!- but also the staff were too enthusiastic in please new guests at the expense of existing ones.

I was asked to move to a less desirable location in the middle of my meal when two guests came in - and it was clear there were enough seats for everybody! Just looked the waiter and smiled and went back to the beef morsels (yes, they were morsels!) on my plate dying to be gobbled up.

Not too happy with this restaurant - a complete rip off.

Instant Answers: Goreme

Comments

Goreme Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Goreme restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Goreme sightseeing.