Goreme Transportation

• Transportation
    by June.b
  • Transportation
    by June.b
    Driving through the chimney-scape!!
    by Durfun

Most Recent Transportation in Goreme

• June.b's Profile Photo

Never a mistake with Metro bus

by June.b Written Sep 17, 2011

Because of my disappointment with INCI bus from Istanbul to Goreme, I immediately bought our tickets in advance at the Nevsehir main bus terminal right at our arrival, it was a very busy season so I don't want to take a second guess.

We had the double decker bus complete with individual TV, wifi internet connection, hot and cold drinks, magazines, and a steward. I was sitting right infront near the driver at the lower level, so it was soooo comfortable - no disturbance at all - that I was able to sleep from the time the bus moved upto our arrival in Istanbul. With Metro Turizm bus, yoou'll never go wrong.

• June.b's Profile Photo

INCI Bus Co. from Istanbul to Goreme

by June.b Updated Sep 17, 2011

Never again.... unless it's really the last option. As in this trip case. It was the bayram fest and most locals are going to their relatives so the Buyuk Otogar in Istanbul is so so busy with lots of people traveling. The first time I saw the chaos at the huge bus terminal of Istanbul. First, I shopped around but the big companies are all fully booked and the only bus company that has availability is Inci.

I went inside their office at the main bus station and asked if they have a bus going to Goreme, they said yes, followed by how many people and the cost, and without any reconfirmation from our part, they issued the ticket! Well, I'll buy it anyways. The bus is scheduled at 9:30pm and it's just 7:00pm but we decided to bide our time at the station.

At 9:15 we were at the peron - the bus area - the 9:30 became 9:45 and we were asked again to wait for another bus and then another bus, and alas the bus came at 10:30pm or so. It seems that they are understaff, there were no service whatsoever during the trip, those usual ones I got accustomed with other bus companies like Metro, Ulusoy, Varan, Pamukkale, Kontur, Kamil Koc, etc... No steward, which means no free water, no wet tissues, no tea, no coffee, no biscuits, no nothing. There was only the driver and his alternate.

The 13-hour bus ride to Goreme was simply a ride. I don't know what happened because according to the lady at our hotel in Goreme when we arrived, Inci is an ok bus. Well, during this busy season I think they were not prepared. So we just sat there minus the usual convenience that other bus companies have. There wasn't even a TV.

The only consolation is --- at least we've reached Goreme safe.

But for me, I think no next time around. I'll stick to my favorites - Metro or Ulusoy or Kamil Koc or even the more expensive Varan - or not at all.

Because of my disappointment, when we arrived at the main Nevsehir bus terminal (an hour or so before Goreme) I immediately bought the tickets for our way back to Istanbul (after were done with Goreme) at the Metro ticket office to avoid running out of seats and further disappointment.

• murta's Profile Photo

Goreme - Mustafapasha (Sinasos)

by murta Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you are interested in architecture and/or photography, pay a visit to Mustafapasha (Sinasos). It is a village that used to be habitated majorily by Greeks until the first quarter of the 20th century.

There is no direct public transport from Goreme to Mustafapasha (Sinasos). You should change the bus in Urgup (See the transport tip between Goreme-Urgup). Once in Urgup, take the village bus to Mustafapasha.* The journey takes only 15 min (6km) and costs 1 TRY ( less than a dollar/euro). This is not a very frequent service so check at the bus station for departure times. The timetable should be on the window for ZABITA. You can also check the given website. I am including the current one below.

*Attention: There are two almost adjacent bus stations in Urgup. If you are coming from Goreme, don't get off the bus until the last station. This is the same one where you get the bus to Mustafapasha and later back to Goreme.

URGUP - MUSTAFAPASHA

• Architecture

• Durfun's Profile Photo

Goreme to Pamukkale

by Durfun Written Jul 4, 2010

The bus officially only goes upto Denizli. This leg costs 35 YTL per person, and takes 8 hours. Best to buy the tickets from one of the many operators by the bus station. There are several services throughout the day, including overnight ones.

Buying via your hotel would cost 40 YTL.

Then, once in Denizli, get out and turn left, to reach the stand for the local dolmus to Pamukkale. This part is not signposted very well, but rest assured the bus stand is there. Locals can confirm this.

DO NOT go with the guys approaching the bus passengers. They'll claim they are your hotel's representatives, or your pension owner's brothers!!

The local dolmus mentioned is a comfy 20 minute ride, costing a mere 3 YTL.

You'll love Pamukkale. Don't forget to walk along the tombs, and a swim in the cleansing medicinal waters!!

• Museum Visits
    • Archeology

• Durfun's Profile Photo

From Istanbul to Goreme...

by Durfun Written Jan 7, 2010

Driving through the chimney-scape!!

One of the easiest ways to arrive here is flying from Istanbul to Kayseri.

Pegasus offers some great deals, though note flights to here are not daily, so check & set your itinerary accordingly.

Fares can be as little as 13GBP including taxes! They fly from Sabiha Gokcen airport. Flight time is 1.25 hours.

The transfer from Kayseri to Goreme takes another 1.25 hours, via private car, that too in zero traffic!! So, yes, it's quite a distance!! Best to arrange your transfer in advance via your hotel (10EUR per person), as the taxis at the airport charge extortionate amounts.

Another option is flying from Istanbul to Nevsehir, though with other airlines. Transfer time from this city is shorter.

• Museum Visits
    • Archeology

• Jawnuta's Profile Photo

Long Distance Bus

by Jawnuta Written Aug 23, 2009

Antalya bus station

Overnight busses are great way to travel to and from Cappadocia.
    Flights to and from Cappadocia are either extremally expensive or sporadic.

We used METRO TURIZM to travel from Cappadocia to Fethye.
    It was more comphortable than we expected. I (who never sleeps on the plane) was able to sleep for most of the trip.

I would definitely travel by busses in Turkey in the future

Nevsehir Airport

by balhannah Written Jul 31, 2009

I had a Free Shuttle booking with my Hotel. On arrival at the Airport, we arrived at the same time as probably 100 other people. This Airport is only very small, and with few counters for booking in. The queues did not move fast, and I began to think I would not get on the plane.
    So, if you are using this airport, leave yourself plenty of time to get booked in, as if you come late, you may miss your flight!

Dolmus from Goreme to Uchisar

by balhannah Written Jul 30, 2009

The Dolmus to Uchisar (it continues on to elsewhere) leaves from the Goreme Otogar. It has the sign in the window of the Bus. I can't remember if it runs half hourly or hourly, your Hotel will be able to tell you, as that is who told me. They drop you off on the main road, and you have a short walk to the Uchisar castle.

Cost was 1.75 t/l in 2009

SHUTTLE FROM KAYSERI AIRPORT

by balhannah Written Jul 27, 2009

An easy way to reach your accommodation in Cappadocia, is to pre book a shuttle on the Internet.
    I booked this through Argeus Travel. There was somebody waiting at the Airport for me, and all I had to do was pay the Driver 17 t/l in cash.

Argeus Tourism & Travel
    www.argeus.com
    ahmet@argeus.com

• Transportation from Goreme to Kayseri Airport

by Brazilianerin Written Apr 11, 2009

There is a bus/van transfer from Kayseri Airport to Goreme and from Goreme to Kaysery Airport which is possibly only available for those who are flying Turkish Airlines. It is also the cheapest way to do the transfer. You can reserve your shuttle airport service from the cappadocia turkish airlines office website below (prices in April 2009):

www.cappadociaexclusive.com/shuttle.html

- 15 YTL (around USD 10) per person for Urgup.
    - 17 YTL (around USD 11) per person for the towns other than Urgup.

I still haven`t contacted them, so I don`t know further details.

Otherwise, the cheapest quote I had for a private transfer (from my hotel) for 2 people was 80 YTL.

• travelnut71's Profile Photo

Take tours or taxi in Cappadocia, don't rent a car

by travelnut71 Written Apr 9, 2009

Hi, I am in the same boat, take a look at the sight urgup travel I may also have another contact for you. Renting a car is very expensive and also they will charge everything extra, you can try www.autoeurope.com, the gas is extremely expensive, try www.viamichelina.it and do some searches there and it will calculate the gas for you. For that price I was told hiring a cab driver for a day is much cheaper and you save time cause, 1) you don't have to get the car and 2) the driver will know where you should go.

From instanbul to Kayseri, I got a flight with Pegasus for less than 50 US for 2 and a baby.. The bus is TOO long.

You can do everything by bus but I recommend tours, and if you do book a tour, book it in Cappadocia not Istanbul, because they will PUSH you and scare you in Istanbul to book or there is no more room, it is at least 1/3 more. Try Nese travel or Urgup travel. Someone will get in touch with me tomorrow for teh same thing, I will try to find some prices for you.

Good luck.

• graeme83's Profile Photo

Antalya to Goreme

by graeme83 Written Dec 28, 2008

There is a night bus from Antalya every night leaving at 8.30pm with the company Nevsehir Seyahat. It arrives at around 7am the next morning in Nevsehir with a free shuttle from there to Goreme (about 10mins). The cost of the journey is 40YTL

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

how to reach Goreme and tour around

by mindcrime Updated Oct 31, 2008

a taxi in Goreme

You can easily reach Goreme by bus from Ankara(5,5h) or Istanbul(11h). A night bus from Istanbul will bring you in Goreme early in the morning and can easily catch a daily tour that usually start at 09:30. The tours return about 18:00 so you can also take a night bus for Istanbul. Of course, you need at least 3 days to see the basic sights of Cappadocia.

For your return you can also choose between the 4 different bus companies(Metro, Kent, Nevsehir Seyahat and one more) that have their offices at the central square offering 1 or 2 night buses to Istanbul (usually around 19:30-20:30) and some of them one morning bus but in that case you will be all day in a bus. The bus ticket for Istanbul is about 50 YTL(30euro), I used Metro company.

If you fly by plane you will reach the airport of Kayseri. The distance for Goreme/Urgup in big enough(90km) so the air companies have private buses that will take you to/from the airport with a small fee if you book in advance. call at +90 384 3414688 or visit their site :www.argeus.com.tr

If you have your own car you will enjoy Cappadocia and you can stop wherever you want but there are also many local buses between the villages. Most of them start from Nevsehir which is 10km away.

If you don’t have much time use the daily tours of the local travel agents. Usually they have two different daily tours, one for the SW part of Cappadocia and one for the NE part.
    A daily tour includes a visit to one underground city, one hike in a valley (3-7km), a monastery, photo stops along the way, shopping stops(in Avanos for pottery demonstration, in Uchisar for wine tasting etc) and a lunch in a nice restaurant. The cost of a daily tour is about 60YTL(35euro) per person. I used Heritage Travel because some friends suggested them to me but most of the travel agent serve the same route. The people at Heritage Travel are very friendly and the guides know very well what they do/show/tell so I recommend them. Their office is at Kelebek Hotel.

If you have more days and some extra money hire a private driver (and a guide if possible) and ask to see some more places. I stayed 4 days so I had the opportunity to see some other parts of Cappadocia this way, especially at the SE part of Cappadocia, with many photo stops.

One other option is walk/hike at the valleys starting from Goreme. Its free and you will walk among the unique landscape of the area.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Goreme-Zelve Road

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Oct 25, 2008

On the Goreme-Zelve road

After exploring the Goreme Valley during several hours we went to the Zelve Valley with its wonderful fairy chimneys. It took us 15 minutes. The landscapes of Cappadocia are magnificent and I was taking video all the way.

You may watch my 1 min 58 sec VIDEO-Clip Goreme-Zelve road with popular Turkish music by Sertap Erener – Kumsalda out of my Youtube channel.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

How to get to Göreme

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Oct 25, 2008

On the Kaymakli - Goreme road

Göreme is situated in the middle of a triangle formed by the three towns of Nevsehir, Ürgüp and Avanos, and lies at the meeting point of four valleys in the middle of the Cappadocia region.

You may get there by bus from Ankara (5 times a day, 4 hours in a way), from Istanbul (3 times a day, 12 hours in a way), from Nevsehir (2 times an hour, 30 minutes in a way), from Urgup (2 times an hour, 20 minutes in a way).

We reached Goreme after excursion to Kaymakli underground city. It took us about half an hour. The landscapes of Cappadocia are magnificent and I was taking video all the way.

You may watch my 1 min 37 sec VIDEO-Clip Goreme Valley by bus with Turkish pop music by Kaan – Oynayalim out of my Youtube channel.

Instant Answers: Goreme

Comments

Goreme Transportation

Reviews and photos of Goreme transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Goreme sightseeing.