Goreme Warnings and Dangers

Trails

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Goreme

• Pigeon Valley

by vijayprimlani Written Jun 24, 2014

My wife and I did the Pigeon Valley trail 10 days ago. The trail isn't too hard if you have good walking shoes on. And be very careful, not to go off track, as you will not see anyone en route to warn you. I had a harrowing experience at one point. The ground was slippery, and at one sharp turn the slope was fairly steep. I was only able to see the depth of the fall 20-25 meters) after taking a few steps into the slope. When I realized it was too slippery for me to continue safely, I tried turning back. This was quite tricky, but here I am.

Mind you, my wife did manage the very slope I was stuck on, perhaps due to her lighter frame and better shoes, or better walking technique! After backtracking I had to take another route to press on. This route was much longer (and much steeper), but wasn't slippery. After this one-off scare, we got back on track, and the rest of the journey was easy.

A beer is a must after this.

• National/State Park

Toasted Sandwich

by balhannah Updated Jul 30, 2009

Something to be aware of is a Toasted Sandwich may not be anything like the one you have at home. Mine certainly wasn't! The toasted cheese sandwich I ordered was between at thick completely crusted piece of bread (like a roll, or end piece of bread)?? and ...................it tasted revolting!

ASTHMATICS

Goreme Area

I am Asthmatic, so usually have my "puffer" with me. Walking around Goreme, and climbing amongst the Fairy Chimneys, you definitely do not want to forget it as I did one day!
    I lost my breath, this was because I was with a guide, who set a fairly fast pace, and we were climbing a difficult area.
    I found walking at my pace, I was alright. I learnt my lesson, Check whats in my bag before leaving!

Don't forget a Hat and water either, there isn't anywhere to buy more if you get off the beaten track like I did.

WALKING ALONE

Trails

The area of Cappadocia is a place begging to explore.

As mentioned previously, the trails are not the best for walking, and you could easily have an accident.

In June, when I visited, sometimes I only met one other person in a day, so If you did break a leg or something, you could be lying in agony for quite a long time. Take your Mobile, I do not know if you get reception, or tell your Hotel or somebody what you are doing that day, and that you will be back that night, at least if something happens, perhaps somebody may come looking for you.

WALKING SHOES

Walking trail near Goreme

This tip may seem commonsense, but believe me, there are people out there that don't use their brain! I saw such, a Woman in Stilletos! how on earth did she manage not to break her neck, I do not know.

I invested in a good pair of "runners" designed for walking, and it was money very well spent. In this area, the tracks are on the loose volanic dust, and where people have constantly walked, it is very loose, and next thing you know, you are on one big scary slide, sometimes heading down the hill!! There are no hand rails, steps, grass or anything to grab hold of to save yourself.
    At least with shoes designed for walking, they have a good grip on them, even then, I still had a few scares, and luckily, no broken bones or twisted ankles.

• FAIRYCHIMNEY's Profile Photo

For solo travellers

by FAIRYCHIMNEY Written Apr 12, 2007

Cappadocia is totally safe ; but if your going for trekking or climbing yourselves i recommend you to follow wallmarks only.Dont go for an adventure yourself as you can easily fall off somewhere,get lost and end up on the edge of a cliff.Cappadocia treks harder than it seems if you dont follow the walking route.

i put down the telephone number of jenderme (in case you get lost)

• murta's Profile Photo

Walking in the Pigeon Valley

by murta Updated Apr 6, 2006

I heard that Pigeon Valley between Goreme and Uchisar doesn't offer an easy walking trail. It might be advisable not to walk here without a guide or a detailed map.
    In fact, somebody from my hostel got lost with a group of people. They made it back but late.

• Adventure Travel

• morgr's Profile Photo

Derinkuyu blocked areas

by morgr Written Dec 23, 2004
    Closed passage

In the underground city of Derinkuyu you will come accross a few of these closed off areas. Presumably they have shut them because there is a risk of collapse beyond there. So don't go pulling out a chisel and hammer and trying to get through!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Camera, film and battery

by MalenaN Written Dec 28, 2003

When I was going to fly the hot air balloon I was told to bring a lot of film. So of course I did.
    But what happened when I was going to take the first picture? There were five pictures left to take and the battery lamp was indicating low battery. What a catastrophy! The battery was not old but I must have left the camera on over the night.
    There was not battery left to change to a new film and I couldn't take more pictures.
    But I was lucky!
    It turned out that someone in the same balloon as me had an extra battery which he gave me. In the future I will always have an extra battery in my bag, just in case.

• Hot Air Ballooning

Instant Answers: Goreme

Comments

Goreme Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Goreme warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Goreme sightseeing.