Harran Travel Guide

• Harran
  • Things to Do

Harran Things to Do

• Castle

Possibly built on the site of the temple for the God of the moon... this fortress was restored just in the nick of time for the Crusaders approach. The crusaders, as we know, won and kept the fortress going until they got bored and moved on.I clearly did not read and digest my Lonely Planet well enough because it was only on leaving Harran I...

• Islam's first university

In the late 8th and 9th centuries Harran became a centre for translating works of astronomy, philosophy, natural sciences, and medicine from Greek to Syriac and then into Arabic. Many important scholars possibly even Jābir ibn Hayyān, the alchemist.The ruins of the university are here for anybody to see and go look at. For me, viewing...

• Beehive houses

These houses are constructed entirely from adobe and without the use of any wood. The method of makng them has remained unchanged for approximately 3000 years. These house are unique to Turkey and northern Syria.None of the beehive houses are actually lived in now but they can be visited. The Harran Kultur Evi allows you to wander around inside and...

Harran Restaurants

• suvanki's Profile Photo

by suvanki Updated Jun 14, 2005

I'm not sure if this cafe sold food or not _ I was offered a coca cola and a dish of nuts- both were very welcomed! I was also offered a roll up of local tobacco- nothing more sinister!
    While I was sat enjoying my cold drink, a bag of silk scarves was produced! I was feeling very hot and tired, and not really upto a haggling session, however, the scarves were quite stunning1 I was told similar would cost the equivelant of £12 in Istanbul. I eventually succummbed, and bought a red and blue scarf (which I now carry on all my travels, and would be distraught if I lost it!!!!) for the equivelent of £3! it wasn't until I was back in my hotel, that I realised what a bargain I had, and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy a few more!!

Favorite Dish: Fraid I didn't try any food, just a cola and a tray of nuts- the attraction was the atmosphere- for me as a lone female traveller, and the only foreigner that had visited this village in weeks, I was made to feel very special!
    This cafe was different to others I'd visited in Turkey as it was more Arabic in design, and the men wore Arabic headwear.

Tented cafe, Harran
    • Religious Travel

Harran Shopping

• suvanki's Profile Photo

by suvanki Written Jun 12, 2005

During my visit, I didn't see any shops. (Althogh LP states there is a souvenir shop at the entrance near the Jandarma post- fraid I missed it!) However, while I was enjoying a much needed cold drink in the canopied cafe, bags of silk scarves were produced by the cafe owner.
    I was told that these were a lot cheaper than in Istanbul etc!
    I soon spotted an attractive navy and dark red silk square, which after haggling purchased for about £3.
    I was offered the chance to buy others, but declined.
    This is one of those occassions where I kicked myself later!! I was tired and feeling a bit pressured (in hindsight, I wasn't unduly pressured, but was anticipating being so! (I was the only visitor for a while)
    My scarf has accompanied me on all of my travels since, and has been useful as a head scarf, for visiting mosques etc, as a warm cover for overnight bus journeys, also as a sarong/dress. Oh I wish I'd bought a couple more!!

What to buy: Well, these silk squares were the only things I saw to buy, but things might have changed since

What to pay: I paid the equivelant of £3- no doubt prices will have inflated since.
    Whatever the p[rice haggle!, but believe the sales pitch- I found that similar in Istanbul was about 4 times as much!

Cafe, Harran
    • Religious Travel

Harran Local Customs

• Children 'begging'

Well, I was going to put this in the warnings and dangers section, But- A lot of the guide books warn that the children in Harran will descend en masse demanding money and pens! So, I was well prepared for this happening, but I hadn't travelled with armfuls of pens. (or unlimited money!)Ok, as soon as I left the safety of my mini bus, I was met by...

• Tattooed lady

Afraid it's not clear on this picture, but the lady with blue slippers has tattoo markings on her face, apparently quite a few of the older females in Harran have these markings.I tried to find out why, and what for, but my guide just said for decoration.When I asked if I could take her photo, I was told that this was ok- but after I'd taken it,...

• houses in shape of termitariums

.roofs,in form of sugar loaf,are made of corbellings of raw soil bricks.that takes the place of wooded framing,through lack of wood.see also,as in many places in SW turkey,bedroom outside!one can find similar houses,in north syria.

Harran Off The Beaten Path

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo

by cbeaujean Updated Nov 26, 2004

built (1032) on the site of sin,the god moon in sabeans time...(a long time ago)

follow track un west side of walls.

stronghold
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Harran

Comments

Explore Deeper into Harran
Map of Harran