Van Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Van

• easterndream's Profile Photo

Akdamar Restaurant: Akdamar Restaurant and Camping

by easterndream Updated Jun 4, 2011

The Restaurant is just opposite the Akdmar Island where the boats go to the Island.
    They have very delicious fish from the Lake and traditional foods
    and camping is available with hot water. Camping is free

Favorite Dish: Tava and Lake Van fish

o Gun Pide: Traditional Lahmacun

by Behi Updated Mar 14, 2010
    Lahmacun at o Gun Pide

2nd & last meal was 2 another dishes of Lahmacuna (a Traditional meal, like pizza) in 2nd visit of Van.
    this time at small shop in far west of Kazim Karabekir cad. as I guess no tourist go there.

the good point was u can see the Lahmacun process also this small restaurant main food is Lahmacun.

I will go there again for more delicious dishes of Lahmacun for 1.5TL(2010/88)

Halil Ibrahim Sofrasi: 1st taste of Lahmacun

by Behi Written Mar 14, 2010
    Lahmacun at Halil Ibrahim Sofrasi

we had our 1st launch in 2nd visit of Van at Halil Ibrahim Sofrasi a clean & Lux restaurant with polite waiters.
    this time we looked for Lahmacun, a Traditional meal, it's like pizza.

they have 4 type of Lahmacun in Halil Ibrahim Sofrasi.
    we tried ordinary Lahmacun (5TL) & one with meat slices (9TL) + a glass of Ayran(Doq in persian) & a bottle of water (2010/88)

Damak Kebap: Aduna Kebap at Damak Kebap

by Behi Updated Jul 25, 2009

Aduna Kebap at Damak Kebap

we arrived to van at ~10 pm, we were very hungry, walked to south of Cumhuriyet cad. & found small shop the Damak Kebap & it's very hospitable owner.

we had Aduna Kebap, it is something like as Kabab Kobide in Iran but different Delicious taste.

2 skewer of spicy grind meat with salad costs & a glass of water for 6 TL (2009/88)

It was the best meal that I had in van.

Safa 3 chorba Pacha: 1st breakfast at Safa 3

by Behi Updated Jul 25, 2009

chorba at Safa 3

We start 1st morning at van with Chorba (soup) in Safa 3.

chorba Pacha restaurants are same as Kale pazi in Iran, serve head & leg of limbs but difference is they don't serve a full leg or head just slice of meat in soup (Pacha).

Chorba seems was simple delicious spicy soup without meat.
    & after meal they served us with a cup of tea.

Prices (2009/88):
    chorba 3 TL
    Pacha 3.5 TL

Yigitoglu: Don't Miss The Ice Cream

by Behi Updated Jul 23, 2009

Ice Cream

They still produce & serve Ice Cream in the old style & it was very interesting for me to experience it which it's about 40 years that we don't have it in Iran.

Don't miss the yummy Ice Creams just for 1 TL. (2009/88)

Akdamar restaurant: Kurdish meal

by Behi Updated Jul 23, 2009

Kurdish meal at Akdamar restaurant

after visiting Akdamar island we had 2nd lunch at Akdamar restaurant that located opposite of Akdamar Iskelesi(harbor).
    the top 2 meals were a Kurdish meal (Meat+Tomato+Red rice) for 15 TL
    & a sea food by Van Fishes for 12.5 TL
    & 1 TL for bottle of water. (2009/88)

I liked the Kurdish meal the taste was interesting but it was expensive!

• Hiking and Walking
    • Sailing and Boating

Don't Miss The Breakfast in Van

by Behi Written Jul 23, 2009

The Breakfast in Van

at last day in Van, we just had half hour to find somewhere for breakfast.
    we checked the alleys around Kazim Karabekir junction & just found a tea house & its friendly owner invited us to have his own breakfast, we didn't accept his honest invitation & then guided us to shop in alley around the Tamara hotel.

at last we found the small cafe & our in style Breakfast: Butter, honey, milk cream, local cheese with herbs, yogurt with herbs & a glass of turkish tea.
    the price was 7 TL (2009/88)

Breakfast in van is special meal & great experience that should not miss. specially milk cream & yogurt with herbs has particular & interesting taste.

Ustam catering: Sulu Yemek & Pilav

by Behi Written Jul 22, 2009

Sulu Yemek & Pilav at Ustam catering

we had our 2nd dinner at Ustam the bigger & luxe restaurant rather than last ones.

The Sulu Yemek (Eggplant+meat+Potato) & Pilav (Rice) & Ayran(Doq in persian) was what we had for 4.5 TL (2009/88)
    I don't dislike it & the taste was different but I won't have it again.

• Hiking and Walking

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo

VAN STYLE BREAKFAST

by Arkeolog Written Feb 23, 2009

As every friend or relative who has been there before will tell you, breakfast in Van is something you must not miss. Breakfast restaurants line an entire street and are famous for their local products.

Favorite Dish: Tourist guidebooks all speak highly of the breakfast menu, which includes Van's famous herb cheese, honey, cream and other items with peculiar local names.

• ozalp's Profile Photo

Hacibaba Corba ve Paca Salonu: You can find this disgusting, but…

by ozalp Written Nov 10, 2008

“Corba” means soup and “paca” the legs of cow and lamb. This restaurant offers only soups, especially the soups from the lower parts of legs, heads and tripe. I am very fond of tripe soup and one evening I couldn’t resist the call of this restaurant. It is on one of the main streets and we walked in front of it several times. That night, we were tired and didn’t want anything we already tried there. After so much meat and breakfast maybe the best option was vegetable but there isn’t much vegetable in Van. So, we tried the tripe soup and wanted a grilled or boiled half lamb head. They weren’t as good as mom’s tripe or head but not bad. Just don’t forget to add some garlic and vinegar to your soup.

Sifa Lokantasi: Modest choice

by ozalp Updated Nov 10, 2008

Well?

This is the first restaurant we tried in Van after leaving the luggage to hotel. Van area has delicious meat, and I love meat dishes. So I ordered grilled ribs. What a taste it was! Even the place is not a special one, they served us very well. Waiter brought us salad and special bread. The bread was so good, and he kept serving us until we said “Enough thanks.”
    After we were all full, they served us a delicious tea. We asked and learned the ingredients. It has cinnamon and clover, it was a winter tea. It helped a lot after eating too much.
    Waiter was extremely helpful. We asked about the places we heard and he showed us the directions and gave advices. He was our first experience with “eastern hospitality”.

Their place is just across Bayram Hotel.

Favorite Dish: Grilled ribs.

• ozalp's Profile Photo

Sacibeyaz: If you don’t want local tastes

by ozalp Updated Nov 10, 2008

First day we asked for Van cuisine and somebody told us Sacibeyaz. We went there and saw that it was a modern Café – Bistro. So returned and found Sifa Lokantasi.
    This place serves deserts, ice cream, beverages and some dishes from international cuisine. If you want something familiar, you can visit Sacibeyaz. Else, go somewhere offering local tastes. ‘Cause there is nothing special here.
    We had some ice cream and a cup of the here. Ice cream was good.

Seref Sahin: Lokanta

by ozalp Written Nov 10, 2008

This one is the only “restaurant kind of restaurant” (don’t follow me, I don’t know what I’m talking about) on breakfast street. Restaurant's name is also the owner's name. Seref Sahin is a famous character. Many important people (politicians, musicians etc.) call Seref Sahin before their arrival and order his special lamb kebab (a whole lamb stays in an oven for long hours). It takes long time to cook, so it is a must ordering it before.
    While we were having breakfast in our first morning, he and another man were cleaning okras for lunch. I love okra but couldn’t visit this famous restaurant during my stay.

Sutcu Fevzi: Since 1952

by ozalp Written Nov 10, 2008

This place is a trademark in Breakfast Street. It is between Birkoc and Seref Sahin’s restaurant. It was at the top of my list before going to Van, and it is still there.
    Since I live in the west part of Turkey and Van is at the east, the first day I woke up at 5.30 or something. It was normal, because sun was bright already. We were at Sutcu Fevzi at 6.00 a.m. When I think about the breakfast we had, I realize that even 6.00 a.m. was late.
    The waiters of the place welcome you at the street. There are several breakfast restaurants, and you can choose another one, too. All the waiters are incredibly kind, helpful.
    First day I couldn’t stop myself and tried many different dishes. With the support of unlimited tea service, I felt like I wouldn’t walk again. I was feeling dizzy. After paying the bill, we told them –as if we were apologizing- that we wanted to have breakfast in other restaurants, so we wouldn’t come again. The waiter we talked asked “Why? Have we done something wrong?”

(This is one of the most important memories I had in Van. I started to believe in people after years. Who could ask this question after the high quality service he gave? I think this is pure innocence.)

Well, we said that but we returned to Sutcu Fevzi after our second breakfast. And the waiter welcomed us again with a smiling face. We had all our breakfasts in Sutcu Fevzi, except the second day, and I know if I go to Van again, I’ll have all my breakfasts in this place.

Favorite Dish: Almost all. Braised meat and eggs, the Van cheese (otlu peynir), honey-cream-walnut trio.

Instant Answers: Van

Comments

Van Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Van restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Van sightseeing.