Safety Tips in Turkey

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Turkey

• hungariangirl896's Profile Photo

Beware of Organized Day Trips/Tours

by hungariangirl896 Written Jan 24, 2014

You should be really careful when planning day trips, excursions, etc. in a tour group in Turkey (especially in the coastal towns). Many times when you purchase just a ferry ticket to certain destinations in Turkey, the seller will not tell you upfront that it is part of an organized tour and you will not be able to explore on your own. Even worse, the tour guides will only take you to places where you might spend a lot of money (like a jewelry or leather store). Some of the items in these stores cost several thousand euros and the sales clerks will pester you the entire time. In general, when buying a ferry ticket or organized day trip, make sure you get all the details upfront, so you know what to expect and don't feel cheated or disappointed on your trip.

Tourist Trap!
    • Cruise

• taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

Visa Entry to Turkey

by taurean_traveller Written Jan 12, 2014

Not sure where to post this but just found out that any visitors to Turkey now require an e-visa after April 2104.
    Instead of the pay £10 at entry that has been the norm until now.You have to apply on line fill in and pay on line.
    gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice...
    Apologies if this has been posted and is general knowledge but as I am going to Turkey in September glad I found it

• Adventure Travel

• KUSADASI DISHONEST EPHESUS JEWELLERY STORE

by agotawatt Written Jun 18, 2013

This storeis located at the end of the CRUISE PIER and is the 1st on the right side as you walk off your ship, any ship
    EPHESUS JEWELLERY .A beautiful store within and without BUT BEWARE, they lie and cheat you.
    They sell fake gems...I was on RSSC Mariner 23 APRIL 2013 bought what I was sold as EMERALDS and I know my gems, BUT on returning home the stone is crysophase.
    Fortunately the gold and diamonds are real ....BUT ADVICE TO ANYONE IN THE VICINITY STAY AWAY AND VERBALLY ACCUSE THEM OF THEIR SHIFFTY DEALINGS.
    They dont expect you to be able to come back at them BUT I am working on it at this moment with a Turkish contact.

• Cruise

• vpas's Profile Photo

Carry your hotel card with you

by vpas Written Dec 14, 2012

Not many people in certain parts of Turkey speak English. The pronunciations of the names of the places sounds very different from the spellings. So it is better to carry your hotel card in case you want to ask for the way to get there!! This holds true for shops that you are interested in going to. In case you have their card, do carry it and ask for directions using the card.

• mickeyboy07's Profile Photo

Crazy Drivers

by mickeyboy07 Written Sep 25, 2011

I had been warned by fellow friends and travellers who had been to Turkey and im glad we didnt hire a care for our two week stay here,which we usually do when we visit a new country.
    They are insane no respect for other drivers,even pedestians,swerving in and out of lanes mounting curbes at silly miles an hour and parking in the middle of the roads are just a few of their tricks.And i thought Greek drivers were the worst but they are safe compared to these guys.Beware

• Cycling
    • Motorcycle

• kayakdocjohn's Profile Photo

Visa for Americans - you can be ripped off!

by kayakdocjohn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Be very careful about what you pay for a visa at the Turkish border. I have travelled many times in Turkey and each time you enter you have to buy a visa. Most visa agents are honest, but some will take advantage of the fluctuation in prices to overcharge a tourist. For example, in Nov 2004, the visa agent in Bodrum demanded $100. I had previously checked the price, so I put up a big fuss and asked to see his official price list. Of course, the current price was $20. He said that he had just "forgotten" the current price and smiled and accepted the correct $20. Because the price fluctuates, be sure you ask around lots of travellers about the current price and if the price seems outrageous, ask to see the official list.
    To be well-prepared, you could look at the official turkish embassy site before you go so you would know correctly the current price.

• VanessaRaney's Profile Photo

Foreign women, expect to be hit on aggressively

by VanessaRaney Written Feb 17, 2011

I've never had as many men (seven) approach me with offers of sex in so short a time (three months)! I experienced repeated advances and stalking in Bakırköy and Taksim, and unwelcome kissing and touching in Sirkeci. You can be targeted even if you're fat and bald - as I was.

• Women's Travel

• Do not buy a carpet here

by jackorn Written Dec 25, 2009

Do NOT buy a carpet here!”
    ________________________________________________________
    Do not buy a carpet in Turkey and have it delivered to your country. My wife and I bought a carpet in Cappadocia and we rue the day. The carpet finally arrived but was visibly damaged in several places. The carpet factory is Anatolia Hali. The address is Goreme Nevsehir and it’s in Cappadocia. The salesman told us it was a dowry carpet but that he got it on consignment because it was too big for the house the young couple were moving to. He later claimed in an e-mail that he had told us it was a USED carpet and we should not expect perfection but this is untrue: he had told us that it was a dowry carpet and that it could NOT be used by the woman who made it. We would never have bought a used carpet We bought the carpet, and the man guaranteed in writing that the price included the carpet, delivery, any custom charges and insurance – everything. About seven weeks later we got the carpet but it was clearly damaged. I took photos of the damaged parts, and e-mailed them to the salesman asking him what he would suggest we do. This started a chain of “apologetic”, vague notes from him but never a word about compensation.
    We had given up trying to reason with him but about a month later we received a bill from TNT express for $178.49 for custom duty. I wrote to the salesman, expressing my shock about this and another chain of utterly insincere “apologetic”, vague notes followed. Again, no assurance of compensation.
    I had to pay the custom duty myself and I told the salesman that I would tell the world about his way of doing business unless he compensated me within 10 days.
    That was about 4 months ago. He did not send me the money. I am sure that not all merchants in Cappadocia are dishonest and will stop at nothing to make money but please beware of buying anything at this carpet factory, especially if it has to be delivered to another country! And do your friends a favor by sending this warning to them. Turkey was a wonderful country to visit but the incident with the carpet left a very bad taste in our mouths.

• Seniors

• BEWARE TAXI DRIVERS IN BELEK ANYALYA

by lifepro Updated Dec 12, 2009

Belek Antalya is upscale tourist zone with some of the best hotels. Consequently best location for taxi drivers trying to hustle and rip off the tourists. They will give you wrong fixed tarif, they will turn on 'night rate ' during the middle of the day , they will not return your change back if you do not give them exact amount, and if you object to any one of these they will yell, screem , and be aggressive towards you so that you will be happy to be alive !! Unfortunately there is no place to complain and there is no control mechanism. This is why they are so free to be like they are. Use hotel service as much as possible. Inquire about local bus service . Walk if you can. But never take a taxi. If you have to talk with the hotel desk and find out the exact fare and prepare the exact change and before get on any taxi give the license plate number to someone who can monitor your trip.

• Spa and Resort
    • Beaches
    • Golf

• ilovenewjersey's Profile Photo

Warning when your airline's Turkish Airlines(THY)

by ilovenewjersey Updated Dec 5, 2009

This experience is in no way disrespecting THY or the Turkish people but just one horrible experience I've encountered. Maybe I was in Turkey in the wrong time.

11/22/2009 (Sunday)
    My flight back to US was a disaster. I was in the airport 2 hours prior to my departure. I Was standing in line for 1.5 hours to check-in my luggage, when I finally reached the Attendant, I was told that my flight had been cancelled. No announcement was made, THY had a backlog of flights from 2 days. People had been on waiting list for 2 days. There was no system/contingency plan, passengers were left on their own to find their way out of Istanbul, it was chaotic.

The lines were long, because people or some passengers who have good connections(maybe relatives) with THY were cutting infront of us, an older gentleman was complaining, asking for the Supervisor but THY staffs kept ignoring him.

Wheww! At that time, I swear I'll never go back to this place ever again. I finally hooked-up with a couple of Canadians, and found a flight out to New york City. I told the attendant that I don't need any connection to New Jersey as long as I can get out of Turkey...

Bottom line is...You have to be at the airport 2 hrs prior to your departure(international), or you might encounter difficulties checking-in.

• lobopequeno's Profile Photo

More accidents during Ramazan

by lobopequeno Written May 26, 2009

During Ramazan driving on Turkish roads can become hazardous, especially in more rural conservative areas, e.g. in in Central & Eastern Turkey.

Be careful especially in traffic before sunset because believers have not been eating for hours and are pretty exhausted / unconcentrated. Additionally, most are in a rush to get home/in a restaurant for dinner and drive rather ruthless. The increase in traffic accidents during this time (and bank holidays) is statistically proven.

Restaurants are also more crowded during this time, especially for "early birds". Many restaurants offer only limited or special Ramazan menues.

• Motorcycle

• mariamaraki's Profile Photo

Marmaris."sell roundtrip"

by mariamaraki Written May 20, 2009

I made a day excursion from Rhodes to Marmaris by boat.In Rhodes said me that the boat arrives at Marmaris at 10 'o clock in the morning and departures at 17 'o clock.From the port would transfer us buses from|to the city center(it was about 4 klm far) with a tourist guide and they would make us a small roundtrip before.It sounded very nice at that time but they went us at first to a jewelry (of course to buy) for 1 hour than to a carpet store and after a demostration of carpets we were free.It was 13 'o clock and at 15 'o clock we musted be at the meeting point to drive back to the port although that the boat departures at 17 'o clock and it was about 10 minutes far.You can imagine why that happens....because they made us a stopover to a traditional sweet factory of course to buy sweets!!!In Marmaris we payed 50 euros for lunch for two persons!!!If someone is planning to make this trip should take a taxi from the port to the city center for 7 euros and will have the day free.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Drinking

by Gili_S Written May 17, 2009

This is always good to remind ourselves, especially those from central and northern Europe, Turkey has Mediterranean climate and it can be very hot, it is recommended drinking a lot, much more then we usually need in the north, and I do mean water and soft drinks ;-)
    *Feeling a slight headache might be a first sign of dehydration, stop all activities, get away from the sun, sit in the shade, have a drink and rest.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

No Swimming When Drunk

by Gili_S Written May 17, 2009

I guess I could have long list of dangers here, from the traditional tourist point of view (which is in every country) to the complications it might be in Turkey regarding many issues such politics, religion, laws etc, so better just avoid such issues and don’t go swim in the sea when drunk.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Sensitive conversation topics

by mikelisaanna Updated Jan 10, 2009

Turks are very friendly people and we had many great conversations with them during our stay in their country. However, be aware that there are certain topics where you have to be very careful. These are, in no particular order:

1.) Islam. 98% of the Turks are muslims. Even if a Turk looks secular, they may be religious, and will not appreciate you criticizing their religion.

2.) Ataturk. He is their country's founder and greatest hero. Speaking negatively or sarcastically about him is likely to produce very negative reactions.

3. The Armenian events of the First World War. The Turks strongly dispute the accusations that have been made regarding those events and will give you an earful if you bring up the topic.

4.) The Kurds. Turks have a wide variety of opinions regarding the Kurds. Let them bring up the topic first and hear their opinion before opening your mouth and inadvertantly starting an argument.

In general, keep in mind that most Turks are very proud of their country and don't like to hear it being criticized. They will, however, usually be willing to discuss current politics and foreign affairs. Just realize that there are boundaries, especially the ones that we listed above.

• Business Travel

128 Reviews - 208 Photos

Instant Answers: Turkey

• taurean_traveller's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Not sure where to post this but just found out that any UK visitors to Turkey now require an e-visa after April 2104.
    gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice...

• Jul 18, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Istambul, Bursa and Izmir are very safe cities, perhaps more than other western european cities of the same seize.
    Other parts I don´t know because I where only there

Turkey Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Turkey warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Turkey sightseeing.
Map of Turkey