Desert Safari, Dubai

4 out of 5 stars 51 Reviews

Several Companies to Choose From +971 4 456 9944
    Desert Safari, Dubai U.A.E.
    by TrendsetterME
  • ok
    by machomikemd
    the group column in the desert safari
    by machomikemd

Desert safari 3 ,Camel ride

by rosequartzlover1 Written Feb 21, 2012

My driver for day trip drove us back but I told him that we booked for night tour as well so he called other driver to pick us up along the way.But I heard that now we don't need to change vehicles ,it's the whole day tour with one vehicles,but if you are only one person ,then you have to join with another tourist.
    The desert night is quite an experience.They brought us into traditional life Bedouins.We arrived the place before sunset,walking around the setting bedouins camp,seeing how they prepare our BBQ dinner.Ummm...good smell...and look yummy..!
    They let us enjoy sunet moment on snad dune around.Then I have chance to ride camel for the first time my life.It's a little awkward while climbing on camel.It's mix feeling between '
    "Do it" because I've never done this before ,and "Don't do it" because I feel pity to the camel .They have to sit up and down for tourist like this for so many times a day and everyday.
    Anyway I did it and not long ,it's only 1 minute just to walk around that area.It's good experience but I still feel guilty anyway.

Waiting for sun set . My camel.

Desert safari 2

by rosequartzlover1 Written Feb 20, 2012

After driving wild on sand dune.The next activity was "sand board"
    The drivers took us to a very high sand dune ,to let us play sand board.We walked up to the top of sand dune ,from there it looked so high,wonderring if I can do this or not.My friends and other tourists also looked hesitating,cuz all of us not that expert of this .Most of us were first time sand boarding.Some other men including tourists and staffs started without fearing ,and it looked so easy to do.So we sarted to try.The staff said if we are too scared so better try to do backward then.It so fun so I did it again but I have only 2 chances to do it,because time is out.So if you'd like to do it many times ,don't be hesitated ,do it immediatly so you can be able to do it many times.
    The sun started to set so this day time desert tour had to be finished. Many people went back but for us we were going to do the knight tour.

My sand board. Here we go!!!!   Yaaaaaaaaakkk...!!!! Sun setting ,so we prepare to go back.

Desert safari 1

by rosequartzlover1 Written Feb 20, 2012

I've been to Dubai desert by A safari tour name "Knight desert safari" It's quite good.That moment of time they used mostly new and good condition vehicles.This tour started in the late afternoon. I guess the reason was not only to avoid the heat of the sun during day time but also to continue with the other tour which is knight safari.I think I paid 2 tours which was sand dune tour and knight tour.
    On the first picture showing cars from all tour company tried to show their customers how to drive up and down sand dunes.It looked fun.. yes,but when it's my turn I felt a little scared if car will collapse or not.After a while I felt better and then don't want to stop,want to do again and again.

Drivers having fun driving on sand dune. My friends and I.

• Dubai Safari things to do

by srilog88 Written Jan 9, 2012

The camp at the desert safari is all Included except for alcoholic drinks so do not be shy of asking for soft drinks dates tea or coffee The staff should offer all this at no cost.

Henna painting can also be done at no cost and the Sheesha area is also available at no cost.

My TIP is take part in all activities camel rides sand skiing and enjoy a full tour.

Desert Safari Jeep
    • Safari
    • Camping
    • Skiing and Boarding

• samitbabu's Profile Photo

Desert Safari : Rates and Schedule 2011

by samitbabu Updated Oct 26, 2011

The desert safari is one of the Must-Dos while you are in Dubai.
    Though there are many diffferent organizations arranging, it usually culminates to a couple of tents in the desert expanse.

One good option is to talk to the Hotel that you arestaying and ask them for the rates.
    A single booking can be done from AED 150 - 160 weekends and AED 125 - 150 weekdays.
    Group booking is always less

The program starts around 3.30 when the organizer picks you up from the hotel. After some inital commotion of meeting and picking others, at around 5 pm they meet at the desert Deflation point where they all congregate for the desert ride. After the tyres are flattened and some real bumpy Dune Bashing follows, riding or rolling up and down the sand dunes at 60kmph + speeds. Only 4X4 vehiclesare used for this.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO HAVE YOUR LUNCH EARLY THAT DAY TO GIVE YOURSELF AT LEAST THREE HOURS OF EMPTY STOMACH BEFORE THE RIDE. This is because many a people have been found dizzy and prone to throw up during or after the dune bashing.

After about an hour of such rides, everyone is taken for a nice drive inside the desert where all meet at one of the tents. Here you get refreshments, some arabic Henna Art, photo shoots in Arab dresses, and avulture show till the evening approaches. You also have sheesha tents ( smoking) and camel rides . Dune buggy rides are also available at a charge.

With the sun going down , preparations are made for an Arabic- Egyptian Belly Dance event ..usually performed by girls from Russia and East Europe. :) ..and not by Arab women.
    Dinner follows ( both Veg and non veg items in a mostly Arabic Menu with sweets and soft drinks thrown in ). The FOOD provided here is mostly S BARBECUED.

on Completion the organizers drop you off to your hotel around 10.30 pm.

Dune Bashing 2 Dune Bashing Belly Dancing
    • Motorcycle
    • Adventure Travel

• A day tour into the desert

by xuessium Updated Apr 4, 2011

Go sand-bashing!!! Yes, that is actually an activity you can do while in Dubai.

There are in fact, plenty of operators in Dubai offering sand-bashing. On the recommendations of 2 Singaporean gals I bumped into, I decided to try out Desert Rangers for a half-day tour. Now, do note, they're more expensive than most of their competitors but stories of 4WDs diving down sand dunes almost 4 storeys high was just too impossible to pass!

The 4WD picked me up from Jumeirah Free Beach where I had spent my morning at about 2pm. (I had a German couple and a family of Indians as tour mates).

The first stop was a toilet break at a dune buggy arena...unfortunately not included in the itinerary. It turned out, this was the place of conglomeration as about 30 mins later, a caravan of 4WDs began the journey into the desert.

I hope you like roller coasters for sand-bashing is 1 rough tumbling affair. You are bound to hit a few bumps and knocks as the 4WD went from one perilous edge to another, plunging down cliffs of sand and skidding off edges. Plenty of "Whoas!" were going around in my 4WD as it kicked and jostled around in the sand and 1 loud "Ouch!" when the husband of the Indian family bumped his head into the roof of the vehicle after one extra jumpy plunge.

Having ensured that stomachs had been churned plenty enough, it was off to a BBQ dinner under the stars as the vehicles drove to a Bedouin camp but not after a great Arabian sunset from atop 1 of the high dunes. The camp came with modern amenities, and folks can move among sections showcasing Arabian spices or choose to have your legs and hands painted with henna. Camels were also available for folks wanting to do a little bit of camel riding and this thrilled the kids no end. Just watch out for the jerks when the camels get up and go down.

Belly dancing and Sheesha-smoking provided the main after-dinner entertainment.

The tour left the campsite at about 9.30pm and I was back in Deira at about 10.20pm.

I paid 260 AED (circa Jan 08) for this.

• Singles

• Kisu's Profile Photo

by Kisu Updated Apr 4, 2011

Definitely worth to try!! If you like roller coasters, you'll love this! Lama Desert tours arrange Sand skiing, camel rides,city and shopping tours in Dubai and Sharjah, helicopter rides, trips to Al Ain, Abu Dhabi and fishing tours as well as crab hunting.....Trips vary from 4-6 hours and full day trips to even overnight safaris in the desert. I recommend Lama as it has great reputation and guides are experienced. You don't have to contact the company yourself, your hotel most probably will do it for you! Price for the 6 hour desert safari with BBQ and other activities was about 60-80€/person.

• Durfun's Profile Photo

4WD desert safari

by Durfun Written Jan 16, 2011

This is a fun activity for sure. Most such tours offer quite a lot, starting with picking you up from your hotel, taking you out towards the desert, when they deflate the tyres to offer greater surface area to grip the sand before entering the sand dunes. After this, the wild sand dune bashing begins.

A convoy of 4-wheel drives tackles the sand dunes, with the drivers manoeuvering the vehicles with such skill, whilst throwing the passengers about the place. You will be holding onto the roll-bars so you won't literally be thrown about, but I'm sure you can picture the scene.

Some of the vehicles around you even end up on 2 wheels momentarily. That is just such fun to see.. it all happens so fast, before the vehicle returns on all 4 wheels.

The dunes are of varying heights, and descending them is even more fun as you see how steep the descent is! Then the driver works his magic by negotiating the drop with a great deal of agility & quick thinking in terms of the route to take to prevent an outright tumble!!

Such excursions end with a stop at a 'traditional' camp which is set up such that it blends with it's sandy surroundings. Here you get to pose with camels & ride them, sample Arabic coffe & dates, then look around the various stalls like henna painting, sand art in bottles, etc.

There would be a large central square where a man will perform a traditional Egyptian dance, followed by a woman doing a belly dance. A buffet is set up for which you queue up, and bring your plate to your tables surrounding the central square, so you can admire the dancing while eating & drinking.

Amongst the stalls is also a hookah-smoking place to experiment with this. Further up there are also open wood-fires to warm to whilst admiring the scenes & activity all around you.

After some time relaxing, the drivers call you to return to the vehicles so that you can be dropped off at your hotel.

This brings your half-day safari to an end :-)

4WDs ready for some more action.. Tracks left by the many 4WDs Dunes with tracks.. 4WDs tackling the bumpy, sandy terrain Desert sunset from top of the dunes

• RocknRolla's Profile Photo

by RocknRolla Written Aug 3, 2010

With not much to do for nature lovers in the UAE desert safaris are cool. But check in advance how the camp will be. I have been twice for desert safari, the dune bashing is same but the camp was pathetic in the second time I went. Its better to check the reputaion of the tour operator in advance, especially if you have kids with u

Sand skating

• chizz's Profile Photo

Desert Jeep Safari

by chizz Updated Feb 8, 2010

You are picked up in a 4WD vehicle and transported to the sand dunes where you are taken on a hair raising jeep ride complete with wheel spins and turns! There are photo stops to admire the sunset before you are driven to the desert camp for a buffet meal (soft drinks are free, but alcohol is usually charged for) complete with belly dancer, camel rides, dressing up in traditional outfits, quad-biking (extra charge), falcon interaction, sand-boarding and henna tattoo painting. Activities do vary between companies.
    Companies that I have used are Arabian Adventures -
    and Arabian Nights - - both of which were very good.
    Tours run daily and you can be picked up at your hotel or any known landmark here in Dubai. We were picked up around 2.30pm and were back at our hotel around 9.30pm. The desert safari is probably my favourite touristy thing to do here in Dubai and I highly recommend it.

Belly Dancer at desert camp - Arabian Nights tour Mum with Arabian Nights jeep Mum on camel ride - jeep safari Henna Painting - jeep safari

• JessH's Profile Photo

Desert Tour - Dune Bashing with the professionals

by JessH Updated Jan 25, 2010

My mother is a tour guide and whe usually gives me some "insider information". Understandibly, with the recent boom in tourism there's a lot of work for her!

Most tour operators organize an pretty exciting variety of excursions & tours around the Emirates & Oman, for large groups & invididuals, sight-seeing tours in the cities & even ocean cruises. Check with your tour operator to assist you with your choice of hotel, and also in case you need to apply for a visit visa.

Most agencies run the "standard tourist programs", but prices tend to vary by quite a bit, so it pays to "shop around" & compare.

Many tour operators offer Desert Safaris (only camera shots!) eiter for 1/2 days, full days or overnight stays with dinner & entertainment in their respective desert camps. If you get sick easily, bring travel-sickness tablets... it gets rough & bouncy! :-)

A typical Desert Safari will start in the afternoon with some driving through the dunes & end at the respective organizer's desert camp where you will be treated to a buffet dinner, sand boarding, camel riding, music, drinks & belly dancing. For example: We have spent New Year's Eve and various other events at the SNTTA Camp & had a great time! (Don't worry: there are fully functional toilets with tiled floors & wash basins.)

Here's a list of reputable tour operators:
    SNTTA Emir Tours:
    Tel +971-4-282 9000

Arabian Adventures: (part of Emirates Airlines)
    Tel +971-4-303 4888

Desert Adventures:
    Tel +971-4-224 2800

Net Tours:
    Tel +971-4-266 6655
    Do you want to take the wheel into your own hands?
    Go on! Rent a 4x4 car & be daring!
    Click here for info & safety tips:

Large desert camp of SNTTA (Dubai) Quad bike in the desert (Dubai, UAE) Our campsite is invaded by tourists! Dubai Tourist-traffic-chaos in the Dubai desert :-) Comfortable seating & buffet (Dubai desert)
    • Camping

• Penelope4's Profile Photo

by Penelope4 Updated Sep 2, 2009

My most memorable activity in Dubai is - sorry you're wrong it's not shopping but - desert safari. I booked the tour through the hotel and in order not to favour any company in here, I will not provide any telephone number nor a Website because I've been to various hotels in Dubai and there's absolutely no problem in booking a desert safari. The hotels offer this tour!

The tour includes a hotel pick-up drop off. Don't be dismayed if the vehicle is a van or maybe a car. Tour agencies dealing in desert safari have been in the business for ages so nothing to worry, everything will turn out fine.

The right number of guests - as to location of the hotel or as to grouping (families or friends) - will be assigned to this type of vehicle which will remind you of Ferrari's speed and the temperament of the Arab drivers. Well the driver may not be an Arab but just the same, the desert itself will remind you of UAE's beauty.

The travel agent has a program that will make the desert safari spectacular - at least to many. After seeing some beautiful Flamingos along the highway, you and a couple of other groups will travel to the desert and will comprise the Fearless Convoy of the Moment. You will not believe how fast and how high those vehicles can go, stopping abruptly at the edge of the hill when you least expect them, making the vehicles hang like a weighing scale trying to find its equilibrium. There will be a number of stops where you will catch your breath and when you think you're about to die, the drivers bring you to a height where everything around you is orange - the sand, the sky and their faces too. Sunset in the UAE, truly awesome - you have to see it. And when you think you want to pay the Travel Agents more because of the highs you've just had, they bring the entire group to another place where some camels and tents await you. Those who just threw up during the trip may decide to look for the bathroom or to just have photos taken with camels or in Arab clothes. Others, specially the women, will have their hands painted with henna for free, the men will most likely grab the water pipe and those who could not care less about the things I mentioned will follow their noses to the great-smelling buffet that has been carefully set for them.

And when everybody's almost tired of chatting while watching the stars and the sky - comes the music and lo - a beautiful bellydancer! I was totally happy during this experience but now when I look back - I am wondering why there was no male bellydancer? Well, at least there was tea, coffee and Baklava before we started our way back to the city.

What I regret about the desert safari is that I did not have a digital camera at that time. And if I do the tour again, I'll make sure I won't eat anything one hour before.

Cost of the tour per person is around US$ 55 (all-inclusive). Pick-up is around 3:30 p.m. and drop-off is around 9:30 p.m.

• Shibiru's Profile Photo

by Shibiru Written Mar 2, 2009

It's very touristy, but fun! You pay around 150 - 200Dirhams for this:

- pick up at your hotel, or location between 3 - 4pm
    - you drive out to the desert and go Dune Bashing
    - watch the sunset from the dunes, get stuck in the sand sometimes...
    - drive to a traditional bedouin desert camp with carpets and cushions on the floor
    - camel ride, shisha, henna and pioctures with traditional costumes included
    - bellydancing should be part of it if she calls's great fun!
    - fantastic bbq under the starts
    - drop you off at home at around 9pm

It's a great experience!

Car got stuck in desert safari

• isildur06's Profile Photo

by isildur06 Updated Oct 11, 2008

There are some agencies which organize half day desert safaries with 4x4's. You only call them them at least one day before and tell them the hotel they stay. They appear at about 3 pm and take you with the 4x4 jeeps.
    The whole tour takes about 6 hours. Dinner with the belly dance show is included which happens in a sort of bedouin settlement in the middle of the desert.
    In our case the organization was Planet tours. We paid 250 UAE dirhems which is about 70 US $'s. The jeeps were Toyota Land cruisers. It was worth and fun but the organization had problems like the people who were in our jeep wanted the whole jeep for theimselves for a reason which only god knows why. so we were transferred to another one and on the way back also we were a victim of our jeep drivers courtesy to our share mates. He wanted to drop them first to their beloved shopping mall and we had an unvoluntary Dubai tour for about 1 hour.

Jeeps cooling off during the break Sun sets in the desert A farm in the desert End of the night
    • Safari

• toddecus's Profile Photo

Sand Dunes

by toddecus Written Sep 29, 2008

Not far out of Dubai are sand dunes that remind me of tunisia or the opening of star wars. We enjoyed the local customs and got to watch the sun set on the dunes. Well worth the time. Interesting that all the cars were Toyota Landcruisers.
    The belly dancing and meal were mediocre the riding around in the dunes was truly the highlight.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Dubai

• Oct 4, 2015 at 9:31 AM

In almost all countries prefer to rent cars and from anybody not to depend. As far as is reasonable in the UAE? Where to go? Cargets. What about Parking themselves near the attractions in Dubai?

Hotels Near Desert Safari