Gold Souq, Dubai

• Gard's Profile Photo

Shopping in the Gold Souk

by Gard Written Apr 22, 2003

One of many shops in the Gold Souk

I was pretty amazed when I walked through the Gold Souk. There are so many shops selling gold and the rings, necklaces and bracelets shine from the reflection of the light in the display windows. There are of course no prices on the different items so you have to ask to get a price estimate. The price is based on the weight of the item and also the complexity of the work. And the price is just a starting point because if you bargain the price will go down. The prices seem to be pretty good at least compared to what I’m used to here. And most of the items in Dubai are in 18 carat gold that means that it is better quality than in Norway (where most items are in 14 carat gold). The shop Hemendra Jewellers where we bought some of our gold had friendly salesmen but this was not the case for all the shops. Some of the shops we were in were not really interested in our demands they just wanted to sell something to us. I had a picture of a necklace that I was buying for a friend of some of the shops presented totally different necklaces and said “same, same”.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Gold Souke

by mvtouring Written Jun 17, 2012

Visiting the Gold Souke was rather interesting. If you are interested in buying jewellery then this is definately the place to go.

• Photography