Hamilton Favorites

• Favorites
    by grandmaR
    One of the little lighthouses
    Marker on a little coral island

Most Recent Favorites in Hamilton

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Hamilton Harbour ATONs

by grandmaR Updated Feb 7, 2007

Marker on a little coral island

Favorite thing: Since I am particularly interested in lighthouses, and also in boating, I made sure to be on deck when we were going into and out of the harbors. My husband would love to sail our own boat to Bermuda, and my cousin and also some friends have gone to Bermuda in their sailboats.

I found the ATONs (Aids to Navigation) particularly interesting.

There were both regular ATONs (many of which seemed to be in a minature lighthouse shape - unlike the ones we have in the states which are usually just a marker on the pole), and a lot of ranges. A range is a way to be sure the ship is in the channel. You sight along the line that you want the ship to follow, and put two markers along this line, one behind the other. If the ship is in the channel, the two markers will line up with each other.

• Cruise
    • Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Hamilton - Center of Bermuda

by grandmaR Updated Oct 10, 2005

Waterfront in 1995 with med-moored destroyer

Favorite thing: While Bermuda is best known for its beaches, golf and swimming, Hamilton, the capitol isn't the place for any of those things. What I liked about Hamilton was the shopping.

Hamilton, a centrally located town (city) and the capitol of the country, is right on the waterfront but NOT on the beach. While we were there a British destroyer was med-moored at the waterfront. (A med-moor is where the boat backs in to the pier and has an anchor off the front. It takes up less dock space that way) In the picture, it is visible just past the bus stop on the waterfront.

The other pictures are of sailboats from the Hamilton Princess in 1995 and in the harbor in 2004, and one of the Hamilton Princess from a cruise ship in 2004.

Fondest memory: From our hotel room which looked out on the harbor we observed many boats come and go. Some were big sailing vessels like the one pictured. I'm always happier when I have something interesting and beautiful in view. I took a lot of pictures of sailboats in the harbor.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Cruise

Instant Answers: Hamilton

Comments

Hamilton Favorites

Reviews and photos of Hamilton favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hamilton sightseeing.